Opinions on Kasparovs Gambit program?

dan ritter

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
I am a beginner to chess. Well I've known how to move pieces since I was 8.
But now I want to really learn the game in the way of strategy. I've
noticed stores selling Kasparovs Gambit for $20. I heard this has some
tutorial stuff in it.

From a beginner standpoint is this program good for learning chess on?

Please reply by e-mail. Thanks 8-] dri...@direct.ca

Evan

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
dri...@direct.ca (dan ritter) wrote:

›I am a beginner to chess. Well I've known how to move pieces since I was 8.

›But now I want to really learn the game in the way of strategy. I've
›noticed stores selling Kasparovs Gambit for $20. I heard this has some
›tutorial stuff in it.

›From a beginner standpoint is this program good for learning chess on?

Well, if you're willing to spend an extra $20, you should get
CM4000 for Win 3.1 or Win95. Kasparov's Gambit is a very old (DOS)
program, and CM4000 is much better suited to your needs.

›Please reply by e-mail. Thanks 8-] dri...@direct.ca

--Evan

Eric Schiller

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
I wrote the tutorials, and they can help you. But I did a much more
extensive project for the forthcoming Chessmaster 5000. Gambit has some
wonderful coaching features, but is not easy to configure for hardware. GO
ahead and buy it, but make sure you can return it if it doesn't work on
your system. Also, a new product (Maurice Ashley Teaches Chess) will
appear before too long. So if you are not satisfied with Gambit, you'll
have additional options later. In the fall, you'll see an entire CD on How
to Play Chess for under $20. I'll be covering these developments on my web
pages (http://www.chessworks.com) as the products are released.

In article <4cv03d$g...@grid.direct.ca>, dri...@direct.ca (dan ritter) wrote:

> I am a beginner to chess. Well I've known how to move pieces since I was 8.
> But now I want to really learn the game in the way of strategy. I've
> noticed stores selling Kasparovs Gambit for $20. I heard this has some
> tutorial stuff in it.
>
> From a beginner standpoint is this program good for learning chess on?
>

> Please reply by e-mail. Thanks 8-] dri...@direct.ca

---ooo---
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously at the chessboard, awaiting user input

ANTHONY EAKER

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
to dri...@direct.ca
Dan,

Mr. Schiller is right about Kasparov's Gambit, his tutorials are
good, but the program is not that pretty to look at unless it will work
in SVGA mode on your system (it won't do it on many, so as he said make
sure you can return it or exchange it.) Chessmaster 4000 is my
preference, the tutorials are O.K. (get the CD-ROM version for the most
features.) it is a windows only program though, but much stronger than
Gambit as far as playing strength goes. I've seen Gambit offered on
cd-rom (same as the floppy version, just on a cd) included with a couple
other games for $20.00 or so at some software stores so you might look
for that to get more for your $$$.

Eric Schiller

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96
I have finished the tutorials for Chessmaster 5000 and I think they will
do nicely, but unfortunately it will be a few months before it comes out.
I did not do the tutorials for CM4000. I did do the tutorials for Gambit.
I assisted with the forthcoming Maurice Ashley Teaches Chess but did *not*
do any of the teaching materials themsleves. My own course for beginners,
with Peter Kurzdorfer, will be available in the fall on CD from Zane
Publishing.

That may or may not clarify anything :->

Eric Schiller

In article <4d1i9j$h...@klein.delphi.com>, ANTHONY EAKER
<tony...@mci.newscorp.com> wrote:

---ooo---

SDuray

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96
writes:

>I am a beginner to chess. Well I've known how to move pieces since I was
8.
>But now I want to really learn the game in the way of strategy. I've
>noticed stores selling Kasparovs Gambit for $20. I heard this has some
>tutorial stuff in it.
>
>From a beginner standpoint is this program good for learning chess on?

I am also a beginner. I was wondering how accurate Kasparov's Gambit ELO
rating system is. For example, is it accurate up to around 2000?

Sam Duray

Richard Reich

Jan 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/13/96
In article <4d5ifs$c...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> sdu...@aol.com (SDuray) writes:
>I am also a beginner. I was wondering how accurate Kasparov's Gambit ELO
>rating system is. For example, is it accurate up to around 2000?

>Sam Duray

No.The rating system grossly overestimates the human player's strength. i'm
consistently over 2300 on KG, but am 1891 USCF.