Simple doesn't mean no fun

Dan Cashmore

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
I just played Can't Stop last night, after not playing it for a few years,
and rediscovered how fun it is. I can't put my finger on what it is that
makes this game so enjoyable; I suppose it's the tension of the race
combined with the push-your-luck gambling aspect, or something like that. I
found myself hoping to play again soon. Anyway, it took about 90 seconds to
teach our new player the rules (and he ended up winnning).

It got me thinking about what other games with light rules I like. The
first to spring to mind is Lost Cities. It's an easy and quick game to
teach to others and to play. Obviously luck is a big factor in the game,
but you can really strategize a lot. Basic strategy is not difficult to get
a handle on, yet it invites repeat playing.

A few other games I really like that are easy to learn and play:
Ghosts (now being released in Italy as Fantasmi, I believe)
Blockade (Lakeside Games)
Raj
Metro (after 1 playing; I can't comment yet on replay value)

I thought about including Othello, but while the rules are simple, I think
winning strategy is too involved to qualify the game as "simple"

What do other people like? And what do you think separates these games from
other simple games that are merely dull?

Russ Williams

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00

Dan Cashmore <carda...@rcn.com> wrote in message

> A few other games I really like that are easy to learn and play:
> Ghosts (now being released in Italy as Fantasmi, I believe)
> Blockade (Lakeside Games)
> Raj
> Metro (after 1 playing; I can't comment yet on replay value)
>
> I thought about including Othello, but while the rules are simple, I think
> winning strategy is too involved to qualify the game as "simple"
>
> What do other people like? And what do you think separates these games
from
> other simple games that are merely dull?

Bluff.
Vampire.
Guillotine.
Zirkus Flohcati (Flea Circus)

The thing that makes these sorts of games fun is they are short and fast to
play, easy to explain, and a nice balance of luck and not-incredibly-hard
strategy which seems to appeal to casual gamers as well as those who enjoy
strategizing.

russ
http://www.kofightclub.com

Graham Wills

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
After out church group's annual cricket game was rained off yesterday,
I organized -- at the last moment -- a switch to boardgaming. We had
about 30 people, about half of whom were 12 or under and a lot of whom
have played only traditional US family games. So I brought quick and
easy games along. 5 minutes of teaching was my criterion. Now, other
people also brought games and there were some other 'teachers' around.
The games I observed being played (I left after about 4 hours as my
kids were getting distinctly tired) were:

Carabande (plus expansion set):
Almost continual play with 6-8 players. A particular hit
with 8-16 year old boys and much enjoyed by one of our gang who
has MS and is wheel-chair bound (hint: build track around the
edges -- not in the middle!)

Frank's Zoo:
Two sets of players; some 4 year old kids and a couple of adults
and a sea of young girls. Or is the collective noun 'giggle'?

Euchre/Bridge:
I ended up learning euchre and then teaching bridge with a
foursome. A second foursome had started when I left.

Can't Stop:
Lots of play with ages 10, 15, and some parental age adults.

Guesstures:
Good party game gathered a small following among a clique of
women, with a guy or two drifting in at odd moments.

Chess:
A couple of teenagers started playing; a couple of adults took
over the set later.

Pirateer:
A couple of foursomes played; mixed adults and early teenagers.

One thing that I was particulary pleased about was that games were
being played with a range of ages and ability and that games were
being enjoyed by all the competitors. That is especially true for
Carabande, Pirateer and Can't Stop.

- Graham

--
Graham Wills Data Visualization, Bell Labs
gwi...@research.bell-labs.com +1 (630) 979 7338

gwills.vcf