guillotine question

Greg Wong

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
We played our first two games of Guillotine by Wizards of the Coast.
One question
we had was this...

The Master Spy card says that he moves to the end of the line after each
action card
is played. Let's say that Master Spy is 3rd in line and someone plays
an action
card that moves the Master Spy to the head of the line. Does the player
get to
pick up the Master Spy? Or, having played the action card to move the
Master
Spy to the head of the line, the Master Spy moves back to the end of the
line?

Thanks.

--Greg
greg...@best.com

Nicholas Goedert

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
My impression was that the Spy moves to the end after the effects of the
card are worked out and before and nobles are collected. Thus, unless the
Spy is collected before any action cards are played in a given day, he will
always be the last noble collected on that day.

Nick

Steffan O'Sullivan

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
Greg Wong <greg...@best.com> wrote:

>The Master Spy card says that he moves to the end of the line after each
>action card
>is played. ...

I don't know the official ruling, but you can see how we play this and
another thorny card at http://www.io.com/~sos/bc/guill.html

--
-Steffan O'Sullivan |
s...@vnet.net | "Seek Grailo, Even Better Than the True Grail"

Geenius at Wrok

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Greg Wong wrote:

> The Master Spy card says that he moves to the end of the line after each

> action card is played. Let's say that Master Spy is 3rd in line and

> someone plays an action card that moves the Master Spy to the head of
> the line. Does the player get to pick up the Master Spy? Or, having
> played the action card to move the Master Spy to the head of the line,

> the Master Spy moves back to the end of the line?

We always play that the Master Spy moves to the end of the line after the
function of the action card is executed. Otherwise the Master Spy's power
makes no sense -- he's supposed to be elusive.

--
"I wish EVERY day could be a shearing festival!" -- The 10 Commandments
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

ForlornH

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98
>>The Master Spy card says that he moves to the end of the line after each
>>action card
>>is played. ...
>
>I don't know the official ruling, but you can see how we play this and
>another thorny card at http://www.io.com/~sos/bc/guill.html

We played our first games of this last night when friends came over. We
interpreted the rules for the Callous Guards and the Master Spy as you did. I
wonder if that means we're doing something right...

Rich Goranson (Lord Stephan Calvert deGrey)
Buffalo, NY (Barony of the Rhydderich Hael, Æthelmearc)
Diplomacy addict, F&E guru, Expos fan and medieval re-creationist

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - Henry
II

Bob Martino

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
In article <367836EF...@best.com>, Greg Wong <greg...@best.com> wrote:

> We played our first two games of Guillotine by Wizards of the Coast.
> One question
> we had was this...
>

> The Master Spy card says that he moves to the end of the line after each
> action card

> is played. Let's say that Master Spy is 3rd in line and someone plays
> an action
> card that moves the Master Spy to the head of the line. Does the player
> get to
> pick up the Master Spy? Or, having played the action card to move the
> Master

> Spy to the head of the line, the Master Spy moves back to the end of the
> line?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Greg
> greg...@best.com

I learned to play this game at the Wizards' Booth at Origins this year,
right after it was first released. They made the spy rule very clear: If
an action card moves the spy to the front of the line, he goes there for a
split second, but then he moves to the end of the line before he can be
collected. the same thing happens if you play the card that reverses the
line order. the spy (who was at the back, and now is at the front), will
move to the new end of the line before he can be collected.

Note that this ONLY applies to ACTION cards. Sometimes when you collect a
certain noble, it can alter the order of the line. This does NOT activate
the spy's special power.