Computerised Chess Games

Ari Klinger

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

I am interested in the history of computerised chess games and chess on
computer. If anyone has any information or can give me some links to
check out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Humbert.Fiorino

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97
to a...@hartingdale.com.au

Komputer Korner

Apr 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/5/97

Ari Klinger wrote:

I am interested in the history of computerised chess games and chess
on
computer. If anyone has any information or can give me some links to

check out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Check out En Passant No.100 for a history of Computer Chess in Canada.
Nothing much has happened since except for a new program from the
U. of Toronto.

--
Komputer Korner

brucemo

Apr 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/5/97

A good current source is "Kasparov versus Deep Blue", by Monty Newborn,
Springer-Verlag, 1997, ISBN 0-387-94820-1.

It's about $30 US in hardback, but it's in print and should be findable.

bruce

Valavan Manohararajah

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <334624...@netcom.ca>,

Komputer Korner <kor...@netcom.ca> wrote:
>Ari Klinger wrote:
>
> I am interested in the history of computerised chess games and chess
> on
> computer. If anyone has any information or can give me some links to
>
> check out it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you
>
> Check out En Passant No.100 for a history of Computer Chess in Canada.
>Nothing much has happened since except for a new program from the
>U. of Toronto.
>
>--
>Komputer Korner

Actually, I think you are talking about the program RAJAH... it is not yet
associated with the university. I am just doing it as a hobby project, but
it may soon come under the "university of toronto" framework when I attempt
to design some hardware for it as part of my thesis in fourth year.

There seems to be also another new program from the University of Alberta
called "The Turk"... anyway according to the new ICCA journal, they have
implemented some new pruning algorithms in it called "Uncertainity Cut-Off".

man...@ecf.utoronto.ca | 3rd year Comp Eng., University of Toronto
Valavan Manohararajah |

Dave Gomboc

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

In article <E89oH...@ecf.toronto.edu>,
Valavan Manohararajah <man...@ecf.toronto.edu> wrote:

>Actually, I think you are talking about the program RAJAH... it is not yet
>associated with the university. I am just doing it as a hobby project, but
>it may soon come under the "university of toronto" framework when I attempt
>to design some hardware for it as part of my thesis in fourth year.
>
>There seems to be also another new program from the University of Alberta
>called "The Turk"... anyway according to the new ICCA journal, they have
>implemented some new pruning algorithms in it called "Uncertainity Cut-Off".

Well, Andreas Junghanns and Yngvi Bjornsson (hope I spelled both of
those names right :-) entered "The Turk" in the last ICCA tournament.
They are both taking their Ph.D. at the University of Alberta. I'm
not sure how often they poke their heads into r.g.c.c., though at
least one of their supervisors has been known to post occasionally in
here, only to get swiped at by rude people. :-!

Anyway, my understanding of the situation is that the Turk was started
from scratch, as opposed to modifying the code for Phoenix or what
have you. You can play live games against "The Turk" by surfing to
http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~games/TheTurk/index.cgi -- versions of
Netscape Navigator are generally more accepting of the Java applet
than versions of Internet Explorer. A standard mode is also availabe
for browsers which are not Java-enabled.

Dave Gomboc
drgo...@a.stu.athabascau.ca