Is Crafty development hardware-oriented?

1 view

Der Ubermensch

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
Looking thru the changes in main.c it seems that the most important changes
to Crafty of late are simply the ability to handle multi-processor boxes.
Are crafty's developers finished with knowledge-development? Are they just
waiting for the next gazillion-hertz CPU to be issued by Intel so that they
can retrofit crafty code on it?

Witness the recent HIARCS slaughter of the latest crafty version.

Also, who are the crafty developers? Do they have a rating? I know Mr.
Hyatt is the chief dog, but surely he relies on other folk to invest chess
knowledge in crafty.

Robert Hyatt

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
Der Ubermensch <areal...@arealsite.org> wrote:
: Looking thru the changes in main.c it seems that the most important changes

: to Crafty of late are simply the ability to handle multi-processor boxes.
: Are crafty's developers finished with knowledge-development? Are they just
: waiting for the next gazillion-hertz CPU to be issued by Intel so that they
: can retrofit crafty code on it?

: Witness the recent HIARCS slaughter of the latest crafty version.

Part of that was _caused_ by new 'knowledge'. Which was pretty badly broken
in its initial coding. Hiarcs may well win every game after this new code is
fixed. No idea. But the 'new code' was badly broken. Something that is not
uncommon with 'crafty'. If you haven't worked on a program with over 40,000
lines of code, you might not appreciate just how complex it is, internally.
And how small changes 'over here' produce major side-effects 'over there'.
It is the nature of complex software, even when it has been specifically]
designed to minimize this kind of stuff.

: Also, who are the crafty developers? Do they have a rating? I know Mr.

: Hyatt is the chief dog, but surely he relies on other folk to invest chess
: knowledge in crafty.

I am "it". I get help from time to time, but not regularly and not
frequently. I do get comments from a couple of GM players that bang on it
all the time.

So _no_ it isn't 'just waiting for the next gazillion-hertz cpu' although it
will certainly use it when it comes along. It is continually getting stuff
added and removed from the 'knowledge base' as the things are tried and
work or tried and found wanting.

--
Robert Hyatt Computer and Information Sciences
hy...@cis.uab.edu University of Alabama at Birmingham

Rolf Tueschen

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
Robert Hyatt <hy...@crafty.cis.uab.edu> wrote in
<7a9j12$ran$2...@juniper.cis.uab.edu>:

>So _no_ it isn't 'just waiting for the next gazillion-hertz cpu' although it
>will certainly use it when it comes along. It is continually getting stuff
>added and removed from the 'knowledge base' as the things are tried and
>work or tried and found wanting.

How probable is that GMs would give _you_, professional proxy for
IBM/DB, any advices? So that later the IBM could use your new code to
cheat human chessplayers?

Don't tell me that a gambler like GMRoman, who already played in Central
Park, should have a motivation to give you any informations for _free_.

I would say that most part of your strength comes from the hardware. The
rest is poppy-cock. Horse-hockey. Crafty is not freeware, it's a
professional player on ICC. Leader in Bullet.

All these stories about freeware. Of course crafty is for free if you
take your time for download. But the USA is the country of the money
game. And _somewhere_ also Bob will make profit.

Any opinions?

flum

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
Do I detect our famous anti-fascist stereotyping an entire population
here?

Robert Hyatt

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Rolf Tueschen <TUESCHEN.MEDIZ...@t-online.de> wrote:
: Robert Hyatt <hy...@crafty.cis.uab.edu> wrote in
: <7a9j12$ran$2...@juniper.cis.uab.edu>:

:>So _no_ it isn't 'just waiting for the next gazillion-hertz cpu' although it
:>will certainly use it when it comes along. It is continually getting stuff
:>added and removed from the 'knowledge base' as the things are tried and
:>work or tried and found wanting.

: How probable is that GMs would give _you_, professional proxy for
: IBM/DB, any advices? So that later the IBM could use your new code to
: cheat human chessplayers?

Why don't you ask any of the following: Roman, Dlugy, Lombardy, Seirawan,
plus a couple of more that have specifically asked to be unnamed? Perhaps
they can stoop to your level long enough to explain why. I don't ask. I
don't care. I only ask for their comments, _not_ why they want to give
them. Old proverb: "never look a gift horse in the mouth."

