I'm Free. You bunch of internet Quake addicts!!! I deleted my Quake directory.

FormerQuakeAddict

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

You bunch of internet Quake addicts!!! I deleted my Quake directory. I was
wasting too much of my life playing internet Quake.

and now I can:
1. Get to sleep at a normal time instead of 1 or 2 AM or ....
2. Be wide awake at work Monday through Thursday.
3. Do something besides play internet Quake, for who knows how many hours,
on weekends.
4. Get back to programming on my own computer.
5. Get a haircut for the first time in ? months.
6. Vacuum the apartment.
7. Get some new clothes.
8. Get a life again.
9. Climb up on some big boulder and stomp around like an ape yelling "I'm
FREEEEEE!".

I always said to my self "I'll just play for a few minutes". Then I'll
take the dog out and go to bed. Well it always ended up a few hours.
Well now I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! of that damn
internet Quake addiction.

So how many of you at a University are practically majoring in Quake?
Well delete your damn Quake directory if it's yours, or stay away from the
@#$%^& thing if it's not. Otherwise you will regret it.

I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Software Engineer &
Former Internet Quake Addict

ZyberGoat

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

I think you're problem goes FAR beyond just playing Quake alot...go to the
yellow pages, and look for "Doctors". You should be able to find a good
shrink in there.
--
ZyberGoat

E-mail: zybe...@hotmail.com
ICQ UIN:944556
Homepage:http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/1998/

(please remove the "nospam" from my reply email address)

FormerQuakeAddict <n...@spam.com> wrote in article
<5vf0bs$3n0$3...@darla.visi.com>...

gOMER

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

You'll be back for Quake2......either that or you'll be vacuuming your
apartment twenty times a day....your free..HAAAA..one day at time..

Jim Hendrickson

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

>Well now I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! of that >I'M

So tell me...was it the patch...

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Or the gum?

<FREEDOM FROM QUAKE IS WEARING OFF>

...watch out for those withdrawal symptoms, or the Great Shambler will get
you while you are asleep...

Jim

Thomas Weigle

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

In article <5vf0bs$3n0$3...@darla.visi.com>, n...@spam.com (FormerQuakeAddict) wrote:

> I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Yeah, right. You'll come back on your knees to your Quake CD. Be so sure.

/T
Quake. Beer. Cigarettes. Coffee. Sex. Junk food. Chocolate. Internet. Prodigy.
+-------------------t h o m a s w e i g l e--+
| home: http://www.algonet.se/~weigle |
| mail: weigle (at) algonet (dot) se |
| quake: http://iconofpain.org |
+--------------------------------r u i n e r--+

HaCkMaStEr

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

I tried to be free once. I deleated Quake and made some room on my hard
drive for Quake2. Then i figured....."hmmm, my clan need's me! I'm the
only low life bastard keeping this $hit together. I WANT MY QUAKE!!" then
I reinstalled and got a good 2 hours of sleep for the next month. You
probobly did'nt want to deleate Quake, you probobly got bad grades and you
dad gounded you from Quake and he deleated it off his hard drive. (I know
how it feels) You aint free until you pump about 15 rounds of 45 bullets
into your CPU. It makes a nice sound!! Sounds better when the computer is
plugged in!! Im telling you...Quake is like has a subliminal message
saying, "I RULE.....YOU HAVE NO LIFE......YOU MUST HAVE QUAKE!!" Until I
prove this theory, i'll be fraggin your ass!! Watch your back....here come
the HaCk!!!!!!

-HaCkMaStEr (CmF)

Arthur Tse

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

Quake is just far too addicting a game. I want to stop playing it quite
so much. But it is too cool to leave alone!

"If you think you can sit and wait for the arrival of tomorrow,
you will never succeed!"

Anti Spam measure : Thanks to those disgraceful spammers,
I have added * to my e-mail address to stop them from stealing
it from my newsgroup postings. So remove the * to reply.

ass...@ihug.co.nz

Steve Linberg

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

In article <5vf0bs$3n0$3...@darla.visi.com>, n...@spam.com (FormerQuakeAddict) wrote:

> I always said to my self "I'll just play for a few minutes". Then I'll
> take the dog out and go to bed. Well it always ended up a few hours.

> Well now I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! of that damn
> internet Quake addiction.

Ha ha! Congratulations.

I, myself, am just entering this divine madness. Once I get my connection
bugs fixed, I plan to wallow in it. After a 3 hour deathmatch last night,
at 2:00 am, my friends and I decided to quit, exhausted and cramped. This
turned out to mean a 2-minute lull followed by another hour of fragging.

--
Remove "nospam" to reply. You know how it is.

HERBAVOR

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

In article <01bcc0c6$a718a8c0$aa711fcc@default>, HaCk...@hotmail.com spewed
forth from his/her keyboard...

>You aint free until you pump about 15 rounds of 45 bullets
>into your CPU. It makes a nice sound!! Sounds better when the computer is
>plugged in!!

15 rounds of 45 bullets? That supports my theory that most quake players
have never fired a real gun or know much about them.

'bavor

Warren Ahner

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

What wrong with Majoring in Quake? I see no proble with that, I am
taking Quake 486 right now, 3-D light mapping :)

|CyberIce |
|Clan SOC |
|Computer Science Major ESU |
|Scaning for viruses..... Virus(es) Found : Windows! |
|"Give what you have to give, it may be more than What |
| you damn thought" |
|"Its a little souvenir, from a terrible year." |
|"There's a letter on the desktop, that I dug out of the |
| drawer. The last truce we ever came to in our |
| adolescent was." |
| |
|**LEGAL NOTICE** |
|It's this simple.. Any unsolicited commercial e-mail you |
|send me will be subject to a download and archival fee of|
|$200 each, plus a proofreading fee of $100. In general, |
|each unsolicited commercial e-mail to me will cost you |
|$500. |
|-----------------------===========-----------------------|
|"By US Code Title 47, Section 227 (a)(2)b, a |
|computer/modem/printer meets the definition of a |
|telephone fax machine. By Sec.227b(1)(C), it is unlawful |
|to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment. |
|By Sec.227b(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned |
|Section is punishable by action to recover |
|actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater, |
|for each violation." |
|And not to mention a e-mail bomb |

Felix Harris

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

>have never fired a real gun or know much about them.

I know a bit about things like thwe Remington 870, MP5
--
Felix Harris aka Iceman http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~andrewsh/felix
fel...@netcomuk.co.uk

/\_____/\
/ | | \
/ \()/ \
\___/_\_____\

I did not kill my lovely wife
I did not slash her with a knife
i did not bonk her on the head
I did not know that she was dead

-The OJ Trial

ticcki

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97
to FormerQuakeAddict

I use to have a wife and three kids,a job,a big house. Then I got QUAKE
,now I live in a room , and have a computer, I leave only when I need
some weed,beer,or coffee,or Downers,I love to play QUAKE on
downers.QUAKE put things in order for me.
QUAKE is real
Ticcki

Murderous

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

> 15 rounds of 45 bullets? That supports my theory that most quake players

> have never fired a real gun or know much about them.
>
> 'bavor

That's a good thing.

I heard there were 20,000 handgun deaths a year in the USA.
Is that true?

Murderous (but not for REAL, people).

Metalflake

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

> Yes, most people killed with handguns are killed by people who stole the
> handgun, purchased it illegally, or legally can't own one but obtained it
> some way. An interesting thing is that there are almost the same number of
> people killed each year in the USA by drunk drivers, but its a lot easier to
> buy a bottle of liquor or keg of beer than it is to buy a gun. Of course a
> lot of those handgun deaths are criminal shooting other criminals, so I
> really don't care if some gang member in LA kills some rival gang member, it
> makes the world a better place.
>
> I bet I'm gonna get flamed for at least of one of those comments.

I'm going to congratulate you on behaf of my NRA membership. If we'd just make
it illegal for people to steal handguns and to shoot people with them - instead
of making it illegal to won them - the world would be fine. Unfortunately, the
people killing other people don't _care_ about the laws. That should be plainly
obvious. Hence, laws restricting gun ownership won't affect them, and are
[nearly] pointless.

</RANT>
Light in the absence of eyes
illuminates nothing
http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~sauer

HERBAVOR

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

In article <01bcbd04$15545b20$e32d63c3@default>,
DELETETHESESEX...@btinternet.com spewed forth from his/her
keyboard...

>> 15 rounds of 45 bullets? That supports my theory that most quake players

>> have never fired a real gun or know much about them.

>> 'bavor

>That's a good thing.

>I heard there were 20,000 handgun deaths a year in the USA.
>Is that true?

Yes, most people killed with handguns are killed by people who stole the

handgun, purchased it illegally, or legally can't own one but obtained it
some way. An interesting thing is that there are almost the same number of
people killed each year in the USA by drunk drivers, but its a lot easier to
buy a bottle of liquor or keg of beer than it is to buy a gun. Of course a
lot of those handgun deaths are criminal shooting other criminals, so I
really don't care if some gang member in LA kills some rival gang member, it
makes the world a better place.

I bet I'm gonna get flamed for at least of one of those comments.

'bavor

Adnan Zafar

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

Very good man. Im glad to hear this. Myself, I was out but now I might play
for about 10 mins a day. And that Quake2 shit, hahaha. I will not be
enthusiastic to see that. Its still Quake with more enhancements. Now heres
where I begin to rant:

This game has very strange effects on a personality. Not just the
personality but the person itself. It makes people have no respect for life.
Quake players would make perfect soldiers or at least remotely controlled
aircraft pilots. Its just like "Apocalypse Now". The soldier finds out that
in order to kill, one must already be dead.

Adnan Zafar
za...@hal-pc.org
http://www.hal-pc.org/~zafar/
BBC-Skewbone in QuakeWorld

Luke Allen

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

ROFL! Sarcasm and satire at its dizzying height (or low).

At least I hope so. I desperately hope so.
--
Commercial emailers will be billed $500

Metalflake

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

I dunno, sometimes after playing quake for a long time, I'm scared hatt
someone's hiding behind the next corner ready to attack me or something... I'm
not ready to kill anyone though. :)

Dave Gates wrote:

> Adnan Zafar wrote:
> >
> > Very good man. Im glad to hear this. Myself, I was out but now I might play
> > for about 10 mins a day. And that Quake2 shit, hahaha. I will not be
> > enthusiastic to see that. Its still Quake with more enhancements. Now heres
> > where I begin to rant:
> >
> > This game has very strange effects on a personality. Not just the
> > personality but the person itself. It makes people have no respect for life.
> > Quake players would make perfect soldiers or at least remotely controlled
> > aircraft pilots. Its just like "Apocalypse Now". The soldier finds out that
> > in order to kill, one must already be dead.
>

> Hmm, you make interesting points except for one thing: Whatever!

Dave Gates

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

Adnan Zafar wrote:

> Very good man. Im glad to hear this. Myself, I was out but now I might play
> for about 10 mins a day. And that Quake2 shit, hahaha. I will not be
> enthusiastic to see that. Its still Quake with more enhancements. Now heres
> where I begin to rant:
>
> This game has very strange effects on a personality. Not just the
> personality but the person itself. It makes people have no respect for life.
> Quake players would make perfect soldiers or at least remotely controlled
> aircraft pilots. Its just like "Apocalypse Now". The soldier finds out that
> in order to kill, one must already be dead.

Hmm, you make interesting points except for one thing: Whatever!

Fellow Quake Enthusiast,
Dave Gates

Thomas Weigle

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

In article <5vhaeg$6...@news.enter.net>,
beavisb...@beavisandbutthead.com (HERBAVOR) wrote:

> 15 rounds of 45 bullets? That supports my theory that most quake players
> have never fired a real gun or know much about them.

I've been in the army for a year. I learnt to handle ARs, MGs and plain ol'
handguns there, to mention some of the shit we played around with. It was
kind of fun to use that shit, especially during our field practice. But
then there was this incident. I don't think most people that fancy the idea
of having weapons available to the masses have ever been in a situation
where they know that they have to fire or they might just get killed.
Anybody that thinks that it's cool to strafe around a dark corner, gun in
hand, ready to fire upon seeing another person, *in real life, not in
quake*, must have suffered some serious brain damage.

