[QP] - Quick Grab

Nick Danger

Aug 28, 2001, 3:29:26 PM8/28/01
As a candidate for the wackiest QP to date, I submit the following
scenario:

Ed McMahon shows up at your front door and asks you to step outside.
You trust Ed and since it's a nice day outside, partly cloudy with the
temperature hovering around 75 degrees and low humidity, you figure
why not and join Ed on the stoop. Ed pulls out a wad of one thousand
dollar bills. One hundred of them to be exact. He tells you that the
one hundred thousand dollars is yours with just one caveat. You must
run into the house and be back with a game, any game, as fast as
possible. In fact, for each second it takes you to arrive back on the
stoop one thousand dollars will be subtracted from your booty.

Here's where the quick poll comes in... going from memory (unless you
really want to take the time to look around the house for this waste
of time exercise) what game do you think you bring out to Ed? In
other words, what game do you think you could get your hands on the
fastest and get outside with to lose the least amount of money? Could
you have been lucky enough to have left El Grande sitting on the
living room sofa? Perhaps there's a deck of Bohnanza on the kitchen
table? Or do you have to run to the gaming safe, and if so what game
do you think is sitting closest to the door? A standard deck of cards
does NOT count.

This is the quick poll that'll bring out all the lurkers! Never
before has a quick poll been so enticing as this! C'mon now, Ed is
waiting and the clock is running..... tick, tick, tick....

--
тёу Nick Visit the Gamer's Rogue Gallery at:
Danger http://www.nickdanger.com/gamers/RogueGallery.htm

For Whimsical Boardgame Banter:

Big Head Zach

Aug 28, 2001, 3:41:59 PM8/28/01
On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Nick Danger wrote:

> Here's where the quick poll comes in... going from memory (unless you
> really want to take the time to look around the house for this waste
> of time exercise) what game do you think you bring out to Ed? In
> other words, what game do you think you could get your hands on the
> fastest and get outside with to lose the least amount of money? Could
> you have been lucky enough to have left El Grande sitting on the
> living room sofa? Perhaps there's a deck of Bohnanza on the kitchen
> table? Or do you have to run to the gaming safe, and if so what game
> do you think is sitting closest to the door? A standard deck of cards
> does NOT count.

I pull 10-11 business cards out of my pocket/wallet, write WEREWOLF on two
of them, and SEER on another, and hand him a handmade copy of Les Loups
Garoux.

Big Head Zach b...@polter.net
"If there were a female President, there would no longer be any war. None.
Just every 28 days, some severe negotiations." - Robin Williams

Dave Eggleston

Aug 28, 2001, 3:42:03 PM8/28/01
Oddly enough, I keep a spare copy of Hungry Hungry Hippos in my shoe bench
in preparation for scenarios such as this one.

- d

nos...@nospam.com

Aug 28, 2001, 3:54:38 PM8/28/01

I've got in progress games of War and Peace and ASL set up not too
far from the door right now, but it would take too long to pack either
game back up into their boxes. Since a standard deck of cards does
not count, I guess I couldn't just pick up the dice and play craps
with Ed. In that case, on the two shelves below my ASL shelf, the
closest games on the ends are Dark Emperor and Titan. Actually,
Tactics II is sitting on top of Dark Emperor in the space between
the top shelf and would be the easiest to pull out. So I guess it
would be Tactics II, although I'd rather whack Ed over the head with
Pacific War (Victory Games). Didn't you say we were supposed to find
a game that would knock Ed out? :)

Nick Danger

Aug 28, 2001, 4:04:14 PM8/28/01
On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 12:42:03 -0700, "Dave Eggleston"

>Oddly enough, I keep a spare copy of Hungry Hungry Hippos in my shoe bench
>in preparation for scenarios such as this one.

I'm guessing you were a boy scout in your youth too, eh? ;-)

Nick Danger

Aug 28, 2001, 4:10:12 PM8/28/01
On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:41:59 -0400, Big Head Zach wrote:

>I pull 10-11 business cards out of my pocket/wallet, write WEREWOLF on two
>of them, and SEER on another, and hand him a handmade copy of Les Loups
>Garoux.

