reverse engineering

NoKetch

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00
I'm looking for a program that will take a given position and find a legal
sequence of moves from the starting position to the given position, if that
makes any sense. :) Is there a program that will do this, preferably freeware.
Thanks.

Dave

Joost de Heer

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00
nok...@aol.com (NoKetch) writes:

:I'm looking for a program that will take a given position and find a legal

:sequence of moves from the starting position to the given position, if that
:makes any sense. :) Is there a program that will do this, preferably freeware.
:Thanks.

Natch: http://zoupla.appligos.com/wassong/index.html
This program is written to solve exact proofgames, and may not be very suitable
to give "game-like" results though.

Joost
--
I am your murdering Angel of Death [Infernal Chorus]
I will despise you until your last breath [ iQ ]

NoKetch

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00

>:I'm looking for a program that will take a given position and find a legal
>:sequence of moves from the starting position to the given position, if that
>:makes any sense. :) Is there a program that will do this, preferably
>freeware.
>:Thanks.
>
>Natch: http://zoupla.appligos.com/wassong/index.html
>This program is written to solve exact proofgames, and may not be very
>suitable
>to give "game-like" results though.
>
>Joost

Thanks, but Natch requires you to enter the number of moves in the solution,
and there is no way to know that from an epd position.

Dave

Bookup

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00

>I'm looking for a program that will take a given position and find a legal
>sequence of moves from the starting position to the given position, if that
>makes any sense. :) Is there a program that will do this, preferably
>freeware.
>Thanks.
>
>Dave

Hey Dave,

MasterChess 2000 and the new Bookup 2000 Pro will do this. (Bookup uses
MasterChess to generate all possible move orders in game searches.)

Neither are free however.

Mike Leahy
http://www.bookup.com

albert...@my-deja.com

Jun 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/18/00
In article <20000616181309...@ng-md1.aol.com>,

I'm intrigued. You mean if I give it any two positions, it will tell me
how many legal move sequences (and their moves) it takes to get from
position 1 to position 2? Does it only give the first solution (if any)
or does it produce all possible sequences. This is quite different from
searching for the link between two opening positions in a tree. Here,
according to what Dave is requesting, the program would have to
actually calculate them. Did you misunderstand, or does it really do
that? It must be difficult to build a search program to do that.

Albert Silver

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Heiner Marxen

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
In article <20000616115446...@ng-md1.aol.com>,

NoKetch <nok...@aol.com> wrote:
>I'm looking for a program that will take a given position and find a legal
>sequence of moves from the starting position to the given position, if that
>makes any sense. :) Is there a program that will do this, preferably freeware.
>Thanks.
>
>Dave

Popeye has a command for this. It is freely available (C sources):

http://www.leo.org/pub/rec/games/popeye/index.html

I have not used Popeye for this purpuse, so I cannot comment
its quality or speed.
--
Heiner Marxen hei...@drb.insel.de http://www.drb.insel.de/~heiner/

Joost de Heer

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
hei...@DrB.Insel.DE (Heiner Marxen) writes:

>Popeye has a command for this. It is freely available (C sources):

> http://www.leo.org/pub/rec/games/popeye/index.html

>I have not used Popeye for this purpuse, so I cannot comment
>its quality or speed.

Speed is -very- slow. The only kind of proofgames it's good at it proofgames
with lots of captures (The Wilts/Geissler proofgames are solved within a few
mins for instance)

Joost

PS: For the people who don't know the W/G proofgames: They researched all the
possible proofgames of 33 halfmoves ending with only 3 men. One example:
B3k3/8/8/8/8/8/3K4/8 Proofgame in 16.5 moves
1. Nc3 d5 2. Nxd5 Bf5 3. Nxe7 Bxc2 4. Nxg8 Rxg8 5. a3 Bxa3 6. Qxc2 Bxb2 7.
Qxc7 Bxc1 8. Qxb8 Qxb8 9. Rxa7 Qxh2 10. Rxb7 Qxg1 11. Rxh7 Qxg2 12. Rxg7
Rxg7 13. Rxf7 Rxf7 14. Bxg2 Rxf2 15. Bxa8 Rxe2 16. Kxe2 Bxd2 17. Kxd2

John A. Sidles

Jun 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/21/00
>NoKetch <nok...@aol.com> wrote:
>>I'm looking for a program that will take a given position and find a legal
>>sequence of moves from the starting position to the given position, if that
>>makes any sense. :) Is there a program that will do this, preferably freeware.
>>Thanks.
>>Dave

See "Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes" by the
mathematician Raymond Smullyan (sp?). Very enjoyable
account of "retrograde analysis", which is what you
are talking about.