Just some ranting about real weapons. I say forbid them all.

/T

Mike

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

i dont play quake from sun through thursday. fri and sat is when i play.
school is far better then quake. and school aint worth flunking out of just
to play quake either.

mike

Arthur Tse <*ass...@ihug.co.nz> wrote in article
<341BAF9A...@ihug.co.nz>...

> Quake is just far too addicting a game. I want to stop playing it quite
> so much. But it is too cool to leave alone!
>
> HaCkMaStEr wrote:
> >
> > I tried to be free once. I deleated Quake and made some room on my
hard
> > drive for Quake2. Then i figured....."hmmm, my clan need's me! I'm
the
> > only low life bastard keeping this $hit together. I WANT MY QUAKE!!"
then
> > I reinstalled and got a good 2 hours of sleep for the next month. You
> > probobly did'nt want to deleate Quake, you probobly got bad grades and
you
> > dad gounded you from Quake and he deleated it off his hard drive. (I
know

> > how it feels) You aint free until you pump about 15 rounds of 45

bullets
> > into your CPU. It makes a nice sound!! Sounds better when the
computer is

rabBit

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

> This game has very strange effects on a personality. Not just the
>personality but the person itself. It makes people have no respect for life.
>Quake players would make perfect soldiers or at least remotely controlled
>aircraft pilots. Its just like "Apocalypse Now". The soldier finds out that
>in order to kill, one must already be dead.

Damn, imagine Quake players getting drafted into the special forces!

Along with a few Llamas.

Four weeks into the war, Unit blue is infiltrating an enemy
strongpoint.

"Frog, cover me while I sprint across this feild."

Deathbard runs across an open parking lot, and almost makes it to the
stronghold when a group of enemy soldiers come spilling out the door,
and casually take Deathbard out.

Meanwhile:

"Frog, damnit! Stop shooting up my armor!"

"Teamfrag is ON!"

Yourownmother steps forward, "Do we have any defense? Where's the
engineers?"

"THey all became snipers."

"One shot, one kill."

"No, one miss, one kill. Well, One miss, then death, anyway."

"How do I throw a gernade?"

"Damnit Frog, I'm gonna shove my rocket up your ass!"

"Incoming!"

"Frog, you are an idiot."

"Damn LPB sniper."

"Incoming!!--> H2O!"

"Who the hell built their senetry gun in a friendly respawn room?"

"We need dispensors."

"They've got the secret documents, code name FLAG! Coming your way!"

"Wait, let me try this.....BIND E THROW GERNADE. DOes that work?"

"Hey! We need Defense!!!!!!! NOW!!!!"

Frog loses another friend.

"How do I change class?"

"Let's all meet in front of the water, and rush their base!!! :)"

":)"

"We need Defense, damnit!"

"HPBs only please."

"I like to flash gernade myself. It's cool."

John Bibeau

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

--------------B7E98A40D5A90D1CB7C3771C

HERBAVOR wrote:

> In article <01bcc0c6$a718a8c0$aa711fcc@default>, HaCk...@hotmail.com spewed
> forth from his/her keyboard...
>

> >You aint free until you pump about 15 rounds of 45 bullets
> >into your CPU. It makes a nice sound!! Sounds better when the computer is
> >plugged in!!
>

> 15 rounds of 45 bullets? That supports my theory that most quake players
> have never fired a real gun or know much about them.
>

> 'bavor

I think he means 15 rounds of .45 caliber bullets. Probably fired from a Colt
model 1911.

WharGoul

--
"I'm the fucking WharGoul
I'm

--------------B7E98A40D5A90D1CB7C3771C

begin: vcard
fn: John Bibeau
n: Bibeau;John
org: Southern Polytechnic University
email;internet: jbi...@ix.netcom.com
title: Student
note: ?
x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version: 2.1
end: vcard

--------------B7E98A40D5A90D1CB7C3771C--

Luke Allen

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

ROFLOL! rabBit, you have captured the essence of Quake.

--
Commercial emailers will be billed $500 for electron wasting

Martin Schani Frandsen

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

In article <341C5B22...@geocities.com>, metal...@geocities.com
says...

> > Yes, most people killed with handguns are killed by people who stole the
> > handgun, purchased it illegally, or legally can't own one but obtained it
> > some way. An interesting thing is that there are almost the same number of
> > people killed each year in the USA by drunk drivers, but its a lot easier to
> > buy a bottle of liquor or keg of beer than it is to buy a gun. Of course a
> > lot of those handgun deaths are criminal shooting other criminals, so I
> > really don't care if some gang member in LA kills some rival gang member, it
> > makes the world a better place.
> >
> > I bet I'm gonna get flamed for at least of one of those comments.
>

> I'm going to congratulate you on behaf of my NRA membership. If we'd just make
> it illegal for people to steal handguns and to shoot people with them - instead
> of making it illegal to won them - the world would be fine. Unfortunately, the
> people killing other people don't _care_ about the laws. That should be plainly
> obvious. Hence, laws restricting gun ownership won't affect them, and are
> [nearly] pointless.
>
> </RANT>

> Light in the absence of eyes
> illuminates nothing
> http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~sauer

Stupud, Stupid, Stupid.....

You silly twat of an americans, you just don't get it do you? Banning
Semi-automatic assault weapons DO make a difference, why... well its
really quite simple, you mention that it wont help outlawing guns because
people that shoot other people with their guns don't care about the law.
That's a load of bull.... Where are all the illegal guns coming from?
Thats right, people STEAL them from people that OWN them. The more legal
guns in circulation, the more potential there is for people to steal them
and use them for illegal things. Consider this;
In my home country (5 mill. people) there's around 10-12 different
murders each year. Last year only 5 where gun-related, the rest where
knives, bottles and beatings. In my home country it is illegal to own a
gun without a permit from the local police precinct, this makes it really
hard for a nut to get a gun legally. Despite all the rules, laws, etc we
have this what has happened in my country recently:
1. 1996- 3-4 Hells Angels gunned down in Copenhagen Airport. 1 Dead.
(Guns where stolen from Shooting club).
2. 1996- Hells Angels Clubhouse hit with Anti-tank rocket (none injured).
(Rockets stolen from sweedish army warehouse).
3. 1996- Another Hells Angels clubhouse hit with Anti-tank rocket(none
injured, rocket malfunctioned).
(Same rockets as before).
4. 1996- Bandidos (another biker gang) members' leg blown of by
handgrenade.
(Weapon stolen from army store or collector).
5. 1996- Hells Angels spokesman mashinegunned in prison (Injured).
(Weapon not found).
6. 1996- Hells Angels clubhouse in Copenhagen holds a housewarming,
Police precence is heavy, but alas two rockets are fired aginst the party
(one dead, two severly injured).

Etc. Etc. Etc..

And recently one of my friends got gunned down by a 46 year old man.
Story goes like this:
3 guys leave friends house to go to party nearby.
3 guys walk by house on road.
old guy in house
old guy doesn't like noise
old guy gets his 9mm
old guy gets his 6 shot '33
old guy goes out
3 guys say hello to old guy
old guy pulls out the 9mm
old guy shoots at them 2-3 meters (5-8 feet) away.
old guy hits one in knee and misses twice.
old guy hits other guy in knee and in shoulder.
Bullet in shoulder severs nerve in arm, goes trought the right lung,
whizzes by the heart, and leaves by the left side.
Old guy leaves.

It is NOT Hells Angels & criminals I fear the most, It is those people
that feel they have the RIGHT to draw their Desert Eagle and blow away
some guy that's probably just asking for directions.

Again Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Americans when are you gonna learn that
having 5 handguns per citizen in the U.S. is NOT the answer to crime.

Thanks for your time,
Schani.
Schani who's using Anawave Gravity as a news-
reader. Check it out at http://www.anawave.com
My GW related site (Needs updating).
http://home8.inet.tele.dk/schani/holoviewer/
Mailto:ve...@hotmail.com

sd groll

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

Murderous wrote:

> > 15 rounds of 45 bullets? That supports my theory that most quake players
>
> > have never fired a real gun or know much about them.
> >
> > 'bavor
>
> That's a good thing.
>
> I heard there were 20,000 handgun deaths a year in the USA.
> Is that true?
>
> Murderous (but not for REAL, people).
Guns don't kill people, Shamblers do.
The first step in rehab is admitting you have a problem.
I was not addicted to quake til I bought the GL card.Now it's better
than a Great big dump and the cigarette afterwards.
Someone needs to form a Quakes' Annomous.
Hi my name is Fred, i've been cold turkey for 2 days now....

Paul H.

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

In article <loop-ya02318000...@news.algonet.se>,
lo...@127.0.0.1 (Thomas Weigle) wrote:

>Just some ranting about real weapons. I say forbid them all.

I agree. Then make it a capital crime to criticize any government
official. After all, the government only wants what's best for all
of us so why should we let some loudmouth gum up the works for
right-thinking people?

I know I'd sleep better if only party officials had guns.

Scott Scurlock

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97
to Martin Schani Frandsen

You are actually comparing a country with 5 million people to the United
States? That's ridiculous.

In this country there are many hateful, evil people who don't know or
don't care about right and wrong.Those of us who obey the law need
protection from from those who don't. And don't say "that's what the
police are for" because they aren't. Police enforce the law, they don't
protect us form the unlawful. It's our responsibility to protect
ourselves. Maybe in your country self-protection is unnecesary because
the citizens obey the laws of the land, if so you are very lucky. But
here in the USA everyone has to look out for themselves and their
families.

The right to keep and bear arms is a right guranteed us, Americans, by
our founding fathers and anyone willing to give up that freedom deserves
none.

Scott

Martin Schani Frandsen wrote:

> Snip

Paul H.

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

In article <MPG.e875093b...@news.inet.tele.dk>,
ve...@hotmail.com (Martin Schani Frandsen) wrote:

>Stupud, Stupid, Stupid.....

Well, I know who the put the "pud" in "stupud".

>You silly twat of an americans, you just don't get it do you?

No, it's you European types who don't get it, isn't it? Funny how
such peaceful, regulation-minded people have started two world wars
in this century in which countless numbers have died, isn't it? Or maybe
it's not so funny after all.

Want to play the numbers game? Well, add up all the Americans killed with
handguns and/or semi-automatic "assault" weapons, then compare the figure to
six million murdered Jews. And don't even bother throwing in the millions of
Ukranians and others slaughtered under Stalin. I think you'll find the arithmetic
somewhat enlightening. And remember that both Stalin and Hilter were proponents
of gun control as a means of preserving "the public order".

Do you even understand why the American Constitution has a largely
symbolic "right to bear arms" amendment? It's NOT there so that some idiot
simply has the freedom to hunt rabbits-- it was put there to remind the government
that its authority to govern ultimately comes from the people and that the
people will retain the means to overthrow a repressive, dictatorial
(i.e. European-style) regime should it become necessary.

One can only wonder how history would have recorded the story of the
Warsaw ghetto if only the residents had had the same "just-don't-get-it"
freedoms Americans possess. But wait-- don't bother going back fifty
years-- just find a couple of Bosnian muslim refugees and ask them if
a right-to-bear-arms proviso might have helped when Yugoslavia fell
apart and put them at the tender mercies of their Serb neighbors.
Yeah, you Europeans have a lot to be proud of regarding weapons and
self-defense, and you can see that pride written all over the faces
of fatherless Bosnian orphans, whose weaponless fathers died in
concentration camps and now reside in unmarked mass graves.

And maybe, just maybe, it was a popular familiarity with guns that made it
a tad easier for Americans to enter both world wars to help pull the
Europeans' collective bacon out of the fire. Funny, too, that the
descendents of those WWI and II Americans are now in Bosnia helping to
quell another mess that you peace-loving and oh-so-sophisticated Europeans
couldn't seem to handle by yourselves.

