[ANN] The Crafty-Rebel NPS challenge...

Ed Schroder

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

Well folks it's going to happen, the Crafty-Rebel NPS challenge...

Rebel8 on tournament level against the latest version of Crafty with
100 x more time.

So Bob and I noticed like Vincent that it's very risky to make claims
or speculate here in RGCC, true or not true... :)

Vincent made a claim he has the strongest program in the world on
correspondence level and was faced with the Inkompetent Komputer Kup... :)

Bob said 200, I said 50 and now we both are stuck with a match that will
take months. Will we ever learn to shut our b.. m....? I hope not... :)

Well anyway the match will start next week but you can already check all
the testing details. Games will be covered with diagrams and downloadable
PGN files, so put a bookmark on the following URL:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rebchess/match.htm

- Ed Schroder -

Robert Hyatt

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

Ed Schroder (rebc...@xs4all.nl) wrote:
: Well folks it's going to happen, the Crafty-Rebel NPS challenge...

: Rebel8 on tournament level against the latest version of Crafty with
: 100 x more time.

: So Bob and I noticed like Vincent that it's very risky to make claims
: or speculate here in RGCC, true or not true... :)

: Vincent made a claim he has the strongest program in the world on
: correspondence level and was faced with the Inkompetent Komputer Kup... :)

: Bob said 200, I said 50 and now we both are stuck with a match that will
: take months. Will we ever learn to shut our b.. m....? I hope not... :)

At least not in this life time... :)

: Well anyway the match will start next week but you can already check all
: the testing details. Games will be covered with diagrams and downloadable
: PGN files, so put a bookmark on the following URL:

: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rebchess/match.htm

If you'd use a decent operating system, you could use "match.html" like
the rest of us. :)

<just kidding... but I do hate dos/windows... I spend more time unbreaking
config.sys files, autoexec.bat files and win.ini files... >

One thing that would be nice to see, but hard to put on your web server,
would be some indication of (a) depth for a move and (b) eval for that
move. Would be interesting to see if one sees something N moves before
the other (N=small number of course, as 100x computing time is going to
work out to (I'd guess) 3 plies or so since the hash table is going to
get scrunched with those big searches). The reason this would be interesting
is that we could (maybe) draw conclusions about +3 plies (if that's a good
number) while the games are in progress, as well as seeing how it affects
the win/loss ratio...

: - Ed Schroder -

Alexander Fuchs

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

><just kidding... but I do hate dos/windows... I spend more time unbreaking
>config.sys files, autoexec.bat files and win.ini files... >

NT 4 is very nice! If only more chess progs ran under NT... Come on,
Ed,Richard,Marty,Marc and all the others!!! Crafty runs fine under NT.
Probably even a little faster than under Win95.

Alexander Fuchs

Ed Schroder

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

From: hy...@crafty.cis.uab.edu (Robert Hyatt)

: Well anyway the match will start next week but you can already check all
: the testing details. Games will be covered with diagrams and
: downloadable
: PGN files, so put a bookmark on the following URL:

: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rebchess/match.htm

> If you'd use a decent operating system, you could use "match.html" like
> the rest of us. :)

HTM is much much shorter!

> <just kidding... but I do hate dos/windows... I spend more time
> unbreaking config.sys files, autoexec.bat files and win.ini files... >

> One thing that would be nice to see, but hard to put on your web server,

> would be some indication of (a) depth for a move and (b) eval for that
> move. Would be interesting to see if one sees something N moves before
> the other (N=small number of course, as 100x computing time is going to
> work out to (I'd guess) 3 plies or so since the hash table is going to
> get scrunched with those big searches). The reason this would be
> interesting is that we could (maybe) draw conclusions about +3 plies
> (if that's a good number) while the games are in progress, as well as
> seeing how it affects the win/loss ratio...

I was planning for both programs to display:
- the ply depth;
- the score;
after each diagram.

Also an idea for the KKK KK?

- Ed Schroder -

Robert Hyatt

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

Ed Schroder (rebc...@xs4all.nl) wrote:
: From: hy...@crafty.cis.uab.edu (Robert Hyatt)

: : Well anyway the match will start next week but you can already check all
: : the testing details. Games will be covered with diagrams and
: : downloadable
: : PGN files, so put a bookmark on the following URL:

: : http://www.xs4all.nl/~rebchess/match.htm

: > If you'd use a decent operating system, you could use "match.html" like
: > the rest of us. :)

: HTM is much much shorter!

OK... we have different scales. I say DB is 200 points better than the
rest of us, you say 50. Then you say 1 letter is much much shorter. :)

[...]

Wish so, yes. I hate trying to feed positions to crafty locally to
see what is going on...

And watch your acronyms... you can get into lots of trouble with the
racist crowd here. :)

: - Ed Schroder -

go...@pacific.net.sg

Feb 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/27/97

In the event that rebel 8 loses, can it (the engine) be made ahem.. free
like decade?
(just trying my luck here)