Computer-Chess Club (CCC) Our 6 Month Anniversary!

Computer-Chess Club

Apr 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/6/98

On April 7th, CCC is 6 months old and,
already, we have had over 180,000 hits
from chess enthusiasts all over the
world. Come join; it's free!

CCC at http://www.icdchess.com/ccc.html
is a FREE service provided for the sharing
of computer chess information.

Some of the most recognizable names in computer
chess, as well as chess computer enthusiasts,
are there on the CCC message board disseminating
and exchanging information 24 hours a day.

The discussions are energetic, often heated,
but not personal, because CCC is moderated
which assures that participants will not be
attacked personally because of their views.

If you would like to participate or just
be an observer, please come to
http://www.icdchess.com/ccc.html
and sign up for a password which will allow
FREE access to the Computer-Chess Club
message board.

Computer-Chess Club

Chris Whittington

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

Computer-Chess Club <your...@icdchess.com> wrote in article
<352b2fc7...@news.newsguy.com>...

> On April 7th, CCC is 6 months old and,
> already, we have had over 180,000 hits
> from chess enthusiasts all over the
> world. Come join; it's free!
>
> CCC at http://www.icdchess.com/ccc.html
> is a FREE service provided for the sharing
> of computer chess information.
>
> Some of the most recognizable names in computer
> chess, as well as chess computer enthusiasts,
> are there on the CCC message board disseminating
> and exchanging information 24 hours a day.

Two of the most recognisable names won't be there, either reading or
writing, because, in both cases, their password access has been removed.
And they are not welcome.

> The discussions are energetic, often heated,
> but not personal, because CCC is moderated
> which assures that participants will not be
> attacked personally because of their views.

Bollocks. That depends entirely on whom the attacks are being made.

Some targets are v e r y acceptable to the clique that run the board.

> If you would like to participate or just
> be an observer, please come to
> http://www.icdchess.com/ccc.html
> and sign up for a password which will allow
> FREE access to the Computer-Chess Club
> message board.

Unless your email address contains whittington or tueschen in which case
you won't get past the first filter.

And remember, if you mention the magic word 'Tueschen' in any posting,
that's a moderatable offence.

Or if you dare to call one of the moderators 'little Hitler' on the CCC,
rgcc, BBC or The Times, that's a red-card offence.

Or if you post stuff they don't like on rgcc, that's a red-card offence
too.

> Censored Computer-Chess Club

For freedom and truth seekers, there's only one place: rgcc

Chris Whittington

Moritz Berger

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

On Tue, 07 Apr 1998 12:35:25 GMT, "Chris Whittington"
<chr...@cpsoft.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Two of the most recognisable names won't be there, either reading or
>writing, because, in both cases, their password access has been removed.
>And they are not welcome.

They are: Rolf Tueschen and anonymous aka The Dodo.
Recognisable names, indeed.

Does anybody miss them on CCC?

wait

Nobody?

OK, I assume you all know where you can find them (just in case): Of
course here on r.g.c.c., the newsgroup exclusively reserved for
'Tueschen-talk'.

I am waiting for the day to come when people who mention chess here
get flamed for being 'off topic'.

< snip >

>And remember, if you mention the magic word 'Tueschen' in any posting,
>that's a moderatable offence.

On CCC, we don't even talk about 'Tueschen' or 'Whittington'. If this
is the meaning of your words, I agree.

P.S.: I forgot to mention that Chris Whittington left CCC moved by his
deepest sympathy for Rolf Tueschen and 'to keep good (?) company' here
on r.g.c.c. where topics of more interest to him than computer chess
are being distilled into some excellent fertilizer.

Chris Whittington

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

Moritz Berger <Moritz...@email.msn.com> wrote in article
<352a3503...@personalnews.germany.eu.net>...

> On Tue, 07 Apr 1998 12:35:25 GMT, "Chris Whittington"
> <chr...@cpsoft.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

> >Two of the most recognisable names won't be there, either reading or
> >writing, because, in both cases, their password access has been removed.
> >And they are not welcome.
>
> They are: Rolf Tueschen and anonymous aka The Dodo.
> Recognisable names, indeed.

So that's the first mention of another banning from CCC by the Founder's
Group. Never before publicised.

Not that I care about the individual concerned, but I guess the secretive
nature of your banning process, which must have been carried out months
ago, is yet another disturbing aspect of the 'democratic' nature of the
decision process.

