How do you use the mouse?!

meg...@mailexcite.com

Apr 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/14/98

Alot of the fastest players (the ones who can get through Nightmare
mode) like to use the mouse to play, but it seems so difficult. You
have to keep rolling it forward to move. What's the trick to being a
fast mouse player?

-MEGAMUR

Tom Robinson

Apr 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/20/98

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998 21:25:36 +0100, jo...@jken.demon.co.uk wrote:

>meg...@mailexcite.com wrote:
>
>> Alot of the fastest players (the ones who can get through Nightmare
>> mode) like to use the mouse to play
>

>IMO some of the skill of nitemare is knowing when to play *slow*. If
>you play fast like you would in deathmatch, say, you'll probably wind
>up dead. OTOH you have to keep a certain pace and keep moving
>otherwise the respawning monsters catch up with you.

Still depends very much on the level though. Linear levels are easier
to get through on nightmare.

>> but it seems so difficult. You
>> have to keep rolling it forward to move.
>

>Nooo, not like that :). What you do is use a key, or one of the mouse
>buttons for forward/backward movement. Also you should check the
>command line options for whatever program controls your mouse so that
>you can turn vertical sensitivity off - no more rolling backwards and
>forwards.

Also set up some keys for strafe left and strafe right. I use E for
forward, D for backward, S for strafeleft and F for straferight:

S D F

This allows you to dodge fireballs and attacks very easily. Once you
get the hang of it it's pretty easy to kill a baron or caco in even a
fairly confined space without taking a hit.

>> What's the trick to being a fast mouse player?
>

>I never made it myself, but I think endless hours of playing probably
>helps :).

Fast, well there's the joyb_speed 31 trick that almost everyone uses,
if you look in your default.cfg file for the joyb_speed line and
change the value next to it to 31 you will always be running. Saves
having to hold down the shift key.

Also if you _really_ want to run fast there's the straferunning trick
- hold down forward and strafeleft and run diagonally and you go a bit
faster. Also sometimes if you run directly against a wall you can go
a lot faster - that's wallrunning.

Thats about all I know, anyone wanna add any more techniques? :)

/=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=\ /=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-\
=-= Tom Robinson (aka Mystican) =-=-= =-=- To E-mail me, remove =-=-
-= http://members.xoom.com/mystican - -=-=-= the '.REMOVETHIS' =-=-=
=-=-= tom.ro...@cableol.co.uk -=-= =-=-= from the end of my -=-=-
-=-=-= TeamOnslaught Webmaster =-=-=- -=-=-=- address or use =-=-=-=
=-=- http://www.frag.com/teamons -=-= =-=-=- the address above -=-=-
\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=/ \=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-/

Chris Dale

Apr 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/20/98

In article <353f0b63...@news.cableol.co.uk>, tom.ro...@cableol.co.uk.REMOVETHIS wrotd:

>Also if you _really_ want to run fast there's the straferunning trick
>- hold down forward and strafeleft and run diagonally and you go a bit
>faster. Also sometimes if you run directly against a wall you can go
>a lot faster - that's wallrunning.
>
>Thats about all I know, anyone wanna add any more techniques? :)

Doom has three running speeds (not counting wall humping):
running, strafe-running, and strafe-drawing. Strafe-drawing
is a little faster than strafe-running, but harder to control for
distance. Hold the strafe button and push or pull yourself
around with the mouse. It's great for sweeping and gliding
around, moving while fixing your aim in an arbitrary direction,
and maintaining momentum or slaloming through twisty areas
without using the kb, not to mention the turbo boost. Combine
all three and you'll be able to outrun or overtake anyone.

cd

--
Chris Dale
Minneapolis, MN

Chris Dale

Apr 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/20/98

In article <Pine.GSO.3.96.980421005802.25571A-100000@ural2>, Hegyi Adam <ha...@hszk.bme.hu> wrotd:
>The problem is with what you call strafe-drawing (interesting expression...
>never heard it before!) is that you cannot turn while holding the mouse
>button.

You should mix its use with strafe-running, seamlessly.
On-off-on-off... I do use it a lot even in a confrontation,
but if you're unable to snap to a new direction, then you
need lots more practice with the mouse. It's great for
misdirection if my opponent thinks my attention is rigidly
fixed in one direction and I don't see him.

cd

Sir Robin

Apr 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/20/98

+AD4- Alot of the fastest players (the ones who can get through Nightmare
+AD4-mode) like to use the mouse to play, but it seems so difficult. You
+AD4-have to keep rolling it forward to move. What's the trick to being a
+AD4-fast mouse player?

