ZZZZZZ 3.4 available

Gijsb. Wiesenekker

Jul 28, 1994, 3:36:15 AM7/28/94
ZZZZZZ-3.4 is now available by anonymous ftp to
ics.uoknor.edu in the directory /pub/chess/uploads/Unix or
(if Chris has already moved it) in the directory
/pub/chess/uploads.

The changes are:

- FEN positions descriptions are now used throughout.
- The threat extensions have been removed (the code got too messy with the
PVM code). They will be reintroduced in 3.5.
- The parallel code has been rewritten from scratch.
The program should now also run on massively parallel machines.
NOTE:
There is still a bug in that part which I haven't found yet..
- The opening book code has been rewritten from scratch.
A btree-indexed database with FEN positions is now used.
- The PGN database reader now also checks for duplicate games (using
a btree database with 32-bit CRC of the games) and it can tag
games with an opening code.
- Uses configuration files $HOME/.zzzzzzrc and ./.zzzzzzrc.
Also uses environment variables.
- A perl script for letting zzzzzz play on the Internet Chess Server
is included.

Gijsbert Wiesenekker
wiese...@sara.nl

Gijsb. Wiesenekker

Jul 28, 1994, 4:10:43 AM7/28/94
Gijsb. Wiesenekker (wie...@iodine.chem.vu.nl) wrote:
: ZZZZZZ-3.4 is now available by anonymous ftp to

: ics.uoknor.edu in the directory /pub/chess/uploads/Unix or
: (if Chris has already moved it) in the directory
: /pub/chess/uploads.

>> Should be /pub/chess/Unix.

: The changes are:

: - FEN positions descriptions are now used throughout.
: - The threat extensions have been removed (the code got too messy with the
: PVM code). They will be reintroduced in 3.5.
: - The parallel code has been rewritten from scratch.
: The program should now also run on massively parallel machines.
: NOTE:
: There is still a bug in that part which I haven't found yet..
: - The opening book code has been rewritten from scratch.
: A btree-indexed database with FEN positions is now used.
: - The PGN database reader now also checks for duplicate games (using
: a btree database with 32-bit CRC of the games) and it can tag
: games with an opening code.
: - Uses configuration files $HOME/.zzzzzzrc and ./.zzzzzzrc.
: Also uses environment variables.
: - A perl script for letting zzzzzz play on the Internet Chess Server
: is included.

>> Also all two- and three-piece endgame databases are included now
>> in the draughts program.

: Gijsbert Wiesenekker
: wiese...@sara.nl

Gijsb. Wiesenekker

Jul 28, 1994, 3:39:27 AM7/28/94

Subject: ZZZZZZ 3.4 available
Newsgroups: rec.games.chess

[...]

- The draughts program now includes all two and three-piece endgame
databases.

Gijsbert Wiesenekker
wiese...@sara.nl

Gijsb. Wiesenekker

Jul 28, 1994, 5:34:54 AM7/28/94
(Our news seeems to hang when posting, so let's try again)

Gijsb. Wiesenekker (wie...@iodine.chem.vu.nl) wrote:
: ZZZZZZ-3.4 is now available by anonymous ftp to

: ics.uoknor.edu in the directory /pub/chess/uploads/Unix or
: (if Chris has already moved it) in the directory
: /pub/chess/uploads.

>> Should be /pub/chess/Unix.

: The changes are:

: - FEN positions descriptions are now used throughout.
: - The threat extensions have been removed (the code got too messy with the
: PVM code). They will be reintroduced in 3.5.
: - The parallel code has been rewritten from scratch.
: The program should now also run on massively parallel machines.
: NOTE:
: There is still a bug in that part which I haven't found yet..
: - The opening book code has been rewritten from scratch.
: A btree-indexed database with FEN positions is now used.
: - The PGN database reader now also checks for duplicate games (using
: a btree database with 32-bit CRC of the games) and it can tag
: games with an opening code.
: - Uses configuration files $HOME/.zzzzzzrc and ./.zzzzzzrc.
: Also uses environment variables.
: - A perl script for letting zzzzzz play on the Internet Chess Server
: is included.

>> The draughts program now includes all two- and three piece endgame
>> databases.

: Gijsbert Wiesenekker
: wiese...@sara.nl