While that might get you an "A" for effort, it's not a "real" game.
It would be like playing rocks, paper, scissors with him. He would
disallow the homemade game. I know this as Ed and I are real tight!

Graham Wills

Aug 28, 2001, 4:18:57 PM8/28/01
Nick Danger wrote:

> Here's where the quick poll comes in... going from memory (unless you
> really want to take the time to look around the house for this waste
> of time exercise) what game do you think you bring out to Ed? In
> other words, what game do you think you could get your hands on the
> fastest and get outside with to lose the least amount of money?

Ten steps into the house for the box with Mage Knight figures
I'm playing with my son on the table. $95,000 will do nicely.

If it weren't there, I'd have to open the kids' cupbaord and get out
Barnyard Critters, Frank's Zoo or Uno. It's one less step, but
the door needs opening.

If he wanted an adult game, then I'm screwed as a furnace is
being installed in my crawl space today and my access is way
limited!

- Graham

--
Graham Wills Data Visualization, Bell Labs
gwi...@research.bell-labs.com +1 (630) 979 7338

William W. Woodfill

Aug 28, 2001, 4:38:05 PM8/28/01

Nick Danger wrote:

> As a candidate for the wackiest QP to date, I submit the following
> scenario:

[major snippage]

> Ed McMahon shows up at your front door and asks you to

> run into the house and be back with a game, any game, as fast as

> possible. C'mon now, Ed is

> waiting and the clock is running..... tick, tick, tick....

lucky me! it just so happens that my copy of Awful Green Things from Outer
Space is within an arm's reach of the front door.

Don Woods

Aug 28, 2001, 4:51:08 PM8/28/01
em...@nickdanger.com (Nick Danger) writes:
> what game do you think you bring out to Ed? In other words, what game do
> you think you could get your hands on the fastest

Easy. Dash straight back across the living room to the coffee table
on which I keep about 50 games for easy access. Since the games are
generally stacked with the smaller boxes on top, I'd probably end up
with something like Lost Cities or Wyatt Earp or Space Beans or ...

It's probably actually a shorter distance to take a side trip to the
hall closet where I keep another batch of less popular games, but
that wouldn't be a straight path, and I'd have to reach up to pull a
game off the shelf, so it would take longer. Plus I might goof and
grab a jigsaw puzzle or some other non-game item that way. And for
this sort of money, it's not as though I'd care what game I was
giving away; I can always buy a new one! (Well, as long as I don't
grab Discretion. Those can be hard to find!)

-- Don.

Geenius at Wrok

Aug 28, 2001, 4:57:40 PM8/28/01
On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Nick Danger wrote:

> Here's where the quick poll comes in... going from memory (unless you
> really want to take the time to look around the house for this waste
> of time exercise) what game do you think you bring out to Ed? In
> other words, what game do you think you could get your hands on the
> fastest and get outside with to lose the least amount of money? Could
> you have been lucky enough to have left El Grande sitting on the
> living room sofa? Perhaps there's a deck of Bohnanza on the kitchen
> table? Or do you have to run to the gaming safe, and if so what game
> do you think is sitting closest to the door? A standard deck of cards
> does NOT count.

This is where I'm grateful to be keeping all my games in a Murphy bed
closet with two different doors, one of which faces the front door.
Beeline! :-)

--
"There is no greater joy for me than to find, on self-examination,
that I am true to myself." -- Mencius

Nathan Sanders

Aug 28, 2001, 5:04:17 PM8/28/01
On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Nick Danger wrote:

> Here's where the quick poll comes in... going from memory (unless you
> really want to take the time to look around the house for this waste
> of time exercise) what game do you think you bring out to Ed? In

On my kitchen table is the Survivor CCG. Unfortunately, it's open, with
the cards in various piles. It'd take too much time to gather it up.

That leaves the game closet in the hall, which is closer than the kitchen
table, but awkward to open in a time crunch (the door swings open towards
the front door, blocking the hallway!). In there are bunches and bunches
of games, but most likely I would grab Fluxx or Frank's Zoo, since
they're sitting in the front of a shelf and are small.