You are doing it wrong.. :)

Configure it so that you can use right mouse button for forward moving
and left to shoot... The configure mouse speed so that you can turn just
by flipping mouse a bit. Much easyer and you don't have to roll mouse :)

+AD4--MEGAMUR

// Sir Robin a.k.a Jani Saksa
// Sir Robin's DooM Castle:
// http://www.kolumbus.fi/jani.saksa/doom/

Hegyi Adam

Apr 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/21/98

c...@visi.com (Chris Dale) wrote:

> Doom has three running speeds (not counting wall humping):
> running, strafe-running, and strafe-drawing. Strafe-drawing
> is a little faster than strafe-running, but harder to control for
> distance.

The problem is with what you call strafe-drawing (interesting expression...

never heard it before!) is that you cannot turn while holding the mouse
button.

Adam

Chris Robinson

Apr 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/21/98

> >>IMO some of the skill of nitemare is knowing when to play *slow*. If
> >>you play fast like you would in deathmatch, say, you'll probably wind
> >>up dead. OTOH you have to keep a certain pace and keep moving
> >>otherwise the respawning monsters catch up with you.

I'm continually amazed watching lmps of guys playing in Nightmare. For
example, if you watch Kai-Uwe Humpert play level 13 (Hunted) in the
Plutonia Experiment, it's amazing to see the patience and pace Kai plays
that level at. That level always gets me trying to go too fast and gets me
dead.

--
Christopher C Robinson, CNE
McDonnell-Douglas Technical Services

"There is no justice, only mercy."
Duncan McLeod - The Highlander

DAD

Apr 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/22/98

> Obvious I know but if you watch the very fastest speed demos this is
> the thing often that stands out - the guy made the quick time because
> he picked the cleanest line and never got slowed down by hitting
> anything. Takes a lot of practice to reach that kind of control
> though.
> --
John; Sort of makes one think that a lot of these demos set non-real-
istic expectations?

DAD

LJH

Apr 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/22/98

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames/deathmatch/facility.zip has some
information about learning to use mouse+keys, but it is primarily
deathmatch-oriented.

--BahdKo

meg...@mailexcite.com wrote:

> Alot of the fastest players (the ones who can get through Nightmare

> mode) like to use the mouse to play, but it seems so difficult. You

> have to keep rolling it forward to move. What's the trick to being a

> fast mouse player?
>
> -MEGAMUR

me

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

In article <6hsg6l$qgg$2...@news.kolumbus.fi>, jsak...@hotmail.com says...

> +AD4- Alot of the fastest players (the ones who can get through Nightmare
> +AD4-mode) like to use the mouse to play, but it seems so difficult. You
> +AD4-have to keep rolling it forward to move. What's the trick to being a
> +AD4-fast mouse player?
>
> You are doing it wrong.. :)
>
> Configure it so that you can use right mouse button for forward moving
> and left to shoot... The configure mouse speed so that you can turn just
> by flipping mouse a bit. Much easyer and you don't have to roll mouse :)

shit, you mean im doing it wrong?
i leave the middle and right mouse buttons unmapped, i use w to go fwd
and s to go back
the key is to find a setup that works for you, one persons setup does not
neccessarily work on everyone's

da spaminator

Jim Wesolowski

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

sp...@nospam.bu.edu (me) wrote:

Well, I will venture to say most people would consider rolling the mouse
forward to move forward would be doing it wrong... thats what they guy
was doing.

Jim Wesolowski vap...@prism.gatech.edu

Sir Robin

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

+AD4APg- You are doing it wrong.. :)
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg- Configure it so that you can use right mouse button for forward moving
+AD4APg- and left to shoot... The configure mouse speed so that you can turn just
+AD4APg- by flipping mouse a bit. Much easyer and you don't have to roll mouse :)
+AD4-
+AD4-shit, you mean im doing it wrong?
+AD4-i leave the middle and right mouse buttons unmapped, i use w to go fwd
+AD4-and s to go back
+AD4-the key is to find a setup that works for you, one persons setup does not
+AD4-neccessarily work on everyone's

Ok... Anyway you wan't as long as you don't SCROLL MOUSE TO MOVE :-)

+AD4-da spaminator

Christian Gould

May 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/7/98

Speaking of using the mouse, i'm trying to work out how i can get the
right mouse button to be the 'use' button, i've edited the default.cfg
file so that in doom2 if i double click the right mouse button i can open
doors flick switches etc, but i really need to be able to simply single
click!! how can this be done?

with advanced thanx, vah.

ps. regarding "scroll mouse to move" is there also a way to disable
mouse movement (forwards and backwards) and simply have forward and
backwards keyboard keys assigned?