Anyone know of a freeware chess game for Windows 95?

Liu

Nov 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/2/98
Does anyone know of a freeware chess program for Windows 95 that I can
download?

I use to play Chessmaster on my Gameboy and recently got a freeware
version for my Windows CE 2.0 handheld pc and was wondering if there
is one for my desktop running Windows 95?

Any help is appreciated... take your time to reply if you can not
remember the urls off the top of your head, since I have 3 weeks of
final university examinations to get through.

Thanks

George

http://members.xoom.com/singloon/index.htm - version 2 entirely new
web site
[Windows CE, Downloads, Handheld PC section, various Search Engines,
My Resume, Photos, Brisbane links & More...]

http://members.tripod.com/~GEORGE_LIU/index1.HTML

http://www.CELair.com

Liu

Liu

Nov 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/2/98
Thank you very much for all people's help with me finding a chess
program.

I have downloaded, Crafty 15.18, GnuChess and Winboard 4.0 for FIC -
which I registered with last night.

I have problems using Winboard and FIC game play... really I don't
know how to get set up and to challenge other players or to use the
commands - I looked at the FAQs and have some idea but and step by
step guided assistance via posts to this newsgroup would also be
appreciated.

BTW, what are blitz, standard and other modes of chess play available
via FIC servers. I only want to play the normal standard plays.

Peter Del Vecchio

Nov 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/2/98
I use CClient for FICS and Blitzen for the ICC. I went thru the same
problems you are having. Which one is best... How to use... etc...
When I stumbled on CClient it seemed to be the easiest to use when
playing on the net at one of the chess playing sites.
Blitzen can only be used on the ICC site, which is a commercial
site(about $50 a year). I like Blitzen because you can size the windows
the way you like, which means you can get a bigger playing board.
CClient doesn't have this ability, but it has "automatic" commands so
you don't have to type as much as Blitzen. Hope this helps... just my
opinion.

Komputer Korner

Nov 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/2/98

1. Create a shortcut by dragging the winboard.exe file onto your
desktop (do this in windows explorer or from "my computer").

2. Right click on the shortcut you just created, and choose
properties.
Then select the 'shortcut' tab at the top.

3. Now add the following to what is already in your target window:
-ics -icshost serveraddress

where serveraddress can be replaced by the name of the server you wish
to visit... chess.net, fics.onenet.net........... etc.

4) Logon to your internet provider
5) When you double click the Winboard icon you will automatically go
to your
favorite server.

Komputer Korner
The inkompetent komputer

To send email take the 1 out of my address. My email address is
kor...@netcom.ca but take the 1 out before sending the email.

Edward D. Collins

Nov 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/2/98
Peter Del Vecchio <delv...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> Blitzen can only be used on the ICC site, which is a
> commercial site(about $50 a year). I like Blitzen because

> you can size the windows the way you like, which means you
> can get a bigger playing board. CClient doesn't have this
> ability, but it has "automatic" commands so you don't have
> to type as much as Blitzen.

Note that WinBoard has 13 different board sizes to choose from. I'm
currently running Windows at a resolution of 1,152 by 864 and even here
the largest board size nearly fills my screen. And at 1,024 x 768 this
board size is almost too big!

As far as "automatic" commands go, the only typing I ever do with
WinBoard is when I'm typing someone a message. I can read the news
items, read the help files, send out my favorite seek parameters, accept
challenges, resign, offer draws, read the finger notes of others,
examine any game in my history, check my lifetime stats against my
last/current opponent, etc., etc., etc., all with my mouse.

For a tribute to this interface that I put together, see my homepage.

(Note: Actually, I think you can get a bigger board with CClient simply
by dragging the board window.)

