Arasan 2.0 (Windows chess program) available via ftp

Jon Dart

Jul 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/4/95

I have uploaded a new version of Arasan, my Windows chess-playing
program, to ics.onenet.net. This is an update to the beta release
I made about a month ago.

I have put the files in directory /pub/chess/uploads/Win3. I expect
that they will be moved soon to /pub/chess/Win3.

In this directory are three files:

arasan16.zip - 16 bit executable (for Windows 3.1)
arasan32.zip - 32 bit executable (for Windows NT or Windows 95)
arasan_source.zip (source code)

You can also get these files from my ftp area at netcom. Login to
ftp.netcom.com (password anonymous), then cd to ~ftp/pub/jd/jdart.

The following bugs have been fixed since the beta release:

1. Possible crash bug in Log module fixed. This occurred when there
was no predicted move after a search (rare, but possible).
2. A fix was put into the Notation module for handling "Informant-
style" capture moves (no "x"). This is mostly important for the
opening book program ("makebook").
3. The PGN reader did not handle games that ended with the checkmate
symbol ('#'). This has been fixed.
4. The "Resume" command in the Clock menu was not working. It has been
replaced by a "Pause" command that toggles the clock state.
5. The "Computer plays White" menu command now has a check mark to
indicate the current state.
6. English opening names were not being shown in some circumstances. A
fix was made for this in ECO.CPP.
7. The computer failed to correctly announce check after making a book
move, or in some cases would announce it when there was no check.
This was fixed (in CArasanView::update_board).
8. The PGN and EPD readers have been improved to more gracefully handle
bad input (e.g. control characters). Also, a bug that could cause
the EPD reader to hang was fixed. Empty PGN games (no move section)
could also cause a hang - fixed.
9. Fixed a crash when ^O was typed (16-bit version only).

There is always one more bug, but I hope that the most annoying ones
have been killed. Thanks to Fabrice Roques, who reported some of
these problems.

--Jon

--
Jon Dart jd...@netcom.com