Sjeng 12.7 and 11.2 released

Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Jan 1, 2002, 8:03:24 PM1/1/02
Hi all,

I released 2 new versions of my chess and chess-variants
playing engine today.

Sjeng 11.2 comes with full sources and plays normal chess,
suicide chess, crazyhouse, bughouse, giveaway and losers.
A Linux/Unix version is also available.

Sjeng 12.7 does not come with sources and does not play
variants, but is a fair bit stronger in normal chess.
(It beat The King/Chessmaster and drew ChessTiger in the
Dutch Computerchess Championships)

I also added a special zipfile for ChessBase (or Fritz
or Shredder or Junior ...) users which you can simply
unzip into your ChessBase\Engines directory to get Sjeng
directly available from within the other programs.

Happy new year and have fun!

--
GCP

Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Jan 1, 2002, 8:09:23 PM1/1/02
"Gian-Carlo Pascutto" <nat...@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

> Hi all,
>
> I released 2 new versions of my chess and chess-variants
> playing engine today.

Oops, forgot the link:

http://sjeng.org

-> Download Sjeng

--
GCP

Alberich

Jan 1, 2002, 9:31:04 PM1/1/02
In article <75tY7.18942$rt4....@afrodite.telenet-ops.be>,
nat...@hotmail.com says...
Your engine fought to a draw against Chess Tiger 14?! Or was it Gambit
Tiger 2.0?

Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Jan 1, 2002, 9:47:45 PM1/1/02

"Alberich" <som...@somewhere.com> schreef in bericht

> In article <75tY7.18942$rt4....@afrodite.telenet-ops.be>,
> nat...@hotmail.com says...
> > "Gian-Carlo Pascutto" <nat...@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

> Your engine fought to a draw against Chess Tiger 14?! Or was it Gambit
> Tiger 2.0?

The program was marked as 'Chess Tiger 14.6'. I do not know if
the Gambit personality was used or not.

The game is available from several sources, among which the
'tournaments' section of my webpage. You could load it and
see with which program the moves correspond.

--
GCP

Alberich

Jan 1, 2002, 9:59:02 PM1/1/02
In article <lxuY7.19072$rt4....@afrodite.telenet-ops.be>,
nat...@hotmail.com says...
Thanks for the info. I use Sjeng for position analysis using Chess
Assistant Light 6.1 as well. It's very good. It even came up with better
moves than Fritz 7 when I was analyzing some of my games.

Matt Morgan

Jan 1, 2002, 10:48:46 PM1/1/02

"Alberich" <som...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for the info. I use Sjeng for position analysis using Chess
> Assistant Light 6.1 as well. It's very good. It even came up with better
> moves than Fritz 7 when I was analyzing some of my games.

How did you set this up? I am using the full-up Chess Assistant 6.1, under
which I have set up Sjeng as a winboard engine. Every time I try to start a
game with Sjeng under Chess Assistant, Sjeng crashes and never makes a move
(crashes HARD, as in General Protection Fault). However, it seems to behave
itself nicely under the Shredder 6 Classic GUI.

Alberich

Jan 1, 2002, 11:13:04 PM1/1/02
In article <a0tvs7$2mm$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>, geck...@yahoo.com says...
My apologies. I should mention that not all the winboard engines I set up
in CA Light work correctly. They also crash as well. But they work as
analysis engines when I need to check on positions. Of course since I
don't have the full version, I can't say I know all the quirks in CA.

Just curious though. In CA Light, I keep getting this message "CA Light
has encountered a problem loading. It will now clear all settings so
please try later."

Luckily I saved a backup of the CA Light ini file. That usually solves
the problem..but I'm still forced to reboot the computer before I can get
at CA Light without getting that message again. Do you suffer this kind
of problem using the CA Full version? Just curious because I'd like to
buy CA Full version but paying a king's ransom means I should be sure my
money will go for a stable version I put on my system. My specs is 258 mg
of RAM, 60 gig hard drive, Windows ME.

Thanks in advance.

Matt Morgan

Jan 1, 2002, 11:31:54 PM1/1/02

> My apologies. I should mention that not all the winboard engines I set up
> in CA Light work correctly. They also crash as well. But they work as
> analysis engines when I need to check on positions. Of course since I
> don't have the full version, I can't say I know all the quirks in CA.

