Chess companion

Quentin Grady

May 24, 2009, 10:39:10 PM5/24/09
G'day G'day Folks,

My oncologist has broken the news to me that there are no more drugs
to try. At the moment my condition is stable but I must prepare for
going into a hospice. What I'm looking for is chess computer software
that I can have as a companion. It must be stable and easy to install
as it will be difficult for me to get computer support. I used to like
playing exciting chess with gambit lines, things like the Scotch
gambit. It is not a time when I'd be looking for boring play.

I bought a copy of kchess some time ago and like that but I'd like to
have another chess program so I can watch them compete as well as
playing either of them.

Also I love solving tactical puzzles that could arise from real games.
Weird as it may seem I'd like to improve my chess playing ability. I
got a kick out of a chess book that had pages and pages of problems
based on a particular tactic say, skewers.

Is there a chess program that generates lots of puzzles like this? It
is important to keep the brain active as it diverts attention from
pain etc.

Best wishes,
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

Quentin Grady

May 24, 2009, 10:51:13 PM5/24/09
On Mon, 25 May 2009 14:39:10 +1200, Quentin Grady
<que...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

The software must run on Windows XP. Pentium.

Remember the key features,

Stable. I'll be depending on this software.

Easy to install and run. Support is difficult to get.

I'd prefer exciting lines rather than boring drawish ones.

Some dialogue such as position evaluation. I love looking at analysis.
I like the voice in kchess. It helps with loneliness.

Options to play the computer or analyze positions.

Puzzle generation. I need mental activity to keep me going.

john...@gmail.com

May 27, 2009, 2:32:43 AM5/27/09
On May 24, 10:51 pm, Quentin Grady <quen...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 May 2009 14:39:10 +1200, Quentin Grady

Quentin:

Sorry about the bad news. One of the best and well known computer
tactics programs is CT-art 3.0. I have it and it's awesome! It's
affordabe too. If I had the funds right now I would get you a
copy....it's available online at most chess stores and Amazon.

I wish you well..

John

Quentin Grady

May 27, 2009, 4:59:54 AM5/27/09
On Tue, 26 May 2009 23:32:43 -0700 (PDT), john...@gmail.com wrote:

>Quentin:
>
>Sorry about the bad news.

It is bad news in one sense though by knowing I've been able to put
things in order.

> One of the best and well known computer
>tactics programs is CT-art 3.0.

You say tactics. I've read chess is 90+ % tactics so definitely would
like to spend time on them. By being a tactics program does this mean
it differs from the engines that simply play chess ie the sort of
thing that goes into the winboard of a GUI like ECTool?

>I have it and it's awesome! It's
>affordabe too. If I had the funds right now I would get you a
>copy....it's available online at most chess stores and Amazon.

Maybe in time I'll find a way to afford it. You know its funny that
your finding it awesome means more than it being rated as the most
powerful chess engine. Put simply it is how humans find it that matter
more to me at this time.

>I wish you well..
>John

Thank you John, With all the good wishes combined I may yet prove the
oncologists wrong again. Why not? It is the way to go.

Quentin Grady

May 31, 2009, 5:22:55 AM5/31/09
On Tue, 26 May 2009 23:32:43 -0700 (PDT), john...@gmail.com wrote:

>Quentin:
>
>Sorry about the bad news. One of the best and well known computer
>tactics programs is CT-art 3.0. I have it and it's awesome! It's
>affordabe too. If I had the funds right now I would get you a
>copy....it's available online at most chess stores and Amazon.
>
>I wish you well..

WOW.

Hi John, You are obviously very impressed with CT-art 3.0
I'll look in Amazon and see if there is some way to spring for it.

Thanks for showing your enthusiasm for it. Often its whether people
like a program that matters more than how many tournaments it has won.
It might after all be difficult to use. Things like that.

Best wishes.