r.g.a Stacking Contest

Daniel S.

Dec 21, 2010, 12:02:25 PM12/21/10
Hey All!

Rule:
1. Stacking as part of the mechanism

Winner:
...gets a full honest review of their game by the individual
participants on their game's BGG entry.

We can figure out voting, deadline and whatever else I'm forgetting
later. I gotta run. I just wanted to put it out there.
[inspired of course by Nick's contest. Thanks Nick!]

This could be really cool. Any thoughts?

Daniel

ps. Stop being dickheads. There are only so many abstract
enthusiasts in the world and even less places where they congregate.
Plus I don't want to have to dive into an 80 reply thread to find
stuff which relates to the original topic. It's annoying. If you're
gonna rant (like I currently am) at least add something in your post
which adds something to the topic. I'm not a moderator, babysitter,
fight resolver, etc... On the other hand, I love that this forum is
not moderated! Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing. Look at
wikileaks :). Anyhow... I gotta run... shit. :D

[might regret the ps, but pfff...]

Daniel

christian

Dec 21, 2010, 12:36:03 PM12/21/10

I'm in :)

christian

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2010, 1:29:46 PM12/21/10

On 21-Dec-2010, "Daniel S." <anti...@me.com> wrote:

> Rule:
> 1. Stacking as part of the mechanism

Sounds good. Can't guarantee I'll come up with anything, but...

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2010, 1:33:58 PM12/21/10
I will not enter a vote for my own game, so let's get that settled up front.

christian

Dec 21, 2010, 2:11:22 PM12/21/10
On Dec 21, 7:33 pm, markste...@gmail.com wrote:
> I will not enter a vote for my own game, so let's get that settled up front.

Ok, you will not vote for your own game, that's settled ;-)

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2010, 3:28:11 PM12/21/10

That was easy :) Now if I can only get the other contestants not to vote
for their own games, we'll have a legitimate contest.

nate

Dec 21, 2010, 4:44:34 PM12/21/10
On Dec 21, 3:28 pm, markste...@gmail.com wrote:

How do we eliminate ties? This seems a drawish game.

- nate

nate

Dec 21, 2010, 4:50:02 PM12/21/10

> How do we eliminate ties?

I suggest we split our 1.000000000 vote up along the real number
line. However there must be a singular maximum awarded to 1
contestant or your ballot becomes a duplicate of the "previous"
voter's ballot, what that may be. You wont know who the "previous"
voter is, until all the posts around your time of post have arrived in
this group.

- nate

Daniel S.

Dec 22, 2010, 12:36:07 PM12/22/10
Rules and Conditions

Game Restrictions:
1. Stacking as part of the mechanism.
2. 2 players
3. Must be an Abstract aka no luck, hidden info, dexterity element
etc…
4. Must be a game not finished/released yet.
5. One entry per person

Allowances:
1. Concerning topology. Since we're not worried about an
implementation prize I say we crack this wide open. If it can't be
played in the iggc sandbox we can play it in google docs (or
somewhere else if someone has any suggestions) during the playing and
deciding phase.

Deadline:
Because of the holidays and because one is a date of significance to
me I'd like to make the deadline for the entry Feb 9th and the
deadline for the decision Feb 23rd. 3pm Berlin time for both dates.
All entrants into the contest are more than highly encouraged to vote.

Choosing a winner:
You can't vote for your own game. Ties will be resolved by voting
again between people tied for 1st. If there are still ties then… we
can fight about which game is better here (really this isn't my
expertise so I'm open to suggestions although I rather like this one
^_^ )

Prize:
Honest BGG full review of the winning game from each of the
participants.

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2010, 2:16:52 PM12/22/10

On 22-Dec-2010, "Daniel S." <anti...@me.com> wrote:

> Rules and Conditions
>
> Game Restrictions:
> 1. Stacking as part of the mechanism.
> 2. 2 players
> 3. Must be an Abstract aka no luck, hidden info, dexterity element
> etc…

No sand timers. No donkey tails.

> 4. Must be a game not finished/released yet.
> 5. One entry per person

Hmmm. Sometimes you go to invent one game and you end up inventing two. If
they aren't minor variants of each other, and the inventor can't objectively
decide which is "better", I don't see the harm in entering them both.

> Allowances:
> 1. Concerning topology. Since we're not worried about an
> implementation prize I say we crack this wide open. If it can't be
> played in the iggc sandbox we can play it in google docs (or
> somewhere else if someone has any suggestions) during the playing and
> deciding phase.

Yes, if you can set up a generic stacking game. This might be a tough phase
if it's either hard to create the document or manipulate it. I'm thinking
of possibly using a hex board. The only limit on how wide to crack it open
is that it should be playable in real life.

> Deadline:
> Because of the holidays and because one is a date of significance to
> me I'd like to make the deadline for the entry Feb 9th and the
> deadline for the decision Feb 23rd. 3pm Berlin time for both dates.

Everything in abstract games happens on a geological time scale so I don't
see any point in rushing the contest. For a me a month of design effort can
easily slip by with nothing to show for it. I think we'll have more games
and better games if we make it three months. Winter just started, so we
could make it first day of Spring. Plus I haven't even really started yet.
I have to reach over and replace my Hexboard Havannah board with a Toys R Us
checkerboard, and I'm not quite ready to do that yet. By the way,
Christian, you have some nice boards on your website. I think I'll order
some at some point.

> Prize:
> Honest BGG full review of the winning game from each of the
> participants.

Well, I never go on bgg, but the contest seems like an interesting diversion
since I'm developing a renewed interest in stacking games anyway. They're
hard to represent on a computer screen though, unfortunately.

-Mark

Mark Steere Games
http://www.marksteeregames.com

spielstein

Dec 22, 2010, 3:38:25 PM12/22/10
On 21 Dez., 18:02, "Daniel S." <antiw...@me.com> wrote:
> Hey All!
>
> Rule:
> 1.   Stacking as part of the mechanism

I think that means that the order of stacked pieces is relevant?

Anyway, I thought about a fourth stacking game for my "A"-trilogy for
some time now. I ended up with some half-finished designs ... I'll try
to dig them out now.

Dieter

christian

Dec 22, 2010, 5:39:36 PM12/22/10
On Dec 22, 9:38 pm, spielstein <spielst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 Dez., 18:02, "Daniel S." <antiw...@me.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey All!
>
> > Rule:
> > 1.   Stacking as part of the mechanism
>
> I think that means that the order of stacked pieces is relevant?

Not necessarily. Focus, Bashni, Emergo and Explocus all handle it
differently.

I got a nice mechanism for moving, but no decicion on the nature of
capture yet. So I can't breathe anything into it yet to give it life
and intent and make it an organism :)

spielstein

Dec 22, 2010, 6:12:09 PM12/22/10
> > I think that means that the order of stacked pieces is relevant?
>
> Not necessarily. Focus, Bashni, Emergo and Explocus all handle it
> differently.

Sure, but there is the notion of a prominent piece, other than in
Mancala games where you usually also have an amount of pieces sharing
one space, but no kind of immanent order.

> I got a nice mechanism for moving, but no decicion on the nature of
> capture yet.

So this could be a racing game ... ;)

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2010, 7:52:43 PM12/22/10

On 22-Dec-2010, spielstein <spiel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I ended up with some half-finished designs ... I'll try
> to dig them out now.

Jeez, don't put yourself out, Dieter. How about something fresh for the
contest?

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2010, 9:55:49 PM12/22/10

On 22-Dec-2010, "Daniel S." <anti...@me.com> wrote:

> 4. Must be a game not finished/released yet.

Must not be a minor variation of an existing game from the same designer.
Instances of that would be disappointing, anti-climactic, totally deflating,
boring, and not worthy of a positive score.

Let's make this a symphony of fresh ideas. Not a potluck of lukewarm
rehashes.

Daniel S.

