Aegon - Final Scores after round 6

Eric L Hallsworth

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
FINAL AEGON TOURNAMENT STANDINGS, AFTER ROUND 6
(Totals after 3 rounds, with round 4, 5 and 6 results added)
Name Score

Yasser Seirawan 3 1=4 1=5 1=6

John van der Wiel 3 1=4 1=5 .5=5.5
Rafael Vaganian 2.5 1=3.5 1=4.5 1=5.5
Jonathan Speelman 3 .5=3.5 1=4.5 .5=5

Roberto Cifuentes Parada 3 1=4 .5=4.5 0=4.5
Rob Hartoch 3 .5=3.5 .5=4 .5=4.5
Erik Hoeksema 2.5 1=3.5 .5=4 .5=4.5
Larry Christiansen 2.5 0=2.5 1=3.5 1=4.5
Gert Ligterink 1.5 1=2.5 1=3.5 1=4.5
QUEST 3 .5=3.5 .5=4 .5=4.5
REBEL 7 2 1=3 .5=3.5 1=4.5
NOW 2.5 0=2.5 1=3.5 1=4.5
NIMZO 2.5 0=2.5 1=3.5 1=4.5
CAPTURE 1.5 1=2.5 1=3.5 1=4.5

Yona Kosashvili 2 1=3 1=4 0=4
David Bronstein 2 1=3 .5=3.5 .5=4
Gert Legemaat 2 1=3 0=3 1=4
Nico Kuyf 1.5 .5=2 1=3 1=4
REBEL AEGON 2.5 1=3.5 0=3.5 .5=4
KALLISTO 2 1=3 .5=3.5 .5=4
THE KING 2 .5=2.5 1=3.5 .5=4
MEPHISTO GENIUS 1.5 1=2.5 1=3.5 .5=4
HIARCS 1.5 .5=2 1=3 1=4
WCHESS 2.5 .5=3 0=3 1=4
TASC R30 2 0=2 1=3 1=4
MCHESS PRO 2 1=3 0=3 1=4
GENIUS 1 1=2 1=3 1=4
DIEP 1 1=2 1=3 1=4
ZARKOV 2.5 0=2.5 .5=3 1=4

Gert Jan de Boer 2.5 0=2.5 0=2.5 1=3.5
Gert Jan Ludden 1.5 1=2.5 0=2.5 1=3.5
Wim Wolthuis 1 .5=1.5 1=2.5 1=3.5
FRITZ 2.5 1=3.5 0=3.5 0=3.5
VIRTUAL CHESS 2 1=3 .5=3.5 0=3.5
ARTHUR2 CENTAUR 2 1=3 .5=3.5 0=3.5
SCHACH 3.0 2 .5=2.5 1=3.5 0=3.5
NIGHTMARE N 1.5 1=2.5 1=3.5 0=3.5
DREIHIRN 2.5 0=2.5 .5=3 .5=3.5
CHESSICA 2.5 0=2.5 0=2.5 1=3.5
FRENCHESS 1.5 1=2.5 0=2.5 1=3.5
DARK THOUGHT 2 0=2 .5=2.5 1=3.5
NIGHTMARE D 1.5 .5=2 .5=2.5 1=3.5
SAITEK BRUTE FORCE 2 0=2 .5=2.5 1=3.5
CHESS SYSTEM TAL 1.5 .5=2 .5=2.5 1=3.5
DOCTOR X 1 .5=1.5 1=2.5 1=3.5

Gunther Loewenthal 2 .5=2.5 .5=3 0=3
Dieter Steinwender 1.5 1=2.5 .5=3 0=3
Ad van den Berg 1 .5=1.5 1=2.5 .5=3
Paul Bierenbroodspot 1.5 0=1.5 .5=2 1=3
TURNING POINT 2 1=3 0=3 0=3
CENTAUR 2 0=2 1=3 0=3
SHREDDER 2 0=2 .5=2.5 .5=3
ISICHESS 1.5 0=1.5 1=2.5 .5=3
CHEIRON 1.5 .5=2 0=2 1=3
COMET 1.5 .5=2 0=2 1=3