So now we have 1 + 1 + 1 = 3

Chris Whittington

Robert Hyatt

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

Chris Whittington <chr...@cpsoft.demon.co.uk> wrote:

: Computer-Chess Club <your...@icdchess.com> wrote in article

: <352b2fc7...@news.newsguy.com>...
:> On April 7th, CCC is 6 months old and,
:> already, we have had over 180,000 hits
:> from chess enthusiasts all over the
:> world. Come join; it's free!
:>
[...]

You call *me* a "little hitler" and it is more than a red-card offense.
Perhaps you'll have the opportunity to do it "face to face" one day. Then
you might prefer the "red card" to what you actually receive.

I don't take kindly to being called such a name. It's not funny. It's
not satirical. It's *grossly insulting*. But let's wait to discuss just
how insulting when/if we ever meet. I *promise* I won't have a red-card
in my hand...

: Or if you post stuff they don't like on rgcc, that's a red-card offence
: too.

nope. one case... *instigated by you*. if you recall. No one else was
screaming nearly so loudly to have Rolf kicked off. *you*. So when you
talk about this issue, remember you are mainly talking to a *mirror*....

:>
:> Censored Computer-Chess Club
:>

: For freedom and truth seekers, there's only one place: rgcc

: Chris Whittington

And for those that like to revise history to paint themselves as
better than they are. Just remember who wanted Rolf out, and who
didn't... I can prove *my* position...

--
Robert Hyatt Computer and Information Sciences
hy...@cis.uab.edu University of Alabama at Birmingham

Chris Whittington

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

Robert Hyatt <hy...@cis.uab.edu> wrote in article
<6gdffg$b0h$2...@juniper.cis.uab.edu>...

Back to baseball bats again ? Hopeless with you, isn't it ?

> I don't take kindly to being called such a name. It's not funny. It's
> not satirical. It's *grossly insulting*. But let's wait to discuss just
> how insulting when/if we ever meet. I *promise* I won't have a red-card
> in my hand...

You're a violent thug, Mr Hyatt. I'ld advise your resigning as CCC
moderator. You're supposed to use 'language' in that role.

> : Or if you post stuff they don't like on rgcc, that's a red-card offence
> : too.
>
> nope. one case... *instigated by you*. if you recall. No one else was
> screaming nearly so loudly to have Rolf kicked off. *you*. So when you
> talk about this issue, remember you are mainly talking to a *mirror*....

So tough guy. How about posting that private email you promised ....

I'm waiting here with the entire Founders Group email file for the time of
the expulsion of Tueschen, or, then again, I just might post it anyway in
the face of your stupid threats.

> :>
> :> Censored Computer-Chess Club
> :>
>
> : For freedom and truth seekers, there's only one place: rgcc
>
> : Chris Whittington
>

> And for those that like to revise history to paint themselves as
> better than they are. Just remember who wanted Rolf out, and who
> didn't... I can prove *my* position...

Not from the RT expulsion email file you can't. Would you like it here on
rgcc for all to read ?

Come on Mr Toughy Hyatt Baseball-Bat .......

Chris Whittington

Moritz Berger

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

On Tue, 07 Apr 1998 14:34:55 GMT, "Chris Whittington"

<chr...@cpsoft.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Moritz Berger <Moritz...@email.msn.com> wrote in article
><352a3503...@personalnews.germany.eu.net>...
>> On Tue, 07 Apr 1998 12:35:25 GMT, "Chris Whittington"
>> <chr...@cpsoft.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>> >Two of the most recognisable names won't be there, either reading or
>> >writing, because, in both cases, their password access has been removed.
>> >And they are not welcome.
>>
>> They are: Rolf Tueschen and anonymous aka The Dodo.
>> Recognisable names, indeed.

>So that's the first mention of another banning from CCC by the Founder's
>Group. Never before publicised.

>Not that I care about the individual concerned, but I guess the secretive
>nature of your banning process, which must have been carried out months
>ago, is yet another disturbing aspect of the 'democratic' nature of the
>decision process.
>
>So now we have 1 + 1 + 1 = 3

Wrong counting both on my part and your part ...

I was talking about TheDodo not posting there ... not about his
expulstion, which never took place (it was not my intention to claim
otherwise).