Dec 22, 2010, 10:05:16 PM12/22/10
Mark,
Deadline - First of spring due date is alright by me. That would be
March 20th.
**Any other deadline date preferences anyone?
Entries - I see no harm in having multiple entries. I was just
thinking that there might be a lot of games to test for the vote and I
had a hunch that Christian could bust out 20 or so in a week ;P
Topology - "The only limit on how wide to crack it open is that it
should be playable in real life." Sounds good. I guess I would add
that you can stray from the norm 'at your own risk'. Meaning that if
you're gonna use some crazy rhombic dodecahedron stacking you'd best
have a program that we can all use to play it on or it might not get
tested. I wouldn't reject an entry on this condition though, I'd be
way to curious for one thing :). It'd just be hard to get votes for
something nobody can play.

Dieter,
I see no problem with pulling out unfinished work. If a contest can
motivate finishing something then I'm all for it.
About the stacking I guess you're right! I never thought of it that
way, but I suppose a stacking game would need to distinguish itself
from a game where there's a pool of something having an arbitrary
position such as a mancala game or a territorial majority.
**Any other thoughts on stacking definition? I wasn't expecting this.
Günter says hello btw. I work with him at the Spielwiese boardgames
cafe. I was really surprised to see his name on one of your design
pages at BGG!

spielstein

Dec 23, 2010, 2:30:48 AM12/23/10
On Dec 23, 1:52 am, markste...@gmail.com wrote:

> On 22-Dec-2010, spielstein <spielst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I ended up with some half-finished designs ... I'll try
> > to dig them out now.
>
> Jeez, don't put yourself out, Dieter.  How about something fresh for the
> contest?

I think you're right, Mark. Most likely, these old game zombies will
never work.

spielstein

Dec 23, 2010, 2:50:19 AM12/23/10
Hi Daniel,

> I see no problem with pulling out unfinished work.  If a contest can
> motivate finishing something then I'm all for it.

In the end it would be something new for the audience either way :)

> About the stacking I guess you're right!  I never thought of it that
> way, but I suppose a stacking game would need to distinguish itself
> from a game where there's a pool of something having an arbitrary
> position such as a mancala game or a territorial majority.

Ok.

> **Any other thoughts on stacking definition?  I wasn't expecting this.

No more constraints, please. An idea strikes me right now...

> Günter says hello btw.  I work with him at the Spielwiese boardgames
> cafe.  I was really surprised to see his name on one of your design
> pages at BGG!

Ahh, this is the good ol' Bambusspiele "tactic blue" box... so you
know Günter? :) It's a small world ... well, it's Berlin, am I right?

Dieter

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2010, 4:00:39 AM12/23/10

On 22-Dec-2010, spielstein <spiel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No more constraints, please.

Maybe even remove an existing constraint. Just a suggestion: Stacking
requires checkers, and checkers are designed to slide on checkerboards as
well as stack on them. To me, stacking games and sliding games with stacks
of height one are closely related. How about allowing games such as Cage,
Clobber, LOA, Konane, etc?

If that's getting too far away from stacking games, no problem. Just a
suggestion for broadening the range of possibilities.

christian

Dec 23, 2010, 5:53:36 AM12/23/10
On Dec 23, 12:12 am, spielstein <spielst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I think that means that the order of stacked pieces is relevant?
>
> > Not necessarily. Focus, Bashni, Emergo and Explocus all handle it
> > differently.
>
> Sure, but there is the notion of a prominent piece, other than in
> Mancala games where you usually also have an amount of pieces sharing
> one space, but no kind of immanent order.

Well, I forgot Pilare. In Pilare there are checkers and the mechanism
is closely related to Mancals's.

> > I got a nice mechanism for moving, but no decicion on the nature of
> > capture yet.
>
> So this could be a racing game ... ;)

Never thought of that :) ... but as it is I'm aiming at elimination
and 'soft finitude' as in, say, Focus. Good to have a plan B though.

christian

Dec 23, 2010, 5:58:08 AM12/23/10
On Dec 23, 10:00 am, markste...@gmail.com wrote:

> If that's getting too far away from stacking games, no problem.  Just a
> suggestion for broadening the range of possibilities.

Yes, no stacking would get it too far from stacking games I
feel ... ;-)

Come to think of it, have a look at Breakthrough ... the other
Breakthrough :)
http://mindsports.nl/index.php/the-pit/breakthrough-517

It's yet another 'stacking application'.

christian

Dec 23, 2010, 6:56:49 AM12/23/10
On Dec 23, 11:58 am, christian <christ...@mindsports.nl> wrote:
> It's yet another 'stacking application'.

Come to think of it, it _is_ a race game :)

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2010, 10:26:55 AM12/23/10

On 23-Dec-2010, christian <chri...@mindsports.nl> wrote:

> Yes, no stacking would get it too far from stacking games I
> feel ... ;-)

Ok, no worries :)

spielstein

Dec 24, 2010, 3:59:01 AM12/24/10
Here's a geeklist I created some years ago:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2246/stacking-games

It also includes Jenga, but apart from that, a nice collection of
(mainly abstract) stacking games.

Dieter

christian

Dec 24, 2010, 6:17:52 AM12/24/10

Nice list, here are some additions:

1. Bashni.
http://www.iggamecenter.com/info/en/bashni.html
2. Emergo.
http://www.iggamecenter.com/info/en/emergo.html
Bashni is the original stacking game based on Shashki (Russian
Checkers). Lasker in turn used the idea to make Lasca, which is the
same principle applied to Anglo-American Checkers.
Emergo is not a track but a pit - it does away with an initial
position, direction and promotion and uses an entering procedure that
fits the mechanism like a glove.
Since I invented Emergo, I would like to ask you to to consult
Benedikt Rosenau about these two. He's a leading expert on Bashni, and
column checkers variants in general.

3. Crossfire.
http://mindsports.nl/index.php/the-pit/crossfire-525
Not all that important, basically 'hexfocus', but if you read the
rules you'll find a significant difference: In Focus the 'ceiling' is
a stack of 5. In Crossfire the ceiling of a stack equals the number of
adjacent cells of the cell it occupies. This has far reaching
strategical consequences, since large stacks can be aimed at 'low
capacity' cells, redering large captures and numbers of reserves. It
provides fixed targets in a notoriously 'fluid' mechanism.

4. Explocus.
http://mindsports.nl/index.php/the-pit/explocus-527
Explocus was invented by dutch game designer Martin Medema. It is
probably the most capricious one of the bunch.

5. Breakthrough.
http://mindsports.nl/index.php/the-pit/breakthrough-517
A nice tactical race game based on an adaption of the 'explosion
mechanism' that also powers Explocus, and that in itself came from a
stacking game called 'Explosion' that was published in the English
"Games & Puzzles" magazine somewhere in the early to mid seventies.

christian

christian

Dec 24, 2010, 6:21:48 AM12/24/10
On Dec 24, 12:17 pm, christian <christ...@mindsports.nl> wrote:

I forgot Pilare:
http://mindsports.nl/index.php/the-pit/pilare-547
Here's the intro at mindsports:

"Pilare is a board game designed by Basque game author Jorge Gómez
Arrausi. It won a proxime accessit award in the games creation contest
of Tona, 2005.
Arrausi is arguably the best human Lines of Action (LOA) player of the
world. He lives in Basuri near Bilbao. Pilare is a 'stacking game',
which resembles mancala games since pieces are sown in a mancala-like
manner. On the other hand, it has a certain affinity with other
elimination games that employ stacks or columns, like Focus and
Explocus."

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2010, 9:25:47 AM12/24/10

On 24-Dec-2010, christian <chri...@mindsports.nl> wrote:

> On Dec 24, 9:59 am, spielstein <spielst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Here's a geeklist I created some years ago:
> > http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2246/stacking-games
>

> Nice list, here are some additions:
>
> 1. Bashni.

> 2. Emergo.
> 3. Crossfire.
> 4. Explocus.
> 5. Breakthrough.
> I forgot Pilare:

Bashni, Emergo, Crossfire and Pilare are already on the list, as are my own:

1. Dipole
http://www.marksteeregames.com/Dipole_rules.pdf
2. Byte
http://www.marksteeregames.com/Byte_rules.pdf

But not on the list are:

3. Colonnade
http://www.marksteeregames.com/Colonnade_rules.pdf
4. Impasse
http://www.marksteeregames.com/Impasse_rules.pdf

Well, I guess that about does it for existing stacking games. Glad we got
that out of the way ;D

Daniel S.

