Kchess - any good?

Jim Gross

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
I've downloaded the demo of KChess - it looks very polished as a program.
Does anyone know if it plays as well as it looks?

Thanks,

Jim

PMG

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
That's not what "polished" looks like. Get a new optometrist. Try
Bringer (freeware), it's better, or if you like Dos, Rebel Decade (freeware)
is a very good polished program. Or if you want to see real polish goto
http://www.rebel.nl and download a 30 day demo of Rebel 10, I've never seen
more polish in a Demo program. But forget Kchess.

Pete

pulgao

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
PMG <av...@Chicagonet.net> was alleged to have uttered:

>That's not what "polished" looks like. Get a new optometrist. Try
>Bringer (freeware), it's better, or if you like Dos, Rebel Decade (freeware)
>is a very good polished program. Or if you want to see real polish goto
>http://www.rebel.nl and download a 30 day demo of Rebel 10, I've never seen
>more polish in a Demo program. But forget Kchess.

It's a variant of Borland's Owl Chess (there are about 20 programs out
there that use Owl Chess as a GUI base). As I recall, K-Chess doesn't
allow you to reverse the board so that Black is at the bottom. But
it's been ages since I looked at it, so I may be wrong.

-- Steve Lopez

Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Hangar/5176/index.html
Club Page: http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/chesskamikazes

PMG

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99

pulgao wrote:

Actually Owlchess was my first Chess program, that doesn't mean that I have any
respect for it or other similar pascal programs. My first GOOD program was the
shareware version of Now by Mark Lefler, Now has very little polish but it's a
tough old program, I have no idea if Now was based on any existing code, possibly
GNU's but I think its much stronger than GNUchess of that period of time (I could
be wrong).

Pete