Super Chess (14x14)!

Michael N Goldshteyn

Dec 30, 1993, 1:39:26 AM12/30/93

Here is yet another idea for a 2 player chess variant. Although not all rules
have been defined yet, here goes. By the way leave me comments if you find
this a good idea, as well as change possibilities to make it more fun.

Super Chess on 14x14 board

Piece Symbol Description

pawn P moves: forward 1, forward 1 or 2 initially
captures: diagonally forward, all
promotion: promotes to all but king upon reaching final rank
knight N moves: L shaped 2 square in one direction, 1 square at right angle
to first direction
captures: same as moves and occupies that square
bishop B moves: Diagonaly any number unless blocked
captures: diagonaly first enemy in path, and occupies that square
rook R moves: Straight line any number unless blocked
captures: straight line first enemy in path, and occupies square
queen Q moves: bishop+rook
captures: bishop+rook
camel C moves: similar to knight but 3 and 1 instead of 2 and 1 (bigger L)
captures: similar to knight but 3 and 1 instead of 2 and 1
octopus O moves: knight+bishop
captures: knight+bishop
shifter S moves: like king
captures: like king
jumper J moves: 2 squares any direction
captures: can jump over one enemy piece like a checker, capturing
it and occupying the destination square, 2 away from
the start square
air A moves: 4 squares in any combination (straight+diagonal)
captures: any enemy along path, stopping at that square
lord L moves: rook+knight
captures: rook+knight
demon D moves: like king
captures: none
special: any friendly piece touched cannot be captured, other
than another demon
faerie F moves: like bishop
captures: like rook
envy E moves: like king
captures: none
special: give any friendly piece touching other than an envy or
pawn, queen like movement and capture capability, in
addition to normal abilities, but only for one move if
contact is lost on that move. Once contact is lost,
piece reverts to normal.
grunt G moves: camel+king
captures: camel+king
special: if captured, returns to square of origin if not occupied,
otherwise lost (square of origin on either side (left or
right) of board, permissible)
king K moves: 1 square any direction, but not into check, no castling
captures: 1 square any direction, but not into check
special: if under attack, and cannot defend, it is checkmated,
game over, opponent wins. Stalemate is a loss. No draws
accept by agreement of players.

Initial board configuration:

ernbocqkcobnre
gdflsjaajslfdg
pppppppppppppp
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
d-+-+-+-+-+-+d
D+-+-+-+-+-+-D
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
PPPPPPPPPPPPPP
GDFLSJAAJSLFDG
ERNBOCQKCOBNRE

I strongly recommend you print this out and look it over and tell me
what you think :).

etc...@iitmax.iit.edu

Sam E. Trenholme

Jan 6, 1994, 10:32:21 AM1/6/94
In article <1993Dec30.0...@iitmax.iit.edu>,

Michael N Goldshteyn <etc...@iitmax.iit.edu> wrote:

>Here is yet another idea for a 2 player chess variant. Although not all rules
>have been defined yet, here goes. By the way leave me comments if you find
>this a good idea, as well as change possibilities to make it more fun.

The game look as though it would take longer to play.

I wonder how hard it would be to hack gnuchess to be able to play this game?

I always have imagined chess variations where the game is played on a
hexagon grid or a triangle grid. No full ideas yet.

Another idea: The players can determine the placement of their pieces on the 1
and 8 rows (respectably), with the pawns as is, one piece at a time, with
white placing first, a la Risk. I think it would take away some of white's
advantage.