Dec 24, 2010, 9:51:03 AM12/24/10
> Well, I guess that about does it for existing stacking games.  Glad we got
> that out of the way  ;D

not quite :)

Two of my favorite stacking games:
Chroma - which is based on the Four-Color Theorem
http://www.cameronius.com/games/chroma/
Boche - http://www.cameronius.com/games/boche/

I guess Akron would also be a stacking game:
http://www.cameronius.com/games/akron/

Do you know if anyone has written a book on stacking games? It's
looking pretty vast with fairly open parameters. Connection Games did
a good job of analyzing that genre of games. It would be great to see
someone undertake this behemoth.

christian

Dec 24, 2010, 10:56:03 AM12/24/10
On Dec 24, 3:51 pm, "Daniel S." <antiw...@me.com> wrote:
> > Well, I guess that about does it for existing stacking games.  Glad we got
> > that out of the way  ;D
>
> not quite :)
>
> Two of my favorite stacking games:
> Chroma - which is based on the Four-Color Theoremhttp://www.cameronius.com/games/chroma/
> Boche -http://www.cameronius.com/games/boche/

> I guess Akron would also be a stacking game:http://www.cameronius.com/games/akron/
>
> Do you know if anyone has written a book on stacking games?  It's
> looking pretty vast with fairly open parameters.  Connection Games did
> a good job of analyzing that genre of games.  It would be great to see
> someone undertake this behemoth.

We can accumulate them here and in Dieter's geeklist, if he would be
so kind. I read it rather sloppy obviously, not noticing that Bashni,
Emergo, Crossfire and Pilare were already in there :(

Anyway, there's a couple to follow, following the contest. My entry is
ready, came together nicely too. It's called "SOAR", but it'll be
after new year when I publish, because I want it to be accompanied by
Ed's applet, and he's away for the holidays.

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2010, 11:22:43 AM12/24/10

On 24-Dec-2010, christian <chri...@mindsports.nl> wrote:

> I read it rather sloppy obviously, not noticing that Bashni,
> Emergo, Crossfire and Pilare were already in there :(

No worries, Christian :D Just pulling your leg.

> My entry is ready,

Omg, what's the hurry? :) We've still got three months.

christian

Dec 24, 2010, 11:26:54 AM12/24/10
On Dec 24, 5:22 pm, markste...@gmail.com wrote:

> On 24-Dec-2010, christian <christ...@mindsports.nl> wrote:
>
> > My entry is ready,
>
> Omg, what's the hurry?  :)  We've still got three months.

Better early than ever :)

Daniel S.

Dec 24, 2010, 12:19:03 PM12/24/10

>Daniel wrote:
>"I had a hunch that Christian could bust out 20 or so in a week ;P"

I knew it. Here it comes :D

christian

Dec 24, 2010, 3:38:07 PM12/24/10
On Dec 24, 6:19 pm, "Daniel S." <antiw...@me.com> wrote:

> I knew it.  Here it comes :D

So it does, why wait for the applet.

I set out to make a game in a select category: games of elimination
that start on an empty board, like the traditionals Nine Men's Morris,
Morabaraba and Yote, and the moderns Oust and Emergo. So here is the
new kid on the block: Soar.
http://mindsports.nl/index.php/the-pit/soar-574

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2010, 8:04:26 PM12/24/10

On 24-Dec-2010, christian <chri...@mindsports.nl> wrote:

> So here is the new kid on the block: Soar.
> http://mindsports.nl/index.php/the-pit/soar-574

Interesting game. Thanks Christian. I don't want to be overly critical,
but this is a contest and ultimately I will have to render a numeric rating
for Soar, so a little advanced explanation might be in order. I like the
elements of Soar - the Hexplode explode, the watermelon seed pinch, the
Dipole/Focus stack movement. But it all seems like a lot in one game. My
highest scores will probably go to games with less involved rule sets.

Bill Taylor

Dec 25, 2010, 7:29:14 AM12/25/10
On Dec 22, 6:02 am, "Daniel S." <antiw...@me.com> wrote:

> ps.  Stop being dickheads.  There are only so many abstract
> enthusiasts in the world and even less places where they congregate.
> Plus I don't want to have to dive into an 80 reply thread to find
> stuff which relates to the original topic.  It's annoying.  If you're
> gonna rant (like I currently am) at least add something in your post
> which adds something to the topic.  I'm not a moderator, babysitter,
> fight resolver, etc... On the other hand, I love that this forum is
> not moderated!  Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing.  Look at
> wikileaks :).

Bad luck Daniel.

But this is no longer a place where sensible abstract games
enthusiasts can gather. Stark Mere has killed it.

Everyone but him, his sugar daddy, and about 2 other
hangers-on have long ago left for r.g.c where there are genuine
debates and discussions.

Give it a try.

This forum is dying, if not dead.

christian

Dec 25, 2010, 7:46:05 AM12/25/10
On Dec 25, 2:04 am, markste...@gmail.com wrote:

Rules are always clear to the inventor :)
So what should a more advanced explanation cover? The explosion
mechanism comes from a game published by Games & Puzzles Magazine" in
the mid seventies. I also used a hexversion in Mu. 'Hexplode' is
unknown to me.

My problem is usually turning a mechanism into an organism, that is:
give it will and intent (Bill wouldn't know what I'm talking about,
sadly enough he couldn't resist farting all over the thread again). If
you let the rules sink in, you'll find it is _one_ organism, and
there's no separation between entering and movement. That's one thing
I aimed at.

The vote doesn't concern me all that much, I think it's a nice game
and once the applet is there, we may actually play it and find out for
sure :) .

My own vote only concerns the other entries (naturally - I don't think
we need a procedure for that).

christian

Dec 25, 2010, 8:30:42 AM12/25/10
On Dec 25, 2:04 am, markste...@gmail.com wrote:

> ... a little advanced explanation might be in order.

A detail I didn't mention, you may have noticed, is that if the game
is reduced to one man against one (probably not a frequent occurence)
the game is won by the player who has 'the move', that is: is able to
get diagonal opposition.

The game has 'soft finitude': it will not terminate if both players
_aim_ at not terminating it, and _only_ then.

christian

Dec 25, 2010, 8:52:29 AM12/25/10
Cross posted from the Yote thread:

On Dec 19, 10:58 pm, markste...@gmail.com wrote:
> I love phases in games, but only if they arise
> naturally, not if they're forced by the rules. Like first you fill up the
> board, or add so many pieces to the board, and then the rules are different.
> This is an aesthetic problem for me.

It's only a problem if you can't get around it. It was precisely to
problem that presented itself in Soar.
I agree 100% with your considerations, so I let it sink in till it
solved itself in the most natural way: there are two stages in Soar,
one where a player has still one or more men in hand, and one where
that is no longer the case.
Moving (as opposed to entering) is allowed in both phases, so the
'division' is only rooted in the fact that both may at some point
have
entered all their men - the rules remain the same throughout.

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 25, 2010, 1:37:01 PM12/25/10

On 25-Dec-2010, christian <chri...@mindsports.nl> wrote:

> On Dec 25, 2:04 am, markste...@gmail.com wrote:
> >

> > Interesting game. Thanks Christian.

> > ultimately I will have to render a numeric rating
>

> Rules are always clear to the inventor :)

> My problem is usually turning a mechanism into an organism, that is:
> give it will and intent (Bill wouldn't know what I'm talking about,
> sadly enough he couldn't resist farting all over the thread again).

It's bizarre. Bill Taylor has been repetitively declaring the death of
rec.games.abstract for almost two months now. It's a plot to destroy the
group by making everyone drowsy. GOD I FEEL SORRY FOR BILL TAYLOR'S
STUDENTS !!

> If you let the rules sink in, you'll find it is _one_
> organism, and there's no separation between entering
> and movement. That's one thing I aimed at.

And something I believe you succeeded at, Christian. My point was not that
I don't like your game. If there even was a point, it was that my vote will
be totally unbiased. If Bill Taylor enters a game I like more than yours,
I'll give it a higher rating.

> The vote doesn't concern me all that much,

Me neither. I know I have virtually no chance of winning, with my hunting
style :) All prey, small and large, are eluding me now.