You want to disagree with American law and philosophy? Fine, we'll talk
or even argue about it. However, if you want to take on a smug,
self-satisfied attitude regarding the same, I'd suggest first taking a
long look Europe's bloody and guilt-ridden history before you open
your ignorant mouth.

And if everything I've said fails to move you from your perch of idiocy,
there's this: bite me.

HERBAVOR

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

spewed forth from his/her keyboard...

>In article <341C5B22...@geocities.com>, metal...@geocities.com

>Stupud, Stupid, Stupid.....

>You silly twat of an americans, you just don't get it do you? Banning
>Semi-automatic assault weapons DO make a difference,

Semi-automatic assualt weapons are used in less than 0.5% of all firearms
related crimes in the USA each year. Only one crime has been commited in the
US with a legally owned selective fire (both fully automatic/semiautomatic
firing modes) assualt rifle since 1939 in the USA.

>why... well its
>really quite simple, you mention that it wont help outlawing guns because
>people that shoot other people with their guns don't care about the law.
>That's a load of bull.... Where are all the illegal guns coming from?
>Thats right, people STEAL them from people that OWN them. The more legal
>guns in circulation, the more potential there is for people to steal them
>and use them for illegal things.

Actually, there are as many illegaly imported guns in the US as there are
legally imported guns. Also, there is one legally owned gun for in this
country for every 2 people, the same goes for the illegally owned and
smuggled guns. That comes out to 1 gun for every person.

>Consider this;
>In my home country (5 mill. people) there's around 10-12 different
>murders each year. Last year only 5 where gun-related, the rest where
>knives, bottles and beatings.

USA:
260 million people
260 million guns 1/2 illegally owned and/or brought into the country not
including military/police owned firearms.
34,000 firearms related deaths, including firearms related accidents.

If each gun was used to kill only one person,
that means that 0.000130769% of all guns in the USA are used to kill
someone in the USA.

Your Country:
5 million people
how many guns, not military/police owned?
5 firearms related murders.
what percentage of guns in your country are used in firearms
related murders?

Switzerland:
Almost everyone over 21 owns a gun in that country, except people that were
convicted of serious crimes and people that are mentally ill. They have less
than 5 frearms related murders a year.

>In my home country it is illegal to own a
>gun without a permit from the local police precinct, this makes it really
>hard for a nut to get a gun legally.

That sucks. Remember, Hitler was the one who said that Germany will be safe
once the citizens can not own guns. I guess he meant the government will be
safe from its people.

>Despite all the rules, laws, etc we
>have this what has happened in my country recently:
>1. 1996- 3-4 Hells Angels gunned down in Copenhagen Airport. 1 Dead.
>(Guns where stolen from Shooting club).
>2. 1996- Hells Angels Clubhouse hit with Anti-tank rocket (none injured).
>(Rockets stolen from sweedish army warehouse).
>3. 1996- Another Hells Angels clubhouse hit with Anti-tank rocket(none
>injured, rocket malfunctioned).
>(Same rockets as before).
>4. 1996- Bandidos (another biker gang) members' leg blown of by
>handgrenade.
>(Weapon stolen from army store or collector).
>5. 1996- Hells Angels spokesman mashinegunned in prison (Injured).
>(Weapon not found).
>6. 1996- Hells Angels clubhouse in Copenhagen holds a housewarming,
>Police precence is heavy, but alas two rockets are fired aginst the party
>(one dead, two severly injured).

Yea most bikergangs suck!

>Etc. Etc. Etc..

>And recently one of my friends got gunned down by a 46 year old man.
>Story goes like this:
>3 guys leave friends house to go to party nearby.
>3 guys walk by house on road.
>old guy in house
>old guy doesn't like noise
>old guy gets his 9mm
>old guy gets his 6 shot '33
>old guy goes out
>3 guys say hello to old guy
>old guy pulls out the 9mm
>old guy shoots at them 2-3 meters (5-8 feet) away.
>old guy hits one in knee and misses twice.
>old guy hits other guy in knee and in shoulder.
>Bullet in shoulder severs nerve in arm, goes trought the right lung,
>whizzes by the heart, and leaves by the left side.
>Old guy leaves.

So I guess the old guy was either:
on drugs
mentally ill
drunk
senile
or all 4

>It is NOT Hells Angels & criminals I fear the most, It is those people
>that feel they have the RIGHT to draw their Desert Eagle and blow away
>some guy that's probably just asking for directions.

That rarely happens, afterall Desert Eagles are about $900 and not common
guns. ;)

Seriously though, That rarely happens.

>Again Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Americans when are you gonna learn that
>having 5 handguns per citizen in the U.S. is NOT the answer to crime.

No, we only need 2 per person since we only have 2 hands, and maybe a backup
on our ankle. ;)

Also, in a recent survey of criminals in prisons in America, 95% said they
would not try to rob a house or apartment if they thought a person living
there might own a gun.

'bavor

P.S. I used a firearm to save my life once, and 2 million people in the USA
every year pervent crimes such as Murder, Rape, and Robbery every year with a
firearm.

Murderous

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

Oh well... can I respond to EVERYBODY?

Metalflake <metal...@geocities.com> wrote in article
<341C5B22...@geocities.com>...

> > Yes, most people killed with handguns are killed by people who stole
the
> > handgun, purchased it illegally, or legally can't own one but obtained
it
> > some way. An interesting thing is that there are almost the same
number of
> > people killed each year in the USA by drunk drivers, but its a lot
easier to
> > buy a bottle of liquor or keg of beer than it is to buy a gun. Of
course a
> > lot of those handgun deaths are criminal shooting other criminals, so I
> > really don't care if some gang member in LA kills some rival gang
member, it
> > makes the world a better place.
> >
> > I bet I'm gonna get flamed for at least of one of those comments.

I also heard in the USA that the police can't set up random road blocks or
remove
drivers at random and breathalise them (like they can in the UK, after
sucessful
Australian runs).

The word "most people killed". So, a good percentage are "legal" kills?

I think you'll find it's easier to steal handguns if legally held ones are
in the
community. If there is an outright ban, it's nightmare difficult. The only
gun one can own in the UK is a shotgun (non-pump) with a renewable
licence from the Police (and then if you have "cause", like a farmer,
etc.).

> I'm going to congratulate you on behaf of my NRA membership. If we'd
just make
> it illegal for people to steal handguns and to shoot people with them -
instead
> of making it illegal to won them - the world would be fine.
Unfortunately, the
> people killing other people don't _care_ about the laws. That should be
plainly
> obvious. Hence, laws restricting gun ownership won't affect them, and
are
> [nearly] pointless.

NRA? Is that like the IRA without twee Hollywood representation?
I refer to the above point. Laws on gun ownership (restriction) DO affect
criminals
who do not care about the law, because there are NO GUNS TO STEAL.

Geddit?

Murderous

HERBAVOR

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

In article <341CE89B...@ix.netcom.com>, jbi...@ix.netcom.com spewed
forth from his/her keyboard...

>> In article <01bcc0c6$a718a8c0$aa711fcc@default>, HaCk...@hotmail.com

spewed
>> forth from his/her keyboard...

>> >You aint free until you pump about 15 rounds of 45 bullets

>> >into your CPU. It makes a nice sound!! Sounds better when the computer

>> >plugged in!!

>> 15 rounds of 45 bullets? That supports my theory that most quake players
>> have never fired a real gun or know much about them.

>> 'bavor

>I think he means 15 rounds of .45 caliber bullets. Probably fired from a
Colt
>model 1911.

But a Model 1911 has a standard 7 round magazine and one in the chamber. That
makes 8 rounds. The original poster should have said 15 shots of .45 caliber
bullets or something closer to that. 15 rounds of 45 bullets seems confusing
since one bullet can be called a round. Ex. He fired one round from his
weapon.

'bavor

Bill Woodford

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

In article <5vf0bs$3n0$3...@darla.visi.com>,
FormerQuakeAddict <n...@spam.com> wrote:

>I always said to my self "I'll just play for a few minutes". Then I'll
>take the dog out and go to bed. Well it always ended up a few hours.
>Well now I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! of that damn
>internet Quake addiction.
>

>So how many of you at a University are practically majoring in Quake?
>Well delete your damn Quake directory if it's yours, or stay away from the
>@#$%^& thing if it's not. Otherwise you will regret it.

Hmmm, well sir, it seems you took the game more seriously than most. I
play a fair bit (although not as much as I used to). It seems as though
you were and extremist (or a dumbass), and wasted you life on quake.
Not everyone is like that you know. Some of us can exhibit some control.
Im glad you regained your life back, live it up.

--
Bill Woodford * wwo...@umbc.edu * http://research.umbc.edu/~wwoodf1
"Don't allow a crisis to ruin your day... schedule them in advance."

Thomas Weigle

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

In article <5vju08$p...@news.enter.net>,
beavisb...@beavisandbutthead.com (HERBAVOR) wrote:

> >Stupud, Stupid, Stupid.....
>
> >You silly twat of an americans, you just don't get it do you? Banning
> >Semi-automatic assault weapons DO make a difference,
>
> Semi-automatic assualt weapons are used in less than 0.5% of all firearms
> related crimes in the USA each year. Only one crime has been commited in the
> US with a legally owned selective fire (both fully automatic/semiautomatic
> firing modes) assualt rifle since 1939 in the USA.

Ok, let's put everything that either blows up or fires bullets in there.
Banning all of that shit would help. And that's a fact.

> 260 million people
> 260 million guns 1/2 illegally owned and/or brought into the country not
> including military/police owned firearms.
> 34,000 firearms related deaths, including firearms related accidents.
>
> If each gun was used to kill only one person,
> that means that 0.000130769% of all guns in the USA are used to kill
> someone in the USA.

Shit. I don't understand this logic. 34 000. Thirtyfourthousand. Shall I
put a smilie here for each of them? How the hell can you calculate using
deaths to justify your right to own a handheld weapon? If losing that right
will save five people every year, isn't that worth it? We are talking about
human beings here, H-U-M-A-N B-E-I-N-G-S, not numbers and percentage.

> That sucks. Remember, Hitler was the one who said that Germany will be safe
> once the citizens can not own guns. I guess he meant the government will be
> safe from its people.

And a helluva lot of Americans said that the world would be a better place
without all those commies and started a few wars because of that. So what's
the difference? They were both wrong. Both managed to fool their nations
into believing that they were right. Has nothing with guns to do.

> Also, in a recent survey of criminals in prisons in America, 95% said they
> would not try to rob a house or apartment if they thought a person living
> there might own a gun.

You still have a larger percentage of crime than Sweden or Denmark. Could
that possibly have anything to do with the climate and the lack of respect
for life?

Does the name "Gandhi" mean anything to you?

/T
Wondering when the dolphins will split.

Alex Vincent

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

IN *almost* EVERY ARTICLE YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT!

The BIGGEST problem with gun related troubles are when people start to
make judgements on something which they know nothing about.

*brewing a storm*

Some of you may know what you're talking, but I suspect most people dont
have a clue and are spouting any old nonsense to appear 'in-the-know'.

Leave the outrageous descisions and statements to the politicians...

...lets get back to Quake.

al
Alex Vincent, al...@far2cool.demon.co.uk
Homepage, http://www.far2cool.demon.co.uk

Thomas Weigle

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

In article <5vjo19$q...@dfw-ixnews10.ix.netcom.com>, Paul H.
<paul...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

The oldest and lamest argument of them all. These two things do not exactly
come hand in hand. So, old Billy Clinton would all of a sudden turn into a
raving madman dictator if the people decided that guns are bad?

I said it because I bloody well know that it's far better for you and for
humanity not to have like 100 000 deaths caused by handguns, directly or
indirectly, in a single country every damn year.

So, would your country execute every last one of you if you all sat down to
demonstrate against a new law restricting your freedom of speech? Learn
some history. The most successful revolution ever was initiated and led by
a bloody pacifist who wouldn't see any weapons in his ranks - Gandhi.