: Don't tell me that a gambler like GMRoman, who already played in Central

: Park, should have a motivation to give you any informations for _free_.

He does. He has an 800 number in Boston, which you can get via chess.net.
Call him and ask him.

: I would say that most part of your strength comes from the hardware. The

: rest is poppy-cock. Horse-hockey. Crafty is not freeware, it's a
: professional player on ICC. Leader in Bullet.

?? "professional player"?? It's never been paid a cent for playing chess,
it has never won a cash prize playing chess (USCF rules don't allow it
anyway) so "professional"? Perhaps, once again, you should find a _different_
word???

: All these stories about freeware. Of course crafty is for free if you

: take your time for download. But the USA is the country of the money
: game. And _somewhere_ also Bob will make profit.

In the USA, 99% of the folks with interet access get unlimited online
time for 20 dollars a month. So the 'cost' is essentially zero. And
from chess, bob does _not_ make a 'profit'. I don't make a _cent_.

: Any opinions?

Yes... you are an idiot. A diagnosis that would make any psychiatrist
proud.

Rolf Tueschen

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
<7aatna$8ul$2...@juniper.cis.uab.edu>:

>Rolf Tueschen <TUESCHEN.MEDIZ...@t-online.de> wrote:

>: How probable is that GMs would give _you_, professional proxy for
>: IBM/DB, any advices? So that later the IBM could use your new code to
>: cheat human chessplayers?

>Why don't you ask any of the following: Roman, Dlugy, Lombardy, Seirawan,
>plus a couple of more that have specifically asked to be unnamed? Perhaps
>they can stoop to your level long enough to explain why. I don't ask. I
>don't care. I only ask for their comments, _not_ why they want to give
>them. Old proverb: "never look a gift horse in the mouth."

All fine. And well put, so that my comment stands on its head. The
question was, I repeat it, why _they_ should advise _you_, exactly you,
without any incentive -- financially ...?!

>: Don't tell me that a gambler like GMRoman, who already played in Central
>: Park, should have a motivation to give you any informations for _free_.

>He does. He has an 800 number in Boston, which you can get via chess.net.
>Call him and ask him.

I don't believe you that he will inform you for _free_.

>: I would say that most part of your strength comes from the hardware. The
>: rest is poppy-cock. Horse-hockey. Crafty is not freeware, it's a
>: professional player on ICC. Leader in Bullet.

>?? "professional player"?? It's never been paid a cent for playing chess,
>it has never won a cash prize playing chess (USCF rules don't allow it
>anyway) so "professional"? Perhaps, once again, you should find a _different_
>word???

Seems to me as if I have touched a certain point ...

>: All these stories about freeware. Of course crafty is for free if you
>: take your time for download. But the USA is the country of the money
>: game. And _somewhere_ also Bob will make profit.

>In the USA, 99% of the folks with interet access get unlimited online
>time for 20 dollars a month. So the 'cost' is essentially zero. And
>from chess, bob does _not_ make a 'profit'. I don't make a _cent_.

Tell that your mama. Or to a 4-y-old kid. Everyone else does know how a
'profit' is directed so that nobody could understand from where it came
and in what direction it went. Fact is that no human being can live
without a cent in his pockets. In the actual scandal about IOC and Salt
Lake City this could be studied. There it's shown how indirectly a son
is supported, a house is being paid and so on. It's _all_ about money.

It can also be observed in the practice of Microsoft. Of course they
give away tons and zeyllions of stuff for free. But then the profit
comes from the domination of the market alone. From the Government
itself. From companies completely outside the software market. Hardware
is the keyword.

You can observe it everywhere. Little software xompanies like ChessBase
create products parallel to the interests of the hardware giants.
Without the creative persuading of the enduser that he might be in
serious need of faster, stronger, more powerful hardware, the wheel of
profit simply wouldn't go round so smoothly.

But that's only part of the whole system. If I would be the CIA, I would
know where to invest my money to get access to the people I wanted to
control. For the invention of all kind of cookies I would throw out
zillions of dollars.

>: Any opinions?

>Yes... you are an idiot. A diagnosis that would make any psychiatrist
>proud.