> I think it's a nice game and once the applet is
> there, we may actually play it and find out for
> sure :) .

Yes, the gameplay certainly matters. I didn't have high hopes for Daniel's
game, Charisma, but playing it totally changed my mind.

One more tiny complaint about Soar, and you can get revenge on me when I
enter my game, assuming I get one in the next three months, which I'm
already working at. The maintaining of separate piles of like colored
stones...

christian

Dec 25, 2010, 1:54:00 PM12/25/10
On Dec 25, 7:37 pm, markste...@gmail.com wrote:
> One more tiny complaint about Soar, and you can get revenge on me when I
> enter my game, assuming I get one in the next three months, which I'm
> already working at.  The maintaining of separate piles of like colored
> stones...
Maybe I should leave that suggestion out. A player has twelve men. If
and when his opponent captures them, they're on the other side of the
board anyway.

Hope your 'inventor's block' ends in time :)

Daniel S.

Dec 26, 2010, 11:57:03 AM12/26/10
I'll be gone for a week to Poland. See y'all when I get back.
Hopefully I'll have some ideas. I look forward to trying Soar and
whatever entries are also finished. My work, the games cafe, was
getting rid of an old copy of Sid Sackson's Focus which I've heard is
a modern classic stacking game so I picked it up. Maybe I can convince
a friend of mine to play it before I leave...

cya!

Daniel

>This forum is dying, if not dead.

This is the only completely off topic post on this 40 message thread,
so you're not making a very strong point.

>hangers-on have long ago left for r.g.c where there are genuine debates and discussions. Give it a try.

I'm an active poster on r.g.c. Give it a read. :P

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2010, 12:56:24 PM12/26/10

On 26-Dec-2010, "Daniel S." <anti...@me.com> wrote:

> Bill Taylor wrote:
>
> >This forum is dying, if not dead.

> This is the only completely off topic post on this 40 message thread,
> so you're not making a very strong point.

lol, It's a ludicrous point. Bill Taylor, maven of mediocrity, has deemed
irrelevant Christian Freeling, Dieter Stein, me, and other world renowned
abstract game designers who may yet join your contest. Not to mention
budding new designers such as yourself, Corey Clark (who has promised to
submit a game), and Michael Howe. We're all "dead" to Bill Taylor, lol, who
teaches a math appreciation requirement to drama majors.

christian

Dec 26, 2010, 1:01:58 PM12/26/10
On Dec 26, 5:57 pm, "Daniel S." <antiw...@me.com> wrote:
> I'll be gone for a week to Poland.  See y'all when I get back.
Have a good trip and don't get snowed in altogether ;-)

> >hangers-on have long ago left for r.g.c where there are genuine debates and discussions. Give it a try.
>
> I'm an active poster on r.g.c.  Give it a read. :P

LOL

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2010, 1:15:41 PM12/26/10

On 25-Dec-2010, christian <chri...@mindsports.nl> wrote:

> Hope your 'inventor's block' ends in time :)

Let's just say I'm glad I requested the extension. The only thing I feel
about abstract game design right now is that I need to take a break for at
least a week or two.

Rive, believe it or not, was a huge effort. At least 1/2 hour every day for
well over a month - gargantuan by my admittedly lax standards. What made
Rive especially work-like was not just the usual "It's all been done
already" nagging doubt, but the additional "the gameplay certainly won't be
as good as Oust's". I'm all about architecture, not popularity, but I got a
little spoiled with Oust. It was my first game where the gameplay
compliments outpaced the architecture compliments (of which there have been
many as well for Oust).

In any case, I'm just not ready to jump headlong into another major design
effort, but the whole Winter should be enough time to figure out a new
design. Otherwise, carry on without my entry.

christian

Dec 26, 2010, 5:45:10 PM12/26/10
On Dec 26, 7:15 pm, markste...@gmail.com wrote:
> In any case, I'm just not ready to jump headlong into another major design
> effort, but the whole Winter should be enough time to figure out a new
> design. Otherwise, carry on without my entry.
What's that, winter depression ringing through? I had two month of
lethargy, august and september, remember? Creativity can strike
unexpectedly, as long as you don't try to summon it ;-)

About 'Soar', I was lucky to have some leftover pieces of wreckage
floating around to work with, and a fairly specific target. Not
anything revolutionary in terms of mechanics, but a nice fit. The
process is so fresh in my memory that I can give a fairly accurate
account of how it went.

For what it's worth (yes, go ahead Bill):
http://mindsports.nl/index.php/how-i-invented-games-and-why-not/late-arrivals-a-final-whispers#soar

Cameron Browne

Dec 28, 2010, 6:05:52 AM12/28/10
Hi Daniel,

I'd like to enter Stax: http://www.cameronius.com/games/stax

Cameron

P.S. Thanks for pointing out this competition Mark!

christian

Dec 28, 2010, 6:35:38 AM12/28/10
On Dec 28, 12:05 pm, Cameron Browne <cambol...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I'd like to enter Stax:http://www.cameronius.com/games/stax
>
> Cameron

Hello Cameron, good to hear from you. If "Stax" (great name, wonder
why nobody thought of it before!) is as good as its presentation,
we're in for a serious contender :) . I've yet to read the rules
carefully and let them sink in, but at first glance it has the feel of
a "chess-like Trax", though Trax of course has only placement.

Quote:
"The twelve pieces represent all symmetric arrangements of 0 to 6
pointers within six sides. There are another two asymmetric
arrangements of three pointers; these were not included for aesthetic
reasons and to keep the number of pieces managable."

Aestetics might reason towards completeness I feel, but the 'a-
symmetry' comes in handy as an argument against them and the
'managable number' may indeed enhance game play. I assume you've
tested that.

The complete set, including the two asymmetric 3's, is again a subset
of the "China Labyrinth" set:
http://mindsports.nl/index.php/puzzles/tilings/china-labyrinth/

I'm very happy to see such a renown designer take part, welcome :)

christian

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2010, 9:08:05 AM12/28/10

On 28-Dec-2010, Cameron Browne <camb...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to enter Stax: http://www.cameronius.com/games/stax

Excellent! Lovely game. Thanks, Cameron.

> P.S. Thanks for pointing out this competition Mark!

You're welcome :) Christian Freeling, Dieter Stein and me had already
signed up. What would it look like if we kept the contest a secret from the
world renowned Cameron Browne? In the spirit of fairness, if there's anyone
else who should be notified, let's get them notified.

Lo and behold rec.games.abstract is starting to look like an abstract games
forum for the first time in its punctuated evolution.

###_____###__########____#######____###___###__###_
_###___###___########___###___###___###___###__###_
__###_###____###_______###_____###__###___###__###_
___#####_____#######___###########__#########__###_
____###______#######___##限#########__#########__###_
____###______###_______###_____###__###___###______
____###______########__###_____###__###___###__###_
____###______########__###_____###__###___###__###_

christian

Dec 28, 2010, 10:05:08 AM12/28/10
On Dec 28, 3:08 pm, markste...@gmail.com wrote:
>  In the spirit of fairness, if there's anyone
> else who should be notified, let's get them notified.

I've posted about the contest at Little Golem's Blog:
http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/blog/index.jsp

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2010, 11:03:08 AM12/28/10

On 28-Dec-2010, christian <chri...@mindsports.nl> wrote:

> I've posted about the contest at Little Golem's Blog:

Ok, excellent. I've notified a couple of designers directly, since they
might not monitor the forums.

There was some discussion offline about the valid concern of inviting people
to the rec.games.abstract unmoderated barnyard forum. But I think decorum
suggests an invitation sometimes, even if the invitee is unlikely to attend.
When only certain people are invited, the uninvited are expressly excluded.
Kris Burm, you're invited.

It's funny because I'm in a total slump right now and my prospects for this
contest aren't good at all. But I'm loving this confluence of abstract game
designers.