Sofia Polgar 1.5 .5=2 .5=2.5 0=2.5
Hebert Perez Garcia 1.5 0=1.5 1=2.5 0=2.5
Jannes van der Wal 1.5 0=1.5 1=2.5 0=2.5
Hans Ree 1 .5=1.5 1=2.5 0=2.5
Paul Boersma 1.5 0=1.5 1=2.5 0=2.5
Jeroen Blokhuis 1.5 0=1.5 .5=2 .5=2.5
Jan Joost Lindner 1.5 0=1.5 .5=2 .5=2.5
Jos de Waard 1 .5=1.5 0=1.5 1=2.5
Matthias Feist 0.5 .5=1 .5=1.5 1=2.5
HITECH 2 .5=2.5 0=2.5 0=2.5
ANT 1.5 1=2.5 0=2.5 0=2.5
DIOGENES 1.5 .5=2 .5=2.5 0=2.5
MIRAGE 1.5 .5=2 0=2 .5=2.5
BREAK THROUGH II 1 0=1 1=2 .5=2.5
HECTOR 1 .5=1.5 0=1.5 1=2.5
NOVAG DIAMOND 0.5 0=.5 1=1.5 1=2.5

Michael Hoving 2 0=2 0=2 0=2
Henk Arnoldus 1.5 .5=2 0=2 0=2
Stefan Loeffler 1 1=2 0=2 0=2
Peter van Wermeskerken 1 .5=1.5 .5=2 0=2
Martin Voorn 1 0=1 1=2 0=2
Henny Maliangkay 1 0=1 1=2 0=2
Willem Hajenius 0 1=1 1=2 0=2
Piet Bakker 1 .5=1.5 0=1.5 .5=2
Peng Zhaoqin 0.5 1=1.5 0=1.5 .5=2
Lex Jongsma 1 0=1 0=1 1=2
Alexander Munninghoff 1 0=1 0=1 1=2
MEPHISTO BERLIN PRO 2 0=2 0=2 0=2
IMPAKT 0 .5=.5 1=1.5 .5=2
PANDIX 0.5 .5=1 .5=1.5 .5=2
BIONIC 0.5 .5=1 0=1 1=2

Corry Vreeken Bouwman 1 .5=1.5 0=1.5 0=1.5
Piet Geertsema 0.5 .5=1 .5=1.5 0=1.5
Bert Kieboom 0.5 .5=1 0=1 .5=1.5
GOLDBAR 1 .5=1.5 0=1.5 0=1.5
DRAGON 0.5 1=1.5 0=1.5 0=1.5

Nico Vromans 0.5 .5=1 0=1 0=1
Richard Oranje 0.5 0=.5 .5=1 0=1
Rien Goudart 0.5 0=.5 0=.5 .5=1
Henk de Kleynen 0.5 0=.5 0=.5 .5=1
SCHAAKMEESTER X 0 0=0 1=1 0=1
ANANSE 0 0=0 .5=.5 .5=1

Fre Hoogendoorn 0.5 0=.5 0=.5 0=.5
Ada van der Giessen 0 .5=.5 0=.5 0=.5
Henk Prins 0 0=0 .5=.5 0=.5

--
Best wishes :-) Eric
Eric Hallsworth

Chris Whittington

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
Eric L Hallsworth <Er...@elhchess.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> FINAL AEGON TOURNAMENT STANDINGS, AFTER ROUND 6
> (Totals after 3 rounds, with round 4, 5 and 6 results added)
> Name Score
>
> Yasser Seirawan 3 1=4 1=5 1=6
>
> John van der Wiel 3 1=4 1=5 .5=5.5
> Rafael Vaganian 2.5 1=3.5 1=4.5 1=5.5
> Jonathan Speelman 3 .5=3.5 1=4.5 .5=5
>
> Roberto Cifuentes Parada 3 1=4 .5=4.5 0=4.5
> Rob Hartoch 3 .5=3.5 .5=4 .5=4.5
> Erik Hoeksema 2.5 1=3.5 .5=4 .5=4.5
> Larry Christiansen 2.5 0=2.5 1=3.5 1=4.5
> Gert Ligterink 1.5 1=2.5 1=3.5 1=4.5
> QUEST 3 .5=3.5 .5=4 .5=4.5
> REBEL 7 2 1=3 .5=3.5 1=4.5
> NOW 2.5 0=2.5 1=3.5 1=4.5
> NIMZO 2.5 0=2.5 1=3.5 1=4.5
> CAPTURE 1.5 1=2.5 1=3.5 1=4.5

Me no understand. Was at AEGON at closing ceremony.

1st prize computer went to Frans Morsch for QUEST. NO others were
present on ther stand.

Puzzled (and had not been smoking that legal Dutch hasheesh) .... ?