This final sentence alone shows again what a fach-idiot you are. A
psychiatrist being proud of making diagnoses of "idiocy" in public.
That's the same nonsense as if you wanted to tell me that an American
"male" in computerchess now living in Birmingham,Alabama could grow up
without a high dosis of inhibited Rambo mentality. Mostly they are
afraid of strong women with big tits but still attracted as a form of
sublimated homo-erotism. Excuse the openess, but we must talk tacheles..
Now, a psychiatrist would be really proud of such sort insight ... :)))

____________
There's a time of talking and there's a time to take action.
(N. Algren)

Rolf Tueschen

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
"flum" <flum@flum> wrote in <01be595c$474f5f80$aa3929cf@ahxg47zpty>:

> Do I detect our famous anti-fascist stereotyping an entire population
>here?

A population? Try to analyse before you write.

What I did? I pointed at a pattern, perhaps the most important in
USsociety.

If I'm wrong somewhere, tell me and explain why.

Robert Hyatt

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Rolf Tueschen <TUESCHEN.MEDIZ...@t-online.de> wrote:
: "flum" <flum@flum> wrote in <01be595c$474f5f80$aa3929cf@ahxg47zpty>:

You are wrong _everywhere_. No one has enough time to "tell you where
and explain why."

Robert Hyatt

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
[...]

I can't answer why. I can only say they do. And they can easily be
contacted to verify that (a) they sought me out to tell me various things
that needed work and (b) they haven't received a penny for their time/
trouble. However, in the case of Roman, I call him a 'friend' since we
talk on the phone regularly. Perhaps he values my friendship as much as
I value his? I don't question why...

:>: Don't tell me that a gambler like GMRoman, who already played in Central

:>: Park, should have a motivation to give you any informations for _free_.

:>He does. He has an 800 number in Boston, which you can get via chess.net.
:>Call him and ask him.

: I don't believe you that he will inform you for _free_.

Doesn't matter what you believe. Bruce has had conversations with him
too. How about this, since you don't believe things. In Jakarta, Roman
had a friend of his buy the computer I used. He sent it to me. He paid
the expenses for Tom Crain to travel to Jakarta (ICCA supplied the plane
ticket while Roman made the arrangements for hotel / food for Tom. Why?
I never asked. He made the suggestion, he knew Tom. Of course you won't
believe that either. You could log on to chess.net and ask Tom, who is
an admin there. But then you couldn't make your stupid statements, because
you would have 'facts' to deal with rather than your warped imagination?

:>: I would say that most part of your strength comes from the hardware. The

:>: rest is poppy-cock. Horse-hockey. Crafty is not freeware, it's a
:>: professional player on ICC. Leader in Bullet.

:>?? "professional player"?? It's never been paid a cent for playing chess,
:>it has never won a cash prize playing chess (USCF rules don't allow it
:>anyway) so "professional"? Perhaps, once again, you should find a _different_
:>word???

: Seems to me as if I have touched a certain point ...

If you would keep your hand off that 'point' and pay attention to what
you write, you would have a lot less trouble..

:>: All these stories about freeware. Of course crafty is for free if you

:>: take your time for download. But the USA is the country of the money
:>: game. And _somewhere_ also Bob will make profit.

:>In the USA, 99% of the folks with interet access get unlimited online
:>time for 20 dollars a month. So the 'cost' is essentially zero. And
:>from chess, bob does _not_ make a 'profit'. I don't make a _cent_.

: Tell that your mama. Or to a 4-y-old kid. Everyone else does know how a
: 'profit' is directed so that nobody could understand from where it came
: and in what direction it went. Fact is that no human being can live
: without a cent in his pockets. In the actual scandal about IOC and Salt
: Lake City this could be studied. There it's shown how indirectly a son
: is supported, a house is being paid and so on. It's _all_ about money.

Not to _all_ of us Rolf. You may have grown up morally bankrupt,
driven by nothing but money. Not _all_ of us fit that same mold however.
Thankfully...

: It can also be observed in the practice of Microsoft. Of course they

: give away tons and zeyllions of stuff for free. But then the profit
: comes from the domination of the market alone. From the Government
: itself. From companies completely outside the software market. Hardware
: is the keyword.

What the hell does MicroSoft have to do with this? Do you have serious
mental problems and random synaptic firings just cause you to blurt things
out? Things out of context and out of place?

