Othello Match & Call for Papers

Ingo Althoefer

Mar 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/24/97

The informations below may be interesting also for many rgcc readers.
Ingo Althoefer.

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 14:31:47 -0500
From: Michael Buro <m...@research.nj.nec.com>
Subject: Othello Match & Call for Papers

Dear Colleague,

please find attached the announcement of the first serious
human vs. machine Othello match ever as well as a call for papers for a
workshop on game-tree search. Feel free to forward this message to
anybody you know who might also be interested in these events.

Best regards.
--
Michael Buro m...@research.nj.nec.com
NEC Research Institute

O/_______________________________________________________________\O
O\ /O

* *
* The Othello Match of the Year: *
* *
* Takeshi Murakami vs. Logistello *
* *
* Aug. 4-7, 1997, NECI, Princeton NJ *
* *
will take place in Princeton (NJ), along with a scientific workshop on
game-tree search (see below) from August 4th through 7th this
year. Tournament director will be David Parsons of New York City.

We plan to report the long timed games (2h per player) live on the
Internet Othello Server (telnet external.nj.nec.com 5000) and to
prepare a room for spectators. However, because the seating is
limited, we must ask for an a priori registration. Please let me know
if you are interested in coming to Princeton to watch the games and/or
attend the workshop.

About the players:

Mr. Murakami (33) is a very active Othello player with great
international experience. In 1987 he placed second in the annual
all-Japan Championships, considered to be the strongest human Othello
tournament. He won this tournament in 1996 which qualified him for
taking part in the 1996 World-Championships. Here he showed again a
strong performance and became World-Champion.

Logistello is one of today's best Othello programs. It is written in C
and based on novel evaluation-, learning- and game-tree search
techniques which I have investigated in my Ph.D. thesis and while
working for NECI. During the last five years it has been improved in
various ways and placed first 16 times and second five times in the 22
international Othello tournaments it has played so far.

---
Michael Buro Tel: +1 (609) 951-2703
NEC Research Institute Fax: +1 (609) 951-2482
4 Independence Way, m...@research.nj.nec.com
Princeton NJ 08540 USA http://www.neci.nj.nec.com/homepages/mic/mic.html

* *
* Call for Papers *
* *
* Workshop on Computer Games *
* entitled *
* *
* "Game-Tree Search in the Past, Today, *
* and in the Future" *
* *
* Aug. 5, 1997, NECI, Princeton NJ *
* *

Game programs play an important role as test vehicles for aritificial
intelligence research. The focus of this workshop is the evolution of
game-tree search techniques. Contributions on current research topics
including selective search, parallelization, and the construction of
evaluation functions are welcome as well as historical surveys and
visionary outlooks. The workshop will be organized as a mixture of
paper presentations, program demonstrations, and invited talks.

Timetable for Paper Submission
------------------------------

June 2, 1997 Deadline for Paper Submission
July 11, 1997 Acceptance Notification will be sent to
the principal author
July 18, 1997 Deadline for receipt of final version

Format
------

Each submission must include a cover page and a copy of the complete
manuscript written in English, not to exceed 10 pages. The cover page
should include:

- Name(s), affiliation(s), complete address(es), phone- & fax-number,
e-mail for the principal author, and the title of the paper.
- Area(s) that relates to your paper with some key words.
- Title and abstract.

It is encouraged to use the IJCAI-97 LaTeX style, available from
http://ijcai.org/ijcai-97 or
http://www.neci.nj.nec.com/homepages/mic/ijcai97.sty

Review Process and Paper Submissions
------------------------------------

Papers will be refereed. Selected papers will be scheduled for
presentation and will be printed in the proceedings. Authors of
accepted papers, or their representatives, are expected to present
their papers at the workshop.

Send papers to:

Michael Buro, Workshop co-chair
NEC Research Institute
4 Independence Way,
Princeton NJ 08540 USA

Tel: +1 (609) 951-2703
Fax: +1 (609) 951-2482
m...@research.nj.nec.com
http://www.neci.nj.nec.com/homepages/mic/mic.html

The latest information about the Othello match and the workshop is
available on the following web-page:

http://www.neci.nj.nec.com/homepages/mic/event.html