USCF Chess Program

Clyde Nakamura

Nov 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/22/97

I saw an ad in the latest issue of Inside Chess about the
new PC chess program called "USCF Chess". I then
checked the Interplay web site at www.interplay.com
but could find no information on how strong the program
is or what chess engine is being used. Does anyone
have any information on how strong the program is
and what chess engine is being used?

skip

Nov 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/22/97

Afraid I can't help you there. But I confess to placing an 'early' order
for the program (egad). I like the idea of getting a rating (hopefully
more or less comparable to an actual USCF rating??).
I have numerous chess programs, but I find it difficult to take them
seriously unless I have something to play for (ie: improving my rating).
I like PowerChess and it's rating system (where it automatically adjusts
itself to your play), but it has a couple drawbacks in my view-
1) Limited response to a given opening (at leas for black, every time I
play the Sicilian, it responds with 2:C3 (-every time-).
2) It lets me cheat. Despite my best intentions to not, I sometimes get
frustrated with a dumb move I make, and hit the reset button. (EGAD, I
DON'T DESERVE TO LIVE!!).

Extreme Chess is also good. It's main advantage over PowerChess is that
it doesn't allow the [reset button] trick, so I tend to take games with
it more seriously.
It's main drawback in my view is a lack of automatic adjustment to my
playing strength (and it's inability to avoid a trap in the Colle
System, at least on the level that I play at).

I am looking forward to see if USCF Chess is the perfect program for me.
:) (blah blah blah)

--
To respond via e-mail replace:
name = [skipt], and the part after the @ is [ix.netcom.com]

Komputer Korner

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

W Chess or some version thereof but as to strength no one knows, but all
Dave Kittinger programs are strong.
--
- -
Komputer Korner

The inkompetent komputer

If you see a 1 in my email address, take it out before replying.
Please do not email both me and the r.g.c.c. at the same time. I read all
the postings on r.g.c.c.

Clyde Nakamura <evi...@gte.net> wrote in article
<657d1v$gc$1...@gte1.gte.net>...

da...@taic.net

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

skip <eart...@PlanetEarth.com> wrote:

: Afraid I can't help you there. But I confess to placing an 'early' order

: for the program (egad). I like the idea of getting a rating (hopefully
: more or less comparable to an actual USCF rating??).

There you go. Another example of a screw-up by USCF.

Most of these people who buy this program are buying to see what
their "real USCF" rating would be, and are probably *not* going to go on
and play in tournaments after that, for $40 a year. Once they get the
program, they will keep playing the program, and playing on the internet,
and whatever, and keep trying to get a higher "real USCF" rating from the
program.

The USCF has managed to trade on the VERY LAST unique service they
had, for a few shekels from the manufacturer of this program.

I predict that in 10-15 years, the USCF will be almost down to its
Life Members, issuing a very skimpy several page brochure to satisfy its
legal obligation to Life Members, and then quietly go out of business.

skip

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

da...@taic.net wrote:

[doom and gloom snipped]

> I predict that in 10-15 years, the USCF will be almost down to its
> Life Members, issuing a very skimpy several page brochure to satisfy its
> legal obligation to Life Members, and then quietly go out of business.

Gee.. I hope not. I have been an no-and-off member of USCF for oh, 20
years or so. I never once played in an official event. I guess I would
call myself a Closet Chess Player. I mainly subscribe because I like
getting the magazine and like to buy stuff from their catalog. So, being
able to get an "official" rating from this program would not effect my
decision to be a member or not.

Skip

Clyde Nakamura

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

Thanks for the info. USCF Chess is one of the chess programs I have
thought of purchasing. The others are Fritz5, Rebel9 and Schredder.
-------------
On 23 Nov 1997 03:56:01 EST, "Komputer Korner" <kor...@netcom.ca>

Clyde Nakamura

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

Greetings Skip! Thanks for the info. I just purchased the Genius5
upgrade (this one is very strong!) and the MChessPro v6. I am
also on the rec.games.chess.analysis newsgroups and the
rec.games.chess.misc newsgroups.
------------
On Sat, 22 Nov 1997 13:47:04 -0800, skip <eart...@PlanetEarth.com>
wrote:

>Afraid I can't help you there. But I confess to placing an 'early' order
>for the program (egad). I like the idea of getting a rating (hopefully
>more or less comparable to an actual USCF rating??).

> I have numerous chess programs, but I find it difficult to take them
>seriously unless I have something to play for (ie: improving my rating).
>I like PowerChess and it's rating system (where it automatically adjusts
>itself to your play), but it has a couple drawbacks in my view-
>1) Limited response to a given opening (at leas for black, every time I
>play the Sicilian, it responds with 2:C3 (-every time-).
>2) It lets me cheat. Despite my best intentions to not, I sometimes get
>frustrated with a dumb move I make, and hit the reset button. (EGAD, I
>DON'T DESERVE TO LIVE!!).
>
>Extreme Chess is also good. It's main advantage over PowerChess is that
>it doesn't allow the [reset button] trick, so I tend to take games with
>it more seriously.
> It's main drawback in my view is a lack of automatic adjustment to my
>playing strength (and it's inability to avoid a trap in the Colle
>System, at least on the level that I play at).
>
>I am looking forward to see if USCF Chess is the perfect program for me.
>:) (blah blah blah)

Don Getkey

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

In article <01bcf7ed$2b7307c0$555ab5cf@ALAN>, "Komputer Korner"
<kor...@netcom.ca> writes:

>W Chess or some version thereof but as to strength no one knows, but all
Dave
>Kittinger programs are strong.
--
- -
Komputer Korner

The inkompetent
>komputer

I wonder how this program will be used so that a "standard" is fixed e.g., do
you run it on a P90 or P300? Does it have some kind of internal rating
adjustment settings that calibrate for the different CPU speeds used?

For that matter, what would/might happen, if/when someone plays their computer
chess program e.g., Crafty, against this USCF ratings program? Are we not one
step closer to establishing official OTB ratings for every chess program? Will
there soon be (unforeseen by the USCF) a new rival "USCF Computer Ratings
List", to the SSDF?

yours in chess,
Don

Ramsey MN USA

Tracy Miller

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97
to Don Getkey

Don Getkey wrote:

You bring up an excellent idea, Don. I hope that all computer chess
vendors will agree to let their programs be rated by the USCF program.
Perhaps a committee can be set up, similar to the SSDF, where members
play computer vs. computer using separate computers to insure no RAM or
processor conflicts. There will probably be a lot of vendors who will
not agree to this type of objective testing, probably out of fear of
published ratings negatively affecting sales. But in my opinion, this
would be a major step past what we have now (as far as USCF ratings
go). About the only thing you ever see now is an occasional "action
rated 2230" or some such thing. Anyone who likes this idea please
contact me and I will try to set up such a committee.