So if you're talking about 'expulsions', the math goes like

Tueschen = 1 = the only person who ever left CCC involuntarily.

Sorry for the confusion ...

Moritz

Robert Hyatt

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

f...@accountant.com wrote:
: Robert Hyatt wrote:

[...]

: Explanation of term: "Little Hitler" is a petty, bureaucratically minded
: person.

:> Perhaps you'll have the opportunity to do it "face to face" one day. Then

:> you might prefer the "red card" to what you actually receive.

: Bob does it so funnily!

:> I don't take kindly to being called such a name. It's not funny. It's

:> not satirical. It's *grossly insulting*. But let's wait to discuss just
:> how insulting when/if we ever meet. I *promise* I won't have a red-card
:> in my hand...

: Please clarify Bob what will you have in your hand? Remember my Alabama
: vacation "hangs" in the balance! :-)

*absolutely nothing*...

Robert Hyatt

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

Chris Whittington <chr...@cpsoft.demon.co.uk> wrote:

: Robert Hyatt <hy...@cis.uab.edu> wrote in article

: <6gdffg$b0h$2...@juniper.cis.uab.edu>...
:> Chris Whittington <chr...@cpsoft.demon.co.uk> wrote:
:>
:>
:> : Computer-Chess Club <your...@icdchess.com> wrote in article
:> : <352b2fc7...@news.newsguy.com>...
:> :> On April 7th, CCC is 6 months old and,
:> :> already, we have had over 180,000 hits
:> :> from chess enthusiasts all over the
:> :> world. Come join; it's free!
:> :>
[...]

Post away... We've been busy on other things here, and stopped (temporarily)
looking for those old sent-mail directories from my machine. However, my
conscience is clear on the Rolf matter, so post anything you deem fit that
has my name signed to it. But if you post anything, post it all, including
the *dozens* of arguments I made against kicking him out.

I'm waiting, because I know it won't happen. Here you have no support at
all, unless you try to make it up by snipping and pasting...

I do have all the things *I* send online, here is one of about 30 nearly
identical emails sent to the CCC group about the Rolf situation:

---As I've said before, the majority rules. I've already "voted" here
---once. I'm not quite certain about the reasons for all of this
---paranoia about Rolf. I don't mind going toe-to-toe with him on
---issues I consider important. I agreed with Steve's first post on
---this subject, however. I'd like to see him go. But the current
---"reason" is, quite simply, "bullshit."

---We have *no* control over r.g.c.c, nor do we have any reason to try
---to punish actions there by taking some sort of action here. As I
---said before, this is a sort of "kangaroo court" proceeding. If
---the majority don't want him, that's ok by me. I simply regard the
---action of usurping someone's right to do something, only because they
---did something we didn't like, as a bit of an extreme point-of-view.
---Perhaps it is my U.S.A. fetish with the "innocent until proven
---guilty" and "not liable for breaking some law you didn't understand."

---This latter is what this is all about. IE Bruce and Chris disagreed
---over something in Paris. Is that reason to kick one of 'em out of
---here?

---If everyone would learn how to act like grown men... nah, scratch that
---thought. This discussion is worse than most of what goes on in r.g.c.c.
---If everyone would simply learn to respond, or ignore, that would take
---care of most of this. But it certainly doesn't make a lot of sense to
---respond *here* to some action taken over *there*. Particularly when we
---laid down no rules to cover such a case.

---If/When he hangs himself here, I'd have no problem being *the* person
---to kick him out. But at present, we are kicking him out because we
---don't like his religion, or personal appearance, or mannerisms, or
---something, but none of which has anything to do with our charter, IMHO.

---This "we voted" is also a red-herring. The discussion was heated, and
---rather than resolving anything, we vote. If this group is going to act
---this childish, I'm likely to follow the growing list of those going back
---to semi-sanity in r.g.c.c...

---We talk *about* Rolf more than 10X the volume of the posts *from*
---Rolf. Something seems wrong there...

and another very soon after that:

---I have no problem with kicking Rolf out. I'm tired of arguing with
---him, I'm tired of arguing about him, and I'm tired of reading his
---insults and so forth...

---But I think that *if* we do this, let's do it because we don't like
---him, rather than saying it's because he took something from here and
---posted it over there, and turned it into an almost-accusation.

---I personally don't think that a decision made because someone broke
---an unwritten rule that was created after the rule was broken is a good
---reason to take *any* sort of action...

