World Computer Chess Championship

Don Beal

Mar 16, 1995, 12:42:52 PM3/16/95
The 8th ICCA Computer Chess World Championships at
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 25-30th May 1995

The World Championships

Every 3 years, the International Computer Chess Association (ICCA)
organises the Computer Chess World Championship. This year the ICCA has
selected Hong Kong as the venue of the Championship. The 24 participants this
year include the world's strongest chess playing computers including FRITZ (a
Dutch program that was the first computer to defeat World Chess Champion Gary
Kasparov in a series of 5-minute games), CHESS GENIUS (a British program which
recently defeated Kasparov in a 2-game match where each player had 25 minutes
for all their moves), REBEL which is a program based on the current World
Champion CHESS MACHINE from the Netherlands, and the winner of the 1994 ACM
International Championship IBM's DEEP BLUE program.
Although the chess games will be played in Hong Kong, about nine of the
24 competitors are not physically present in the playing hall but are instead
connected by modern telecommunications from their home locations around the
world. In the past, the Championships have taken place in either N.America
or Europe. Hong Kong will be hosting the World Championship on its first
appearance in Asia. The World Championship is primarily sponsored by IBM
(USA). Other major sponsors include SUN Microsystems (HK), Compunetics, the
ACM (Association of Computing Machinery), Saitek, Varitronix, the Hong Kong
Chess Federation and the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
A match between a team of computers and a team of the best human players
in Hong Kong will also be organised during the Championship. The match is
sponsored by Saitek which will also be giving members of the general public
the opportunity to win Saitek computer chess machines in competitions held
during the Championship.

Venue and schedule

Venue: Rooms 603-605, Ho Sin Hang Engineering Building,
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin,
New Territories, Hong Kong.

Opening Ceremony: 12 noon, Thursday 25 May 1995 at Royal Park Hotel, Shatin

Championship (computers v computers): 4pm - 10pm, 25-29th May 1995 (5 rounds)

Saitek Challenge (Humans v Computers): 10am to 3pm, Sunday 28 May 1995

Awards Ceremony : 12.00-14.00 Tuesday 30 May 1995, Vice Chancellor's
V.I.P. Room, Benjamin Franklin Centre, Chinese University of Hong Kong.

For further information contact: Dr. H.K.Tsang, Dept of Electronic
Engineering, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong.
Telephone(+852)-26098254, Fax:(+852)-26035558,
email:hkt...@mailbox.ee.cuhk.hk

Axel Boldt

Mar 18, 1995, 4:24:01 PM3/18/95
d...@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (Don Beal) said:

Don> The 8th ICCA Computer Chess World Championships at
Don> The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 25-30th May 1995

Don> Although the chess games will be played in Hong Kong, about
Don> nine of the 24 competitors are not physically present in the
Don> playing hall but are instead connected by modern
Don> telecommunications from their home locations around the world.

Likewise, about 99.9% of those interested in this event won't be
physically present in the playing hall :-) Would it be possible to
broadcast the games life on FICS?
--
Axel Boldt * bo...@math.ucsb.edu * http://math-www.uni-paderborn.de/~axel/