A sudoku game with difficult puzzles

sudoku9981

Dec 7, 2006, 10:59:05 PM12/7/06
Sudoku 9981 is a Sudoku puzzle game for Windows,with the color marking
function and specific method to control candidate number,you can use
the advanced techniques of sudoku more conveniently.

You can create, play, print,and solve Sudoku puzzles. Sudoku 9981 has
unlimited puzzles for you to play, or you can copy puzzles from
newspapers and magazines.
You can also open many more grids from the Internet. The program will
help you out when you get stuck as some of the features included are:
automatically generate
possible number notes; solve puzzle; highlight where you went
wrong.Comprise function of displaying Singles Candidature, Branch
function and color panel function,
which are helpful for your using advanced techniques to solve Sudoku
puzzles.

Download:
http://www.download.com/Sudoku-9981/3000-2111-10600544.html?part=dl-S...

See also:
http://www.sudoku9981.com

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2006, 7:44:31 AM12/8/06
F Sudoku.

Don Woods

Dec 8, 2006, 6:42:25 PM12/8/06
"marks...@gmail.com" <marks...@gmail.com> writes:
> F Sudoku.

Me, I'm lukewarm to sudoku; I find them repetitive, but they can
be a fine way to warm up my brain for other things, or a way to
kill a few minutes (or longer, for difficult ones) in waiting rooms
or the like. Analysing how to solve them can be interesting at a
meta-level.

However, they're most certainly not "games". They are puzzles.
Like other puzzles, you could consider them to be solitaire games,
though I would propose a definition where a puzzle, where a solution
is guaranteed to exist and you're just trying to find it, is not a
game. Shuffling a deck of cards and then trying to reach a winning
position according to some set of rules, but you don't know if it
can be done, is a solitaire game.

So though I think Mark's reaction is a bit over the top, I would have
to agree that the original post is off-topic for the groups to which
it was posted. Which raises the question: can a game -- for two or
more players -- be derived from sudoku? For instance, consider a
game where players start with an empty 9x9 grid, or perhaps one with
a few digits filled in, and on your turn you can do one of three
things:

1) fill in another digit
2) assert that the grid defines a unique sudoku solution
3) assert that the grid no longer permits any sudoku solution

It's sort of like playing "ghost" or Lairs Dice or other such games,
where you have to raise or challenge. Checking the assertion could
be done easily by computer. Would sudoku-lovers enjoy such a game?

-- Don.

-- Don Woods (don...@iCynic.com) Note: If you reply by mail, I'll get to
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don it sooner if you remove the "hyphen n s"

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

Dec 8, 2006, 9:37:01 PM12/8/06

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Don Woods wrote:

> "marks...@gmail.com" <marks...@gmail.com> writes:
>> F Sudoku.

[...]

> So though I think Mark's reaction is a bit over the top,

I don't. :)

> For instance, consider a
> game where players start with an empty 9x9 grid, or perhaps one with
> a few digits filled in, and on your turn you can do one of three
> things:
>
> 1) fill in another digit
> 2) assert that the grid defines a unique sudoku solution
> 3) assert that the grid no longer permits any sudoku solution
>

> It's sort of like playing "ghost" or Liars Dice or other such games,

> where you have to raise or challenge. Checking the assertion could
> be done easily by computer. Would sudoku-lovers enjoy such a game?

Not that exact game, but something very similar, is already being
played on Richard's PBeM Server:
http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv/sudoku.html

The rule there is that you can't play a duplicate digit in the same
row, column, or cell; but you can create a situation in which no
valid Sudoku is possible anymore, and still not lose.

-Arthur

Savage Lizard

Dec 9, 2006, 10:33:09 PM12/9/06
"Don Woods" <don...@iCynic.com> wrote in message

> "marks...@gmail.com" <marks...@gmail.com> writes:
>> F Sudoku.
>
> Me, I'm lukewarm to sudoku; I find them repetitive, but they can
> be a fine way to warm up my brain for other things, or a way to
> kill a few minutes (or longer, for difficult ones) in waiting rooms
> or the like. Analysing how to solve them can be interesting at a
> meta-level.

I just find it funny that those puzzles have been around forever in
crossword mags, but nobody gave a shit. Then, you slap a Japanese name on
it and tell everyone it's the latest craze, and look what happens.

Savage Lizard

Ed Murphy

Dec 10, 2006, 3:15:02 AM12/10/06
Savage Lizard wrote:

> I just find it funny that those puzzles have been around forever in
> crossword mags, but nobody gave a shit. Then, you slap a Japanese name on
> it and tell everyone it's the latest craze, and look what happens.

IOW "I was doing them before they were cool". Ditto kakuro.

Christopher Dearlove

Dec 11, 2006, 10:29:12 AM12/11/06
In message
<Pine.LNX.4.61-042....@unix31.andrew.cmu.edu>, Arthur J.
O'Dwyer <ajon...@andrew.cmu.edu> writes

> Not that exact game, but something very similar, is already being
>played on Richard's PBeM Server:
>http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv/sudoku.html
>
>The rule there is that you can't play a duplicate digit in the same
>row, column, or cell; but you can create a situation in which no
>valid Sudoku is possible anymore, and still not lose.

This in turn is similar to (but not identical to) Reiner Knizia's first
Sudoku
game, where however you don't have a choice of number, and score
according to how constrained your play was.

(Put r.g.b back.)

--
Christopher Dearlove

The Qurqirish Dragon

Dec 11, 2006, 12:06:36 PM12/11/06

Number Place and Cross Sums forever!

Actually, since the Number Place puzzles that I have been doing in Dell
puzzle books for who-knows-how-long don't have the symmetry
requirement, Sudoku are only a subset of that puzzle.

Not so with Kakuro vs. Cross-Sums; they actually are identical puzzles,
other than the name.