Chess program for NT

Michael Arnao

Aug 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/5/98
Does anyone know of a chess program that runs on
Windows NT?

Komputer Korner

Aug 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/6/98
Komputer Korner's List of Chess programs that run under WIN NT 4 -
version 23

Arasan
Bookup 1.53 ,
CA Chess Openings 1.0, CA Strategy 1.0
CB6 with dongle runs
CB7 without dongle runs
CB DEMO program
Championship Chess 1.0
Chenard,
ChessAcademy 3.0 Win NT 4 version
Chess Assistant 2.02 and 3.0 for Windows ,
ChessBase Light and the CM5000 will run under WIN NT 4 with a little
tweaking.
Chessica
Chess Mentor 1.5
Corel Chess
Crafty,
DBSCHESS runs in the DOS prompt of WIN NT 4.0
Diep
Essentia
Extreme Chess
Fritz 2, and Fritz 4.01 and Fritz 5 will
Genius 3
Genius 4 will run under WIN NT 4 but you have to insert the disk each
time and
it takes 10 minutes each time to overcome the copy protection.
Genius 5 with Genius WIN NT patch will run
Gnuchess,
Hiarcs 6 will run under WIN NT 4 but you have to install it under DOS
by booting up under DOS.
Knightmoves
M-Chess Pro 7.1 will run under WIN NT 4 , but you have to install it
from the DOS prompt.
Nero
NIC 3 and Rebel Decade
Nimzo 98 The software program from the Chessmasternetwork
Shredder
Schach Champ,
Schiller Teaches Chess
SSEChess
Tascbase 2.0 runs under WIN NT if you first install to WIN95 on a
separate partition
and then copy the directory to the WIN NT partition and then rename
the drives in the
Tascbase.ini file.
Tasc Chess Tutor
The Crazy Bishop
Virtual Chess 2
Winboard
Y Chess
Zarkov 4.3 (Masterchess 98)

Komputer Korner
The inkompetent komputer

To send email take the 1 out of my address. My email address is
kor...@netcom.ca but take the 1 out before sending the email.

Moritz Berger

Aug 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/6/98
On 7 Aug 1998 13:02:47 GMT, app...@yahoo.com (Bill Appelbe) wrote:

>In article <6qbbdu$1s1$1...@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>, kor...@netcom.ca says...

>>Komputer Korner's List of Chess programs that run under WIN NT 4 -
>>version 23
>

>>ChessBase Light and the CM5000 will run under WIN NT 4 with a little
>>tweaking.
>

>Hi
>What exactly does "a little tweaking" involve?

At least the German 1.04 version of CM 5000 cannot be tweak to run
under NT. It even crashes under Win98 ...

Moritz

Bill Appelbe

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
In article <6qbbdu$1s1$1...@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>, kor...@netcom.ca says...

>Komputer Korner's List of Chess programs that run under WIN NT 4 -
>version 23

>ChessBase Light and the CM5000 will run under WIN NT 4 with a little
>tweaking.

Hi
What exactly does "a little tweaking" involve?

Thanks

Bill
Bill Appelbe
IONA Technologies - Dublin, Ireland.
________________________________"Making software work together (tm)"__
the yahoo address is correct and heavily spam filtered
My opinions are mine - not my employers.

Komputer Korner

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
Up to the first patch version CM 5000.02 the executable can be edited
with a hex editor to get it to run under WIN NT 4 but you first have
to install under WIN 95 and then under WIN NT 4 as in a dual boot
setup. The whole exercise really isn't worth it but email me privately
if you really want to know.

Komputer Korner
The inkompetent komputer

To send email take the 1 out of my address. My email address is
kor...@netcom.ca but take the 1 out before sending the email.

Dann Corbit

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
I installed CM5500 on NT by running setup off of the CD instead of simply
letting it autorun.
--
Hypertext C-FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
C-FAQ ftp: ftp://rtfm.mit.edu, C-FAQ Book: ISBN 0-201-84519-9

Heinrich Konrad B.-Snoerje

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98
Komputer Korner wrote:

> Komputer Korner's List of Chess programs that run under WIN NT 4 -
> version 23
> Corel Chess
Can anyone tell me something about this prog ?
I saw it a few days in a computer shop.

--
PLEASE:
Don't send anwsers by email AND newsgroup, it cuts threads and it's

Komputer Korner

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
This review first appeared in Web Computer Chess Reports.