/T

shaithis

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

In article <341D6EDC...@ti.com>, sscu...@ti.com says...

> The right to keep and bear arms is a right guranteed us, Americans, by
> our founding fathers and anyone willing to give up that freedom deserves
> none.

Can we _not_ discuss this shit in a quake newsgroup please? I don't give
a fuck if you're anti-gun-control, pro-gun-control, a raving psychopath,
or what. If I wanted to debate what exactly our forefathers meant by "a
local militia", I'd be in a bunch of political newsgroups.

One thing remains true: In Quake, every Space Marine has a god given
right to bear a rocket launcher.

Now please take this crap somewhere else.

--
shaithis - Immortal Coil
+--- --- --- -- -- -- - - -
|Trax/Art/HTML
|cwb...@nospam.traknet.com
|http://www.traknet.com/immortal
|Guess what part of my address
|to remove if you wanna mail me.
+---=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Ray [the Avatar]

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

Scott Scurlock drooled upon his soapbox:

> In this country there are many hateful, evil people who don't know or
> don't care about right and wrong.Those of us who obey the law need
> protection from from those who don't.... ...The right to keep and > bear arms is a right guranteed us, Americans, by our founding fathers > and anyone willing to give up that freedom deserves none.
>
> Scott

Well, this thread is way off of its origins, but here's another $0.02
worth. Granted, there are hateful evil people everywhere. However, to
insinuate that life without arms is a life without freedom seems a
little misguided. I live in a mid-sized Canadian city where there hasn't
been a murder in years. I am *free* to walk in any part of my town at
any time of day without significant risk, I am *free* to argue with my
neighbour without fear of armed conflict etc. Weapons aren't providing
me with these freedoms. In Canada, there are several gun controls in
place, and I hardly think we are viewed as a repressed society.

How does this relate to Quake and the original post? It's _just_ a game!
I don't need to have fired both barrels of a real sawed-off shotgun to
be successful HPB/LPB. Even being repressed and without the right to own
a rocket launcher, I can still gib away in Quake! Get a grip and play
the game already!

the Avatar (a crappy Medium Ping Bastard... at least I admit it)

Metalflake

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

> Shit. I don't understand this logic. 34 000. Thirtyfourthousand. Shall I
> put a smilie here for each of them? How the hell can you calculate using
> deaths to justify your right to own a handheld weapon? If losing that right
> will save five people every year, isn't that worth it?

No. Giving up the right to free speech would probably save 5 loudmouths a year
or so too, but it ain't gonna happen. Like it or not, 5 lives are INSIGNIFIGANT
in the global scale. Sure I'd be unhappy if those 5 lives were my family, but
I'd be a minority. A _gross_ minority. Most people wouldn't give a damn or
even know. I'd be sad, but the vast majority would be indifferent. The
majority is what's important here - our government sems to ahve forgotten that.

Adnan Zafar

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

wow. Such insight. You realy proved your point to me.

One piece of advice; if youre going to post something, post something with
some meaning. And I like criticism, constructive criticism that is. Your
"whatever" showed not only what position you took but also your lack of
vocabulary.

Adnan Zafar
za...@hal-pc.org
http://www.hal-pc.org/~zafar/
BBC-Skewbone in QuakeWorld

Dave Gates wrote in article <341CB306...@davegates.com>...

>Adnan Zafar wrote:
>>
>> Very good man. Im glad to hear this. Myself, I was out but now I might
play
>> for about 10 mins a day. And that Quake2 shit, hahaha. I will not be
>> enthusiastic to see that. Its still Quake with more enhancements. Now
heres
>> where I begin to rant:
>>

>> This game has very strange effects on a personality. Not just the
>> personality but the person itself. It makes people have no respect for
life.
>> Quake players would make perfect soldiers or at least remotely controlled
>> aircraft pilots. Its just like "Apocalypse Now". The soldier finds out
that
>> in order to kill, one must already be dead.

Jaeden

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

> I'm going to congratulate you on behaf of my NRA membership. If we'd just make
> it illegal for people to steal handguns and to shoot people with them - instead
> of making it illegal to won them - the world would be fine. Unfortunately, the
> people killing other people don't _care_ about the laws. That should be plainly
> obvious. Hence, laws restricting gun ownership won't affect them, and are
> [nearly] pointless.

Are you saying that it is NOT illegal to steal a gun and shoot someone?

-Jaeden
*************************************
"If you make it criminal to own a gun,
Then only criminals will owns guns."
-someone smart

Murderous

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

<RVO6EIAD...@far2cool.demon.co.uk>...

> IN *almost* EVERY ARTICLE YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT!

That's because I was shot in the head by a handgun. :)

> The BIGGEST problem with gun related troubles are when people start to
> make judgements on something which they know nothing about.

No. Usually it's when someone starts shooting. :)

> Leave the outrageous descisions and statements to the politicians...

Hmm. I'd agree... then I see you're from the UK, and we have just
banned handguns, from our happy, clappy, "new" politicians... :)

> ...lets get back to Quake.

HURAH!

Thomas Weigle

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

In article <341D6EDC...@ti.com>, sscu...@ti.com wrote:

> The right to keep and bear arms is a right guranteed us, Americans, by
> our founding fathers and anyone willing to give up that freedom deserves
> none.

The right to keep and bear pants would have made more sense, since pants
have a better purpose (to keep warm and to conceal intimate parts of the
body) than guns (to k-i-l-l).

Metalflake

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

Jaeden wrote:

> > I'm going to congratulate you on behaf of my NRA membership. If we'd just make
> > it illegal for people to steal handguns and to shoot people with them - instead
> > of making it illegal to won them - the world would be fine. Unfortunately, the
> > people killing other people don't _care_ about the laws. That should be plainly
> > obvious. Hence, laws restricting gun ownership won't affect them, and are
> > [nearly] pointless.
>
> Are you saying that it is NOT illegal to steal a gun and shoot someone?

I'm saying that it _IS_ illegal to do it, but it keeps happening. Therefore,
the laws don't have much effect. <SARCASM>More laws would probably work though,
as opposed to the training that I suggested. </SARCASM>

> -Jaeden
> *************************************
> "If you make it criminal to own a gun,
> Then only criminals will owns guns."
> -someone smart

I know that and you know that...

Arthur Tse

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97
to Paul H.

Well, I am not a European and I am just trying to be fair. To be honest
with you, I do think the Europeans Central Powers like Turkey, Germany
etc are to be blamed for starting WWI. I mean just because this
Yugoslavian prince got killed, then they all go crazy. But after Germany
was defeated. It was treated by some very unfair terms in the Treaty of
Versailles. I really hate it when people simply blame Germany for both
World Wars. Why not talk about how the French tried to completely
humiliate the Germans and make them starve. The occupation of th Rhur by
the French (illegal). Also, England has caused many wars in Europe and
worldwide. The slaughter of Scottish people and how the damn English
made over 2 million Irish starve to death during the 16th century, not
to mention the continuing persecution of Catholics in Northern Ireland.
The ever continuing conlonialism of these greedy British and all the
brutalities they committ around the world. Like all the murders of
innocnet children and women of Maori (the first settlers to NZ) origins
after Britain had colonsied New Zealand.

And by the way, please stop thinking that a particular country has dumb
policies etc. There must be a reason. Unless you live there, it is none
of your business. Every culture has diffrent ways.

So I do in a way argree with your views Paul!

Paul H. wrote:

> In article <MPG.e875093b...@news.inet.tele.dk>,

Alex Vincent

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

>> IN *almost* EVERY ARTICLE YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT!
>
>That's because I was shot in the head by a handgun. :)
yeh its a bitch when that happens...

theres me of down the shops, to get my monthly 'pc gamer', minding my
own business when a gun toting madman takes seige of WH Smiths demanding
free PC Gamers for all!
What was i supposed to do, but be a have-a-go-hero and get my muffin
blown into the shape of a 16-sided cylinder undergone a bad case of
vertex editing!! :)

>> The BIGGEST problem with gun related troubles are when people start to
>> make judgements on something which they know nothing about.
>
>No. Usually it's when someone starts shooting. :)

I didnt mean to call the little fucker a sad macmuffin, but hey! these
things happen!

>> Leave the outrageous descisions and statements to the politicians...
>
>Hmm. I'd agree... then I see you're from the UK, and we have just
>banned handguns, from our happy, clappy, "new" politicians... :)

they can all die...
Tory Blair - hand grenade up the arse.
Paddy Ashdown - A pit full of fucked off shamblers.
William Hague - Hair transplant with a pissed off ogre! :))

>> ...lets get back to Quake.
>
>HURAH!

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#
al

PS: My first level is out! :))
Alex Vincent, al...@far2cool.demon.co.uk
Homepage, http://www.far2cool.demon.co.uk/quake

Matthew Goldman

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Murderous (DELETETHESESEX...@btinternet.com) wrote:
: > 15 rounds of 45 bullets? That supports my theory that most quake players

:
: > have never fired a real gun or know much about them.
: >
: > 'bavor
:
: That's a good thing.

:
: I heard there were 20,000 handgun deaths a year in the USA.
: Is that true?

And how many were there last night on the various quake sites?

Matt
--
O O __ | \| O O
/|\ -/- _ __\ O _\O |/ (/ O/ /\- /|\

American McGee

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

FormerQuakeAddict wrote:

> You bunch of internet Quake addicts!!! I deleted my Quake directory. I
> was
> wasting too much of my life playing internet Quake.

Free until we release Quake 2 that is :)

-American McGee
id Software

Felix Harris

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

>-American McGee
> id Software

Well this is an honour, you coming to our humble newsgroup
--
Felix Harris aka Iceman http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~andrewsh/felix
fel...@netcomuk.co.uk
Life is just a beta version of death,but
Death is an alpha version of Shit Creek!

/\_____/\
/ | | \
/ \()/ \
\___/_\_____\

I did not kill my lovely wife
I did not slash her with a knife
i did not bonk her on the head
I did not know that she was dead

-The OJ Trial

John Carmack

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

American McGee <amer...@idsoftware.com> wrote in article
<341EAE90...@idsoftware.com>...

McGee,

Get back to work NOW!

John.

Karl Innes

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

On 15 Sep 1997 18:15:36 GMT, beavisb...@beavisandbutthead.com
(HERBAVOR) wrote:

>In article <MPG.e875093b...@news.inet.tele.dk>, ve...@hotmail.com
>spewed forth from his/her keyboard...

>>Consider this;

>>In my home country (5 mill. people) there's around 10-12 different
>>murders each year. Last year only 5 where gun-related, the rest where
>>knives, bottles and beatings.
>
>USA:
>260 million people
>260 million guns 1/2 illegally owned and/or brought into the country not
>including military/police owned firearms.
>34,000 firearms related deaths, including firearms related accidents.
>
>If each gun was used to kill only one person,
>that means that 0.000130769% of all guns in the USA are used to kill
>someone in the USA.

actually it's 0.0130769% or just over 1 in a 1000. (don't forget to
shift the decimal two positions to the right when connverting a
decimal figure to a percentage figure.)

>Your Country:
>5 million people
>how many guns, not military/police owned?
>5 firearms related murders.
>what percentage of guns in your country are used in firearms
>related murders?

For the record the answer is 0.0001% or 1 in 10,000 which
would seem to support the argument that tighter gun control laws lead
to less firearms related deaths, even by the standards you have set
out. Also the shocking information that nearly half (5 of 12) violent
deaths in this country were firearm related. There is a good chance
that easier access to firearms would change many other non-fatal
violent crimes into homicides.

>Switzerland:
>Almost everyone over 21 owns a gun in that country, except people that were
>convicted of serious crimes and people that are mentally ill. They have less
>than 5 frearms related murders a year.

It is important to point out that this is because Switzerland
relies on a "Peoples Militia" everyone over 21 is technically in the
military. These guns are not for personal use, such as in home defence
from burglars for instance. The population is REQUIRED by law to have
these weapons in case the state calls them into active military
service. There laws governing the use of firearms are much more
restrictive than those in the Unted States. There is less gun-related
crime because of these restrictions, not because of the common
availability of firearms.

