Stand alone Chess computers

PHyatt1962

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
I would like some advice....

for years, I have been beaten by my Mephisto Milano, soundly. (It is the older
German made model....very well made!). But, as I have studied, I have found
that in a book, I can see the "stupid" computer move, and why the human won,
but could not in my own games.

Finally, after all these years of study, I can beat it! Whew. Finally!

Anyway, I would like to get the best and strongest stand alone that I can. I
would love one to use for problem solving, and to go over my own games with,
but NOT on a PC. (only stand alone, table top).

Could a few knowledgable folks recommend their top choices here? Please factor
in:
strength,
problem solving,
quality of the equipment made,
and price. (any bargains to be found?)

I realize that no one will match the software for pc's, but I just don't like
looking at the computer screen too long....

Thank you kindly,

Peter Hyatt

Tony Werten

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00

PHyatt1962 wrote in message
<20000410095744...@ng-ch1.aol.com>...

>I realize that no one will match the software for pc's, but I just don't
like
>looking at the computer screen too long....

Put a chessboard next to your computer for watching the game. It's worth it,
chess-software is really a lot stronger than stand-alone. ( I've always done
it this way, looking at the screen just doesn't help. I can watch forever
and still see nothing)

Tony

Gil Baron W0MN

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
Get one of the boards that interfaces to the computer and use PC
software. Yu get features and strength and at the same time a real
board. It is not cheap, but oh well. It would still be cheaper than
the best stand alone, the good ones are at a rip off price.

"PHyatt1962" <phyat...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I would like some advice....
>
> for years, I have been beaten by my Mephisto Milano, soundly. (It
is the older
> German made model....very well made!). But, as I have studied, I
have found
> that in a book, I can see the "stupid" computer move, and why the
human won,
> but could not in my own games.
>
> Finally, after all these years of study, I can beat it! Whew.
Finally!

> Anyway, I would like to get the best and strongest stand alone that
I can. I
> would love one to use for problem solving, and to go over my own
games with,
> but NOT on a PC. (only stand alone, table top).
>
> Could a few knowledgable folks recommend their top choices here?
Please factor
> in:
> strength,
> problem solving,
> quality of the equipment made,
> and price. (any bargains to be found?)
>

> I realize that no one will match the software for pc's, but I just
don't like
> looking at the computer screen too long....

fka...@rocketmail.com

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
phyat...@aol.com (PHyatt1962) wrote in
<20000410095744...@ng-ch1.aol.com>:

>Anyway, I would like to get the best and strongest stand alone that I
>can. I would love one to use for problem solving, and to go over my own
>games with, but NOT on a PC. (only stand alone, table top).

The best stand alone ever made is the Tasc R30, but it is out of
production for 3 years now, hard to find as new. It was wooden and
nice looking. It is rated 2370 by SSDF.

The strongest stand-alone in production is the plastic Mephisto
Atlanta, rated 2192. There is also the upcoming Novag Star Sapphire,
world's strongest portable unit. Its sister, table top model, Diamond
will be made or not, I do not know. Its rating will probably be close
to 2200.

>I realize that no one will match the software for pc's, but I just don't
>like looking at the computer screen too long....

Software is a much better choice. You can get a wooden board such as
DGT board and use it with a software, that way you can play on the
board and get strong analysis as well.

--
Please remove F from my e-mail address.
My chess page is at http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/8203/

Eric Hallsworth

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00

In article <8F12E0239kaiss...@news2.ibm.net>,
fka...@rocketmail.com writes

> The best stand alone ever made is the Tasc R30, but it is out of
> production for 3 years now, hard to find as new. It was wooden and
> nice looking. It is rated 2370 by SSDF.
>
> The strongest stand-alone in production is the plastic Mephisto
> Atlanta, rated 2192. There is also the upcoming Novag Star Sapphire,
> world's strongest portable unit. Its sister, table top model, Diamond
> will be made or not, I do not know. Its rating will probably be close
> to 2200.

Follow the link [RATINGS] on my site for ratings of Atlanta, Diamond2
and others. For your info. My magazine rating for your MILANO is 175
BCF/2003 Elo, so you will be able to establish how much better the
Diamond2 (196 BCF/2168 Elo) and Atlanta (205 BCF/2243 Elo) and others
are when you compare their ratings at my site with this figure. Also at
my office at Countrywide Computers we have a second-hand Mephisto
Montreux available - it's by de Koning and basically the Tasc R30
program but running slower. However I rate it about = to the Atlanta.
Brief descriptions and photos are available for some models if you
follow the link [Chess COMPUTER REVIEWS]

There will be an upgrade Star Sapphire and Star Diamond from Novag, but
more towards the end of the year I now believe.
--
With best wishes from Eric Hallsworth
The Red House, 46 High Street, Wilburton, Cambs CB6 3RA, England