Anyone want to repesent Rajah at the WMCCC?

Valavan Manohararajah

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

Is there anyone out there interested in representing the Rajah
chess program at the World Micro Computer Chess Championships
(WMCCC) ? I cannot attend the event due to school :(

Here are some details of the dates of the WMCCC:

Saturday October 25th:
Arrive in Paris for set up and testing of computers.

Sunday October 26th:
Opening ceremony, including registration and rules approval
meeting followed by the first round.

Tournament Director: Jaap van den Herik

Sunday November 2nd:
Last round of main event.

Monday November 3rd:
Official speed Microcomputer World Chess Championship and Gala
Event followed by closing ceremony.

Thanks,

Valavan Manohararajah

Martin Borriss

Aug 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/15/97

In article <33F379DF...@ecf.toronto.edu>,

Valavan Manohararajah <man...@ecf.toronto.edu> writes:
>Here are some details of the dates of the WMCCC:
>
>Saturday October 25th:
>Arrive in Paris for set up and testing of computers.
>
>Sunday October 26th:
>Opening ceremony, including registration and rules approval
>meeting followed by the first round.
>
>Tournament Director: Jaap van den Herik
>
>Sunday November 2nd:
>Last round of main event.
>
>Monday November 3rd:
>Official speed Microcomputer World Chess Championship and Gala
>Event followed by closing ceremony.

Is there a web site or something? Some information on the WMCCC/registration
(hoho) online? ;)

Martin

--
Martin....@inf.tu-dresden.de
.

Valavan Manohararajah

Aug 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/15/97

Martin Borriss wrote:

Refer to the following web site for more info on the '97 WMCCC:

"http://www.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/~icca/"

Cheers,

Valavan Manohararajah

Tom King

Aug 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/16/97

In article <33F499D6...@ecf.toronto.edu>, Valavan Manohararajah

Shame.

Shame that you can't make it yourself. The more programmers representing
their own programs, the better. As a chess programmer, I find it's more
fun to have your program play another program, when the guy opposite is
the programmer. Thinking back to Paderborn and Jakarta, all the games I
was *really* interested in were the ones where the opponent was being
operated by the programmer.

Anyway, I'm sure you have your reasons for not attending. All this is
not a dig. All the best for your program at Paris.

--
Tom King

Robert Hyatt

Aug 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/16/97

Tom King (t...@hatbulb.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: Shame.

: Shame that you can't make it yourself. The more programmers representing
: their own programs, the better. As a chess programmer, I find it's more
: fun to have your program play another program, when the guy opposite is
: the programmer. Thinking back to Paderborn and Jakarta, all the games I
: was *really* interested in were the ones where the opponent was being
: operated by the programmer.

: Anyway, I'm sure you have your reasons for not attending. All this is
: not a dig. All the best for your program at Paris.

: --
: Tom King

I suspect he has the same problem as a student that I have as a faculty
member here: two weeks is nearly impossible to miss in the middle of a
term without (in my case) seriously cheating students of what they paid
to get, namely an operating system course (or whatever fits) taught
by me on the advertised class schedule. It would be easier for Manohar to
simply cut out and miss two weeks, but then he would be cheating himself
rather than others. Too bad it is not later during the Christmas break
over here, or earlier during the Summer...

Rolf Tueschen

Aug 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/16/97

hy...@crafty.cis.uab.edu (Robert Hyatt) wrote:

>Tom King (t...@hatbulb.demon.co.uk) wrote:

>: Shame.

>: --
>: Tom King

Bob, don't take me wrong, but I thought about this for twenty years now.
And finally I ask you this question.

Why do you think that your summer and your vacations were everywhere the
same? Think about Australia for instance. What I want to criticise is
your, the ICCA one's, everyone's navel show, completely losing the
complete chess community out of view.

Hey, New Zealand, can you hear me????

Australia???

China??

Japan?

No participants from there?

See, Bob?

We're not at all really a world wide group. Even for Europe we don't
here much of Italy, Greece, Russia and so on.

Robert Hyatt

Aug 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/17/97

Rolf Tueschen (TUESCHEN.MEDIZ...@t-online.de) wrote:
: hy...@crafty.cis.uab.edu (Robert Hyatt) wrote:

: >Tom King (t...@hatbulb.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: >: Shame.

: >: --
: >: Tom King

: Australia???

: China??

: Japan?

: No participants from there?

: See, Bob?

Good point of course. However, there are three classes of computer
chess programs/programmers:

1. commercial. They can go to whatever they want, whenever they want,
because it is a good P/R mechanism to participate (if they do well.)

2. Academic. This covers the majority of the non-commercial cases,
work being done at universities. Fortunately, most universities operate
on the same sort of "calendar" particularly Europe and the US. Most start
new terms in September, and end in late November or early December.

3. the rest.

I'm speaking from the perspective of case 2 above, of course. However,
Japan has a calendar similar to everyone else, for the reason of transfer
students and so forth. "Summer" is a generic term that fits most schools
I know of... That block of time outside the normal school-year. :)

However, the point of my post still holds. That is why *I* can't go. And
why Manohar *won't* go. 2 weeks is a long time. If I could simply take a
2 week vacation, I'd do it. But it is impossible in the middle of the term.