AEGON 1997 :-)))))

pit...@aol.com

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Hi all,

today I talked with the organizer of the Aegon - Tournament Cock de Corter by phone.

The event will be held on April 16 until April 23 in DEN HAGUE, Nederlands . No problems with the tournament ! :-))))))))))

Also in this year we will see strong human players against the "ROBOT" :o))) : Seirawan,Speelman, van der Wiel, Bronstein and perhaps GM Ulf Andersson. Maybe that GM Andersson with his fantastic positional playing style is the most dangerous opponent for all computers this year ?

Hope to see you all :-)))

-Peter

Robert Hyatt

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

pit...@aol.com wrote:
: Hi all,

: -Peter

I'd suspect Bronstein is much "worse"... :) He doesn't mind slugging it
out toe-to-toe, and generally seems to have lead hidden in his gloves as
well... :)

mclane

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

pit...@aol.com wrote:

>Hi all,

>today I talked with the organizer of the Aegon - Tournament Cock de Corter by phone.

>The event will be held on April 16 until April 23 in DEN HAGUE, Nederlands . No problems with the tournament ! :-))))))))))

>Also in this year we will see strong human players against the "ROBOT" :o))) : Seirawan,Speelman, van der Wiel, Bronstein and perhaps GM Ulf Andersson. Maybe that GM Andersson with his fantastic positional playing style is the most dangerous opponent for all computers this year ?

>Hope to see you all :-)))

>-Peter

Brilliant ! I hope this year my hotel will be better for DEN HAAG then
last years. I was together with one guy of the Dark Thought team.
No - it was not Gillgasch. I think if I would have been in one room he
would have made Gulasch out of me, or vice versa.

Last year the hotel room was HIGHER than the length was.

mclane

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

hy...@crafty.cis.uab.edu (Robert Hyatt) wrote:

>pit...@aol.com wrote:
>: Hi all,

>: today I talked with the organizer of the Aegon - Tournament Cock de Corter by phone.

>: The event will be held on April 16 until April 23 in DEN HAGUE, Nederlands . No problems with the tournament ! :-))))))))))

>: Also in this year we will see strong human players against the "ROBOT" :o))) : Seirawan,Speelman, van der Wiel, Bronstein and perhaps GM Ulf Andersson. Maybe that GM Andersson with his fantastic positional playing style is the most dangerous opponent for all computers this year ?

>: Hope to see you all :-)))

>: -Peter

>I'd suspect Bronstein is much "worse"... :) He doesn't mind slugging it
>out toe-to-toe, and generally seems to have lead hidden in his gloves as
>well... :)

Bronstein is very impressive to watch. He is in no way arrogant. He
sometimes walks arround the boards and talks to the players.
Unbelievable. He is NOT interested in WHO the players are. He always
looks IF THE POSITIONS ARE INTERESTING.

Unbelievable - and IMO best PR-work for (computer) chess !

Robert Hyatt

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

mclane (mcl...@prima.ruhr.de) wrote:
: hy...@crafty.cis.uab.edu (Robert Hyatt) wrote:

: >pit...@aol.com wrote:
: >: Hi all,

: >: -Peter

yep. but he's still impressive as heck when he plays to... Seems to think
that he's Tal or something when he sits down across from a machine...

:)

Rolf Tueschen

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

mcl...@prima.ruhr.de (mclane) wrote:

>Brilliant ! I hope this year my hotel will be better for DEN HAAG then
>last years. I was together with one guy of the Dark Thought team.
>No - it was not Gillgasch. I think if I would have been in one room he
>would have made Gulasch out of me, or vice versa.

>Last year the hotel room was HIGHER than the length was.

----------------------------

And broadsch? Also higher again?

Ah, I got it, you must have been drunken. Length was Hayght!

Were was your bed? In the morning did you have a big red balloon on your
shoulders?

PS. Is he so dangerous because he's sharp like a knife or like pepper?
How would you defend?

PPS. I always thought pot = peace.

mclane

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

hy...@crafty.cis.uab.edu (Robert Hyatt) wrote:

>: >pit...@aol.com wrote:
>: >: Hi all,

>: >: -Peter

Sorry Bob, but I don't understand this sentence from the english:
what is : still impressive as heck (what means heck ?)
Also: do you said that Bronstein thinks he is Tal when he sits in
front of the machine (down across the machine ???? What is this?)
No joking. I really don't understand the words (heck & down across
from a machine) in the context.

>:)

Robert Hyatt

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

mclane (mcl...@prima.ruhr.de) wrote:

: >yep. but he's still impressive as heck when he plays to... Seems to think

: >that he's Tal or something when he sits down across from a machine...

