blooman convention

lsf

Apr 26, 2009, 8:47:14 AM4/26/09
anyone familiar with blooman convention defense against 1 NT

Art Hoffman

Apr 26, 2009, 10:20:29 AM4/26/09

"lsf" <lsfei...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> anyone familiar with blooman convention defense against 1 NT

I haven't played it. But, it was explained to me as a combination of
Cappelletti and natural. Over 1NT all the 2 bids are natural. With a two
suited hand, you double and partner puppets to 2C, after which your rebid is
in the Cappelletti scheme of bids. The theory is that with a one suited
hand, you rarely get to bid it in Cappelletti after you start with 2C
(showing an undefined one-suiter). Of course, for adding this enhancement,
you give up a penalty double of 1NT in the direct seat. To penalize 1NT,
partner would have to convert it.

Chris

Apr 26, 2009, 11:25:52 PM4/26/09
On Apr 26, 10:20 am, "Art Hoffman" <ar...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "lsf" <lsfeinsm...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I have no reason to doubt that that is an accurate description of
blooman, but It seems like there could be big improvements in the same
basic framework, given that you are willing to give up the penalty
double.

(1) Immediate natural 2C and 2D overcalls aren't all that useful.

(2) Pinpointing both suits in two-suiters, and pinpointing major suit
length in major two-suiters is bibg.

Thus, I might recommend something like the following:

2C = majors (2D asks for the better one0
2D = hearts + diamonds
2H = hearts
2S = spades
2NT = minors
3C = clubs
3D = diamonds

and if you double, forcing 2C, then
2D = spades + diamonds
2H = hearts + clubs
2S = spades + clubs
2NT & up = very strong major-minor two-suiters (devise your own
scheme, just too strong to risk being passed)

Christopher Monsour