Sargon Series...

JCormier

Jun 1, 2001, 6:08:01 PM6/1/01
Hello,

How many versions of Sargon chess for PC beyond III? (Sargon III, IV etc
...) And where to download them if they still exist?

--

MBW

CCCage

Jun 1, 2001, 7:23:46 PM6/1/01
It is commercial software, not freeware:

http://www.mobygames.com/game_group/sheet/gameGroupId,191/

"JCormier" <joe_co...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Joe Moore

Jun 1, 2001, 9:04:16 PM6/1/01
I have Sargon 5. It has the manual that you will need to use it. It forces
you to enter stuff from the manual when starting up. However I don't use it
anymore, I use Chessmaster 6000. What's so special about it? Sargon 5.
Chessmaster appears to be better.

Mike S.

Jun 2, 2001, 5:23:06 AM6/2/01
"Joe Moore" <jv2080...@yahoo.com> schrieb:

> I have Sargon 5. It has the manual that you will need to use it. It
forces
> you to enter stuff from the manual when starting up. However I don't
use it
> anymore, I use Chessmaster 6000. What's so special about it? Sargon 5.
> Chessmaster appears to be better.

It's more a computer chess history issue by now. For the connoisseur,
"better" is only one viewpoint of many :o)

Sargon V was the last chess software product made by the Spracklens
AFAIK (I think their Saitek SPARC chess program was made a little later,
but this was for a board computer). That's why Sargon V remains
interesting for collectors etc.; the Spracklens were important and
successful pioneers of computer chess, making many programs for Fidelity
chess computers too. Important to know: Sargon V needs *expanded memory*
to be able to use "up to" 2 MB hash tables. (I wonder if any newer users
will care for that, or even now what expanded memory "was"... but I keep
mentioning it anyway. As long as Sargon V is mentioned somewhere. The
info gets lost with the manual...)

Some examples of Sargon V's play can be seen at my Replay Zone (Mike's
Oldies II):

http://meineseite.i-one.at/PermanentBrain/replay/repzone.htm

Tournament report (in german language):

http://meineseite.i-one.at/PermanentBrain/oldies2/oldies2a.htm

Regards,
M.Scheidl

JCormier

Jun 2, 2001, 10:27:36 AM6/2/01
Hello,

I love a mixed bag of answers... Thank you all for the info.

--

MBW

Joe Moore

Jun 2, 2001, 11:00:27 AM6/2/01

Mike S. <Michael...@lion.cc> wrote in message

> "Joe Moore" <jv2080...@yahoo.com> schrieb:
>
> > anymore, I use Chessmaster 6000. What's so special about it? Sargon 5.
> > Chessmaster appears to be better.
>
> It's more a computer chess history issue by now. For the connoisseur,
> "better" is only one viewpoint of many :o)

Hey hey hey, yes I meant, *for me and my use*. <grin>

Hmmm, I wonder what it would go for on Ebay?

Mogath3

Jun 2, 2001, 11:52:38 AM6/2/01
>It is commercial software, not freeware:
>
>http://www.mobygames.com/game_group/sheet/gameGroupId,191/

When you click on the "buy it now" it says the item cannot be found. The guy is
asking for SARGON V. It's not like he's asking for Shredder, c'mon. Heheh! Even
if he was and I had it, I'd send it. But then I guess that makes me a bad guy.
Heheh! Well, call me what you will. By the way, anyone interested, I have Rebel
Tiger II. I'd like to find Fritz 4 or Fritz 5.16. Willing to trade.

Regards,
Jeff

Unknown

Jun 2, 2001, 5:47:57 PM6/2/01
> How many versions of Sargon chess for PC beyond III? (Sargon III, IV etc
> ...) And where to download them if they still exist?

I am not sure if it's legit or not, but one place where you can find it is
http://21ct.gooddays.org/sargon5.html

You can download Sargon V there.

Olivier Scalbert

Jun 5, 2001, 4:14:45 PM6/5/01
JCormier wrote:

On fast hardware, Sargon is far from ridiculous. It is not always easy for
recent medium programs to beat it (except the max depth limitation). I
always wonder why the Spracklens have stopped programming chess! Any info on
that subject ?

Olivier (software archeolog ;-))

Mogath3

Jun 5, 2001, 7:56:56 PM6/5/01
>On fast hardware, Sargon is far from ridiculous. It is not always easy for
>recent medium programs to beat it (except the max depth limitation). I
>always wonder why the Spracklens have stopped programming chess! Any info on
>that subject ?

I always wanted to know that myself. I love those old games. Sargon II & III
were what I cut my computer chess teeth on. Then I got a Fidelity Excellence. I
just recently found Sargon 5 and I'm about to start a match against it. Playing
a 30 minute per side game. I've already played to and both were draws. I
wouldn't mind knowing the rating of that program.

Regards,
Jeff

Mike S.

Jun 6, 2001, 2:31:08 PM6/6/01
"Mogath3" <mog...@aol.com> schrieb:

> >On fast hardware, Sargon is far from ridiculous. (...) I always

wonder
> >why the Spracklens have stopped programming chess! Any info on
> >that subject ?
>

> I always wanted to know that myself. I love those old games. (...)

The question appears periodically. They are reported to have been
divorced a long time ago... their last chess products were Sargon V and
the Saitek Sparc program.

I think Sargon V is about as strong as Chessmaster 3000 or Fritz 1
(one). I found an old SSDF list among my papers, dated June 1998, where
Fritz 1 at 486/33 has 2041 elo, and Chessmaster 3000 at 386/25-33 (!)
has 1932 elo. Doubling the hardware speed adds approx. 60...75 elo each
(this value is very discussable :o), if you want to calculate a rough
estimation for your machines...

Regards,
M.Scheidl

Olivier Scalbert

Jun 6, 2001, 1:36:24 PM6/6/01
"Mike S." wrote:

Oh bad news .... :-(

If you are interested in chess programming, many years ago (1985 ?) I
found a book on Sargon (A chess program or something like that), written
by Dan and Kathe Spracklen. If I remember, the complete code of Sargon is
inside. The code was for Z80, but with special mnemonics ...

Small is beautifull

Olivier