Nathan

san...@ling.ucsc.edu ***** Department of Linguistics
san...@alum.mit.edu *** University of California
http://ling.ucsc.edu/~sanders * Santa Cruz, California 95064

Nick Danger

Aug 28, 2001, 5:16:10 PM8/28/01
On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:57:40 -0500, Geenius at Wrok wrote:

>This is where I'm grateful to be keeping all my games in a Murphy bed
>closet with two different doors, one of which faces the front door.
>Beeline! :-)

Ah, but what game becomes the easiest to grab from the closet and fly
back to Ed with? Aerodynamics may come into play here!

Nick Danger

Aug 28, 2001, 5:19:20 PM8/28/01
On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 14:04:17 -0700, Nathan Sanders wrote:

>That leaves the game closet in the hall, which is closer than the kitchen
>table, but awkward to open in a time crunch (the door swings open towards
>the front door, blocking the hallway!).

I picture you grabbing the game, trying to get back around the door
with precious seconds ticking away and getting wrapped up in the door,
tripping, smacking your head into the wall and knocking yourself out.

The paramedics show up and you're there half conscious clinging to a
pack of Flux cards and mumbling something about Ed McMahon! :-)

Jonathan R. Ferro

Aug 28, 2001, 5:28:11 PM8/28/01
"Nick" == Nick Danger <em...@nickdanger.com> writes:
> Here's where the quick poll comes in... going from memory (unless you
> really want to take the time to look around the house for this waste
> of time exercise) what game do you think you bring out to Ed? In
> other words, what game do you think you could get your hands on the
> fastest and get outside with to lose the least amount of money? Could
> you have been lucky enough to have left El Grande sitting on the
> living room sofa? Perhaps there's a deck of Bohnanza on the kitchen
> table? Or do you have to run to the gaming safe, and if so what game
> do you think is sitting closest to the door? A standard deck of cards
> does NOT count.

Either Loopin' Louie or Abenteuere Tierwelt is on the top of the
easy-access-when-leaving-to-visit-friends pile in the front hall, I
forget exactly which. $97K.

-- Jon

JOHND424

Aug 28, 2001, 5:45:12 PM8/28/01
I would have to give him that damn copy of mille bornes sitting in the book
case. My wife loves to play it, me, I'm sick of it. So here you go Ed, one copy
of some frickin french card game.

Jim Bolland

Aug 28, 2001, 5:46:37 PM8/28/01
Since there are always a few games left out on the dining room table
(who eats there? we eat in the kitchen!) and it is a mere 5 feet from
the front door, I'd probably make it in 3 seconds, no 5 seconds - the
storm door is a bear! (Stand back Ed! I'm going in!) Today the game
would be Tikal, Safari Jack, or Lord of the Fries Delux, preferably one
of the last two for speed reasons.

Jim

Icarus

Aug 28, 2001, 5:51:45 PM8/28/01

Nick Danger wrote:
Could
> you have been lucky enough to have left El Grande sitting on the
> living room sofa?

heh. My bookshelf, with the games we are currently playing the most in
our gaming group, is approximately 6 feet from the front door. I could
have any number of games chosen and lose no more than 3 grand =)

icarus

Icarus

Aug 28, 2001, 5:49:24 PM8/28/01

Nick Danger wrote:

> While that might get you an "A" for effort, it's not a "real" game.
> It would be like playing rocks, paper, scissors with him. He would
> disallow the homemade game. I know this as Ed and I are real tight!

Bad form! I call shenanigans. You're original post said "a game, ANY
game" (emphasis mine).

Or is this silly little poll a form of Calvinball where you can change
the rules? ;)

icarus

Nick Danger

Aug 28, 2001, 7:55:09 PM8/28/01
On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 21:49:24 GMT, Icarus wrote:

>Or is this silly little poll a form of Calvinball where you can change
>the rules? ;)

Most definitely! My poll, my fake bank roll, my rules!! ;-P

--
тёу Nick For Whimsical Boardgame Banter:

EYE of NiGHT

Aug 28, 2001, 8:34:02 PM8/28/01
On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 19:29:26 GMT, em...@nickdanger.com (Nick Danger)
wrote:

>As a candidate for the wackiest QP to date, I submit the following
>scenario:
>
>Ed McMahon shows up at your front door

Who he?