-Mark

Mark Steere Games
http://www.marksteeregames.com

christian

Dec 28, 2010, 11:15:29 AM12/28/10
On Dec 28, 5:03 pm, markste...@gmail.com wrote:
>  When only certain people are invited, the uninvited are expressly excluded.
>  Kris Burm, you're invited.
>
> -Mark

I don't know Kris personally but I feel his status would justify a
personal invitation. Does anyone know him personally?
I've also notified the Arimaa off topic forum:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=other;action=display;num=1293552633

christian

Dec 28, 2010, 12:51:22 PM12/28/10
On Dec 28, 12:35 pm, christian <christ...@mindsports.nl> wrote:
> On Dec 28, 12:05 pm, Cameron Browne <cambol...@googlemail.com> wrote:> Hi Daniel,
>
> > I'd like to enter Stax:http://www.cameronius.com/games/stax
>
> > Cameron
>
> Hello Cameron, good to hear from you. If "Stax" (great name, wonder
> why nobody thought of it before!) is as good as its presentation,
> we're in for a serious contender :) .

Ralf Gering posted in the chat at iGGC that the name 'Stax' was used
for a stacking game in 1919. Don't know of any details myself but you
may want to ask him about it (or maybe he'll mail you).
Anyway, it's almost a century ago :)

Gert Buschmann

Dec 28, 2010, 1:30:06 PM12/28/10
On 23 Dez., 00:12, spielstein <spielst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I think that means that the order of stacked pieces is relevant?
>
> > Not necessarily. Focus, Bashni, Emergo and Explocus all handle it
> > differently.
>
> Sure, but there is the notion of a prominent piece, other than in
> Mancala games where you usually also have an amount of pieces sharing
> one space, but no kind of immanent order.
>
> > I got a nice mechanism for moving, but no decicion on the nature of
> > capture yet.
>
> So this could be a racing game ... ;)

Hi, this is my first post on rec.games.abstract.

In a stack the position of at least one piece should be relevant. For
example the uppermost. Otherwise there is no need to stack the pieces.

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2010, 2:31:25 PM12/28/10

On 28-Dec-2010, Gert Buschmann <gert.bu...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi, this is my first post on rec.games.abstract.

> In a stack the position of at least one piece should be relevant. For
> example the uppermost. Otherwise there is no need to stack the pieces.

In games where a stack's checkers must be uniformly colored, position
doesn't matter. Like in Dipole.

Dipole rule sheet:
http://www.marksteeregames.com/Dipole_rules.pdf

Stacking like-colored pieces serves one very important purpose though - to
represent the group count with stack height. A stack of eight like-colored
checkers has an easily recognizable height. A pile of eight Mancala stones
in a little pit does not represent its count well. Maybe it's really seven
stones or nine stones. This is why traditional African Mancala games are
primitive and imprecise.

Stacking, to me, is simply stacking. The notion of some arbitrary level of
sophistication a stacking game has to meet before it can be considered a
"true" stacking game is painfully absurd. Reasons for stacking: economics
and ergonomics. As Christian correctly pointed out in another forum, you
could play Chess with stacks of checkers, but this would neither be economic
nor ergonomic.

Certainly there are games where one multi-colored stack sidles up next to
another multi-colored stack, and there's an intricate exchange of sub-stacks
between them. Byte, for example.

Byte rule sheet:
http://www.marksteeregames.com/Byte_rules.pdf

But the notion of bending over backwards to rework the obvious definition of
stacking game - games in which things get stacked - simply to rule out the
pedestrian Checkers as a member of the class is ridiculous. Now you have
this endless succession of "newbies" referring to Checkers as a stacking
game and being "corrected".

"Oh, Checkers isn't really a stacking game...."

Fuck that.

Now if Checkers play *started* with stacks in place and there was no
crowning phase, that'd be like playing Chess with stacks. Wouldn't make
sense. But the stack is formed *during* play by moving into the far row.
Is there a sophisticated, multi-colored sub-stack exchange with neighboring
stacks? No. An off-board checker is simply stacked onto an on-board
checker. But it happens during the game and the stack is significant in the
game.

Game pieces are just ways of representing data in an economic and ergonomic
way. In Checkers, for instance, there is admittedly nothing particularly
stack-like about the underlying data. It's just that there are usually
extra pieces lying around and it's ultra convenient to stack one on another
to represent a king. It makes so much sense in fact, economically and
ergonomically, that checkers are designed with interlocking ridges to
accommodate stacking.

It's convenient to represent Checker's underlying data with stacked
cylinders and so it's done - exactly as with Byte, though stack manipulation
is much more sophisticated in Byte. The notion that a stack of two
like-colored checkers, formed during the game, isn't really a stack is
absurd.

Dipole is a stacking game. The stacks could be replaced by polyhedral dice.
So what? That'd be a pain in the ass. Dipole is no less a stacking game
because it could be played with polyhedral dice instead of checkers.

Anyway, getting back to the topic, I think the consensus is that the contest
isn't real particular about what qualifies, as long as stacking is involved,
although by the same token, I don't think anyone really wants to see any
Checkers variants.

christian

Dec 28, 2010, 3:20:49 PM12/28/10
On Dec 28, 8:31 pm, markste...@gmail.com wrote:

> Anyway, getting back to the topic, I think the consensus is that the contest
> isn't real particular about what qualifies, as long as stacking is involved,
> although by the same token, I don't think anyone really wants to see any
> Checkers variants.

No, not really, but since people can't even agree on the definition of
a chair (and all on good grounds and all, too) I think it's best to be
as inclusive as possible.

christian

Dec 28, 2010, 5:10:35 PM12/28/10
Maybe there should be a thread with the official rules for the
contest, for reference, but that will have to wait till Daniel is back
from Poland (since he started the thread and in that sense 'owns' the
contest).

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2010, 6:25:17 PM12/28/10

On 28-Dec-2010, christian <chri...@mindsports.nl> wrote:

> Maybe there should be a thread with the official rules for
> the contest, for reference,

I think we've pretty much got it covered already. It's not that
complicated. Borderline anything goes and in three months, or sooner if it
looks like we've gotten all the entries we're going to get, we determine
which game is best.

The winner gets recognition as being the winner. I think we can probably
live without the bgg writeup. Let's just be rec.games.abstract and let bgg
be bgg. Kudos to Daniel for the contest though.

spielstein

Dec 28, 2010, 6:32:26 PM12/28/10
What about to call it the "multiple-pieces-share-one-space-contest"
and just carry on?

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2010, 6:49:43 PM12/28/10

On 28-Dec-2010, spielstein <spiel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What about to call it the "multiple-pieces-share-one-space-contest"
> and just carry on?

"Games with a vertical component" :)

Nice job with Verto, btw.

spielstein

Dec 28, 2010, 6:57:05 PM12/28/10
On 29 Dez., 00:49, markste...@gmail.com wrote:

> On 28-Dec-2010, spielstein <spielst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What about to call it the "multiple-pieces-share-one-space-contest"
> > and just carry on?
>
> "Games with a vertical component"  :)

... or 3D games ... LOL

> Nice job with Verto, btw.

Thanks.

Gert Buschmann

Dec 29, 2010, 6:28:35 AM12/29/10
On 29 Dez., 00:25, markste...@gmail.com wrote:

It would be nice if there was a thread just for the rules and the
entries. The entries are somewhat hard to find in this thread.

Harald Korneliussen

Dec 29, 2010, 7:29:51 AM12/29/10
On 26 Des, 17:57, "Daniel S." <antiw...@me.com> wrote:

> This is the only completely off topic post on this 40 message thread,
> so you're not making a very strong point.

Number of posters is a more relevant metric. Google groups collects
statistics for you:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.abstract/about

To be fair, this thread is the first non-OT one in a long time. If you
follow through with this competition of yours, you'll have done
something good - though not for r.g.a, which is beyond help. Talk is
also cheaper than action. I have my doubts anything will come out of
it, if you make it serious at all (like demanding participants play
the games they rate). You can see this as a taunt, to goad you into
going through with it.

christian

Dec 29, 2010, 8:32:53 AM12/29/10
On Dec 29, 1:29 pm, Harald Korneliussen <vinterm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 Des, 17:57, "Daniel S." <antiw...@me.com> wrote:
>
> > This is the only completely off topic post on this 40 message thread,
> > so you're not making a very strong point.

