Biloxi Omaha 8 report

1 view

minus200(DELETETHIS)

Jul 1, 2006, 3:37:22 PM7/1/06
Since there is a small chance I may play in the WSOP Omaha 8 event July
15, I thought it would be a good idea if I played a little B&M Omaha
before then. I arrive last night at the "Pile of Debris" (Isle of Capri
for the rookies) about 8:00 and put my name on all the list. There was
a 10-20 half kill Omaha 8 game with 6 players that might have a negative
pot average after the rake. Game was filled with rocks and there would
never be more than 4 people (usually 3 or less) in a pot. I told them
if they got 8 players to call me. I was called to a 1-2 NL and sat down
and before the 1st hand I was called to a half kill 4-8 game that had
two decent players- 2 fish and the rest unknown. I decided to watch the
button pass and was glad I did - I learned a lot the first hand I
watched. The BB was to my immediate right with about $600 in front of
him. It was a kill pot and he raised to $12 and 6 people called. I
blinked twice as I watched 7 players see the river and 5 at showdown.
The raiser turned over T-5-5-3 with suited 5-3. The rest of the table
had varying hands none of which I would have put into the "A" category.

My 1st hand was A 2 4 Q with the A suited and the Q suited. It was
another kill pot and the same player made it $12 -- I called and 9 of us
saw the flop. Flop came 3-4-Q and there was some more raising. I was
not up to laying down the nut low draw and the top two pair so I
continued to call and when an 8 came on the turn, I just called the $24
and waited for the A or 2 that was sure to come on the river. When the
9 of hearts made the 3rd heart on the table I again called the $24 and
waited to get my 1/6 of the pot as 5 players called the $24 bet on the
river. SURPRISE SURPRISE - A-2 (was ahead for high with two pair until
river) got half the pot and a flush to the T got the other half. The
lady that made the flush had NO DRAW after the flop and called the $12
bet just to get on a draw. After this hand I went card dead dead dead.
I had 4 playable hands for the next 2 1/2 hours. I did manage to win
3 of those and laid down the 4th one after the flop. It was a very slow
night as I spent all my time watching. When I talk about dead cards, I
mean the kind of hands that I would not call with Gary Carson's money.
It was kinda fun to try and figure out what hands each player was going
to turn over at the showdown. The game continued with big pots and
"funny hands". I could tell most of the time when a player "thought"
they had a good hand; the only problem was they didnt know the
difference between a good hand and one they should have folded. The
player to my right continued to play every hand and raised about 70% of
those. All in all it was a pleasant group with very little moaning about
bad beats and for a change I managed a modest win. From time to time I
went over to look at the 10-20 Omaha8 game and never saw a pot as large
as a medium size pot at our table. Easy choice of games - a lively
table of pretty nice people or a dead table with a bunch of old salts
with only 2 or three fun people. Dont let this report of a rare win for
minus200 mislead newbies here into think this happens more than once or
twice a year---- I EARNED the name minus200. The hands were so bad that
even a ragaholic like me knew not to call with them and the good hands
were so good they just played themselves. I did make one good play of a
"no raise" after the river that got two player to call behind me that
would have folded to a raise.
--
MINUS200

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but
rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, scotch in the
other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO what a ride!"

FellKnight

Jul 1, 2006, 2:37:03 PM7/1/06
On Jul 1 2006 11:39 AM, minus200(DELETETHIS) wrote:

> Since there is a small chance I may play in the WSOP Omaha 8 event July
> 15,

Will you give us updates that day as minus2000? :)

Good luck!

Fell
--
Website: www.fellknight.com
Email: fellknight at gmail dot com

----

minus200(DELETETHIS)

Jul 1, 2006, 8:16:03 PM7/1/06
I suppose there is some truth to the change in my name. As soon as I
mentioned playing in the series, Fell took me from minus200 to
minus2000. If I play, my 1st goal is not to be the 1st one out. I will
adjust my goals as the tournament moves along. I think the buy in is
$3000 so perhaps I should go ahead and make the change to minus3000