: You can observe it everywhere. Little software xompanies like ChessBase

: create products parallel to the interests of the hardware giants.
: Without the creative persuading of the enduser that he might be in
: serious need of faster, stronger, more powerful hardware, the wheel of
: profit simply wouldn't go round so smoothly.

That is called basic economics. Which has nothing to do with Crafty and
Chess. Otherwise, you'd be hard pressed to explain how Harry Nelson and
I became close friends, bound thru our interest in computer chess, living
2500 miles apart on opposite sides of the USA. We _enjoyed_ what we did.
We enjoyed each other's company. He visited my home several times. I
visited his. We never paid each other a cent. We never received a penny
for our work on computer chess...

: But that's only part of the whole system. If I would be the CIA, I would

: know where to invest my money to get access to the people I wanted to
: control. For the invention of all kind of cookies I would throw out
: zillions of dollars.

If _I_ was in the CIA, I'd be talking to their 'wet operations group'
myself...

:>: Any opinions?

:>Yes... you are an idiot. A diagnosis that would make any psychiatrist
:>proud.

: This final sentence alone shows again what a fach-idiot you are. A
: psychiatrist being proud of making diagnoses of "idiocy" in public.
: That's the same nonsense as if you wanted to tell me that an American
: "male" in computerchess now living in Birmingham,Alabama could grow up
: without a high dosis of inhibited Rambo mentality. Mostly they are
: afraid of strong women with big tits but still attracted as a form of
: sublimated homo-erotism. Excuse the openess, but we must talk tacheles..
: Now, a psychiatrist would be really proud of such sort insight ... :)))

Just highlights and exposes your serious problems...

Rolf Tueschen

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
<7adbul$9ib$1...@juniper.cis.uab.edu>:

>Rolf Tueschen <TUESCHEN.MEDIZ...@t-online.de> wrote:
>: Robert Hyatt <hy...@crafty.cis.uab.edu> wrote in
>: <7aatna$8ul$2...@juniper.cis.uab.edu>:

>:>Rolf Tueschen <TUESCHEN.MEDIZ...@t-online.de> wrote:

>:>: How probable is that GMs would give _you_, professional proxy for
>:>: IBM/DB, any advices? So that later the IBM could use your new code to
>:>: cheat human chessplayers?

>:>Why don't you ask any of the following: Roman, Dlugy, Lombardy, Seirawan,
>:>plus a couple of more that have specifically asked to be unnamed? Perhaps
>:>they can stoop to your level long enough to explain why. I don't ask. I
>:>don't care. I only ask for their comments, _not_ why they want to give
>:>them. Old proverb: "never look a gift horse in the mouth."

>: All fine. And well put, so that my comment stands on its head. The
>: question was, I repeat it, why _they_ should advise _you_, exactly you,
>: without any incentive -- financially ...?!

>I can't answer why. I can only say they do. And they can easily be
>contacted to verify that (a) they sought me out to tell me various things
>that needed work and (b) they haven't received a penny for their time/
>trouble. However, in the case of Roman, I call him a 'friend' since we
>talk on the phone regularly. Perhaps he values my friendship as much as
>I value his? I don't question why...

Perhaps you can't. Can't you see that I ask a question which doesn't
deminor your friendship as you live it on a emotional level at all? It
often seems as if you thought you had to defend. You don't. But my
questionsis still unanswered. Take it away from you personally to be
able to recognize what I mean. There must be some economical basis? :)

>:>: Don't tell me that a gambler like GMRoman, who already played in Central
>:>: Park, should have a motivation to give you any informations for _free_.

>:>He does. He has an 800 number in Boston, which you can get via chess.net.
>:>Call him and ask him.

>: I don't believe you that he will inform you for _free_.

>Doesn't matter what you believe. Bruce has had conversations with him
>too. How about this, since you don't believe things. In Jakarta, Roman
>had a friend of his buy the computer I used. He sent it to me. He paid
>the expenses for Tom Crain to travel to Jakarta (ICCA supplied the plane
>ticket while Roman made the arrangements for hotel / food for Tom. Why?
>I never asked. He made the suggestion, he knew Tom. Of course you won't
>believe that either. You could log on to chess.net and ask Tom, who is
>an admin there. But then you couldn't make your stupid statements, because
>you would have 'facts' to deal with rather than your warped imagination?