Out of the total number of guns available for use, the
percentage that are used in a crime leading to death is a meaningless
number. Given a huge supply of firearms in the populace at large of
course the percentage of available guns used in violent crimes will
fall.

The important figures are the number of deaths (per capita)
that can be atributed to firearms. Even this information is not that
conclusive without knowing the total number of violent crimes leading
to death. More meaningful would be the total percentage of deaths
attributed to firearms vs those of another nature. Perhaps the poster
has these figures and would care to post them??

>Also, in a recent survey of criminals in prisons in America, 95% said they
>would not try to rob a house or apartment if they thought a person living
>there might own a gun.

This is a meaningless statement. Criminals will steal and they
have no way of knowing if the occupants have firearms. Even if every
household contained a gun, burglars would simply carry one aswell. I
hardly think crime would end simply because everyone owned a gun.

>'bavor
>
>P.S. I used a firearm to save my life once, and 2 million people in the USA
>every year pervent crimes such as Murder, Rape, and Robbery every year with a
>firearm.

This of course is your choice (in your contry I might add).
How many of these incidents led to the crime of Homicide I wonder???
The answer to these social problems is not always a bigger stick ( or
gun as the case is here)

Scott Sendlein

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

FormerQuakeAddict <n...@spam.com> wrote:
> You bunch of internet Quake addicts!!! I deleted my Quake directory. I was
> wasting too much of my life playing internet Quake.

> Well now I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! of that damn
> internet Quake addiction.

No you're not. Case in point: you are still posting to this group.

You WILL be back.

You cannot escape.

PS, I heard that when Phillip-Morris finally gets driven out of tobacco,
they are planing on going into 3D gaming.;-)

Scott

--
------Return Address Modified To Reduce Spammage - Delete "z"'s----------
Scott Sendlein _____ _________.____ _____ _______

Noah Dowd

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Jaeden wrote:

> > I'm going to congratulate you on behaf of my NRA membership. If we'd just make
> > it illegal for people to steal handguns and to shoot people with them - instead
> > of making it illegal to won them - the world would be fine. Unfortunately, the
> > people killing other people don't _care_ about the laws. That should be plainly
> > obvious. Hence, laws restricting gun ownership won't affect them, and are
> > [nearly] pointless.
>
> Are you saying that it is NOT illegal to steal a gun and shoot someone?

No, he's saying that although it is already illegal to steal (eg, stolen
hand gun) and murder (eg, with a stolen handgun), those things already
happen.
Therefore, further legislation making it illegal to own (eg, a handgun)
is
unlikely to have any significant impact (eg, on the number of
gun-related
murders).

-Noah
--
E-mail: no...@anet-dfw.com

Just as irrigation is the lifeblood of the Southwest,
Lifeblood is the soup of cannibals. -Jack Handey

Metalflake

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

> >Switzerland:
> >Almost everyone over 21 owns a gun in that country, except people that were
> >convicted of serious crimes and people that are mentally ill. They have less
> >than 5 frearms related murders a year.
>
> It is important to point out that this is because Switzerland
> relies on a "Peoples Militia" everyone over 21 is technically in the
> military. These guns are not for personal use, such as in home defence
> from burglars for instance. The population is REQUIRED by law to have
> these weapons in case the state calls them into active military
> service. There laws governing the use of firearms are much more
> restrictive than those in the Unted States. There is less gun-related
> crime because of these restrictions, not because of the common
> availability of firearms.

This is what I've been saying, just for the record. Training and respect for
the weapon will fix the problem, not an oughtright ban - which won't stop
criminals anyway. Well, a ban'll stop some of them, but not all of them...

If we'd just stop being angry though...

Mungojerrie

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, American McGee wrote:

> Free until we release Quake 2 that is :)

Well, Q2 is only as fun as TF2 will make it :)

SteelAngel

--
Omigod. i just replied to American McGee.. My life is fulfilled.

Si Cwan

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

Ya I bet you miss it don't you, admit it, you miss it very badly,or you
woun't be bugging us good players. O and if you have not, you should play
Quake TF (Team Fortress) it will get you back to playing Quake like you
should be :-)

ZyberGoat wrote in article <01bcc09e$eb0b8de0$2ab220cc@vucqpqlj>...

>I think you're problem goes FAR beyond just playing Quake alot...go to the
>yellow pages, and look for "Doctors". You should be able to find a good
>shrink in there.
>--
>ZyberGoat
>
>E-mail: zybe...@hotmail.com
>ICQ UIN:944556
>Homepage:http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/1998/
>
>(please remove the "nospam" from my reply email address)
>

>FormerQuakeAddict <n...@spam.com> wrote in article
><5vf0bs$3n0$3...@darla.visi.com>...

>> You bunch of internet Quake addicts!!! I deleted my Quake directory. I
>was
>> wasting too much of my life playing internet Quake.
>>

>> and now I can:
>> 1. Get to sleep at a normal time instead of 1 or 2 AM or ....
>> 2. Be wide awake at work Monday through Thursday.
>> 3. Do something besides play internet Quake, for who knows how many
>hours,
>> on weekends.
>> 4. Get back to programming on my own computer.
>> 5. Get a haircut for the first time in ? months.
>> 6. Vacuum the apartment.
>> 7. Get some new clothes.
>> 8. Get a life again.
>> 9. Climb up on some big boulder and stomp around like an ape yelling "I'm
>
>> FREEEEEE!".

>> I always said to my self "I'll just play for a few minutes". Then I'll
>> take the dog out and go to bed. Well it always ended up a few hours.

>> Well now I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! of that
>damn
>> internet Quake addiction.
>>

>> So how many of you at a University are practically majoring in Quake?
>> Well delete your damn Quake directory if it's yours, or stay away from
>the

>> @#$%^&lyEE thing if it's not. Otherwise you will regret it.
>>
>> I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
>>
>> Software Engineer &
>> Former Internet Quake Addict

Metalflake

Sep 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/16/97

> You silly twat of an americans, you just don't get it do you? Banning

"americans" is plural, "an" is sigular. I guess you can't type and think at the
same time. :)

> Semi-automatic assault weapons DO make a difference, why... well its
> really quite simple, you mention that it wont help outlawing guns because
> people that shoot other people with their guns don't care about the law.
> That's a load of bull.... Where are all the illegal guns coming from?
> Thats right, people STEAL them from people that OWN them. The more legal
> guns in circulation, the more potential there is for people to steal them
> and use them for illegal things. Consider this;

Criminals will get guns whether it is legal to make them or not. Period.
Consider _this_: drugs of many types are illegal to make in this country,
illegal to bring into this country, and illegal to use in this country. Somehow
they get in anyway. It's the same thing with anything else - If you want it
badly enough, you _can_ get it, regardless of how illegal it is. You can pick
out anything you'd like, and I'm sure I can get it - if the price is right. :)

Laws only affect the law-abiding.

...Pointless statistics that I could counter if I cared what someone from
somewhere else thought about me...

> And recently one of my friends got gunned down by a 46 year old man.

Here's where we get to the root fo your feelings, I believe. One of my friends
got killed by riding in a camaro taht was exceedignthe speed limit. Huh, theer
are laws against speeding, but it happened anyway? How can that be? Making
laws against something always stops it, right?

The right way to do this would be to require training to own a gun. The biggest
problem we have is that people that don't have any idea what they're doing have
guns. That's even worse than our driving ssytem. You wouldn't let someone
drive without going through training, would you? Guns should be the same way.
I don't think banning them will help much. I do think that teaching people
respect for the awesome power they posess when holding a gun -the power to take
a life with almost no effort - would help immensely. When people understand
what might happen, and when there are _real_ consequenses behind their actions
(Ah, I'll be paroled in a year or two), then we'll see a difference. It's not
the guns that kill people - it's the person that pulls the trigger. It's a
whole lot cheaper to try to control the guns though...

</RANT2>

I'm sorry if this appears disjointed or has obvious grammatical errors - I'm
trying more to communicate an idea then pass an english test. :)

Thomas Weigle

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

> > Shit. I don't understand this logic. 34 000. Thirtyfourthousand. Shall I
> > put a smilie here for each of them? How the hell can you calculate using
> > deaths to justify your right to own a handheld weapon? If losing that right
> > will save five people every year, isn't that worth it?
>
> No. Giving up the right to free speech would probably save 5 loudmouths
a year
> or so too, but it ain't gonna happen. Like it or not, 5 lives are
INSIGNIFIGANT
> in the global scale. Sure I'd be unhappy if those 5 lives were my family, but
> I'd be a minority. A _gross_ minority. Most people wouldn't give a damn or
> even know. I'd be sad, but the vast majority would be indifferent. The
> majority is what's important here - our government sems to ahve forgotten
that.

I just know that it is impossible to argument with someone stating
something like this... When do those lives become important? When five
people die? Obviously not according to you. When 50 people die? 500? 5 000?
34 000?

Freedom of speech and the right to own weapons are not the same thing. Not
by far. If you believe that it is those guns that keep your country a
democracy, then I'm very sorry for you and all others that think like you.

End of story.

Thomas Weigle

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

In article <341EAE90...@idsoftware.com>, American McGee
<amer...@idsoftware.com> wrote:

> Free until we release Quake 2 that is :)

Now, this is an honor. So tell me, since I love dm2 and hate dm4, will you
provide us with something similar to those in Quake 2?

According to some calculations I've made, yours are the most frag friendly
levels in Quake. Please keep them that way... =)

/Thomas the Lava Bather
Who actually won his first 1on1 on dm4 EVER today, 29-3. Then again, I lost
dm2 for the first time ever just before...

Binestar

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

John Carmack wrote:

> American McGee <amer...@idsoftware.com> wrote in article
> <341EAE90...@idsoftware.com>...
> > FormerQuakeAddict wrote:
> >
> > > You bunch of internet Quake addicts!!! I deleted my Quake directory. I
> > > was
> > > wasting too much of my life playing internet Quake.
> >
> > Free until we release Quake 2 that is :)
> >
> > -American McGee
> > id Software
> >

> McGee,
>
> Get back to work NOW!
>
> John.
Hey!!! Whut are YOU doin' browsing the groups???? You think you Own
IDSOFTWARE or something????? oh wait....
--
_____________
|If white wine|
| goes with | Binestar '97
|fish do white|
| grapes go |
|with sushi???|
|_____________|

Binestar

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

John Carmack wrote:

> American McGee <amer...@idsoftware.com> wrote in article
> > Free until we release Quake 2 that is :)
> >
> > -American McGee
> > id Software
> >

> McGee,
>
> Get back to work NOW!
>
> John.
Hey!!! Whut are YOU doin' browsing the groups???? You think you Own
ID SOFTWARE or something????? oh wait....

Metalflake

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

> I just know that it is impossible to argument with someone stating
> something like this... When do those lives become important? When five
> people die? Obviously not according to you. When 50 people die? 500? 5 000?
> 34 000?
>
> Freedom of speech and the right to own weapons are not the same thing. Not
> by far. If you believe that it is those guns that keep your country a
> democracy, then I'm very sorry for you and all others that think like you.
>
> End of story.

I'm sorry I was unclear. I can't set a reasonable limit on acceptable mortaity
rate - because _I_ know that every life is important. I was saying that there
must be a compromise reached at some point. As you get closer and closer to the
limit (0 unnatural deaths), the measures that need to be taken are so extreme
that they outweigh the benifits. I'm sory that mathematics must actually apply
after high school, but they do.

