Comments on WCCC PGN gamescores

Steven J. Edwards

May 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/31/95
I recently posted the complete set of 61 game scores from the 1995
World Computer Chess Championship. The file was also uploaded to the
ics.onenet.net ftp site in the pub/chess/uploads/PGN_Events directory
as "WCCC.pgn.gz" and it should be moved to the
pub/chess/PGN/Events/1995 directory shortly.

There were a number of inconsistentcies in the source material. I
dropped version numbers from the program names as these were
erratically reported. I have also unified the various spellings of
each program's name.

Three of the games are truncated due to errors in the source material.
However, the results for these and all other games appear to be
correct.

The single playoff game was assigned a Round value of "6".

In some cases the resigning program also made the last move in a game.
I have retained these moves in the game scores, although I do not
generally approve of this practice.

I was surprised that several games ended in checkmate, as usually
programs can see forced losses from several moves away. I wonder if
the tournament directors requested that games be played out, at least
in some cases.

-- Steven (s...@mv.mv.com)