: Sorry Bob, but I don't understand this sentence from the english:
: what is : still impressive as heck (what means heck ?)
: Also: do you said that Bronstein thinks he is Tal when he sits in
: front of the machine (down across the machine ???? What is this?)
: No joking. I really don't understand the words (heck & down across
: from a machine) in the context.

Just an avoidance of my favorite "impressive as hell" metaphor. It simply
means that he is an incredible chess player... particularly so against
computers.

Most GM's, when playing a computer, tend to try and strangle it positionally,
not playing into tactical lines, but rather slowly increasing their space and
constricting the program to areas of the board that are not important. In
contrast, Bronstein comes out tossing material left and right, opening lines,
and attacking like Tal... playing right into the supposed strength of the
computer programs, and then whacking them right off the board tactically.

It was all *highly* complimentary of him... nothing negative at all. I still
use a position of his, played many years ago (mate in 10) as one of my test
positions... :)

Peter W. Gillgasch

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

mclane <mcl...@prima.ruhr.de> wrote:

> Sorry Bob, but I don't understand this sentence from the english:
> what is : still impressive as heck (what means heck ?)

Hoellisch beeindruckend. "Heck" kann man praktisch beliebig verwenden.
So wie "Klasse!", "Geil!", "Schrill!" oder so.

> Also: do you said that Bronstein thinks he is Tal when he sits in
> front of the machine (down across the machine ???? What is this?)

Wenn er sich einer Maschine gegenueber auf einen Stuhl setzt.

> No joking. I really don't understand the words (heck & down across
> from a machine) in the context.

Rechnung fuer geleistete Dienste: 2 Bier beim naechsten Turnier 8^)

[Translation for our American readers who can't speak in foreign tongues
like German (shame on you!): He asked for a translation, he got it, I
billed him with 2 beers for trolling the newsgroup 8^)]

-- Peter

Peter Herttrich

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

In rec.games.chess.computer pit...@aol.com wrote:
: Hi all,

: today I talked with the organizer of the Aegon - Tournament Cock de Corter by phone.

: The event will be held on April 16 until April 23 in DEN HAGUE, Nederlands . No problems with the tournament ! :-))))))))))

: Also in this year we will see strong human players against the "ROBOT" :o))) : Seirawan,Speelman, van der Wiel, Bronstein and perhaps GM Ulf Andersson. Maybe that GM Andersson with his fantastic positional playing style is the most dangerous opponent for all computers this year ?

: Hope to see you all :-)))

: -Peter
Is there a WWW-Site with more infos abt the Tournament ?

cheerio
also Peter :-)

Peter Herttrich email: dh1...@inss1.etec.uni-karlsruhe.de
Universitaet Karlsruhe Tel. +49 721 6083747 FAX +49 721 6086071
Institut fuer Nachrichtentechnik ..life outside caves is complicated ...

Torstein Hall

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Talking about Bronstein or "How I learned that Chess is a simple game!"

I was once lucky enough to play in tha same tournament ( The open Norwegian
championship) as Bronstein. He was surly a nice person and an interesting
player.

The tournament was held up in hotel in a mountain resort, so we where all
dining together in the evening. During dinner Bronstein told me that he had
seen me looking very nervouse playing the game that day. I told him that as
usual I did not understand very well the position I was playing and was
afraid of making a bad move. He replied that chess was realy a simple game
and not to be nervouse. I didnt belive him at first, I just could not agree
that point of view.
He told me then: "I'm the GM and you are just a hobby player, so perhaps
you should take my word for it, but I will explain it to you! A Chess game
starts with white moving, then black, then white and so on until the game
is over. Is not that simple?"
I just had to agree with him and sometimes when the position on the board
feels to complicated to deal with, it realy helps!

--
Torstein Hall
http://login.eunet.no/torshall/sjakk.html

mclane <mcl...@prima.ruhr.de> skrev i artikkelen
<E5rxM...@news.prima.ruhr.de>...

> hy...@crafty.cis.uab.edu (Robert Hyatt) wrote:
>
> >pit...@aol.com wrote:
> >: Hi all,
>
> >: today I talked with the organizer of the Aegon - Tournament Cock de
Corter by phone.

> >: The event will be held on April 16 until April 23 in DEN HAGUE,
Nederlands . No problems with the tournament ! :-))))))))))

> >: Also in this year we will see strong human players against the "ROBOT"
:o))) : Seirawan,Speelman, van der Wiel, Bronstein and perhaps GM Ulf
Andersson. Maybe that GM Andersson with his fantastic positional playing
style is the most dangerous opponent for all computers this year ?