See what I mean? Bob, thanks for the detasils and your openess once
again. That's how that functions. And you gave just one example. There
is no reason to tear this valuable friendships into a mud. What I wanted
to point at was exactly this economical importance. Excuse me that this
is well a topic of higher importance. Just to understand. NOT to defame!
A man in your position normally knows all that. But then --- I like you
for your openess. To a certain degree at least.

I would have wished that you had let sleep this topic. But if you want
to discuss mral bankruptcy, I have a nice detail for us. How _you_
presented the case of IBM/DBteamsters vs. Kasparov this opened a huge
window on a lack of moral. For you the money IBM had at stake justified
a behaviour that is regarded as disgustful in most civilizations.
Thankfully. The humiliation of a guest!!!

>: It can also be observed in the practice of Microsoft. Of course they
>: give away tons and zeyllions of stuff for free. But then the profit
>: comes from the domination of the market alone. From the Government
>: itself. From companies completely outside the software market. Hardware
>: is the keyword.

>What the hell does MicroSoft have to do with this? Do you have serious
>mental problems and random synaptic firings just cause you to blurt things
>out? Things out of context and out of place?

What? You're on their defense too? Since when? ROTFL.

>: You can observe it everywhere. Little software xompanies like ChessBase
>: create products parallel to the interests of the hardware giants.
>: Without the creative persuading of the enduser that he might be in
>: serious need of faster, stronger, more powerful hardware, the wheel of
>: profit simply wouldn't go round so smoothly.

>That is called basic economics. Which has nothing to do with Crafty and
>Chess. Otherwise, you'd be hard pressed to explain how Harry Nelson and
>I became close friends, bound thru our interest in computer chess, living
>2500 miles apart on opposite sides of the USA. We _enjoyed_ what we did.
>We enjoyed each other's company. He visited my home several times. I
>visited his. We never paid each other a cent. We never received a penny
>for our work on computer chess...

No, for sure. But _you_ suddenly made it as an academic ... ROTFL.

For the kids: 2500 miles apart. Ouuuch. That's a long way to go if
you're on the road or a hobo.

Bob, you're a smart computerchess expert, you're open-minded like not
many, but in presenting your fog machine you are quite unexperienced. I
like it. Becoming an academic after so many years is an economical
thing, ok?!

>: But that's only part of the whole system. If I would be the CIA, I would
>: know where to invest my money to get access to the people I wanted to
>: control. For the invention of all kind of cookies I would throw out
>: zillions of dollars.

>If _I_ was in the CIA, I'd be talking to their 'wet operations group'
>myself...

>:>: Any opinions?

>:>Yes... you are an idiot. A diagnosis that would make any psychiatrist
>:>proud.

>: This final sentence alone shows again what a fach-idiot you are. A
>: psychiatrist being proud of making diagnoses of "idiocy" in public.
>: That's the same nonsense as if you wanted to tell me that an American
>: "male" in computerchess now living in Birmingham,Alabama could grow up
>: without a high dosis of inhibited Rambo mentality. Mostly they are
>: afraid of strong women with big tits but still attracted as a form of
>: sublimated homo-erotism. Excuse the openess, but we must talk tacheles..
>: Now, a psychiatrist would be really proud of such sort insight ... :)))

>Just highlights and exposes your serious problems...

Bob, go down into the cellar. Put your hands on your ears and ------
start laughing as loud as you can.

Now, how are you? Fine? Let's not be so serious all day long. Just give
me a smile, Bob! Virtually! I like it.

_____________________________________
UAB Station, man. I'm waiting for my man!

Gently into the night ....

Robert Hyatt

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Rolf Tueschen <TUESCHEN.MEDIZ...@t-online.de> wrote:
: Robert Hyatt <hy...@crafty.cis.uab.edu> wrote in
: <7adbul$9ib$1...@juniper.cis.uab.edu>:

:>:>Rolf Tueschen <TUESCHEN.MEDIZ...@t-online.de> wrote:

I'll say it again. "there must be ..." is simply false. Money is _not_
at the root of _all_ decisions everyone makes. If it was, I would not be
at UAB where I am today, because I was offered a lot more money elsewhere.
I'm here because I _want_ to be. I answer about 30-50 emails per day about
computer chess because I _want_ to. These are private emails and not things
posted here. So, if there "must be some economical basis" perhaps you could
enlighten me as to where my financial gain is from answering private email?