I have found that, more often than not, Winboard engines do weird things
under Chess Assistant.

> Just curious though. In CA Light, I keep getting this message "CA Light
> has encountered a problem loading. It will now clear all settings so
> please try later."
>
> Luckily I saved a backup of the CA Light ini file. That usually solves
> the problem..but I'm still forced to reboot the computer before I can get
> at CA Light without getting that message again. Do you suffer this kind
> of problem using the CA Full version? Just curious because I'd like to
> buy CA Full version but paying a king's ransom means I should be sure my
> money will go for a stable version I put on my system. My specs is 258 mg
> of RAM, 60 gig hard drive, Windows ME.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I have never had a problem with Chess Assistant killing off any INI files.
The only times I have had to reboot are when I have loaded a winboard engine
that has gone berserk and has taken down Chess Assistant (there is one
engine in particular that sends CA to the graveyard on my system every
time). I can certainly kill off such engines in the process list, but I
always am a little distrusting of my system after something like that
happens.

Chess Assistant has *never* failed to initialize on my system.

One BIG difference between your configuration and mine is that I am using
Windows 2000 instead of Windows ME. I do not know how much different Chess
Assistant will behave under Windows ME, as I have never run ME (and, I never
plan to, unless forced to do so at gunpoint).

Yes, Chess Assistant costs a chunk of money. But, it has been the best money
I have spent on chess so far, without a doubt, in spite of my troubles with
winboard engines.

Alberich

Jan 1, 2002, 11:47:05 PM1/1/02
In article <a0u2d2$eht$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>, geck...@yahoo.com says...
CA would be 100 percent perfect if it ever sported the Fritz interface.
That's something to hope for. Any ideas when they'll be coming out with
CA 7.0?

Matt Morgan

Jan 2, 2002, 12:03:49 AM1/2/02

> CA would be 100 percent perfect if it ever sported the Fritz interface.
> That's something to hope for. Any ideas when they'll be coming out with
> CA 7.0?

I actually prefer Chess Assistant's interface over the Fritz interface...(I
think I am in the minority on that). Try changing the actual view a bit: Go
to Tools->View Options and click the Advanced button. The modern set makes
CA look *much* nicer.

I have no clue when version 7.0 is coming out. I will most likely buy it
when it comes out though, especially if they have better winboard support. I
suspect we might see it this year, but I am not really sure.

tekir

Jan 2, 2002, 4:43:09 AM1/2/02

Although some opening books such as suicide.opn, nbook.bin are in the
folder of Sjeng 12.7.exe, Sjeng 12.7.exe gives this message in the
opening:
No .OPN opening book found.
Is it possible to use this opening books under Fritz GUI?
regards

Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Jan 2, 2002, 4:52:02 AM1/2/02
"tekir" <yaku...@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

Yes, but the suicide.opn book is only for suicide chess. Sjeng 12.7
does not play variants, so it will not use it.

The book for normal chess must be named normal.opn. I completely
forgot to mention this in the documentation. My apologies. I will
replace the download with one with updated documentation.

Aditionnally, since 12.6 Sjeng has been using a different book
format for the nbook.bin, so older books will not work with 12.7 either.
I will also clear this up.

--
GCP

Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Jan 2, 2002, 4:53:55 AM1/2/02
"Matt Morgan" <geck...@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht

> "Alberich" <som...@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Thanks for the info. I use Sjeng for position analysis using Chess
> > Assistant Light 6.1 as well. It's very good. It even came up with better
> > moves than Fritz 7 when I was analyzing some of my games.
>
> How did you set this up? I am using the full-up Chess Assistant 6.1, under
> which I have set up Sjeng as a winboard engine. Every time I try to start
> game with Sjeng under Chess Assistant, Sjeng crashes and never makes a
move
> (crashes HARD, as in General Protection Fault).

If you enable logging in the sjeng.rc file, it is probably possible to
look at the logfile and determine why this happens.

I suspect that either sjeng.rc has a badly configured parameter or
there are (for example) old learning files lying around.

> However, it seems to behave itself nicely under the Shredder 6 Classic
GUI.

This is very good news. I ordered Shredder 6 yesterday and may
take a stab at creating an UCI version.

--
GCP