Tales of the Arabian Nights (ATTN Kevin J. Maroney)

Flex Mentallo

Jun 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/23/00
I noticed a switch in .sig for Kevin today, from "Games are my entire
waking life" to "Author, _Tales of the Arabian Nights_ computer edition and
_Tales of the Arabian Nights_ second edition."

Now, I have a long-suffering, beat-up, much-played copy of TotAN that
*really* needs to retire. It, and I, ask: WHEN?

I've been watching for this puppy for years, now. Is this .sig switch a
harbinger of good news?

[Anecdote: some friends of mine and I went to see Disney's Aladdin when it
came out. When Aladdin got thrown in the dungeon, we couldn't help
whispering: "Hey! He just got the IMPRISONED status!" "You meet a
hunchback! He's DISGUISED!"]
--
Flex Mentallo
Man of Muscle Mystery

Kevin J. Maroney

Jun 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/23/00
bka...@netscape.net (Flex Mentallo) wrote:

>I noticed a switch in .sig for Kevin today, from "Games are my entire
>waking life" to "Author, _Tales of the Arabian Nights_ computer edition and
>_Tales of the Arabian Nights_ second edition."

Purely temporary and ad hoc, I assure you. I last did work on either
of those projects over three years ago.

>Now, I have a long-suffering, beat-up, much-played copy of TotAN that
>*really* needs to retire. It, and I, ask: WHEN?

Good news: The second edition of _Tales of the Arabian Nights_ is
available now.

Bad news: It's in German. _Geschichten aus 1001 Nacht_ from Mario
Truant Verlag was published in late 1999. No plans exist for an
English language edition.

--
Kevin J. Maroney | Crossover Technologies | kmar...@crossover.com

The Maverick

Jun 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/23/00
Kevin J. Maroney wrote:

> Bad news: It's in German. _Geschichten aus 1001 Nacht_ from Mario
> Truant Verlag was published in late 1999. No plans exist for an
> English language edition.

By the way, are there any scans of the components posted online? I'd be
interested to see how they compare...

the Mav

--
Cliffhanger Serials, Boardgames, Videogames, and Red Baron I
http://www.volcano.net/~themaverick/index.html

Mik Svellov

Jun 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/23/00

The Maverick asked:

>By the way, are there any scans of the components posted online? I'd be
>interested to see how they compare...

If the link doesn't work you will have to search for the picture at
http://toybox.de
You can see the board and a single card at:

http://www.toybox.de/artikelzoom.php3?f0f0e4dcca2dedb1b2461e1b4e5595ef-50-4

I saw the game at Spiel ´99 and it looks so much better than the US edition.
If only the paragraph book were in English :-)

Mik

The Maverick

Jun 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/23/00
Mik Svellov wrote:

> I saw the game at Spiel ´99 and it looks so much better than the US edition.
> If only the paragraph book were in English :-)

Wow, does look nice! Here's a direct link to the image:
http://www.toybox.de/img/0e9b4e54ba7b5313df15442af24ab0de.jpg

So does this mean Tales is now a German game? ;-) Ok, forget I even
asked!

A better question: are there any U.S. sources for this? Price?

Thanks!

Randy Simcox

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
The Maverick wrote:

> Mik Svellov wrote:
> >
> > I saw the game at Spiel ´99 and it looks so much better than the US edition.
> > If only the paragraph book were in English :-)
>
> Wow, does look nice! Here's a direct link to the image:
> http://www.toybox.de/img/0e9b4e54ba7b5313df15442af24ab0de.jpg
>
> So does this mean Tales is now a German game? ;-) Ok, forget I even
> asked!
>
> A better question: are there any U.S. sources for this? Price?
>
> Thanks!
>
> the Mav

Dam! It does look great! I would kill to get an english copy as mine is worn to
the nub from constant playing.

Randy

Flex Mentallo

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00
kmar...@crossover.com (Kevin J. Maroney) wrote in
<1p47ls0sd6omtcan0...@4ax.com>:

>bka...@netscape.net (Flex Mentallo) wrote:
>
>>I noticed a switch in .sig for Kevin today, from "Games are my entire
>>waking life" to "Author, _Tales of the Arabian Nights_ computer edition
>>and _Tales of the Arabian Nights_ second edition."
>

>Good news: The second edition of _Tales of the Arabian Nights_ is
>available now.
>

>Bad news: It's in German. _Geschichten aus 1001 Nacht_ from Mario
>Truant Verlag was published in late 1999. No plans exist for an
>English language edition.

Aargh!!!

[Flex acquires the status GRIEF STRICKEN.]

:(

Mik Svellov

Jun 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/24/00

Randy Simcox wrote:

>Dam! It does look great! I would kill to get an english copy as mine is
worn to
>the nub from constant playing.

You don't have to go as far as that. All you need is to cough up enough
money to get it into print :-)
The German edition is a direct translation of the American revised edition
so it is ready to publish.
Mik

Daniel Blum

Jun 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/25/00
Kevin J. Maroney <kmar...@crossover.com> wrote:
> bka...@netscape.net (Flex Mentallo) wrote:

>>I noticed a switch in .sig for Kevin today, from "Games are my entire
>>waking life" to "Author, _Tales of the Arabian Nights_ computer edition and
>>_Tales of the Arabian Nights_ second edition."

> Purely temporary and ad hoc, I assure you. I last did work on either

> of those projects over three years ago.

>>Now, I have a long-suffering, beat-up, much-played copy of TotAN that
>>*really* needs to retire. It, and I, ask: WHEN?

> Good news: The second edition of _Tales of the Arabian Nights_ is
> available now.

> Bad news: It's in German. _Geschichten aus 1001 Nacht_ from Mario
> Truant Verlag was published in late 1999. No plans exist for an
> English language edition.

OK, but what about the computer edition? First I've heard of it.

Dan Blum to...@mcs.net

Kevin J. Maroney

Jun 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/27/00
Daniel Blum <to...@mcs.net> wrote:
[I wrote:]

>> Bad news: It's in German. _Geschichten aus 1001 Nacht_ from Mario
>> Truant Verlag was published in late 1999. No plans exist for an
>> English language edition.
>
>OK, but what about the computer edition? First I've heard of it.

In 1992 and 1993, Crossover Technologies put a fair amount of work
into producing a _Tales of the Arabian Nights_ computer game. Fairly
far into the development process (approximately around beta-testing),
we realized that the game would never get published or distributed,
and that any further effort spent on the game would be completely
wasted.

The work that I did on the Book of Tales (and some minor revisions of
the rules) for the computer edition is reflected in the second
edition, and is the basis for the Truant edition.

--
Kevin J. Maroney | Crossover Technologies | kmar...@crossover.com

Kevin J. Maroney

Jun 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/27/00
The Maverick <thema...@volcano.net> wrote:
>So does this mean Tales is now a German game? ;-)

Always has been, Mav. It's a little-known fact that all West End games
were actually designed and published in Germany. Also, _The Thousand
Nights and a Night_ was originally a German folk tale--it started off
as a short story but got a bit out of hand.

John_Da...@acm.org

Jun 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/27/00
"Kevin J. Maroney" wrote:

> Always has been, Mav. It's a little-known fact that all West End games
> were actually designed and published in Germany.

Cosmic Encounter? :)

D. H.

Sep 6, 2000, 1:50:42 PM9/6/00

Chickamauga?
South Mountain?
St. Lo?
R.A.F.?

The list goes on, and these games were not designed or
published in Germany