[...]

but about your statement "I don't believe ..."??? In light of new
evidence, what do you believe now?

:>:>: I would say that most part of your strength comes from the hardware. The

A lack of proper planning on the part of Kasparov does not mean a lack
of principle on the part of IBM. Garry _could_ have written into the
contract before match 2 "after the 6 games, complete program output
must be turned over to me for analysis." Then they could have declined,
and he could have refused to play. Which they couldn't let happen. But
he didn't 'think ahead' very well, and left himself open...

:>: It can also be observed in the practice of Microsoft. Of course they

:>: give away tons and zeyllions of stuff for free. But then the profit
:>: comes from the domination of the market alone. From the Government
:>: itself. From companies completely outside the software market. Hardware
:>: is the keyword.

:>What the hell does MicroSoft have to do with this? Do you have serious
:>mental problems and random synaptic firings just cause you to blurt things
:>out? Things out of context and out of place?

: What? You're on their defense too? Since when? ROTFL.

I don't have any use for microsoft, so I don't defend them. I don't
use MS products. I use Linux only. But they are certainly the best
software company in the world. Or else the entire world is very stupid
for buying their products and pushing them to the top of the software
industry.

[...]

I have been an "Academic" since 1970. If you look back in history you
will find my first computer chess event was 1976. about 7 years _after_
I was on the faculty at the University of Southern Mississippi. And you
will find a couple of 'gaps' where I didn't compete at all. And it had
nothing to do with what I _really_ do here anyway.

: For the kids: 2500 miles apart. Ouuuch. That's a long way to go if

: you're on the road or a hobo.

: Bob, you're a smart computerchess expert, you're open-minded like not
: many, but in presenting your fog machine you are quite unexperienced. I
: like it. Becoming an academic after so many years is an economical
: thing, ok?!

I was an 'academic' 3 months after finishing my BS degree in 1970. I have
been one ever since, chess or no chess...

: _____________________________________
: UAB Station, man. I'm waiting for my man!

: Gently into the night ....

Komputer Korner

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Rolf and Sean have now become the 2 people personally responsible for
Bob Hyatt not having enough time to write the definitive book on " How
to write a computer chess program". The amount of time that Bob
wastes with these 2 individuals is a travesty and represents a real
loss to the computer chess world. We all wonder why Bob wastes this
time and can only hope that his tremendous contribution to the
computer chess world will continue without his wasting his time with
the above 2 individuals.

Komputer Korner
The inkompetent komputer

To send email take the 1 out of my address. My email address is
kor...@netcom.ca but take the 1 out before sending the email.

Bill Newton

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 02:49:44 -0500, "Komputer Korner"
<kor...@netcom.ca> wrote:

>Rolf and Sean have now become the 2 people personally responsible for
>Bob Hyatt not having enough time to write the definitive book on " How
>to write a computer chess program". The amount of time that Bob
>wastes with these 2 individuals is a travesty and represents a real
>loss to the computer chess world. We all wonder why Bob wastes this
>time and can only hope that his tremendous contribution to the
>computer chess world will continue without his wasting his time with
>the above 2 individuals.

Well said KK ..... I'm perpetually amazed that Bob wastes so much
time responding to Rolf and Sean, he gives them unwarranted kudos.

He should ignore their unsavoury postings, as there are many of
us much lesser lights in RGCC who will happily take them to task
should they persist with them.

This would generate more time for Bob to get on with what he does
best, namely producing chess computer articles/responses that are
welcomed by all chess enthusiasts.

Come on Bob believe me, the best way for you to really cheer RGCC
readers up, and simultaneously deflate both Rolf and Sean completely,
would be for you to post a note stating that you now intend to
completely ignore any future postings they choose to make.

Try it .....please ........ I guarantee you will be inundated with
congratulatory notes, and the cheers will be deafening:))

Regards.