> If you follow through with this competition of yours, you'll have done something good - though not for r.g.a, which is beyond help.
Obviously, then, there must be another reason for you to visit a place
that is beyond help.

> Talk is also cheaper than action. I have my doubts anything will come out of it ...
http://mindsports.nl/index.php/the-pit/soar-574
http://www.cameronius.com/games/stax/

... with and several other inventors working at an entry and a couple
of month to go. I have little doubt something will come out of
it ... :)

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2010, 10:36:01 AM12/29/10

On 29-Dec-2010, Harald Korneliussen <vinte...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 Des, 17:57, "Daniel S." <antiw...@me.com> wrote:
>
> > This is the only completely off topic post on this 40 message thread,
> > so you're not making a very strong point.
>

> Number of posters is an even more relevant metric.

Number of posters is a relevant metric at bgg, Korneliussen. Go there and
celebrate mediocrity with the masses. *Quality* of posters is the relevant
metric at rec.games.abstract. If we could only cut you and Bill Taylor
loose, we'd be left with Christian Freeling, Dieter Stein, Cameron Browne,
and me - four of the best abstract game designers in the world - as well as
several budding new designers.

> To be fair, this thread is the first non-OT one in a long time.
> If you follow through with this competition of yours,

Follow through?? You can't possibly be that ignorant, Korneliussen. Did
you happen to notice the entries from Christian Freeling and Cameron Browne,
barely two weeks into a three month contest? What are you, Bill Taylor??

> you'll have done something good - though not for r.g.a,
> which is beyond help.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Korneliussen. We got that from two months of Bill
Taylor's droning. Rec.games.abstract is destroyed and ruined because now
that abstract games are actually being discussed here, nitwits like you Bill
Taylor are even more irrelevant than ever. Boo hoo.

> Talk is also cheaper than action. I have my doubts
> anything will come out of it,

Mind boggling. Uber zero Harald Korneliussen has just deemed some of the
best abstract game designers in the world incompetent.

> if you make it serious at all (like demanding participants play
> the games they rate).

Great. Herr Korneliussen dispensing advice on how to make the contest
"demanding". Boot heel snapping may be appropriate in Ralf Gering's
Mancala forum, Korneiussen, but not here in rec.games.abstract.

> You can see this as a taunt,

I see your post for exactly what it is, Korneliussen - phenomenally stupid
bullshit.

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2010, 2:35:59 PM12/29/10

On 29-Dec-2010, Harald Korneliussen <vinte...@gmail.com> wrote:

> you'll have done something good - though not for r.g.a,
> which is beyond help.

The arrogance of that is staggering. Newcomers to the group might wonder
who Harald Korneliussen is. Nobody. He isn't a designer. Actually he
claims to be one, but he's spent so much time badmouthing everyone else's
games that he's now too embarrassed to reveal his own game. Korneliussen
doesn't even have the world's most unplayable game to brag about, Bill
Taylor's Projex. He has nothing, that we know about.

Harald Korneliussen isn't known for his skill as a player. And, like Bill
Taylor, Korneliussen knows nothing about combinatorial game theory. The
only thing Harald Korneliussen is known for is making a boob of himself
everywhere he goes. Typical example: Korneliussen was on bgg literally
interrupting a discussion of the advantage the pie rule affords to Player 2
to inform everyone that it's really Player 1 who has the advantage, because
Player 1 has more time to think about the opening position. Staggering
ignorance.

Ok, so here we have Harald Korneliussen - interrupting a discussion of
abstract games in rec.games.abstract, a discussion being held by Christian
Freeling, Dieter Stein, Cameron Browne, and Mark Steere - to announce that
the forum is now "beyond help". Staggering arrogance.

christian

Dec 29, 2010, 3:18:48 PM12/29/10
On Dec 29, 8:35 pm, markste...@gmail.com wrote:

> On 29-Dec-2010, Harald Korneliussen <vinterm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > you'll have done something good - though not for r.g.a,
> > which is beyond help.
>
> Ok, so here we have Harald Korneliussen - interrupting a discussion of
> abstract games in rec.games.abstract, a discussion being held by Christian
> Freeling, Dieter Stein, Cameron Browne, and Mark Steere - to announce that
> the forum is now "beyond help".  Staggering arrogance.

... Daniel Shulz, Gert Buschmann, Nate, but it's a public forum and
it's Harald's opinion.

Mindsports opens with "opinions are difficult because they're too damn
easy". I might say, for instance, that Harald is "beyond help" in his
mission to point out the unholy road of inventing abstract games to
young inventors, killing their dreams, shielding them from shattering
disappointment, saving their lives as it were ... and sometimes to not
so young inventors I might add ;-)

But does that make it true?
Who cares.

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2010, 3:34:25 PM12/29/10

On 29-Dec-2010, christian <chri...@mindsports.nl> wrote:

> > On 29-Dec-2010, Harald Korneliussen <vinterm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > you'll have done something good - though not for r.g.a,
> > > which is beyond help.
> >

> it's Harald's opinion.

> Who cares.

Peace doesn't come easy, Christian. I cleared some ground brush before you
got here but there's still the occasional maintenance.

Off to ride. Very windy but the rain seems to be clearing.

Mark Steere

Dec 29, 2010, 4:28:27 PM12/29/10
On Dec 29, 12:34 pm, markste...@gmail.com wrote:
> I cleared some ground brush before you
> got here

Not dog pack. Dog herd.

Cameron Browne

Dec 30, 2010, 9:56:08 AM12/30/10
Hi Christian,

> Hello Cameron, good to hear from you. If "Stax" (great name, wonder
> why nobody thought of it before!) is as good as its presentation,
> we're in for a serious contender :) .

I've learnt that presentation is half the battle :)

> I've yet to read the rules carefully and let them sink in, but at first
> glance it has the feel of a "chess-like Trax", though Trax of course
> has only placement.

Yes I was aiming for something chess-like (movement and capture with
differentiated pieces) but context free, i.e. no need to learn
specific movement rules for each individual piece as their patterns
define their movement. The end result is sort of an abstracted Hive.

> The complete set, including the two asymmetric 3's, is again a subset
> of the "China Labyrinth" set:http://mindsports.nl/index.php/puzzles/tilings/china-labyrinth/

Interesting! I wasn't wasn't aware of the correlation with the I
Ching. Maybe the two could be combined somehow?

> Ralf Gering posted in the chat at iGGC that the name 'Stax' was used
> for a stacking game in 1919. Don't know of any details myself but you
> may want to ask him about it (or maybe he'll mail you).
> Anyway, it's almost a century ago :)

I thought that name was too good not to have been used before.
I searched the web and BGG but couldn't see any evidence of its use,
but if the 1919 author wants to contact me I'll consider changing
it :)

Regards,
Cameron

christian

Dec 30, 2010, 10:15:19 AM12/30/10
On Dec 30, 3:56 pm, Cameron Browne <cambol...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > The complete set, including the two asymmetric 3's, is again a subset
> > of the "China Labyrinth" set: http://mindsports.nl/index.php/puzzles/tilings/china-labyrinth/
>
> Interesting! I wasn't wasn't aware of the correlation with the I
> Ching. Maybe the two could be combined somehow?

It's more than a correlation, the China Labyrint and the I Ching are
one and the same, the former only gives a completely natural and
endlessly varied graphical representation of the hexagrams of the
latter, and the way they interrelate in any specific divination.
Though Ed and I made it work, and though I copied the whole Legge
translation manually into it, I don't use it myself.
http://mindsports.nl/index.php/i-ching-connexion/i-ching-divination

> I thought that name was too good not to have been used before.
> I searched the web and BGG but couldn't see any evidence of its use,
> but if the 1919 author wants to contact me I'll consider changing
> it :)

Seems fair enough ;-)

Cameron Browne

Dec 30, 2010, 10:32:45 AM12/30/10
> It's more than a correlation, the China Labyrint and the I Ching are
> one and the same, the former only gives a completely natural and
> endlessly varied graphical representation of the hexagrams of the
> latter, and the way they interrelate in any specific divination.
> Though Ed and I made it work, and though I copied the whole Legge
> translation manually into it, I don't use it myself.http://mindsports.nl/index.php/i-ching-connexion/i-ching-divination

I guess the obvious way to apply the I Ching Connexion principle to
Stax is that each player view the tiles in front of them as the
associated hexagrams, and as tiles are rotated their meanings change
to the newly formed ones.