> >: Hope to see you all :-)))
>
> >: -Peter

mclane

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

gil...@ilk.de (Peter W. Gillgasch) wrote:

>mclane <mcl...@prima.ruhr.de> wrote:

>> Sorry Bob, but I don't understand this sentence from the english:
>> what is : still impressive as heck (what means heck ?)

>Hoellisch beeindruckend. "Heck" kann man praktisch beliebig verwenden.
>So wie "Klasse!", "Geil!", "Schrill!" oder so.

Thanks Peter!

>> Also: do you said that Bronstein thinks he is Tal when he sits in
>> front of the machine (down across the machine ???? What is this?)

>Wenn er sich einer Maschine gegenueber auf einen Stuhl setzt.

I understood this, but I thought the context changes it somehow.
Peinlich.

>> No joking. I really don't understand the words (heck & down across
>> from a machine) in the context.

>Rechnung fuer geleistete Dienste: 2 Bier beim naechsten Turnier 8^)

Aeh - angenommen. Accepted. I will pay 2 beers.
If we make peace and forget our old wars.

mclane

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

hy...@crafty.cis.uab.edu (Robert Hyatt) wrote:

>Just an avoidance of my favorite "impressive as hell" metaphor. It simply
>means that he is an incredible chess player... particularly so against
>computers.

Right.

>Most GM's, when playing a computer, tend to try and strangle it positionally,
>not playing into tactical lines, but rather slowly increasing their space and
>constricting the program to areas of the board that are not important. In
>contrast, Bronstein comes out tossing material left and right, opening lines,
>and attacking like Tal... playing right into the supposed strength of the
>computer programs, and then whacking them right off the board tactically.

Again right. He does it the difficult way, and shows that even in this
way programs are not always superior.

>It was all *highly* complimentary of him... nothing negative at all. I still
>use a position of his, played many years ago (mate in 10) as one of my test
>positions... :)

Ok - so we confirm at this. I thought first different, but good that
you translated it in my language level. Thanks.

Rolf Tueschen

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

mcl...@prima.ruhr.de (mclane) wrote:

>gil...@ilk.de (Peter W. Gillgasch) wrote:

>>mclane <mcl...@prima.ruhr.de> wrote:

>>> what is : as heck

>Thanks Peter!

>>Rechnung fuer geleistete Dienste: 2 Bier beim naechsten Turnier 8^)
>Aeh - angenommen. Accepted. I will pay 2 beers.
>If we make peace and forget our old wars.

One question mclany:

How many wars do you still have running?

For me you are a modern Bismarck.

Because you seem to be able to be as good in wars as in your peace talks.

How many wars you want to end/forget for 2 beers? and how many cups of tea do
you drink in the same time he drinks 2 beer?

BTW Why do you fight so many wars when you are ready to forget them fuer nen
appel ...?
Oder wie Konfuzius sagte: Wenn du schon ganz nah am Ziel bist, rede davon, dass
der Weg noch sehr lang wird.

Try it this way. :)

Rolf <Kungfudse IGM> Tueschen

mclane

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

TUESCHEN.MEDIZ...@t-online.de (Rolf Tueschen) wrote:

>mcl...@prima.ruhr.de (mclane) wrote:

>>gil...@ilk.de (Peter W. Gillgasch) wrote:

>>Thanks Peter!

>>>Rechnung fuer geleistete Dienste: 2 Bier beim naechsten Turnier 8^)
>>Aeh - angenommen. Accepted. I will pay 2 beers.
>>If we make peace and forget our old wars.
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>One question mclany:

>How many wars do you still have running?

I don't fight wars. I am a pazifist.

>For me you are a modern Bismarck.

I don't like bismark. He was a selfish and idle motherson.

>Because you seem to be able to be as good in wars as in your peace talks.

I don't do peace talks. Sometimes I make mistakes, sometimes (often
?!) I overreact and apologize or pay in beers and currywurst. :-)

But there are things I will not go back one single step.

>How many wars you want to end/forget for 2 beers? and how many cups of tea do
>you drink in the same time he drinks 2 beer?

I had a word-fight with Peter some couple of months ago. Much time has
passed. I see the things now much more unemotional and I think I made
a mistake.
In the meantime I liked his postings. So I thought to me: he is not
the MATERIALIST I once overreacted for.
So I think: let's forget all this. We all share the same
computerchess.
If he forgives me, we can begin a new step, or start another fight.
Whatever. But better then never regret about words. I think humans
should always forgive and regret or apologize. I would NEVER have
somebody/somthink I could not forgive. Nothing in life is so important
that 2 people should not talk their whole life about because of this
or that. Life is short enough.