---However, I would be happy to see a simple "Rolf, we are all tired of
---wading thru your droppings and we are kicking you out for that reason."

---My own preference would be to ignore him until he becomes a problem *here*
---as Steve suggested. But email has more traffic about Rolf than r.g.c.c
---has traffic *by* Rolf. That seems silly...

and another a day or two later:

---My only concern, from the get-go, is the "reason" for kicking him
---off. As I said, I can barely stand him. But I *have* learned to
---barely stand him.

---But using a r.g.c.c post to kick him off here is a long stretch of
---"cause and effect"... because that starts us down a slippery slope.
---And there are other reasons for kicking people off, once we start
---kicking people off. IE, someone misbehaves at a tournament, we
---kick 'em off. Someone sends objectionable email, we kick 'em off.
---And so forth.

---I'd feel more comfortable with a set of guidelines that are specific
---in nature. IE Bruce and Chris had a discussion that was worse than
---some of the things Rolf has said. Bruce and I had a disagreement about
---the alphas at Paris. Thorsten and I had a long argument about whether
---Shredder should be ranked higher than Virtual Chess based on Jakarta.
---Any of those could easily be grounds for throwing someone out, based
---on our kangaroo court voting algorithm...

---I'm in a different world than most of you, because working in a
---university environment I have to (a) get along with faculty that
---I often disagree with; (b) get along with an administration that
---often doesn't understand what education is all about; (c) get along
---with students that are times obnoxious. I've learned to speak
---frankly, but not carry a grudge. That would be a good plan of attack
---for others in CCC as well.

and another one after you politely told Rolf to "F-off" after we had
all decided such language was not appropriate:

---I agree with you. Part of the problem is with the "founders" ourselves,
---in this long and tedius discussion. But it makes little sense to chase
---Rolf off, while someone else is telling him to fuck off... Jeez... do
---we have no judgement or common sense? What could Chris be thinking
---about?

Now there you have *my* side of the story, with no snips, no edits,
just complete text from several emails sent to everyone *including you*
as you recall. I have no qualms about posting those, because *I* wrote
them in their entirety.

Now, let's toss the ball into your court. Offer us evidence of where *you*
wanted to wait until Rolf hung himself, rather than kicking him out on the
spot for an accusation he made in r.g.c.c, about a game played in Paris.

your serve...

: Not from the RT expulsion email file you can't. Would you like it here on

: rgcc for all to read ?

I believe I just did. So copy away. And show your support for Rolf during
the same time period.

Waiting on your (most likely) fabrications in response.

Can't fake mine since I attached them, exactly as I wrote 'em. there are
*dozens* just like those in my files that I sent out. I just don't keep
everything I *receive* handy.

: Come on Mr Toughy Hyatt Baseball-Bat .......

Didn't promise you a baseball-bat. I simply promised you a reaction
if you want to maintain that "little hitler" bullshit. That's an insult
of the highest order, at least to me. Maybe you consider it a compliment.
That would be your problem, of course...

: Chris Whittington

:>
:> --

:> Robert Hyatt Computer and Information Sciences
:> hy...@cis.uab.edu University of Alabama at Birmingham
:> (205) 934-2213 115A Campbell Hall, UAB Station
:> (205) 934-5473 FAX Birmingham, AL 35294-1170

:>

rag...@miracon.net

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

<chr...@cpsoft.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Or if you post stuff they don't like on rgcc, that's a red-card offence
>too.
>

>> Censored Computer-Chess Club
>>

>For freedom and truth seekers, there's only one place: rgcc
>
>Chris Whittington

What's this Chris - it seems you've written an ad for CCC!

Ragged Joe

Chris Whittington

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

rag...@miracon.net wrote in article
<352f96c8...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>...

yeah, they love it :)

> Ragged Joe

rag...@miracon.net

Apr 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/7/98

On 7 Apr 1998 18:58:31 GMT, Robert Hyatt <hy...@cis.uab.edu> wrote:

>f...@accountant.com wrote:
>: Robert Hyatt wrote:
>
>:> Chris Whittington <chr...@cpsoft.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>:> : Bollocks. That depends entirely on whom the attacks are being made.