. In fact, for each second it takes you to arrive back on the
>stoop one thousand dollars will be subtracted from your booty.

Bummer. All my games are upstairs! I could grab anything DDW,
Settlers, Freibueter, Drunter, Klunker, Ra, Chinatown, Tikal in
seconds, its just the running up and down stairs that would costs me.

Now if I paint the ceiling in the dining room and get the new carpet
in, put up the IKEA units and have my best games on display
downstairs, I would save several valuable seconds....

++++++++
Visit Tragsnart!
www.tragsnart.co.uk/eye/home.htm

Game Surplus

Aug 28, 2001, 9:00:21 PM8/28/01
My easiest access game is usually Schotten-Totten. It is usually on top of
my box of small card games which is alway available in the living room. (It
is on top, since I can often get my wife to play a game during the week.) I
guess I'd earn about $93K on that. Not as fast as some of you, but quicker
than most of America I'd guess.

Please tell Ed to stop over soon.

Al
==========================
Game Surplus
http://www.gamesurplus.com
ga...@gamesurplus.com

Be sure to sign up for our newsletter for news on new releases and special
savings opportunities.

"Nick Danger" <em...@nickdanger.com> wrote in message

Geenius at Wrok

Aug 28, 2001, 11:10:00 PM8/28/01
On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Nick Danger wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:57:40 -0500, Geenius at Wrok wrote:
>
> >This is where I'm grateful to be keeping all my games in a Murphy bed
> >closet with two different doors, one of which faces the front door.
> >Beeline! :-)
>
> Ah, but what game becomes the easiest to grab from the closet and fly
> back to Ed with? Aerodynamics may come into play here!

Whatever's on the top shelf just inside that door. Off the top of my
head, I think it's a chess set, or maybe shogi.

The real problem for me is the distance between the front door of the
building and my apartment door. Luckily, I'm right at the top of the
first flight of steps, but there's still a whole lobby to go through.

The Maverick

Aug 28, 2001, 11:43:54 PM8/28/01
Nick Danger wrote:

> Here's where the quick poll comes in...

aka ASP... ;-)

> In
> other words, what game do you think you could get your hands on the
> fastest and get outside with to lose the least amount of money?

Hornet Leader is at the end of the bookshelf by the door... but I'd
reach an extra few inches and grab Risk instead.

the Mav

--

"Never give up -- never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Tim Shippert

Aug 29, 2001, 1:30:26 PM8/29/01
Big Head Zach <b...@polter.net> writes:

>> Here's where the quick poll comes in... going from memory (unless you
>> really want to take the time to look around the house for this waste
>> of time exercise) what game do you think you bring out to Ed?

>I pull 10-11 business cards out of my pocket/wallet, write WEREWOLF on two

>of them, and SEER on another, and hand him a handmade copy of Les Loups
>Garoux.

It would take me longer to find a working pen than a game in my
house.

--
Tim Shippert ship...@alumni.caltech.edu

Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

The Iron Fox

Aug 28, 2001, 7:27:15 PM8/28/01
Risk 2210 left on the cocktail table after a late Saturday/early Sunday
game.

3 steps from Ed's grinning puss!

The Iron Fox

"Nick Danger" <em...@nickdanger.com> wrote in message

> As a candidate for the wackiest QP to date, I submit the following
> scenario:
>

> Ed McMahon shows up at your front door ........................
<<SNIP>>

David R L Porter

Sep 3, 2001, 5:51:47 AM9/3/01
Our cottage in rural Hampshire, England is so tiny that *all* my
games are within easy reach of the front door (just as all my books
are bedside books ....)

I noticed yesterday that a copy of Gibson's Sherlock Holmes card game
is sitting in a cupboard in our sitting room downstaits. I should be
able to grab that for Ed in about 20 seconds ....

--
Best wishes,

David
david....@zetnet.co.uk