Rolf Tueschen

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
bi...@notwen30.freeserve.co.uk (Bill Newton) wrote in
<36cc65bc....@news.freeserve.net>:

>Come on Bob believe me, the best way for you to really cheer RGCC
>readers up, and simultaneously deflate both Rolf and Sean completely,
>would be for you to post a note stating that you now intend to
>completely ignore any future postings they choose to make.

>Try it .....please ........ I guarantee you will be inundated with
>congratulatory notes, and the cheers will be deafening:))

The Stalker is quite right. Usenet is divided in partes tres. One for
Bob, one for Thy Pope and one for Rolf, the expert.

So this is a fair deal.

But again, The Stalker, Bob did that for many months and then he had to
come back because we have a relation with one another. I'm the grain
that makes grow Bob's computerchess contributions. It's the classical
situation of love and hate. Of course we had real friendship if Mr.
Hyatt ("Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyatt") would apologize for his fascist stuff
against Rolf. Euthanasia and the allegated sub-human species.

Please, The Stalker, do support freedom and democracy against fascist
shit. Work with me against Mr. Hyatt ... not for me personally but for
the whole group.

>Regards.

Niko Wellingk

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
TUESCHEN.MEDIZ...@t-online.de (Rolf Tueschen) writes:
> Robert Hyatt <hy...@crafty.cis.uab.edu> wrote in
> <7aatna$8ul$2...@juniper.cis.uab.edu>:
>
> >Rolf Tueschen <TUESCHEN.MEDIZ...@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> >: All these stories about freeware. Of course crafty is for free if you
> >: take your time for download. But the USA is the country of the money
> >: game. And _somewhere_ also Bob will make profit.
>
> >In the USA, 99% of the folks with interet access get unlimited online
> >time for 20 dollars a month. So the 'cost' is essentially zero. And
> >from chess, bob does _not_ make a 'profit'. I don't make a _cent_.
>
> Tell that your mama. Or to a 4-y-old kid. Everyone else does know how a
> 'profit' is directed so that nobody could understand from where it came
> and in what direction it went. Fact is that no human being can live
> without a cent in his pockets. In the actual scandal about IOC and Salt
> Lake City this could be studied. There it's shown how indirectly a son
> is supported, a house is being paid and so on. It's _all_ about money.

So, according to Rolf, if I just happened to code let's say an operating
system (wonder where that came to my mind) and distribute it freely,
somehow, somewhere, I would suddenly get a lot of money?

What are you trying to say here?

--
Niko Wellingk n...@niksula.hut.fi

Rolf Tueschen

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
Niko Wellingk <n...@niksula.hut.fi> wrote in
<s89k8xg...@leikkiauto.cs.hut.fi>:

>So, according to Rolf, if I just happened to code let's say an operating
>system (wonder where that came to my mind) and distribute it freely,
>somehow, somewhere, I would suddenly get a lot of money?

You can bet. :)

>What are you trying to say here?

Something similar to what you had asked. And yes, the money will come to
you too. :)

BTW could you tell me where the inventor of LINUX is actually living? :)

>--
>Niko Wellingk n...@niksula.hut.fi

Der Ubermensch

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
Linus T. lives in U.S. and works for Transmeta, a secret company planning to
take over the world. Transmeta is on the west coast of the great big US of
A.

Mike Tiller

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
bi...@notwen30.freeserve.co.uk (Bill Newton) writes:

> On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 02:49:44 -0500, "Komputer Korner"
> <kor...@netcom.ca> wrote:

> Well said KK ..... I'm perpetually amazed that Bob wastes so much
> time responding to Rolf and Sean, he gives them unwarranted kudos.
>
> He should ignore their unsavoury postings, as there are many of
> us much lesser lights in RGCC who will happily take them to task
> should they persist with them.
>
> This would generate more time for Bob to get on with what he does
> best, namely producing chess computer articles/responses that are
> welcomed by all chess enthusiasts.
>

> Come on Bob believe me, the best way for you to really cheer RGCC
> readers up, and simultaneously deflate both Rolf and Sean completely,
> would be for you to post a note stating that you now intend to
> completely ignore any future postings they choose to make.
>
> Try it .....please ........ I guarantee you will be inundated with
> congratulatory notes, and the cheers will be deafening:))

Right on!

--
Michael Tiller