I'm neither qualified to nor do I have any desire to decide where this limit
occurs. That's up to the rest of the world as a whole. In an ideal world we
could control 100% of all firearm deaths - accidental _and_ intentionsl. In a
perfect world this wouldn't be a problem in the first place. :(

elizabeth & chris

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

Thomas Weigle wrote:

> In article <341DC642...@geocities.com>, metal...@geocities.com wrote:
>
> > > Shit. I don't understand this logic. 34 000. Thirtyfourthousand. Shall I
> > > put a smilie here for each of them? How the hell can you calculate using
> > > deaths to justify your right to own a handheld weapon? If losing that right
> > > will save five people every year, isn't that worth it?
> >
> > No. Giving up the right to free speech would probably save 5 loudmouths
> a year
> > or so too, but it ain't gonna happen. Like it or not, 5 lives are
> INSIGNIFIGANT
> > in the global scale. Sure I'd be unhappy if those 5 lives were my family, but
> > I'd be a minority. A _gross_ minority. Most people wouldn't give a damn or
> > even know. I'd be sad, but the vast majority would be indifferent. The
> > majority is what's important here - our government sems to ahve forgotten
> that.
>
> I just know that it is impossible to argument with someone stating
> something like this... When do those lives become important? When five
> people die? Obviously not according to you. When 50 people die? 500? 5 000?
> 34 000?
>
> Freedom of speech and the right to own weapons are not the same thing. Not
> by far. If you believe that it is those guns that keep your country a
> democracy, then I'm very sorry for you and all others that think like you.
>
> End of story.

Wow! This thread got totally out of hand! BTW, our founding fathers
gave us the right to bear arms because citizen militias were more common
and more acceptable than they are now. Right on , Tom! We don't need
guns as much as we need polite, civil, law-abiding citizens to make sure
that a democracy stays a system where we still have choices to make.

What is it that we want in America?

Freedom to ________?
or
Freedom from _______?

cya,
C. F. Archer

Felix Harris

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

>Get back to work NOW!
>
>John.

Hullo. How's Q2 coming?

HERBAVOR

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

In article <341ec84c...@news.infomatch.com>, in...@infomatch.com spewed
forth from his/her keyboard...

Apparently my original reply never made it to this news group, so here it is
again.

>On 15 Sep 1997 18:15:36 GMT, beavisb...@beavisandbutthead.com
>(HERBAVOR) wrote:

>>In article <MPG.e875093b...@news.inet.tele.dk>, ve...@hotmail.com
>>spewed forth from his/her keyboard...

-snip-

>>If each gun was used to kill only one person,
>>that means that 0.000130769% of all guns in the USA are used to kill
>>someone in the USA.

>actually it's 0.0130769% or just over 1 in a 1000. (don't forget to
>shift the decimal two positions to the right when connverting a
>decimal figure to a percentage figure.)

Sorry, I forgot about that. I knew the number seemed low, but I couldn't
figure out why. I haven't had any math or statisitcs courses for a while.

wouldn't it be just over 1 in 10,000? 1.0% is 1 in 100, 0.1% is one in 1000,
0.01% is one in 10,000.

>>Your Country:
>>5 million people
>>how many guns, not military/police owned?
>>5 firearms related murders.
>>what percentage of guns in your country are used in firearms
>>related murders?

> For the record the answer is 0.0001% or 1 in 10,000 which
>would seem to support the argument that tighter gun control laws lead
>to less firearms related deaths, even by the standards you have set
>out. Also the shocking information that nearly half (5 of 12) violent
>deaths in this country were firearm related. There is a good chance
>that easier access to firearms would change many other non-fatal
>violent crimes into homicides.

Would it make you feel any better if those 5 of 12 were pushed out of windows
rather than shot?

>>Switzerland:
>>Almost everyone over 21 owns a gun in that country, except people that were
>>convicted of serious crimes and people that are mentally ill. They have
less
>>than 5 frearms related murders a year.

> It is important to point out that this is because Switzerland
>relies on a "Peoples Militia" everyone over 21 is technically in the
>military. These guns are not for personal use, such as in home defence
>from burglars for instance.

They have been used for that though.

>The population is REQUIRED by law to have
>these weapons in case the state calls them into active military
>service. There laws governing the use of firearms are much more
>restrictive than those in the Unted States. There is less gun-related
>crime because of these restrictions, not because of the common
>availability of firearms.

However, Switzerland has one of the lowest household robbery rates in the
world because almost everyone there owns a gun. The less gun related crime
can be attributed to everyone else having a gun, so having a gun doesn't give
the criminal an advantage.

> Out of the total number of guns available for use, the
>percentage that are used in a crime leading to death is a meaningless
>number. Given a huge supply of firearms in the populace at large of
>course the percentage of available guns used in violent crimes will
>fall.

> The important figures are the number of deaths (per capita)
>that can be atributed to firearms. Even this information is not that
>conclusive without knowing the total number of violent crimes leading
>to death. More meaningful would be the total percentage of deaths
>attributed to firearms vs those of another nature. Perhaps the poster
>has these figures and would care to post them??

According to the American Red Cross, In the USA, the most common cause of
death is the category of household and automobile accidents. I don't have
the exact number but it is several hundred thousand people a year. All
firearms related deaths, including police shooting criminals, people using
firearms to commit suicide, people shooting criminals in self defense,
accidental deaths by shooting, and murders is about 34,000 people a year.

>>Also, in a recent survey of criminals in prisons in America, 95% said they
>>would not try to rob a house or apartment if they thought a person living
>>there might own a gun.

> This is a meaningless statement. Criminals will steal and they
>have no way of knowing if the occupants have firearms.

Actually there are. NRA stickers on the car and house windows, gun racks on
the car or truck, one of the many common stickers near a front door of a
house that shous a picture of a gun and says one of the following:
"I don't call 911, I use .357."
"trespassers and criminals will be shot, survivors will be shot again."
"Protected by Smith & Wesson."
"Never mind the dog, beware of owner."
Also, many criminals rob people that live near them. This way they can find
out some information about the intended victim. Quite often they will pass
up a house or person to rob if they are a gun owner. This was found by
interviews of criminals in prisons in the USA.

>Even if every
>household contained a gun, burglars would simply carry one aswell. I
>hardly think crime would end simply because everyone owned a gun.

In my example above, about Switzerland, read that again. Also, there are a
few towns and small cities in the USA that had big crime problems untill laws
were passes in those paces that said that every household that has a person
over 21 years of age that can legally own a firearm must have one in the
house. The crime in those towns and cities went form one of the highest per
capita rates, to one of the lowest in a matter of weeks after those laws were
passed.

>>P.S. I used a firearm to save my life once, and 2 million people in the USA
>>every year pervent crimes such as Murder, Rape, and Robbery every year with
>>firearm.

> This of course is your choice (in your contry I might add).
>How many of these incidents led to the crime of Homicide I wonder???

It isn't homicide if you use a firearm to defend yourself. Also, in many of
these instances, the firearm didn't even have to be fired, just its presence
caused the criminals to surrender or run away.

>The answer to these social problems is not always a bigger stick ( or
>gun as the case is here)

Not always, but quite often is.

'bavor

P.S. this is offtopic for this newsgroup. If you want to continue this in a
newsgroup where it would be more appropiate, such as rec.guns I would be glad
to.

Jim Hendrickson

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

FormerQuakeAddict wrote in article <5vf0bs$3n0$3...@darla.visi.com>...

>You bunch of internet Quake addicts!!! I deleted my Quake directory. I
was
>wasting too much of my life playing internet Quake.

What about SPQ?

The ONLY cure for a Quake addiction is Quake 2!

I was addicted to DOOM until I got QUAKE.

Jim

Thomas Weigle

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

> I'm sorry I was unclear. I can't set a reasonable limit on acceptable
mortaity
> rate - because _I_ know that every life is important. I was saying that there
> must be a compromise reached at some point. As you get closer and closer
to the
> limit (0 unnatural deaths), the measures that need to be taken are so extreme
> that they outweigh the benifits. I'm sory that mathematics must actually
apply
> after high school, but they do.
>
> I'm neither qualified to nor do I have any desire to decide where this limit
> occurs. That's up to the rest of the world as a whole. In an ideal world we
> could control 100% of all firearm deaths - accidental _and_ intentionsl. In a
> perfect world this wouldn't be a problem in the first place. :(

In a perfect world, there would be no firearms.

> Light in the absence of eyes
> illuminates nothing

True. So what are we talking about here?

/T

Thomas Weigle

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

In article <341F6A...@pop3.concentric.net>,
bink...@pop3.concentric.net wrote:

> Wow! This thread got totally out of hand! BTW, our founding fathers
> gave us the right to bear arms because citizen militias were more common
> and more acceptable than they are now. Right on , Tom! We don't need
> guns as much as we need polite, civil, law-abiding citizens to make sure
> that a democracy stays a system where we still have choices to make.

Thank you.

> What is it that we want in America?
>
> Freedom to ________?
> or
> Freedom from _______?

What is it we humans want? Any violence will lead to more violence, no
matter who is the instigator. The right to own weapons will lead to the
need for criminals to carry weapons, which leads to more rightfully owned
weapons which will lead to more criminals owning weapons which will lead
to...Can't people see what's going on here...?

Rob Davies

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

Big Bad Wolf wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Sep 1997 03:16:30 +0100, lo...@127.0.0.1 (Thomas Weigle)
> wrote:
>
> >Quake. Beer. Cigarettes. Coffee. Sex. Junk food. Chocolate. Internet. Prodigy.
>
> huh? - how does prodigy fit with the other items in that sentence??

Other than being a good thing? ;)
--
The RF

Metalflake

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

I'm guessing you mean the techno group (that I don't particualrly like) as
opposed to the sofware package/online service that was popular a few years back?

Light in the absence of eyes
illuminates nothing

http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~sauer

Metalflake

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

> In a perfect world, there would be no firearms.

In a perfect world, the firearms would be only used for sporting events,
entertainment (target practice and the like). They'd never kill anyone. I
actually enjoy shhoting at targets and such - it's a challenge that you don't
really need any athletic ability for. The handicapped can compete on a nearly
equal field with even teh top atheletes. _That's_ why I don't want a complete
ban. I can buy food so I have no need to kill/maim/destroy/etc.

> > Light in the absence of eyes
> > illuminates nothing
>

> True. So what are we talking about here?

Trying to give eyes to those that we're wasting our illumination on. :)

StoneMan

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

<snip snip>

> >Quake. Beer. Cigarettes. Coffee. Sex. Junk food. Chocolate.
Internet.
> Prodigy.
> >
> > huh? - how does prodigy fit with the other items in that sentence??
> >
> > Other than being a good thing? ;)
>
> 1) it's a really good thing.
> 2) Fire, Voodoo People, No Good, Firestarter, Narayan, Breathe. Addictive shit.

HEY!!! Don't forget Smack My Bitch Up! Got I LOVE that song while
killing you llamahs hehehe

I like this thread, keep it alive!

* The St0neMaN LEGALIZE IT!! *
* gri...@dwx.com *
* irc.pseudo.com #pseudo *
* What is the last thing that went through Kurt Cobain's head? *
* His teeth. *
* (Remove the NOSPAM from my address before sending email.) *

Metalflake

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

> No. In a perfect world there would be no firearms since firearms were
> invented to kill people.

I agree with your sentiment, but must take issue with this. Firearms were
invented out of the need to kill _animals_ for food. You can only throw a rock
or dart so accurately, and you know that animals won't just come up to you
asking to be clubbed. The gun was the method devised to propel a projectile
farther and more accurately with less effort so as to more easily kill animals
for food.

I'm sure that in a perfect world, we'd not need to kill animals for food either,
but then we run into population problems, etc.

> In a perfect world no need to kill people would exist. Plus, in a perfect world,
> VR would be much more developed and you could do some serious target practicing
> on your computer.

Yeah, you could practice, but nothing beats the real world. Of course, I don't
see the point of phone sex either. :)

> As for challenges, well, handicapped can compete with the best athletes in
> Quake as well.

I'm sure we can _all_ agree on that one. :)

> Soft air guns are pretty good for target practice and sporting events. And
> it's nearly impossible to kill a person with them.

