Dragon

Markus Mock

Apr 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/30/97

Does anybody know details about the chess program Dragon that did
so well at Aegon '97?
Is it available commercially?

--
-- Markus
mo...@acm.org

Komputer Korner

Apr 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/30/97

The older version comes with CA2.0 but it is much weaker than what
played at AEgon.
--
Komputer Korner

The inkompetent komputer.

George Essig

May 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/2/97

Markus Mock <mo...@acm.org> wrote in article <336795...@acm.org>...

> Does anybody know details about the chess program Dragon that did
> so well at Aegon '97?
> Is it available commercially?
>
> --
> -- Markus
> mo...@acm.org

Dragon is a Russian program being sold for $35 by the people at Chess
Assistant, http://www.demon.co.uk/convekta/. I own Chess Assistant 2.01
has a Dragon analysis module. One unusual feature of Dragon is that it
sometimes extends its search horizon by more than a half move. When I
analyze games, it searches at plys 1,2,3,4,6,10,18.

George Essig

mclane

May 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/2/97

"George Essig" <es...@interaccess.com> wrote:

>George Essig

If somebody could guaranty that the Dragon version he sells is the
Aegon version, I would like to buy this program.

Who knows. I don't think that the CA2.01 analysis module Dragon is
identical to the Aegon97 version.

I have CA2.01 too and the dragon engine there works that strange like
you decribe, but it plays not strong.

Come one:

Who has this program to buy it from ?!

We want to buy it .......

Tom C. Kerrigan

May 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/4/97

George Essig (es...@interaccess.com) wrote:

> Dragon is a Russian program being sold for $35 by the people at Chess
> Assistant, http://www.demon.co.uk/convekta/. I own Chess Assistant 2.01
> has a Dragon analysis module. One unusual feature of Dragon is that it
> sometimes extends its search horizon by more than a half move. When I
> analyze games, it searches at plys 1,2,3,4,6,10,18.

I think this is due to the concept of fractional ply, or if you look at it
from a Genius point of view, having one move suck more than one ply. There
were several programs at the 95 WMCCC that got to "16 ply" in a few
seconds...

Cheers,
Tom

mclane

May 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/4/97

kerr...@merlin.pn.org (Tom C. Kerrigan) wrote:

>George Essig (es...@interaccess.com) wrote:

>I think this is due to the concept of fractional ply, or if you look at it
>from a Genius point of view, having one move suck more than one ply. There
>were several programs at the 95 WMCCC that got to "16 ply" in a few
>seconds...

>Cheers,
>Tom

I guess the Dragon that played in Den Haag has got 2 engines. Also
this version will be maybe released with the next chess assistant,
that could be the chess assistant for windows. This Dragon could be
the next analysis engine. Would be interesting, wouldn't it ?

Let us look forward to it......
Can't wait to update my chess assistant...