Never played Backgammon- want to learn, videos? books? which is best for total beginner

KOS

May 15, 2005, 7:17:16 PM5/15/05
Hi, I just got a backgammon set for a present. I would really like to
learn to play,- I have never played before.

I have checked for online tuturials but havent found anything that
helpful. What is the best way to learn? can someone recommend an
excellent tutorial, books? or even videos?

Thanks
KOS

sbger

May 15, 2005, 10:31:30 PM5/15/05
backgammon galore - rules & many other informations:

http://www.bkgm.com/rules.html

chicago point - general informations & great linklist:

http://www.chicagopoint.com/links.html

gnu bg - free software under gnu license:

http://www.gnubg.org/

learn the rules and try to play against gnu bg. practice will bring you
forward. try online games if you´re interested. there are a lot of
them (gamesgrid, clubgames, fibs, ...) there you can play against human
which could help you, if you have any questions (or ask here).

Greetings

S.B.

Grunty

May 15, 2005, 11:01:00 PM5/15/05

Michael Crane

May 16, 2005, 3:34:19 AM5/16/05

324

May 16, 2005, 8:26:27 PM5/16/05
go to a local club if you have one you ll meet people who share the
same interests.

if you can invest in a annual subscribstion i recommand gammonvillage
(trice and saxe articles are great materials for learning).
welcome in the world of backgammon

mwse...@yahoo.com

May 17, 2005, 4:54:47 PM5/17/05
Don't learn by watching "Octopussy". :)

mwse...@yahoo.com

May 17, 2005, 5:12:22 PM5/17/05
In all seriousness, I learned a lot from book study, online play, and
play against GNU Backgammon. There are no clubs in my area, so
face-to-face play isn't easy. Whatever you do, have GNU analyze your
games -- it'll point out errors you made, and hopefully change the way
you play.

Pro and con arguments aside, I have the following books in my library:

"Beginning Backgammon", Tim Holland
"Better Backgammon", Tim Holland
"Backgammon for People who Hate to Lose", Tim Holland
"Backgammon for Serious Players", Bill Robertie
"501 Essential Backgammon Problems", Bill Robertie
"Advanced Backgammon", volumes I & II, Bill Robertie
"Starting Out in Backgammon", Paul Lamford
"Improving your Backgammon", Paul Lamford
"100 Backgammon Puzzles", Paul Lamford
"Paradoxes and Probabilities", Barclay Cooke
"Barr on Backgammon", Ted Barr
"The Backgammon Book", Crawford and Jacoby

...and probably some others I can't remember right off the top of my
head. The books by Paul Lamford and Bill Robertie can be had for cheap
at places like Overstock.com.

A lot of books came out during the backgammon boom of the 70's. How do
you know what ones are good? Personally, I only buy books by authors
that were acknowledged experts. For example, Tim Holland won a string
of titles, national and international. Bill Robertie has won a couple
of international titles, among others. Crawford and Jacoby were
excellent players in their day, influential experts who have two rules
named after them.

There's one other book I have that I can't really recommend. It
espouses strategies that are pure suicide across the board, but is an
entertaining read. I got it for the novelty value (mint first edition
hardcover). It is, of course, the notorious:

"Backgammon for Blood!", Bruce Becker

Matt

May 23, 2005, 6:52:33 PM5/23/05
Hi. Matt from GammonEmpire here. (www.GammonEMpire.com)

In the next 7-14 days we're releasing our new Backgammon School feature
which will teach players of ALL levels how to play by having a computer
bot as your instructor. From beginner, through intermediate to expert,
everyone can learn how to play basic & advanced moves, then utilize
what they learnt when playing against others.
-Matt