Change in Saitek Programming

Jerome Tarshis #458 @11554

Nov 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/14/96

0R 36 11/14 02:55 WWIVnet 11579->11555
0R 36 11/14 01:03 WWIVnet 11554->11579
0R 36 11/14 01:49 WWIVnet ->11554
It seems to me that in recent years Saitek chess computers have had as
their principal programmer Frans Morsch, otherwise known as the
programmer of Fritz. In style this is said to mean very rapid searches,
with rudimentary positional and endgame knowledge. Chess knowledge is in
general subordinated to tactical strength.

What has become of Julio Kaplan and the programming philosophy seen
in early SciSys (later Saitek) chess computers? The Turbostar series and
other SciSys products of yesteryear were notable for chess knowledge and
a relatively human-like style rather than formidable look-ahead.

Has Kaplan changed his mind about what kind of chess computer the
world needs? Is he no longer in charge of Saitek's programming, as he
once was? Unless I am mistaken, Saitek now owns the manufacturer of
Mephisto computers, and it is evident that Saitek produces the computers
sold under the Radio Shack label. May we expect that almost all
dedicated chess computers will reflect the philosophy of Frans Morsch
before very long?

About ten years ago Frederic Friedel, reviewing the Turbostar 432 in
Computer-Schach und Spiele, wrote that it had a 1.d4 style of play and
was therefore congenial to him, a 1.d4 player, by contrast with the more
typical chess computer program, which was optimized for the kind of open
positions that often follow 1.e4.

If the carbon-based Kasparov revives the Scotch Game and the Evans
Gambit, one should perhaps accept that silicon-based Kasparovs (as
Saitek calls its line) are more tactical in style than their predecessors
in the same series. But how did the change take place in the computer
programs?

--Jerome Tarshis
(Jerome_...@sfbayguardian.com)