For example, tile 4 Meng (Youthful Inexperience) when rotated one step
clockwise would become tile 3 Chun (Initial Difficulties):
http://mindsports.nl/index.php/i-ching-connexion/hexagrams

So a story would unfold as the game is played, and it would be
different for each player. Players could rotate pieces, pin pieces or
reveal pieces to change the story in meaningful ways, e.g. Joy might
be used to hide The Abyss. Keen players might even choose suboptimal
moves if it improved their story :)

Cameron

Larry Wheeler

Dec 30, 2010, 11:19:28 AM12/30/10
This is reminiscent of I Ching Chess (mentioned in the the ECV). I tried to locate a copy of the book, but no luck (so far).

The movement in Stax is something like that in Omnigon (move, then rotate). Very Nice!

I'll have an entry soon. I'll have to playtest a little and write it up.

Larry

christian

Dec 30, 2010, 11:34:22 AM12/30/10
On Dec 30, 4:32 pm, Cameron Browne <cambol...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I guess the obvious way to apply the I Ching Connexion principle to
> Stax is that each player view the tiles in front of them as the
> associated hexagrams, and as tiles are rotated their meanings change
> to the newly formed ones.

> Cameron

I've started a new thread on this, because it's a bit off topic here.
See you there :)

fizzy

Dec 30, 2010, 11:59:35 AM12/30/10
Cameron,

I like Stax, mostly. I think it is more elegant than Hive and
promises sharp tactics, and possibly also good strategic depth based
on stack heights. But I have two concerns. Might it not prove very
difficult to win if an opponent concentrates on defense, keeping his
king high and working to keep adjacent stacks less accesible and
therefore short? Hive is known to be drawish between strong players,
and I'd be concerned that Stax is the same or worse because of the
mobility limitations imposed by the stack heights. The other thing I
don't like is the memory factor. In fact, it takes it out of my
definiton of perfect information game if you must rely on memory to
know the properties of the covered pieces. A rule allowing free
examination of covered pieces would be good, but also somewhat
awkward. A physical design where you can see the moves of all the
pieces in the stack, perhaps something like Octi, would be something
to consider.

fizzy

Dec 30, 2010, 12:04:44 PM12/30/10
Other designers we might want to invite:

Dan Troyka
Joao Pedro Neto
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Larry Smith

In fact, Nestor might even be interested in producing the winner.

Not sure Neto will participate here, given his friendship with Bill
Taylor.

Cameron Browne

Dec 30, 2010, 1:07:51 PM12/30/10
Hi fizzy,

>The other thing I don't like is the memory factor.
> In fact, it takes it out of my definiton of perfect information
> game if you must rely on memory to know the
> properties of the covered pieces.  A rule allowing free
> examination of covered pieces would be good, but also somewhat
> awkward.  A physical design where you can see the moves of all the
> pieces in the stack, perhaps something like Octi, would be something
> to consider.

Good point! Nestor and I got onto this topic yesterday when he
mentioned that cutting the pointers as holes in the pieces would be
cheaper than just engraving them. An added benefit of this would be
that players could look at stacks from directly above through the
holes in the pieces to see (partially) what was underneath.

This is similar in principle to the punch cards that were used to
teach computing many years ago: you might see a hole through a stack
of cards, but you had to actually stick a pin in there to see which
cards dropped and which held. This would reduce the memory aspect and
might be a cute mechanism.

When you mention Octi are you referring to slots that the players
stick pointers in? I fear that would make things too fiddly.

Regards,
Cameron

Cameron Browne

Dec 30, 2010, 1:13:22 PM12/30/10
Hi again fizzy,

> I like Stax, mostly.  I think it is more elegant than Hive and
> promises sharp tactics, and possibly also good strategic depth based
> on stack heights.  But I have two concerns.  Might it not prove very
> difficult to win if an opponent concentrates on defense, keeping his
> king high and working to keep adjacent stacks less accesible and
> therefore short?

Maybe... maybe not. If this proved to be a problem I'd consider adding
the Ramping Up rule which stops pieces stepping down more than one
level at any step during a move.

This would mean that pieces at the top of pinnacle have limited
mobility as they could only move in the direction of adjacent
neighbours of height N-1. In most cases this would mean that they can
only move back in the direction they took to get up there. So a king
might escape to a pinnacle but find itself trapped there...

Regards,
Cameron

Larry Wheeler

Dec 30, 2010, 1:22:27 PM12/30/10
How about clear lucite, with the pointers painted on in red and black?

Cameron Browne

Dec 30, 2010, 1:39:01 PM12/30/10
On Dec 30, 7:22 pm, Larry Wheeler <lawheele...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> How about clear lucite, with the pointers painted on in red and black?

Yep also considered this but then if the lower pieces show through too
clearly each stack could become a confusion of pointers. It would be
better if players could tell at a glance the direction(s) of travel
for each topmost piece without confusion, in order to maximise the
clarity of the game.

If the price for this is temporarily hiding some information, I don't
think this is too high a price to pay. In fact, it might add something
to the game, maybe a slight element of surprise - in a deterministic
way - which I usually find a good thing.

Cameron

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2010, 2:03:37 PM12/30/10

On 30-Dec-2010, fizzy <ewo...@aol.com> wrote:

> Other designers we might want to invite:
>
> Dan Troyka
> Joao Pedro Neto
> Néstor Romeral Andrés
> Larry Smith

Excellent suggestions. I nominate you to invite them, Michael.

> Not sure Neto will participate here, given his friendship
> with Bill Taylor.

It's inconceivable that any adult would boycott the contest in support of
Bill Taylor's protracted temper tantrum. In any case, the contest is well
under way, and I think we can forge ahead with whatever game submissions we
do get.

Cameron Browne

Dec 30, 2010, 2:05:37 PM12/30/10
> If this proved to be a problem I'd consider adding
> the Ramping Up rule which stops pieces stepping down more than one
> level at any step during a move.

I mean the Small Steps rule.

Cameron

PS. Google groups doesn't have the technology for authors to edit
their own messages?!

christian

Dec 30, 2010, 2:10:49 PM12/30/10
On Dec 30, 8:03 pm, markste...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 30-Dec-2010, fizzy <ewo...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Other designers we might want to invite:
>
> > Dan Troyka
> > Joao Pedro Neto
> > Néstor Romeral Andrés
> > Larry Smith

Jorge Gómez Arrausi (who invented Pilare and is a worldclass LOA
player).

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2010, 2:54:26 PM12/30/10

On 30-Dec-2010, Cameron Browne <camb...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> PS. Google groups doesn't have the technology for authors
> to edit their own messages?!

Rec.games.abstract is a Usenet newsgroup, not a Google group. You can't
edit or delete things on Usenet.

Google groups repackages rec.games.abstract in its own format, simulating
the ability to edit things, but those of us with newsreaders and Usenet
accounts continue to see both the pre-edited version and the nearly
identical, edited version of your post. Google groups filters out the
previous version for the Google groups users, but it's still there. People
who put a six day expiration on their posts - nope, still there.

fizzy

Dec 30, 2010, 6:15:35 PM12/30/10

I'll do my best, maybe tomorrow. Wiped out today after installing a
new interior door -- a new thing for me. Older abode, door frames not
plumb, arm fallings off from carrying door up and down stairs,
fitting, chiseling, drilling, planing, and cleanup. Wow did I make a
mess. I can try to contact Neto and Smith, I know that I have
exchanged emails with them in the past and might have contact info for
them. I don't have an email address for Troyka, but I could try to
"geekmail" him at BGG and hope that he checks it. Nestor I guess we
can contact through his game company website.

fizzy

Dec 30, 2010, 8:50:27 PM12/30/10
> can contact through his game company website.- Hide quoted text -

Although upon further review, I think the invitation will be much more
convincing if it comes not from me but from one of our noteworthy
designers. I nominate Christian.