Corel Chess 1.0

I will first of all detail the good points about Canada's first
commercial chess program. Corel has entered the multi media chess
ranks after producing a chess program with the Socrates chess engine
by Dan Dialey and Larry Kaufman. This program which sells for
under $60 U.S. is a true multi media offering with all the sounds and
music and 3D boards. It has a unique feature of complete TCP-IP
internet play that allows 2 owners of Corel Chess in different cities
to play each other and send comments to each other directly without
having to access a WEB site. Corel
plans to put the email addresses of COREL Chess owners on their Corel
web site, so that the Corel Chess users can contact each other to
arrange a game. How it works is that each user emails each other to
arrange a game at a certain time. They both log on and then the Corel
Chess program gives an indication of what each user's dynamic address
is at the time they log on. Each user then emails the other to tell
them of their address and one user then acts as the server with the
other one entering the server's address in it's program. The
connection is then established and the players can play each other and
up to 23 spectators can watch if they also have Corel Chess. The 2
players can even send comments to each other.
2) Another nice feature is that Corel Chess does not install it's
complete program on your hard drive ( only 156Kb are placed on your
hard drive).
3) Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 versions are supplied on the same CDROM.
4) I liked all the timing options that are given and they are
presented in a user friendly dialog box.
5) You can set the computer strength.
6) The program imports PGN files correctly.
7) You can resign the game at any time.
8) The best move found so far is displayed and is not lost when the
next ply is calculated, so that the best move at each ply can be seen
for all the plies that were calculated on that move.
9) The clock set up is the best that I have seen.
10) The move list is big and bright and shows what pieces were
captured on each move.

Unfortunately, Corel who are known as the industry leader in graphics
failed in my opinion in the implementation of the graphics in this,
their first chess program. 5 of the 6 3-D boards are useless to play
with and the other 3D board called the Classic is not at a perfect
angle and seems to be far away from the user. It is also impossible to
change the angle of viewing the 3D board. 4 of the 2D boards are
useless and the other 2 are exact copies of each other as far as the
pieces are concerned with the pieces used being just passable as far
as playing with, is concerned. In other words, even the 2D pieces are
the worst in the industry and are on the quality level of freeware.

2) There is no database capability of searching for games.
3) There is no opening book editor.
4) The move list does not have figurines.
5) The program does not save your preferences when you exit the
program.
6) The move button bar on the top of the screen is too confusing vis a
vis the replay button. The replay button should be located somewhere
else or at least not beside the forward or backward buttons.
7) The maximum no. of moves allowed in any one game is only 150.
8) No PV line is given, only the best move.
9) There is a major bug that showed up in overnight analysis in
infinite mode. The program crashed even though the clock was still
working and I had to reboot to bring it back.
10) After you start a new game, the old best move analysis from the
previous game should disappear. It disappears only after you leave
book in the new game.
11) No Fischer time controls.
12) The word plies is spelt wrong in the help manual in the draw
section in Extra Tips.
13) The configuration warning window is in conflict with the minimum
system requirements.
14) The minimum system requirements is stated as not needing any hard
disk space. Actually 156Kb is needed.

For a program at such a nice price it is hard to be critical, but I
was so disappointed with the graphics, that I cannot recommend this
program. The other major fault that I have mentioned is that you
cannot save your screen settings and options. This is a major pain
when dealing with the program. One hopes that Corel Chess 2.0 will
correct these major shortcomings

Komputer Korner
The inkompetent komputer

To send email take the 1 out of my address. My email address is
kor...@netcom.ca but take the 1 out before sending the email.

Heinrich Konrad B.-Snoerje wrote in message
<35CCA8C7...@gmx.net>...

Komputer Korner

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
I tried this but got the error message "This application uses
CTL3D32.dll which is not the correct version. This version of
CTL3D32.dll is designed only for WIN32s or Win 95 systems. The
program will install allright but if you try to change the light
square colours or the board and pieces it crashes. CM5500 is not
playable within WIN NT 4. Dann, were you actually able to play a
whole game? I got a crash on move 2 even when I didn't try to change
any boards. Trying to change anything crashes the program.

Komputer Korner
The inkompetent komputer

To send email take the 1 out of my address. My email address is
kor...@netcom.ca but take the 1 out before sending the email.

User923005

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
KK:

>I tried this but got the error message "This application uses
>CTL3D32.dll which is not the correct version. This version of
>CTL3D32.dll is designed only for WIN32s or Win 95 systems. The
>program will install allright but if you try to change the light
>square colours or the board and pieces it crashes. CM5500 is not
>playable within WIN NT 4. Dann, were you actually able to play a
>whole game? I got a crash on move 2 even when I didn't try to change
>any boards. Trying to change anything crashes the program.
I didn't try to play any games. I changed the board from that awful 3-d thing
into a near x-board compatible look [much nicer]. Then I imported a small PGN
file. Then I tried to import a 550meg pgn file. I came back 30 hrs later and
it still was not done, so I killed the task. So really, I don't know if you
can play a game with it on NT. I have the latest patch, so that may make a
difference.
[This is Dann Corbit @home]
--
C-FAQ ftp sites: ftp://ftp.eskimo.com ftp://rtfm.mit.edu
Hypertext C-FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

Bill Appelbe

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
Hi
I'd love to know how you came up with that :-)
I see in the press release that you posted, CM6000 will support NT
I think I'll wait for that.

thanks

Bill

In article <6qg0l9$8er$1...@tor-nn1.netcom.ca>, kor...@netcom.ca says...