Zertz question

1 view

L.Tuxbury

Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00
I read somewhere that jumping is mandatory in this game. Does that mean
that if Player A places a marble that could lead to a jump, that Player
B must take that jump? Or does it simply mean that if you decide to jump
instead of placing a marble, you can't stop if the piece you moved may
capture again ?

Dave Bernazzani

Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00
L.Tuxbury wrote:
> I read somewhere that jumping is mandatory in this game. Does that mean
> that if Player A places a marble that could lead to a jump, that Player
> B must take that jump? Or does it simply mean that if you decide to jump

Yes, it means that player B must make the jump. That's one of the neat
parts of the game - placement of marbles so that you force your opponent to
jump - often allowing you to (mandatory) capture back (often more material
than was taken by your opponent). It's a very fine 2P abstract (I've not
tired it with more players although I think the rules allow for it).

--
Dave Bernazzani
db...@gis.net

Dave Boyd

Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
db...@gis.net (Dave Bernazzani) wrote in
<906o21$5sfo$1...@ID-14823.news.dfncis.de>:

>L.Tuxbury wrote:
>> I read somewhere that jumping is mandatory in this game. Does that
>> mean that if Player A places a marble that could lead to a jump, that
>> Player B must take that jump? Or does it simply mean that if you
>> decide to jump
>
>Yes, it means that player B must make the jump. That's one of the neat
>parts of the game - placement of marbles so that you force your opponent
>to jump - often allowing you to (mandatory) capture back (often more
>material than was taken by your opponent). It's a very fine 2P abstract
>(I've not tired it with more players although I think the rules allow
>for it).

Right, the only choice when presented with a available jump comes when
there are two or more possible jumps, in which case the moving player can
choose from them.

Zertz is one of my favorite two-player abstracts; the forced jump mechanic
from Checkers, only with more options because of the three colors of pieces
and the hex-shaped board... but it's the way the board shrinks as the game
is played, and the feeling of the walls closing in as your available
options become fewer and fewer that really makes the game for me. It's my
favorite of the Gipf series.

Does anyone know when the next game in the Gipf series is due?

--
Dave Boyd
Cosmic Encounter: the best game ever

Arne Hoffmann

Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
Dave Boyd wrote:

> Zertz is one of my favorite two-player abstracts; the forced jump mechanic
> from Checkers, only with more options because of the three colors of pieces
> and the hex-shaped board... but it's the way the board shrinks as the game
> is played, and the feeling of the walls closing in as your available
> options become fewer and fewer that really makes the game for me. It's my
> favorite of the Gipf series.
>
> Does anyone know when the next game in the Gipf series is due?

Hi Dave!

I share your opinion of ZERTZ. Kris writes on his webpage
(http://www.gipf.com) that the next game of the series will hopefully be
published next year. The downpart is that Schmidt Spiele does not longer
support project GIPF - meaning Kris is on his own for the moment. So
the 4th part of the project might only be published in a limited
edition. Furthermore, Schmidt removed GIPF and TAMSK from their programm
and it is only a matter of time till ZERTZ will be removed, too.

- Arne -

Dave Boyd

Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
hoff...@mathc.rwth-aachen.de (Arne Hoffmann) wrote in
<3A27D4BD...@mathc.rwth-aachen.de>:

>I share your opinion of ZERTZ. Kris writes on his webpage
>(http://www.gipf.com) that the next game of the series will hopefully be
>published next year. The downpart is that Schmidt Spiele does not longer
>support project GIPF - meaning Kris is on his own for the moment. So
>the 4th part of the project might only be published in a limited
>edition. Furthermore, Schmidt removed GIPF and TAMSK from their programm
>and it is only a matter of time till ZERTZ will be removed, too.

Drat! The GIPF project is without a publisher now? That's bad news!
Fortunately, I already have the first three games. I only hope that some
copies of the next games are imported to the US...

Rick Jones

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
Dave Boyd wrote:

> Zertz is one of my favorite two-player abstracts;...

I'd just like to note that Zertz was one of this year's Mensa Mind
Games winners. :-{)

--
Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me