Yeah, air guns are pretty neat, but to make it more challenging you need more
range - targets that are farther away. Air guns don't have a real good range,
so you start looking for more power. You stumble onto gunpowder to propel the
projectile farther. The launcher (now a firearm) _could_ be dangerous if
abused, but people should know better. You could kill someone with a lawnmower
or a Tesla Coil, but the people that use them (most of them) know better than to
abuse tehir property. :) So, I come back to my original argument: Training
respect for weapons is the answer (since they already exist and we can't go back
in time and stop their development yet...).

rj

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

in...@infomatch.com (Karl Innes) wrote:
>>260 million guns
>>34,000 firearms
>>If each gun was used to kill only one person,
>>that means that 0.000130769% of all guns in the USA are used to kill
>>someone in the USA.
>
>actually it's 0.0130769% or just over 1 in a 1000. (don't forget to
>shift the decimal two positions to the right when connverting a
>decimal figure to a percentage figure.)

Bzz, wrong, flunk math in school? Take 34,000 and divide it by 260,000,000
and you get his answer. I have no idea where your answer was pulled from,
your ass perhaps?

> For the record the answer is 0.0001% or 1 in 10,000 which

Yes, same as USA, wow, amazing, and we have a lot less gun control laws,
go figure.

rj
--
sig? I don't need no stinkin sig

Sidey

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

HAH!
You'll be back. You'll still be walking around sideways, going thru yah
wive's rings, jumping around, bopping up and down....
QUAKE 4 LIFE
go see a DOC

FormerQuakeAddict wrote:

> You bunch of internet Quake addicts!!! I deleted my Quake directory. I was
> wasting too much of my life playing internet Quake.
>

> and now I can:
> 1. Get to sleep at a normal time instead of 1 or 2 AM or ....
> 2. Be wide awake at work Monday through Thursday.
> 3. Do something besides play internet Quake, for who knows how many hours,
> on weekends.
> 4. Get back to programming on my own computer.
> 5. Get a haircut for the first time in ? months.
> 6. Vacuum the apartment.
> 7. Get some new clothes.
> 8. Get a life again.
> 9. Climb up on some big boulder and stomp around like an ape yelling "I'm
> FREEEEEE!".
>
> I always said to my self "I'll just play for a few minutes". Then I'll
> take the dog out and go to bed. Well it always ended up a few hours.
> Well now I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! of that damn
> internet Quake addiction.
>
> So how many of you at a University are practically majoring in Quake?
> Well delete your damn Quake directory if it's yours, or stay away from the

> @#$%^& thing if it's not. Otherwise you will regret it.

> I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
>
> Software Engineer &
> Former Internet Quake Addict

--
Remove the nospam from my email to respond or it's comin' right back at ya :-)

Thomas Weigle

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

> > In a perfect world, there would be no firearms.
>
> In a perfect world, the firearms would be only used for sporting events,
> entertainment (target practice and the like). They'd never kill anyone. I
> actually enjoy shhoting at targets and such - it's a challenge that you don't
> really need any athletic ability for. The handicapped can compete on a nearly
> equal field with even teh top atheletes. _That's_ why I don't want a complete
> ban. I can buy food so I have no need to kill/maim/destroy/etc.

No. In a perfect world there would be no firearms since firearms were
invented to kill people. In a perfect world no need to kill people would

exist. Plus, in a perfect world, VR would be much more developed and you

could do some serious target practicing on your computer. As for

challenges, well, handicapped can compete with the best athletes in Quake
as well.

Soft air guns are pretty good for target practice and sporting events. And

it's nearly impossible to kill a person with them.

/T

Thomas Weigle

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

In article <342135...@cs.bham.ac.uk>, Rob Davies
<R.M.Davi...@cs.bham.ac.uk> wrote:

> Big Bad Wolf wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 14 Sep 1997 03:16:30 +0100, lo...@127.0.0.1 (Thomas Weigle)
> > wrote:
> >

> > >Quake. Beer. Cigarettes. Coffee. Sex. Junk food. Chocolate. Internet.
Prodigy.

> > huh? - how does prodigy fit with the other items in that sentence??
>
> Other than being a good thing? ;)

1) it's a really good thing.
2) Fire, Voodoo People, No Good, Firestarter, Narayan, Breathe. Addictive shit.

/T

Shamus Young

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

Big Bad Wolf <big_bad@mindspring..com> wrote in article
<3420b4b4...@news.alt.net>...

> On Sun, 14 Sep 1997 03:16:30 +0100, lo...@127.0.0.1 (Thomas Weigle)
> wrote:
>
> >Quake. Beer. Cigarettes. Coffee. Sex. Junk food. Chocolate. Internet.
Prodigy.

> huh? - how does prodigy fit with the other items in that sentence??
No, no - its a puzzle. The question is : Which of the items listed above is
bad for you? The answer, or couse, is prodigy. =)

--
Shamus Young
Webmaster and World Developer

Bilbo Baggins

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

The most obvious thing about the use of the word Prodigy in the previous
posting is that it is a seperate sentence as indicated by both the
preceeding full stop (period to you americans out there) and the capital
letter at the start of the one word sentence.

So wolfie boy you shoulda done your english homework a bit better. A slap
on the wrists for you.

Smiles everyone.
Leigh Power

Alex Vincent

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

><snip snip>

> > >Quake. Beer. Cigarettes. Coffee. Sex. Junk food. Chocolate.
>Internet.
>> Prodigy.
>> >
>> > huh? - how does prodigy fit with the other items in that sentence??
>> >

>> > Other than being a good thing? ;)
>>
>> 1) it's a really good thing.
>> 2) Fire, Voodoo People, No Good, Firestarter, Narayan, Breathe. Addictive
>shit.
>

>HEY!!! Don't forget Smack My Bitch Up! Got I LOVE that song while
>killing you llamahs hehehe
>
>I like this thread, keep it alive!

Yeah damn right!!

Smack my bitch up is pretty damn cool, but I think you're forgeting
Minefields!!!
I designed my level with that in mind!! hahahah

Da Prodigy Rule!

cya's all
al
Alex Vincent, al...@far2cool.demon.co.uk
Homepage, http://www.far2cool.demon.co.uk

Bilbo Baggins

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

I think that every1 who had a gun should be taken out & shot with it, be it
legally or illegally held. Then the guns melted down and used to make
swings for children.
Then you would have no more problem.

J0 Mama

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:06:40 -0700, American McGee
<amer...@idsoftware.com> stuttered:

>FormerQuakeAddict wrote:
>
>> You bunch of internet Quake addicts!!! I deleted my Quake directory. I
>> was
>> wasting too much of my life playing internet Quake.
>

>Free until we release Quake 2 that is :)
>
>-American McGee
> id Software

Do you idiots really think American McGee and JOhn Carmack read these
groups?....BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

J0mama

"Now, if any of you primates even *touches* me.....YAHHHHHHHH!"

<remove "spam_this!" from my email to reply via email>

Tesla Coil

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

Metalflake wrote:

Yeah, air guns are pretty neat, but to make it more challenging you need
more

> range - targets that are farther away. Air guns don't have a real
> good range,
> so you start looking for more power. You stumble onto gunpowder to
> propel the
> projectile farther. The launcher (now a firearm) _could_ be dangerous
> if
> abused, but people should know better. You could kill someone with a
> lawnmower
> or a Tesla Coil, but the people that use them (most of them) know
> better than to
> abuse tehir property. :) So, I come back to my original argument:
> Training
> respect for weapons is the answer (since they already exist and we
> can't go back
> in time and stop their development yet...).
> Light in the absence of eyes
> illuminates nothing
> http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~sauer

Did someone say my name? Seriously, though you're right- you can kill
a person with a pencil if you want. Or you can create something with it.
Guns, however, have one purpose only-let's not kid ourselves- to kill.
In the most efficient way possible.
Talking about a perfect world will get us nowhere if it involves
uninventing things. Once the knowledge is out there, it will be used- in
all different ways. Education is the only answer.And all stuff like that
there.

-Tesla Coil

"P. T. Barnum was an optimist"

Thomas Weigle

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

In article <3422c622....@news.wwa.com>, j0mama@spam_this!.wwa.com (J0
Mama) wrote:

> Do you idiots really think American McGee and JOhn Carmack read these
> groups?....BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

I dunno. Why don't you, being the expert, tell me.

I've included the detailed information about the posts by "American McGee"
and "John Carmack" to save you some time in your research.

/T

From: American McGee <amer...@idsoftware.com>
Newsgroups:
rec.games.computer.quake.editing,rec.games.computer.quake.playing,rec.games.
computer.quake.misc,rec.games.computer.quake.servers
Subject: Re: I'm Free. You bunch of internet Quake addicts!!! I deleted my
Quake directory.
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:06:40 -0700
rec.games.computer.quake.playing:42959 rec.games.computer.quake.misc:72391
rec.games.computer.quake.servers:12339

From: "John Carmack" <john.c...@idsoftware.com>
Newsgroups:
Date: 16 Sep 1997 17:41:43 GMT
rec.games.computer.quake.playing:42978 rec.games.computer.quake.misc:72402
rec.games.computer.quake.servers:12344

Thomas Weigle

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

In article <01bcc514$596e7440$17030182@isdngis>, "Bilbo Baggins"
<bi...@bagend.ie> wrote:

Well, if that's the case, you should probably be shot as well, following
your own logic. Violence should, like, be stopped by non-violence, not by
violence.

/T

Thomas Weigle

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

In article <3421B46E...@dwx.com>, StoneMan <griffi...@dwx.com> wrote:

> HEY!!! Don't forget Smack My Bitch Up! Got I LOVE that song while
> killing you llamahs hehehe

Yeah, it's nice. Very nice. I prefer it before a good night on the town,
though. Still, nothing beats Breathe...

> I like this thread, keep it alive!

Nemas problemas.

Thomas Weigle

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

> > No. In a perfect world there would be no firearms since firearms were
> > invented to kill people.
>

> I agree with your sentiment, but must take issue with this. Firearms were
> invented out of the need to kill _animals_ for food. You can only throw
a rock
> or dart so accurately, and you know that animals won't just come up to you
> asking to be clubbed. The gun was the method devised to propel a projectile
> farther and more accurately with less effort so as to more easily kill animals
> for food.

The first rifles weren't actually suitable for killing animals. They were
better at penetrating the armor used at those times at close range. Go
figure. Then, people started using these weapons to kill foxes, deer,
pigeons and other kind of peace loving animals that we can't really use for
food anyway.

> Yeah, you could practice, but nothing beats the real world. Of course, I
don't
> see the point of phone sex either. :)

I don't see the point of phone sex, unless it keeps you from using weapons.
Sex is better than weapons, no matter in what form it comes.

> Yeah, air guns are pretty neat, but to make it more challenging you need more
> range - targets that are farther away.

I find this argument kind of lame. It's more an excuse for using real guns
than a good argument for using them.

Shannon Perry

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

Wow, ID talks with its devoted followers. This is quite an honor. Your
games have practically ruled our lowly lives for years now. Thanks, and
keep up the utterly amazing work.

Wingman
(Quake Addict)

(of course they could be imposters but I DO believe)

Torak Godking

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

Hmmm... If Quake has any effect on the personality, or the body for
that matter, I found it to be beneficial to mine. As for personality,
it taught me one of the basics, take care of you and your own. Which
is essential in life to survive. If someone threatens you or
something or someone you love, you've got to be ready to lay down your
life for it. Sad thing is, RL doesn't have respawn points. As for
body, it teaches you better hand-eye coordination and increases
reaction time.

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997 03:38:07 GMT, rabbit2 at mindspring.com (rabBit)
wrote:

>> This game has very strange effects on a personality. Not just the
>>personality but the person itself. It makes people have no respect for life.
>>Quake players would make perfect soldiers or at least remotely controlled
>>aircraft pilots. Its just like "Apocalypse Now". The soldier finds out that
>>in order to kill, one must already be dead.

Charles Tanner

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

I think that you also have to look at who these guns are killing, and in
what circumstances. I'm pretty sure that murders occur most often between
people that know eachother, ala domestic disputes. I'd have to guess that
the next catagory, from all the shock media that we all have been seeing,
is from gang related crimes, robberies, and drive bys.

