For Mr. Caro, a question that's way out there

Bedini

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
Mr. Caro

I addressed this question to you because it seemed to me that most people would
think this concept is crazy, but you might be open to it.

Do you think a person's subconscious reaction to color would have an effect on
their play? For example, black is a dark, cold color with negative
connotations, whereas red is warm and friendly. So, might it be easier, in 7
stud, to scare someone off a pot with 3 spades on board as opposed to three
hearts? It's a stretch, but I'll take any edge I can get.

Milesfnw

Mike Caro

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98

Yes, I have previously stated that spades seem to have greater
psychological power in poker than other suits. I'd guess that hearts
come next, and I have no opinion about the relative rankings of clubs
and diamonds.

I don't think the tendency is very great, but if I were a betting man
:-), and we could prove who wins, I would wager that the aggregate
poker community tries for and makes more spade flushes than any other
flushes. Also, opponents are probably more aware of spade flush
possibilities and are more intimidated by them. (This latter subtlety
partially cancels the former.)

All-in-all, I think these trends are NOT quite strong enough to
influence your strategy.

Straight Flushes,
Mike Caro

doub...@pop.spkn.uswest.net

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
I thought there was no such thing as a stupid question. Until I read yours...

Dsklansky

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
By no means is this a stupid question.( And there definitely are many stupid
questions out there even if Gary Carson wants me to be more polite). It is
entirely possible that different suits have different psychological impacts on
some people. Someone should do a study. David Sklansky

Maverick

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98

I think only one suit would have any reasonable psychological impact any
players...and that would be limited to superstitious players or those
affected by table talk.

Barbara Yoon

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
Bedini:
>> ...a person's subconscious reaction to color would have an effect...?

Mike Caro:

> Yes, I have previously stated that spades seem to have greater psychological

> power in poker than other suits. ... [However,] I think these trends are NOT

> quite strong enough to influence your strategy.

doub...@pop.spkn.uswest.net

> I thought there was no such thing as a stupid question. Until I read yours...

Dsklansky:
> By no means is this a stupid question. (Gary Carson...[commenting on
> Barbara Yoon] "...she's more like David Sklansky than she would want to
> believe.") ...entirely possible that different suits have different psychological
> impacts on some people.

Gary's right...David and me (and Mike), "like peas in a pod," on this question...

Albert Wang

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
I think more people are influenced by suits more than you think. Bridge
players will by reflex feel a little stronger with spades than Clubs. The
Ace of Spaces often holds a special meaning for many, probably because of
the position in a new deck and all the manufacturer's logos. How much this
all affects play and use of this knowledge tho is a different matter. I
think effort would be better spent spotting tells and logging habits.

Hope I'm never drawing dead,

Albert

gary_ca...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98

dskl...@aol.com (Dsklansky) wrote:
> By no means is this a stupid question.( And there definitely are many stupid
> questions out there even if Gary Carson wants me to be more polite). It is

> entirely possible that different suits have different psychological impacts on

> some people. Someone should do a study. David Sklansky

I think you've been real polite lately David. I'm proud of you. I'd like to
suggest a study, if someone wants to do it I'd be interested in seeing the
results. I think people are much more likely to play the ace of spades than
any other ace. A test of this could be done by counting the times someone
has top pair when Ah, Ac, or Ad is on the board vs As. Null hypothesis would
be that freqeuncy when As flops is 1/3 frequency when another ace flops. I
doubt this difference is big enough to make money from, but I think it's
real. A variation would be how many times an ace hits someone as an overcard
on turn or river -- I think when As hits it's less likely someone was drawing
to a single overcard. --- Gary Carson

Mark Parisi

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
In article <XWJY1.3505$q15....@news.san.rr.com>,

Albert Wang <awa...@san.rr.com> wrote:
>I think more people are influenced by suits more than you think. Bridge
>players will by reflex feel a little stronger with spades than Clubs. The
>Ace of Spaces often holds a special meaning for many, probably because of
>the position in a new deck and all the manufacturer's logos. How much this
>all affects play and use of this knowledge tho is a different matter. I
>think effort would be better spent spotting tells and logging habits.
>
>Hope I'm never drawing dead,
>
>Albert

If you really want to take this thread "way out there," the
traditional Tarot-based interpretatations of the four suits are:

Spades - correspond to swords, the Tarot suit representing
decisions, tough choices or situations, and intellect. The ace of swords
(ace of spades) is interpreted as "placing power in your hands," i.e. the
power to cut through difficult decisions with intellectual fortitude, or a
more general resolution of a conflict. Swords can also symbolize
expertise or ability in intellectual fields. All in all, good cards for
poker players, perhaps in more ways than one :-)

Clubs - correspond to wands, the suit representing creativity,
action, energy, and movement/travel.

