Christian Freeling

Mark Steere

Oct 31, 2010, 1:31:22 PM10/31/10
"Byg, Symple, etc. are based on an unstable, divergent principle. If
they're in the same class as Go Moku, only worse, which I strongly
suspect, advancing skill will always be accompanied by advanced
tweaking of the balancing rule set. Your special balancing rule, the
Nagasaki of Symple, makes the the pie rule look like a firecracker in
comparison."

Christian has requested a change in venue for his topic in the Arimaa
forum. I think the preceding was my last comment on the subtopic of
Symple.

Jackspritz

Oct 31, 2010, 6:48:55 PM10/31/10

Mark your 4 o'clock with Sharp Ant Incisors is here, shall I send it
in?

Mark Steere

Oct 31, 2010, 7:27:47 PM10/31/10
On Oct 31, 3:48 pm, Jackspritz <schackow...@live.com> wrote:

> Mark your 4 o'clock with Sharp Ant Incisors is here, shall I send it
> in?

Right on schedule, Corey. This just in from the Symple rule sheet:

"Note: In the first version of the game the 'group penalty' was set at
2 rather than 4, which leads to the possibility of..."

The slippery Christian tried to sneak this update into the rule sheet
when he *thought* nobody was looking. I *knew* it wouldn't be long
before the tweaking began, though I didn't know it would be this
quick. I get tired of being right all the time.

Christian promised to make an appearance here *after* posting to the
all important bgg, but I couldn't wait. This is the Nagasaki of
Symple:

"There's one exception to the above. If, and only if, neither player
has grown yet, then black on his turn may use both the above options
in the above order: he may place a stone, therewith creating a new
group, and he may grow any or all of his other (!) groups."

Bye bye aesthetics - what was left after the calculator requirement
Hiroshima, that is.

Mark Steere

Nov 1, 2010, 10:03:52 AM11/1/10
Clark, I was trying to attract a noteworthy designer to the group, but
now you've scared him off with your barnyard diplomacy, predictably.
Christian is not like you, someone with one interesting game. Ralf
Gering has one interesting game. A lot of designers have one
interesting game.

I'm starting another topic for Christian, since you've sabotaged this
one. Can you please stay out of the new topic, at least until
Christian has had a chance to post there?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mark Steere

Nov 1, 2010, 8:56:13 PM11/1/10
Clark, you have one interesting game - Particle Bond. Canvas hit the
canvas, as we all remember, and Ki is the game you wouldn't shut up
about until you finally admitted privately that it's bullshit. That's
all you've got. You're like Gering with the psuedo-eminence.

You were talking to me recently about "passing the torch." The torch
isn't something that gets passed. The torch is something you take,
and boy you've got a lot of taking to do.

Jackspritz

Nov 2, 2010, 3:43:36 AM11/2/10

This is one for the databanks. I have one interesting game as far as
you're concerned, not just one interesting game in total. See there's
a difference, one's bullshit, the other isn't objective but at least
it takes into account the opinion of a bunch of people who actually
describe my games as "interesting". At least 4 people mentioned that
they really like Ki, I just found it to be surprisingly simplistic. I
don't have the slightest regret about that design, it's what great
design is all about, boiling the elements down into a singular idea.
Maybe it's not that fun compared to Go I dunno but it has a quality of
elegance. It's a really beautiful game, I can accept a cold reception
because it's a game that's almost purely design interest and people
like making huge captures, something Ki doesn't offer. I already
mentioned that I don't think Canvas is a bad game either, it just has
no reference point, it doesn't fit into my design agenda and it really
was just some fucking around in the sandbox. And now I have
Radiolarians a game which Vit555 on iggc found so fascinating he
introduced Arty and another user to it without me even realizing it.
Give me 20 years working with the same level of productivity I am now
and we'll see which category I fall under. "Pinch Hitter" Steven
Meyers with such famous offerings as Trellis (Quax with the diagonals
already filled), Anchor (draw susceptible), Orbit (draw susceptible)
and Forms, sure doesn't seem very active these days *Steve? You here
buddy? We need you to make another Draw susceptible Star-like game*.
Give me a break.... I'll be taking that *grabs torch*

marks...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2010, 9:44:04 AM11/2/10

On 2-Nov-2010, Jackspritz <schac...@live.com> wrote:

> On Nov 1, 6:56 pm, Mark Steere <markste...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The torch is something you take,
> > and boy you've got a lot of taking to do.
>

> At least 4 people mentioned that they really like Ki,

OMG!!!

> Give me 20 years working with the same level of productivity I am now
> and we'll see which category I fall under.

You got it. Meanwhile, can you stfu about Ki? Nobody wants to hear it.

> Give me a break.... I'll be taking that *grabs torch*

rofl, I can't stay mad at you, Clark. You make me laugh.

marks...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2010, 12:46:57 PM11/2/10

On 1-Nov-2010, Jackspritz <schac...@live.com> wrote:

> Cage, a year old game
> that was born out of a completely misguided idea

Designing Cage caliber game would be a good first step in your twenty year
quest for the "torch".

Jackspritz

Nov 2, 2010, 7:40:48 PM11/2/10
On Nov 2, 10:46 am, markste...@gmail.com wrote:
> Designing Cage caliber game would be a good first step in your twenty year
> quest for the "torch".

Another one? Fine, I'll see if I can squeeze it in after supper. We're
setting the bar pretty low here.

> At least 4 people mentioned that they really like Ki,

On Nov 2, 10:46 am, markste...@gmail.com wrote:
> OMG!!!!

Which is more than I can say for Cage. Besides Schultz, who expressed
an interest in Cage hmm? I guess Aaron Dalton programmed it on his
site but that doesn't tell me a whole lot. Two Cage enthusiasts and
one programmer interested in implementing it, that's the very
reception Canvas received and I haven't said a single thing about that
game on this site. It wasn't me who recommended Ki for implementation
on iggc either, that was Shachtelhalm. My games practically promote
themselves!

>You got it. Meanwhile, can you stfu about Ki? Nobody wants to hear it.

What gives you the idea nobody wants to hear it? You don't want to
hear it but like I give a fuck. Apparently other people do want to
hear about it, a lot of people are interested in it. Tell you what,
you stfu about Cage, a game approaching its half-life and I'll stfu
about Ki, a game which I was pretty silent about to begin with.

marks...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2010, 8:19:53 PM11/2/10

On 2-Nov-2010, Jackspritz <schac...@live.com> wrote:

> My games practically promote themselves!

No doubt.