>:> : Some targets are v e r y acceptable to the clique that run the board.
>:> :> If you would like to participate or just
>:> :> be an observer, please come to
>:> :> http://www.icdchess.com/ccc.html
>:> :> and sign up for a password which will allow
>:> :> FREE access to the Computer-Chess Club
>:> :> message board.
>:> : Unless your email address contains whittington or tueschen in which case
>:> : you won't get past the first filter.
>:> : And remember, if you mention the magic word 'Tueschen' in any posting,
>:> : that's a moderatable offence.
>:> : Or if you dare to call one of the moderators 'little Hitler' on the CCC,
>:> : rgcc, BBC or The Times, that's a red-card offence.

>:>
>:> You call *me* a "little hitler" and it is more than a red-card offense.
>

>: Explanation of term: "Little Hitler" is a petty, bureaucratically minded
>: person.
>

>:> Perhaps you'll have the opportunity to do it "face to face" one day. Then
>:> you might prefer the "red card" to what you actually receive.
>

>: Bob does it so funnily!
>

>:> I don't take kindly to being called such a name. It's not funny. It's
>:> not satirical. It's *grossly insulting*. But let's wait to discuss just
>:> how insulting when/if we ever meet. I *promise* I won't have a red-card
>:> in my hand...
>

>: Please clarify Bob what will you have in your hand? Remember my Alabama
>: vacation "hangs" in the balance! :-)
>
>*absolutely nothing*...

"Sometimes nothing is a real cool hand"

- Paul Newman in "Cool Hand Luke"

Joe Rags

Chris Whittington

Apr 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/8/98

Moritz Berger <Moritz...@email.msn.com> wrote in article

> 1 victim of the censor clique

But was wrong

Should have written 2 or 3 victims of the censor clique.

Chris Whittington

Paul Walker

Apr 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/9/98

On Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:28:39 -0700, f...@accountant.com wrote:

>But remember... newbies will first find rgcc. They will *never* find
>CCC as there'll be nothing left but dust flying as they scatter... So -
>what can be done about rgcc (to which references abound all over the
>net)?

Giving "nobody@nsm" a good kick would be a good place to start.

He's not the only one either. :/
Paul
--
---- MicroSoft Windows - when do you want to crash today? ----
FidoNet: 2:440/60.11 2:442/103.13

Paul Walker

Apr 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/10/98

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998 01:57:09 +0200 (MET DST), nob...@REPLAY.COM
(Anonymous) wrote:

>Trying to make brownie points with the Jackboot hierarchy?

Not at all - I have no interest whatsoever in whatever quarrels the
people in here have. Which is why it's somewhat .. vexing to grab the
headers for the group and find ones hurling accusations around, or
apparently fixated on Chessbase and Mathias.

I thought this group was about chess? Should it be renamed
rec.games.chess.computer.flame?

Paul Walker

Apr 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/12/98

Paul Walker

Apr 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/13/98

(Anonymous) wrote:

>Trying to make brownie points with the Jackboot hierarchy?

Not at all - I have no interest whatsoever in whatever quarrels the
people in here have. Which is why it's somewhat .. vexing to grab the
headers for the group and find ones hurling accusations around, or
apparently fixated on Chessbase and Mathias.

I thought this group was about chess? Should it be renamed
rec.games.chess.computer.flame?

[Apologies if those goes out more than once - Zetnet are having
trouble with their news server. ]

Paul Walker

Apr 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/14/98

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 02:02:07 +0200 (MET DST), nob...@REPLAY.COM
(Anonymous) wrote:

>If you're not interested in the Chessbase Fritz5 free upgrade scam,
>then shut up about it.

If you'd stop bleating about it to the whole group, then I wouldn't
have to download the headers, would I?

pulgao

Apr 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/15/98

nob...@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous) wrote:

>This RGCC. Not CCC. If you're another control freak, then go skinny
>dipping with Lopez, Hyatt & Co. over yonder in the CCC cesspool.

I am not, nor have I ever been, a member of CCC.

God, you are *so* stupid.

-- Steve Lopez

http://www.chessbaseusa.com/NY1924/ny1924.htm
http://www.chessbaseusa.com/T-NOTES/etn.htm
http://www.smartchess.com/SmartChessOnline/default.htm

a....@the.races

Apr 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/15/98

In article <1998041423...@basement.replay.com>,
nob...@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous) wrote:
> The Frtiz5 free upgrade scam doesn't go away just because you wish
> it would.

And neither, evidently, do you.