USCF Chess (the program)

Prowler

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

I had actually considered purchasing USCF Chess, however I was fortunate
enough to speek with someone who owned it, and he said it was a disaster.
In addition to numerous annoyances, he claimed that:

You cannot takeback moves (or in his words "its damn near imposible
unless your mouse finger is greased lighning")

The chess engine misses basic mate solving problems

The game actually CHEATS (this one I'm having trouble beleiving)

The clock settings are not fully controllable

Does the program really suck that hard? If so, how in the heck did the
USCF get suckered into condoning it and actually allow its name to be
plastered all over the box?

--

_Homer_Simpson_...@yahoo.com

REMOVE the hatesdoughnuts to e-mail but leave the underlines!

mmmmmmmmmmm....doughnuts

Izya Yagolnitser

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98

Prowler wrote:

> I had actually considered purchasing USCF Chess, however I was fortunate
> enough to speek with someone who owned it, and he said it was a disaster.
> In addition to numerous annoyances, he claimed that:
>
> You cannot takeback moves (or in his words "its damn near imposible
> unless your mouse finger is greased lighning")

True, because you usually want to take back a move after the program played
its reply. So you first have to take back that reply, which, as soon as you
do it, it plays again, before you can even start taking back your half move.

> The chess engine misses basic mate solving problems
>
> The game actually CHEATS (this one I'm having trouble beleiving)

I am still not able to play a single rated game against it because of the bug
with adding a player, but in a casual game the game is weaker than Fritz or
Chessmaster.

> The clock settings are not fully controllable
>
> Does the program really suck that hard? If so, how in the heck did the
> USCF get suckered into condoning it and actually allow its name to be
> plastered all over the box?

They got payed by Interplay to do it. Check out last few Chess Life magazines
- Interplay is all over it. Even our own national US Champions are called
"Interplay champions", what a shame!