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2010, 10:14:19 PM12/30/10

I think we've probably satisfied due diligence at this point just naming
these individuals. The contest has enough notable designers now to generate
its own buzz, and people who know them will pass the word along.

Jackspritz

Dec 30, 2010, 11:14:41 PM12/30/10
On Dec 30, 12:03 pm, markste...@gmail.com wrote:
> It's inconceivable that any adult would boycott [any] contest in support of
> [any] protracted temper tantrum.

oh I see...

christian

Dec 31, 2010, 5:30:50 AM12/31/10
On Dec 31, 2:50 am, fizzy <ewo...@aol.com> wrote:

> Jorge Gómez Arrausi

> Although upon further review, I think the invitation will be much more
> convincing if it comes not from me but from one of our noteworthy
> designers.  I nominate Christian.

I think I got most of them in the mail somewhere (Dan, João, Néstor,
Nick Bentley, Greg Schmidt, Evan Koch, Clark Rodeffer). Couldn't find
Larry Smith, yet I seem to remember we've had contact in the distant
past. There's also Benedikt Rosenau and Arty of course, but they are
aware of the contest already, as are most of the others, probably. But
mailing doesn't hurt, I'll contact them anyway.

christian

Dec 31, 2010, 7:59:32 AM12/31/10
I've notified David J Bush, Dan Troyka, Clark D. Rodeffer, Dave Dyer,
Steffen Mühlhäuser, Simon Dorfman, Nick Bentley, Néstor Romeral
Andrés, João Pedro Neto, Mikael Jörgensen, Evan Koch, Greg Schmidt and
Giuseppe Acciaro.

Couldn't find Larry Smith and Kris Burm, and may have missed a couple
of inventors in the first place. Please mail additional notifications
if you know any.

This was my message to all:

Hello guys,

This is to notify you all of the RGA Stacking Games Contest:
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.abstract/browse_thread/
thread/3d7d1849463cb271/ca5401bd47d32149>

It's a fun affair, and entries may include any two-player perfect
information abstract that involves some kind of stacking, including
checkers variants.

The winner earns general recognition and who knows what more.

There's a forgiving time limit of a couple of month. Entries till now
are Christian Freeling's Soar and Cameron Browne's Stax.
<http://mindsports.nl/index.php/the-pit/soar-574>
<http://www.cameronius.com/games/stax/>

Have a happy New Year and may inspiration shine on you :)

christian

twixter

Dec 31, 2010, 9:00:38 AM12/31/10
Should entrants provide a way to play the game on a virtual board? The
sandbox on Game Center may not be up to the task. Zillions costs
money. Would an Axiom module do?

christian

Dec 31, 2010, 9:42:12 AM12/31/10
On Dec 31, 3:00 pm, twixter <twixtpla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should entrants provide a way to play the game on a virtual board?
Hi David,

That would be nice, but probably not within everyone's capabilities.
Ed is busy writing the Soar applet, but Stax, for one, is much more
complicated to implement. Any suggestions?

> The sandbox on Game Center may not be up to the task. Zillions costs
> money.  Would an Axiom module do?

I don't know what an Axiom module is and does.

I've sifted a bit through the iGGC rule pages, and further notified
Gregory Keith Van Patten, Tommy De Coninck, Wally Sewell and Stephen
Linhart.

Here are some more inventors I couldn't find the addresses of:

Steven W. Meyers
Andrew Juell
Veljko Cirovic
Zhen Wang
Phil Leduc
Jan Kristian Haugland
Vincent Everaert
John Herr
Víkingur Fjalar Eiríksson
Jordan Goldstein

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2010, 10:39:28 AM12/31/10

On 31-Dec-2010, christian <chri...@mindsports.nl> wrote:

> I've notified David J Bush, Dan Troyka, Clark D. Rodeffer, Dave Dyer,
> Steffen Mühlhäuser, Simon Dorfman, Nick Bentley, Néstor Romeral
> Andrés, João Pedro Neto, Mikael Jörgensen, Evan Koch, Greg Schmidt and
> Giuseppe Acciaro.

Excellent, thanks Christian. I've notified Steven W. Meyers and Greg Van
Patten.

marks...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2010, 11:08:35 AM12/31/10

On 31-Dec-2010, christian <chri...@mindsports.nl> wrote:

> Here are some more inventors I couldn't find the addresses of:
>
> Steven W. Meyers
> Andrew Juell
> Veljko Cirovic
> Zhen Wang
> Phil Leduc
> Jan Kristian Haugland
> Vincent Everaert
> John Herr

> V�kingur Fjalar Eir�ksson
> Jordan Goldstein

Might as well add Amazons designer, Walter Zamkauskas.

christian

Dec 31, 2010, 11:35:24 AM12/31/10
On Dec 31, 5:08 pm, markste...@gmail.com wrote:

> Might as well add Amazons designer, Walter Zamkauskas.

Amazons has plenty of references, but I couldn't find anything on the
inventor except his name and nationality.

Bill Taylor

Jan 1, 2011, 12:58:35 AM1/1/11
Gert Buschmann <gert.buschm...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi, this is my first post on rec.games.abstract.

Bad luck, Gert, you accidentally came at a bad time.

r.g.a. has succumbed to Stark Mere, a loudmouthed popinjay
who thinks the abgame world revolves around himself.

As a result, he badmouths almost everyone else, with
the notable exception of his sugar daddy, (non-)Christian
Freeling, a former games designer of some repute, but now
just another world-revolves-around me proponent.

You will find that most of the posts here are by these losers,
and the only decent things worth reading these days are on
recre.games.combinatorial.

Best of luck there!

marks...@gmail.com

Jan 1, 2011, 3:51:10 AM1/1/11

On 31-Dec-2010, Bill Taylor <wfc.t...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Gert Buschmann <gert.buschm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, this is my first post on rec.games.abstract.
>
> Bad luck, Gert, you accidentally came at a bad time.
>
> r.g.a. has succumbed to Stark Mere,

Gert, please allow me to apologize for Bill Taylor, the group malcontent.
He's permanently mired in outrage over some long forgotten insult.

Bill will be stopping in now and again to incessantly remind everyone that:
1. Rec.games.abstract is now "ruined".
2. I ruined it.
3. The "real" abstract game discussion is now in Recre.Bills.Gibberish.

Did I leave anything out, Bill?

Exactly how the group is now ruined and what I did to ruin it are closely
guarded secrets, known only to Bill Taylor and his followers. Or I should
say, follower. Harald Korneliussen.

I think just the fact that I'm here ruins the group, because I'm "smelly",
lol That's about the closest we've gotten to a mature, rational
articulation of Bill's tiresome grudge.

> The only decent things worth reading these days are on
> Recre.Bills.Gibberish.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wake me up when Bill dies.

christian

Jan 1, 2011, 7:53:12 AM1/1/11
May I wish all of you a very happy 2011, and may the light of

christian

Jan 2, 2011, 10:33:41 AM1/2/11
It's my pleasure to announce that Ed van Zon has put the Soar applet
online at mindsports.nl

Registration is free, after which you can select Soar in the prefs and
challenge other players or be challenged by them.
http://mindsports.nl/index.php/players-section

marks...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2011, 11:19:46 AM1/2/11

On 2-Jan-2011, christian <chri...@mindsports.nl> wrote:

> It's my pleasure to announce that Ed van Zon has put
> the Soar applet online at mindsports.nl

Excellent, thanks Christian, Ed. I started a couple of games with you guys.
No point in waiting for the "evaluation" phase, which could be a long way
off still.

Daniel S.

Jan 3, 2011, 9:21:17 AM1/3/11
Hey folks,

I'm back in Berlin. Poland is also cold incase anyone was wondering.
I see there has been quite a bit of activity while I was away! I
still have a bit of 'writers block', but with a spring deadline I'll
hopefully have some stuff to offer.

I'll look for Kris' email. My boss has it if I don't.

I'm busy for the next couple of days (possibly weeks if I have to go
to Spain), but will be back on track soon for playtest and discussion.

...oh my goodness I'm in a contest with Cameron. This is gonna be a
challenge for sure :D.

Welcome to the contest to everyone who's jumped aboard!

Daniel
[100th post]

It is loading more messages.