>BTW Why do you fight so many wars when you are ready to forget them fuer nen
>appel ...?

When I like somebody, I can forgive anything. Thats pretty easy.
It is called feelings !!

Sometimes feelings change. Thats called experience.

>Oder wie Konfuzius sagte: Wenn du schon ganz nah am Ziel bist, rede davon, dass
>der Weg noch sehr lang wird.

My way is long enough and I am alone on this path. Don't worry. I am
still an outlaw. Will not let you alone in the group of outlaws. :-)

mclane

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

TUESCHEN.MEDIZ...@t-online.de (Rolf Tueschen) wrote:

>mcl...@prima.ruhr.de (mclane) wrote:

>>Brilliant ! I hope this year my hotel will be better for DEN HAAG then
>>last years. I was together with one guy of the Dark Thought team.
>>No - it was not Gillgasch. I think if I would have been in one room he
>>would have made Gulasch out of me, or vice versa.

>>Last year the hotel room was HIGHER than the length was.

>----------------------------

>And broadsch? Also higher again?

What is broadsch ????

>Ah, I got it, you must have been drunken. Length was Hayght!

Sorry, but my sense of humor is like Chris mentioned before as strong
as SPOCKs sense of humor.

>Were was your bed? In the morning did you have a big red balloon on your
>shoulders?

????? Sorry , don't understand. Although I am german. Although I am
crazy enough.

>PS. Is he so dangerous because he's sharp like a knife or like pepper?
>How would you defend?

????

>PPS. I always thought pot = peace.

I do not smoke. Not smoking. No alcohol. ( ... No sex. .... )

Chris Whittington

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

http://www.demon.co.uk/oxford-soft

mclane <mcl...@prima.ruhr.de> wrote in article
<E61yB...@news.prima.ruhr.de>...

> TUESCHEN.MEDIZ...@t-online.de (Rolf Tueschen) wrote:
>
> >mcl...@prima.ruhr.de (mclane) wrote:

We are many outlaws :)

There is only one Sherif of Nottingham, and only one bad king John.

And they don't like to come into the forest.

Chris Whittington

Rolf Tueschen

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

mcl...@prima.ruhr.de (mclane) wrote:

>TUESCHEN.MEDIZ...@t-online.de (Rolf Tueschen) wrote:

>>mcl...@prima.ruhr.de (mclane) wrote:

>>----------------------------

>What is broadsch ????

>????

No, you aren't much supportive.

I'm mainly interested in architecture. Dutch modern architecture. You explained
that your room was much higher than long. Did I miss something?
So I thought your bed must have stood vertically. You got it?

As concerning Gulasch making what you did mention and fear I asked you to give
some more details about his special Kampftechnik. perhaps I could give some
hints out of my Irongrandman experience.

As far as your denying smoking pot I recall other intimate confessions you
posted years ago whren you planned smoking peace pipes with ES.

But I see you are playing too much chess right now. And for the Paderborn
highlights thanks from my side. Well done.

mclane

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

TUESCHEN.MEDIZ...@t-online.de (Rolf Tueschen) wrote:

>mcl...@prima.ruhr.de (mclane) wrote:

I have not done anything. It was all well reported on their web-site.
Thanks to Rainer Feldmann for typing the games into his computer.

Rolf Tueschen

Feb 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/27/97

mcl...@prima.ruhr.de (mclane) wrote:

>TUESCHEN.MEDIZ...@t-online.de (Rolf Tueschen) wrote:

>>mcl...@prima.ruhr.de (mclane) wrote:

Thanks again, mclane, for this answer. On first sight it seems to be rather
unneeded. But again with your precision you enabled further progress.

*I* thought you were the only one who was interested in that event AND
travelled over there AND wrote the first 6 rd. to rgcc.

bruce commented positively.

Then I waited for the rest of the games.

Nothing happened, but bruce and finally Tom commented your list of the final
standings -- but I couldn't find the final games. :(

So, your mentioning the HP (of whom exactly?) and of R. Feldmann gave me the
hint of the original source.

What I still miss is the URL. Could you either write this or post the last rd.
7?

Sorry for writings so much useless stuff but as you see, there are still more
innocent readers than you could imagine. In other words: when writing
complicated think of me and try to give some steps in between. :))

PS. I definitely know of some others who will take profit out of this.