Tablebases and castling?

Ronald de Man

May 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/12/97

I wonder if the tablebases used by crafty handle castling rights correctly.
For example, the position

5q2/8/8/5k2/8/8/8/4K2R w K - 0 1

is a win for white, and

5q2/8/8/5k2/8/8/8/4K2R w - 0 1

should be a loss.

Ronald de Man

Steven J. Edwards

May 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/13/97

de...@wsdw10.win.tue.nl (Ronald de Man) writes:

>I wonder if the tablebases used by crafty handle castling rights correctly.

Castling is not considered in the current batch of tablebases. It may
be included in a future revision, but it isn't a high priority item
because of the extreme rarity of castling rights being retained into
the endgame. A more important extension is the implementation of en
passant so classes like KPKP and KPPKP can be constructed correctly.

-- Steven (s...@mv.mv.com)

Komputer Korner

May 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/14/97

Martin Borriss is asking about R&B vs R. He can't find it.
--
Komputer Korner

The inkompetent komputer.