Here is what is more interesting to me, and should be to al the rest of us:
How many of these handgun murders happen to people in 70k plus households
that live in the suburbs, and don't drink or cheat on their wife?

It's a whats in it for me kinda world. Ill start bitching when I see a
better than 0.00000000001 murder per year rate in my community. Until
then...blast away my good fellows

rj <r...@remove.this.cet.com> wrote in article
<VXZI0kw8...@remove.this.cet.com>...

Derek

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

Martin Schani Frandsen wrote:
> You silly twat of an americans, you just don't get it do you? Banning
> Semi-automatic assault weapons DO make a difference, why... well its
> really quite simple, you mention that it wont help outlawing guns because
> people that shoot other people with their guns don't care about the law.

Ok, if americans are so stupid why are we #1 in the world? I've heard
this argument before, banning guns would stop crime and murder. But it
won't. If they were illegal, there would be such a huge black market for
guns. The criminals would have guns, and the citizens would not.

A good example of how this works is, down in Louisiana (I think) they
made a law which states that you can shoot car jackers. Car jacking went
way way down.

> Again Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Americans when are you gonna learn that
> having 5 handguns per citizen in the U.S. is NOT the answer to crime.

See, here in the U.S. we don't have comunism. Well at least some would
argue that we don't. You see, banning fully autos, semi autos doesn't
make any difference. The people who use them either already have them,
or buy them from arms dealers.
--
http://www.sover.net/~restey/

Derek

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

Metalflake wrote:
> Here's where we get to the root fo your feelings, I believe. One of my friends
> got killed by riding in a camaro taht was exceedignthe speed limit. Huh, theer
> are laws against speeding, but it happened anyway? How can that be? Making
> laws against something always stops it, right?

And the government should ban Camaros! Hell ban all cars! Better ban
knives too, they hurt people. And those pesky stairs, lots of people
fall down them.
--
http://www.sover.net/~restey/

Jon D. Melbo

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997 03:10:40 +0100, lo...@127.0.0.1 (Thomas Weigle)
wrote:

>I just know that it is impossible to argument with someone stating
>something like this... When do those lives become important? When five
>people die? Obviously not according to you. When 50 people die? 500? 5 000?
>34 000?
>
>Freedom of speech and the right to own weapons are not the same thing. Not
>by far. If you believe that it is those guns that keep your country a
>democracy, then I'm very sorry for you and all others that think like you.

Not the end of the story. It is you who we should feel sorry for.
Let me turn your question around and ask you: What _is_ a life worth,
or flip around the equal sign... what _is_ worth a life? Is there
NOTHING that is the equal? Now, think about that hard for a minute,
then consider not just quantity of life, but the quality of it.
That's the factor people like you never factor in. By the logic you
presented so far, truly the following analogies are picture perfect:

If it even saves ONE life we should....

1. ban automobiles
2. ban poisonous household cleaning chemicals (a child could
be saved by golly)
3. ban alcohol (hey damn it, save some livers, save some
lives)

Obviously those things probably seem ridiculous to you, but they are
the same as banning guns. Like guns, all those items have legitimate
and quite moral uses. Not all things are of the same value to
everyone, but they do not need to be. What is important, is that each
person gets to decide that for him/herself, and if uses something does
it in a moral and as relatively safely as possible. The point here,
is that one life (a quantity) saved does not automatically outweigh
the quality of life factor (I shouldn't have to give up booze because
someone might die at a frat party next year etc.).

So I ask you sir, at what point is diminishing people's freedoms as
sovereign individuals go too far? How about forbidding red lollipops
on thursdays? How about no one drives autos so as to prevent related
fatalities? How about we live like virtual prisoners so as to protect
us all from ourselves? When does it go too far for you, or does it?

Think hard before you answer. The world is watching.

*** Please make sure responses are also sent via email.

n...@spam.com

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

In article <VXZI0kw8...@remove.this.cet.com>, r...@remove.this.cet.com
says...

>In article <341ec84c...@news.infomatch.com>,
>in...@infomatch.com (Karl Innes) wrote:
>>>260 million guns
>>>34,000 firearms
>>>If each gun was used to kill only one person,
>>>that means that 0.000130769% of all guns in the USA are used to kill
>>>someone in the USA.
>>
>>actually it's 0.0130769% or just over 1 in a 1000. (don't forget to
>>shift the decimal two positions to the right when connverting a
>>decimal figure to a percentage figure.)
>
>Bzz, wrong, flunk math in school? Take 34,000 and divide it by 260,000,000
>and you get his answer. I have no idea where your answer was pulled from,
>your ass perhaps?
>
>> For the record the answer is 0.0001% or 1 in 10,000 which
>
>Yes, same as USA, wow, amazing, and we have a lot less gun control laws,
>go figure.
>
>rj

Bzz, wrong rj, flunk math in school?
34,000 and divide it by 260,000,000 = 0.0001307692307692 = 0.01307692307692%
= (1 in 7647.058823531)

Kevin Lee

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

In message <3426adf0...@news.inc.net>,

ssil...@lax.net (Jon D. Melbo) wrote:

> If it even saves ONE life we should....
>
> 1. ban automobiles
> 2. ban poisonous household cleaning chemicals (a child could
> be saved by golly)
> 3. ban alcohol (hey damn it, save some livers, save some
> lives)
>
> Obviously those things probably seem ridiculous to you, but they are
> the same as banning guns.

I'm sorry, but I don't:
1. Need a gun to travel
2. Need a gun to clean my house
3. Need a gun to damage my liver

So, what can I use a gun for? Kill?
Or, what purpose does guns have other than killing? Causing property
damage? Noisemaking with dangerous projectiles?

> Like guns, all those items have legitimate and quite moral uses.

The only legitimate use guns normal civilians have is for sporting.
However, modern hunting is so ridiculous that it's not a sport
anymore. Not even self defense is a good reason, considering chances
are a gun in the house would more likely cause harm than in a house
without one.

> So I ask you sir, at what point is diminishing people's freedoms as
> sovereign individuals go too far?

It infringes on the right to live.
It infringes on the right to peace.
There might have been a time where the right to bear arms and the
above rights could co-exist, but we're in the 1990's now. They are
mutually exclusive right now. Quoting some dinosaur won't change
things.

But what if everyone in the country had a gun? If the country went
through a harsh recession, we'd be in a mini-Cambodia.

> Think hard before you answer. The world is watching.

Not to mention laughing their asses off at us. 10,000+ murders a
year... most of the world don't have murder rates half that number.

peace...
kpl

--
"Beyond the walls of intelligence, life is defined" - Nas

Ron Burton

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

Derek wrote:

> Martin Schani Frandsen wrote:
> > You silly twat of an americans, you just don't get it do you? Banning
> > Semi-automatic assault weapons DO make a difference, why... well its
> > really quite simple, you mention that it wont help outlawing guns because
> > people that shoot other people with their guns don't care about the law.

Good point. Also concider that the majority of such shootings take place
in lower income. Funny its an atrosity for a fey thousand to die in shooting
in the US but in Third World nations it takes 10s or 100s of thousands to get
anyones attention. Maybe the hole world has the problem not just Americans.

> Ok, if americans are so stupid why are we #1 in the world? I've heard
> this argument before, banning guns would stop crime and murder. But it
> won't. If they were illegal, there would be such a huge black market for
> guns. The criminals would have guns, and the citizens would not.

Opinionated? What are we #1 in? The fact of the matter is America is #1
in total lack of self control. We are #1 people who prefer bitch and whine
about things and point the finger at others blaiming them for all our problems
because we lack any concept of RESPONSABILITY for our own actions. For proof
refer to any Civil Court. I like to blaim lawyers for mutch of this but it
is a combination of Lawyers, Media, and our own lack of self interest in our
well being as a hole as aposed to the individual.

> A good example of how this works is, down in Louisiana (I think) they
> made a law which states that you can shoot car jackers. Car jacking went
> way way down.

Yes thats true, also simular statisitics for Maryland, Florida and a few
other states where the rules for carrying a concealed weapon has become far
less stiff. Allowing more people the opertunity to carry concealed weapons.
A perfect example of what can be accomplished by allowing people to take
responsability for their own lives.

> > Again Stupid, Stupid, Stupid Americans when are you gonna learn that
> > having 5 handguns per citizen in the U.S. is NOT the answer to crime.

Umm, hate to be a party pooper but I can find idiots in every country.
Why have a very active IRA? Car bombings weekly in Isreal and Jordan? I
mean lets face it we have our set of problems but every other country has
theres. Yet for all our problems we still seem to be doing just fine in
comparison to many countries.

The answer to crime is stiffer punishment and better educational
standards. But as long as we have the Overly Protective Humanitarian Nazi's
claiming that no matter how hideous a crime there is no reason to punish in
any physical way short of incarseration. Id like to point at perhaps a too
extream example of proper punishment for crimes ( Siengapor ( spelling is way
wrong )) where crime is vertualy unheard of. We have to decide if we want
total freedon in witch all must be expected to defend themselves ( totaly
unrealistic ), or Big Brother dictating all our lives ( very possible if we
are not carefull ). We have to find that spot in the midle.

> See, here in the U.S. we don't have comunism. Well at least some would
> argue that we don't. You see, banning fully autos, semi autos doesn't
> make any difference. The people who use them either already have them,
> or buy them from arms dealers.

Sure we do. Its just not the reigning form of goverment but there is a
comunist party active in the US. See thats the real power of the U.S. we have
it all and somehow we do a fairly good job staying afloat even with the same
diversities that cause so much tourmoil in europe and the middle east. Here
the KKK can protest on one side of the street and say a organiztion like the
black panthers on the other. And sure from time to time fights break out but
the country dosn't go up in flaims because of it. Did you know that the
average American will not even personaly know a shooting victim in their
entire life?

And concider the geographic regions for most shootings. Heavly populated
areas of witch the US has quite a few. To come close you would have to take
nearly every population center in 3 or 4 European countries. So naturaly any
one Europian country should have massivly reduced statistics. But then total
say 6 of Europes major Cities. Then the stats are not nearly as skewed.

So all this comes down to one small fact. We the people, we are the ones
to blaim and no law is going to change that. Until we start treating each
other on equal terms, till we start accepting the responsability of life. We
will continue to wallow in our own pit of hell. I don't care if its the US or
the UK we all suffer from the same selfishness, greed, desire and envy.

There Nothing about Quake in that hole post.

Strider Centaur

Arthur Tse

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

The one thing that drives me crazy about American justice system is that
it really becomes a "treasure hunting" ground for some stupid people ie.
a women who just happens to get a tap on the back and said she was
sexually harrased. These are extreme cases I know but at times it
becomes crazy.

Remove the * from my e-mail address to reply.

Browning Family

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

> FormerQuakeAddict <n...@spam.com> wrote in article
> <5vf0bs$3n0$3...@darla.visi.com>...

> > You bunch of internet Quake addicts!!! I deleted my Quake directory. I
> was
> > wasting too much of my life playing internet Quake.
> >
>AMEN BROTHER!!!!

Thomas Weigle

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

> 1. ban automobiles
> 2. ban poisonous household cleaning chemicals (a child could
> be saved by golly)
> 3. ban alcohol (hey damn it, save some livers, save some
> lives)
>
> Obviously those things probably seem ridiculous to you, but they are

> the same as banning guns. Like guns, all those items have legitimate
> and quite moral uses.

Yes, ridiculous was a good word, but what I found ridiculous was how you
can even go as far as compare cars and guns. A car's purpose is to
transport people or goods from Point A to Point B. A gun's purpose, is to
kill. Either humans or animals.

> Think hard before you answer. The world is watching.

For a more detailed reply to your post, see Kevin Lee's article in the same
thread.

Thomas Weigle

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

#1? So how do you figure? Not all Americans are stupid either, but you sure
as hell match the criteria set up.

> See, here in the U.S. we don't have comunism. Well at least some would
> argue that we don't.

This has to be the single most stupid comment in this entire thread. So
what does Communism have to do with it?

It is loading more messages.