Help making demo with Doom95

Jozie

Oct 7, 2001, 7:53:39 AM10/7/01
Hi People,
I'm using the version from the Doom Anthology issue but can't record a demo
with it.
Any of the help files I have seen relate to using the command line.
Could someone please point me to a faq or helpfile?
Thanks for reading :)

Opulent

Oct 7, 2001, 2:40:41 PM10/7/01

Hi.

unfortunately, Doom95 is one of the worst ports of Doom. (I recommend
PrBoom for windows9x users)
but fortunately, we have Ledmeister to help us out. ;)
http://members.aol.com/ledmeister/
http://members.aol.com/ledmeister/doomparm.htm

I believe ALL of the command-line parameters for the real game work with
Doom95.(and even a few more)
for example:
doom95 -skill 4 -warp 22 -nodes 3 -maxdemo 1024 -record opdemo -file
hr.wad

all command-lines(that don't have the -nodm -nowarn parameters) will
take you to the launcher. -- just remember to select the same values(and
on each computer if multiplayer) in the launcher that you set in the
batchfile.

more simply:
doom95 -record new -warp 1 -skill 5
will record a demo called new.lmp on map01 on Nightmare mode.(I'm not
exactly sure what it does if you change the values in the launcher after
you've loaded them with the batchfile)

oh, one more thing about Doom demos... learn to share. ;)
thanks for listening,
Opulent

Never_Again

Oct 7, 2001, 9:19:39 PM10/7/01
In <ZgXv7.4960$w5.3...@news.indigo.ie> Jozie came forth to
rec.games.computer.doom.help and thus spake unto all:

That should have been in a FAQ but is not, seemingly due to the
popular belief that Doom95 sucks. Why it sucks has never been
conclusively proved, and its only drawback as far as I can see is that
it won't run Dehacked patches and the hi-res modes are slow on
anything lower than a Pentium 2.
Other than that, Doom95 is the best looking port to date. jDoom has
potential to improve on that, but we'll have to wait unti all visual
anomalies are sorted out with the renderer. zDoom comes close, but its
distinct Quake look is a turn off. (Of course this may be purely
subjective - I'm not trying to stir a source ports war here:).

The demo recording bug is rather annoying. The bad news is no command
line parameters exist for it.
The good news is I hacked doomlnch.dll and posted it to
alt.binaries.doom. Download it, copy it into your Doom95 dir and demos
will record with no problems.
--
Never_Again
I am is that which ends.

Jozie

Oct 8, 2001, 4:48:47 PM10/8/01
Thanks for the info, tis much appreciated.
Well done Never_Again! you've fixed the problem with that doctored dll.
Cheers :)

Never_Again

Oct 9, 2001, 10:07:13 PM10/9/01
In <Bcow7.5336$w5.3...@news.indigo.ie> Jozie came forth to

rec.games.computer.doom.help and thus spake unto all:

>Hi,

Another satisfied customer, hehe.
And while you're at it with Doom95, here's the list all command line
parameters that this particular exec accepts.

-320x200
-320x240
-640x400
-640x480
-320x200w
-320-240w
-640x400w
-640x480w

These set screen resolution and are self explanatory. Note that your
desktop must be at 8-bit (256 colors) for the windowed modes to work
properly.

-altdeath
-avg
-basewad

Sets the game mode:
1) shareware Doom ... doom1.wad
2) registered/ Ultimate Doom ... doom.wad
3) Doom ] [ ... doom2.wad
4) Final Doom - TNT: Evilution ... tnt.wad
5) Final Doom - Plutonia Experiment ... plutonia.wad
6). Doom ] [ French version ... doom2f.wad

-cdrom
-cmdfrag

Fraglimit?

-comdev
-config

Unlike in DOS Doom, seems to have no effect here.

-deathmatch
-debugfile
-devparm
-emulate

Disables Direct Draw acceleration. Useful with nVidia video cards
running Detnator drivers, where transparency is not handled properly.

-episode
-fast
-file
-guid

Along with -onet and -ticdup, it probably has something to do with
connecting to the now defunct DWANGO.

-loadgame
-maxdemo
-noblit
-noclipper (*)
-nodm

Skips the Launcher interface.

-nodraw
-nojoy
-nomonsters
-nomouse
-nomusic
-nosfx
-nosfxformat

Disables sound effects upsampling (?)

-nosound
-nowarn

Dsiables pausing at 'Warning: this Doom version has been modified...'

-onet
-penti (*)
-playdemo
-players
-record
-regdev
-respawn
-shdev
-skill
-statcopy (*)
-sysmem (*)
-ticdup
-timedemo
-timer
-turbo
-vidmem (*)
-warp
-wart
-weirdo

Most items except the Spheres respawn like in -altdeath. The respawn
delay in seconds can be specified this way: -weirdo 60 Iitems respawn
after 1 min).

I am not aware what the parms marked with (*) do.

Enjoy,

Led

Oct 9, 2001, 11:37:40 PM10/9/01
Never writes:

> [...]

> I am not aware what the parms marked with (*) do.

> [...]

Fred Hommel, who worked on Doom95, described some of these to me years ago. In
a nutshell:

-noclipper: doesn't create a DirectClipper object when running in a window

-penti: forces internal pentium flag (only used for startup video mode first
time game is run ever)

-sysmem: forces video surfaces into system memory

-vidmem: forces video memory into video memory

--Led

Support for console and PC Doom games
http://m1.aol.com/ledmeister

Never_Again

Oct 10, 2001, 9:14:41 PM10/10/01
In <20011009233740...@mb-md.aol.com> Led came forth to

rec.games.computer.doom.help and thus spake unto all:

>Fred Hommel, who worked on Doom95, described some of these to me years ago. In

>a nutshell:
>
>-noclipper: doesn't create a DirectClipper object when running in a window
>
>-penti: forces internal pentium flag (only used for startup video mode first
>time game is run ever)
>
>-sysmem: forces video surfaces into system memory
>
>-vidmem: forces video memory into video memory

Led, you are priceless! Did you know ? :)
Thank you.

Care to expand the nutshell?
hehe

I'm in particular curious about the internal pentium flag.

Led

Oct 12, 2001, 8:43:04 AM10/12/01
[Re: Missing Doom(95) parameters]

Never wrote:

> [...]

> Care to expand the nutshell?

Unfortunately it was Fred's nutshell... I've scanned my e-mail archives and
haven't found anything else from him on those parameters.
I'd suggest writing to him if you can find a current address. (If not, e-mail
me, and I'll send you the last addy I have for him.)
:)