Best regards,
___ __ _
| ,::::::< (_ _/ _ _ _/ / ) / ) //' _
| ,::/^\"``. /__(/((/(// (/ /(_/. (__()((//)_)
| ,::/, ` 描.
| ,::; | '. e-mail: ecol...@inficad.com
| ;::| \___,-. c)
| ;::| \ '-'
| ;::| \ Edward D. Collins proudly presents...
| ;::| _.=`\ his very own homepage!
| `;:|.=` _.=`\
| '|_.=` __\ http://www.inficad.com/~ecollins

Spencer R. Lower

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
Peter Del Vecchio <delv...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

>I use CClient for FICS and Blitzen for the ICC. I went thru the same
>problems you are having. Which one is best... How to use... etc...
>When I stumbled on CClient it seemed to be the easiest to use when
>playing on the net at one of the chess playing sites.

>Blitzen can only be used on the ICC site, which is a commercial
>site(about $50 a year). I like Blitzen because you can size the windows
>the way you like, which means you can get a bigger playing board.
>CClient doesn't have this ability, but it has "automatic" commands so
>you don't have to type as much as Blitzen.

CClient does allow you to size the board! Just grab the bottom edge
of the board window and it automatically fills the allotted space.

Gijsbert Wiesenekker

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98

Liu wrote:

> Does anyone know of a freeware chess program for Windows 95 that I can
> download?
>
> I use to play Chessmaster on my Gameboy and recently got a freeware
> version for my Windows CE 2.0 handheld pc and was wondering if there
> is one for my desktop running Windows 95?
>
> Any help is appreciated... take your time to reply if you can not
> remember the urls off the top of your head, since I have 3 weeks of
> final university examinations to get through.
>
> Thanks
>
> George
>
> --
> http://members.xoom.com/singloon/index.htm - version 2 entirely new
> web site
> [Windows CE, Downloads, Handheld PC section, various Search Engines,
> My Resume, Photos, Brisbane links & More...]
>
> http://members.tripod.com/~GEORGE_LIU/index1.HTML
>
> http://www.CELair.com

I have just finished an alpha-2 version of ZZZZZZ 5.0.
It runs under W95/NT and comes with the complete Delphi 4.0 source code.
Beta 1 will participate in the Dutch Computer Championships 1998.
It can be downloaded from my home page:
http://home.wxs.nl/~gijsbert.wiesenekker

Regards,
Gijsbert

Lafayette Spósito Goyano Jota

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98

Gijsbert Wiesenekker escreveu na mensagem <364628E5...@wxs.nl>...

Anyone who wants free chess is really welcome to my page.
http://surf.to/xadrez it is in portuguese but
anyone can undersatnd the Download section.

Liu

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
Thanks I have now enough free chess programs to evaluate and mess
around with for a while. But now I have final uni exams to prepare
for so thanks very much again

George

http://members.xoom.com/singloon/index.htm - version 2 entirely new
web site

[Windows CE, Downloads, Submit your Web site to 650 search engines for
FREE, Handheld PC section, various Search Engines, My Resume, Photos,

Lafayette Spósito Goyano Jota wrote in message
<727ur2$m0s$1...@srv4-poa.nutecnet.com.br>...
:
:Gijsbert Wiesenekker escreveu na mensagem

:
:

The Master Of Magic

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98

Well, I'm going to have to try that one, but a good one for Win95 is
good ol' GNU Chess (http://www.gnu.org) or Crafty (don't member the
address on that one), but they are great!

Ed

Liu

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
Thank you, I have downloaded GNU chess as well.

I don't need any more freeware chess programs any more.

I appreciate all the help that everyone has provided.

George

http://members.xoom.com/singloon/index.htm - version 2 entirely new
web site

- [Photos, Brisbane links, Windows CE, Downloads, Submit your Web site
to 650 search engines for FREE, Handheld PC section, various Search
Engines, & More...]
- [Star Wars Episode 1 links]
- [My RESUME : Brisbane, Australia]

http://members.tripod.com/~GEORGE_LIU/index1.HTML

http://www.CELair.com

The Master Of Magic wrote in message
<365dd2e1...@news.hcnews.com>...
:On Mon, 09 Nov 1998 00:27:33 +0100, Gijsbert Wiesenekker