Diamonds - correspond to pentacles, the suit representing money
and material things, and the effort required to gain them.

Hearts - correspond to cups, the suit representing emotions and
social situations.

Of course, none of this has *any* rational basis whatsoever and
won't net you even a cent of additional profit, but it's interesting
trivia you might want to chat about between hands.

Happy Halloween,

Mark P.

Paul Phillips

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
In article <70vsum$sv0$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

>I think people are much more likely to play the ace of spades than
>any other ace.

Likely true -- an even stronger one, I posit, will be that people are
more likely to play a suited ace of spades than any other suited ace.

Also, I suspect people are more willing to believe someone has the
flush when a third spade hits after the flop than with any other suit.
If the earlier supposition is true, they may even be correct!

If one suit is going to stand differently for psychological reasons,
I'll be surprised if it's not spades.

--
Paul Phillips | There's only one thing that I know how to do well, and
Lost Sheep | I've often been told that you only can do what you know

not...@yahoo.com

Oct 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/26/98
In article <36381a4b....@nntp.we.mediaone.net>,

ca...@caro.com (Mike Caro) wrote:
> On 24 Oct 1998 16:48:37 GMT, bed...@aol.com (Bedini) wrote:
>
> >Mr. Caro
> >
> >I addressed this question to you because it seemed to me that most people
would
> >think this concept is crazy, but you might be open to it.
> >
> >Do you think a person's subconscious reaction to color would have an effect
on
> >their play? For example, black is a dark, cold color with negative
> >connotations, whereas red is warm and friendly. So, might it be easier, in 7
> >stud, to scare someone off a pot with 3 spades on board as opposed to three
> >hearts? It's a stretch, but I'll take any edge I can get.
> >
> >Milesfnw
>
> Yes, I have previously stated that spades seem to have greater
> psychological power in poker than other suits. I'd guess that hearts
> come next, and I have no opinion about the relative rankings of clubs
> and diamonds.
>
> I don't think the tendency is very great, but if I were a betting man
> :-), and we could prove who wins, I would wager that the aggregate
> poker community tries for and makes more spade flushes than any other
> flushes. Also, opponents are probably more aware of spade flush
> possibilities and are more intimidated by them. (This latter subtlety
> partially cancels the former.)
>
> All-in-all, I think these trends are NOT quite strong enough to
> influence your strategy.

This is interesting to me. Does it apply in on-line tourneys, such as WRGPT,
where the color is only in the eye of the player, but not on the physical
cards themselves? Or only in RL poker?

David

> Mike Caro

Mike Caro

Oct 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/26/98
On Mon, 26 Oct 1998 18:35:49 GMT, not...@yahoo.com wrote:

>This is interesting to me. Does it apply in on-line tourneys, such as WRGPT,
>where the color is only in the eye of the player, but not on the physical
>cards themselves? Or only in RL poker?

Good question. Don't know. It probably does apply, butt to a lesser
extent when you have to imagine the cards.

Straight Flushes,
Mike Caro

Mike Caro

Oct 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/26/98
>Good question. Don't know. It probably does apply, butt to a lesser
>extent when you have to imagine the cards.

but, not butt

yott...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98

gary_ca...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> dskl...@aol.com (Dsklansky) wrote:
> > By no means is this a stupid question.( And there definitely are many stupid
> > questions out there even if Gary Carson wants me to be more polite). It is
> > entirely possible that different suits have different psychological impacts
> > on some people. Someone should do a study. David Sklansky
> >

> I think you've been real polite lately David. I'm proud of you. I'd like to
> suggest a study, if someone wants to do it I'd be interested in seeing the
> results. I think people are much more likely to play the ace of spades than
> any other ace. A test of this could be done by counting the times someone
> has top pair when Ah, Ac, or Ad is on the board vs As. Null hypothesis would
> be that freqeuncy when As flops is 1/3 frequency when another ace flops. I
> doubt this difference is big enough to make money from, but I think it's
> real. A variation would be how many times an ace hits someone as an overcard
> on turn or river -- I think when As hits it's less likely someone was drawing
> to a single overcard. --- Gary Carson

What would be even more interesting is a study to determine the psychological
impacts of a persons play when setting your left or right.

The reason I wonder is that I recently seen a news article on ABC news about
'Goggle Therapy' which treats depression by covering all but the extreme left
or right side of the goggles with tape. People who have been treated claim
to be less anxious when a pair of goggles suited for them are worn. In some
instances the left goggle produced the effect and some the right but the
wrong goggle produced the opposite effect and increased anxiety. This was
explained that stimulas to the left eye is processed by the right brain and
vice versa. The professor who discovered this phenomenon claims there can be
vast differenced in how information is processed by each hemisphere of the
brain.