Chris Whittington

Chris Whittington

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
Eric L Hallsworth <Er...@elhchess.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> FINAL AEGON TOURNAMENT STANDINGS, AFTER ROUND 6
> (Totals after 3 rounds, with round 4, 5 and 6 results added)
> Name Score
>

> ANANSE 0 0=0 .5=.5 .5=1

> Fre Hoogendoorn 0.5 0=.5 0=.5 0=.5
> Ada van der Giessen 0 .5=.5 0=.5 0=.5
> Henk Prins 0 0=0 .5=.5 0=.5

It happened first at AEGON.

ANANSE gets 0.5 pts !!!!!!

ANANSE not last !!!!!

Congratulations to Walter Bannerman !!!!

Eric L Hallsworth

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
In article <8298625...@cpsoft.demon.co.uk>
chr...@cpsoft.demon.co.uk "Chris Whittington" writes:

: >

:
: Me no understand. Was at AEGON at closing ceremony.

:
: 1st prize computer went to Frans Morsch for QUEST. NO others were
: present on ther stand.
:
: Puzzled (and had not been smoking that legal Dutch hasheesh) .... ?
:
: Chris Whittington

:
Hi Chris

The listing is 'just' the total scores gained by each player and computer,
which I worked out by going through all the .pgn files sent me and adding them
up. I was interested to know how they were all doing.

Performance ratings, tie-break splits between players and computers on the same
scores are not known to me, so the list is only 'ordered' by putting players
and computers finishing on the same score in the same 'block'. If folk at Aegon
had posted round-by-round scores, results, prize-giving info. etc I wouldn't
have bothered spending hours adding them up game-by-game, and then posting same
in case anyone else without www access was interested in how each program was
managing over the final rounds.

From your posting I gather that QUEST won the computer prize on tie-break!?

Incidentally was glad to see you got a last round win... 5 consecutive draws
for a program named 'tal' didn't seem right somehow - though that's *not* a
criticism.... aggressive play leading to queen sacs at move 10 can hardly be
called drawish! :-)

Chris Whittington

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
Eric L Hallsworth <Er...@elhchess.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Incidentally was glad to see you got a last round win... 5 consecutive draws
> for a program named 'tal' didn't seem right somehow - though that's *not* a
> criticism.... aggressive play leading to queen sacs at move 10 can hardly be
> called drawish! :-)
>

> --
> Best wishes :-) Eric
> Eric Hallsworth
> Computer Chess News Sheet, The Red House, 46 High Street,
> Wilburton, Cambs CB6 3RA, England. e-mail: er...@elhchess.demon.co.uk

Thanks, Chess System Tal got 3.5 out of 6, 1 pt behind the winning
program.
Yes it was made up mostly of draws, but as you point out, 2 (or 3, I
forget) were via our giving perpetual check.
Our human opponents did seem very happy with a draw result, so ...

Anyway. no losses, the fine queen sac on move 10, and 3.5 / 6,
we were quite pleased.

Best regards,

Chris Whittington

Mark Bijster

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96

>> FINAL AEGON TOURNAMENT STANDINGS, AFTER ROUND 6
>> (Totals after 3 rounds, with round 4, 5 and 6 results added)
>> Name Score
>>

>> NOW 2.5 0=2.5 1=3.5 1=4.5

Is this the shareware NOW 01 ?
Or is this an updated version (NOW01 states that a 386 version was on it's way)

(Good to play with mouse, terrible without one :-(

I've always been wandering about NOW's playing strenght, since all teh comment says:
'strong'

Greetings, Mark

--
Mark Bijster 'No-one is perfect in this unperfect world'
ma...@sci.kun.nl -Ziggy Marley-

DSMJL

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
(I hope this doesn't sound like an ad!)

I am the author of NOW. The version of NOW at the AEGON is not 0.1. I
think its up to 1.56 now (pun intended). Anyway, no offical version of
NOW has been released in several years. The new version is a great deal
stronger than the old version, mostly due to lots more chess knowledge.
Its still in PASCAL (slow but easier to program in for dimwits like me).

If anyone is interested in a newer version, they can reply to this email
address: mle...@netcom.com. If enough interest is expressed, I may be
willing to release a version via an ftp site (so few people registered the
old version!).

-->Mark Lefler

Martin Zentner

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
to ma...@sci.kun.nl
You can't compare that shareware version from years ago with a tournament
program of these days. All programs are under constand development and
I remember that Mark Leffler (at the WMCCC 93 in Munich) was surprised
to see, how many European's knew about that shareware version of NOW and
how few people actually sent money for registrating it :-)

I guess, that's why he didn't release a new (and definetely stronger)
version of his program. If you want to play against the new version
meet Mark at the Internet Chess Club and play against NowX, his latest
version.

- Martin Zentner