Waxman Pocket Chess v1.3w

Fred

May 11, 2002, 11:23:31 AM5/11/02
Greetings

Not really a question, just an observation.

I have this little chess program, a single file waxman.exe. that is only 126
kb (16 bit obviously). It seems this program plays somewhere around the
2000 ELO level at least for faster games. It has time controls, an analysis
mode, ability to edit the position, reverse colors, save games, and even a
limited opening library. Incredible that so much can be jammed into 126 kb.
My compliments to the programmer, this is truly a masterpiece IMO.

Regards,
Fred.

Q...@fide.org

May 11, 2002, 11:57:45 AM5/11/02
Yes i know the program. Its very user freindly, very good playing and very smal
http://webhome.globalserve.net/chess/waxman.zip

co

May 11, 2002, 5:07:59 PM5/11/02

It is also possible the small size is due to being written using VB and
most of the code resides in DLLs.

"Fred" <f...@abc.xyz> wrote

ChessBoa

May 11, 2002, 6:37:39 PM5/11/02
When you say pocket chess program, are you referring to it being able to
play on a handheld computer ??

"Fred" <f...@abc.xyz> wrote in message

Fred

May 11, 2002, 7:08:49 PM5/11/02

"co" <NcraigO_...@AhotmailM.com> wrote in message

> It is also possible the small size is due to being written using VB
and
> most of the code resides in DLLs.

Actually this program was written back in 1993. Which makes it 16-bit code.
There are no dlls with this, just the one file which I can pop onto a
diskette and run on any computer. Back then, RAM was still very expensive,
so programmers had to write clean efficient code.

Fred

May 11, 2002, 7:10:34 PM5/11/02

"ChessBoa" <chessbo...@anonymous.to> wrote in message

> When you say pocket chess program, are you referring to it being able to
> play on a handheld computer ??

No, Pocket chess is just the name the programmer gave to the program I
guess. It is a Window 3.1 program that also runs on Windows 95/98/NT

Paul Onstad

May 12, 2002, 3:13:53 AM5/12/02
Fred wrote:

> I have this little chess program, a single file waxman.exe. that is only 126
> kb (16 bit obviously). It seems this program plays somewhere around the
> 2000 ELO level at least for faster games. It has time controls, an analysis
> mode, ability to edit the position, reverse colors, save games, and even a
> limited opening library. Incredible that so much can be jammed into 126 kb.
> My compliments to the programmer, this is truly a masterpiece IMO.

Waxman is a great little program and one I interfaced with in some of my
earlier software but it doesn't play anywhere close to 2000. Still, it
certainly was well-programmed.

..Done by some fellow out of Chicago, I believe. I still use my copy from
time to time.

-Paul