This is, apparently, not a joke

risky biz

Aug 19, 2009, 4:58:14 AM8/19/09
I'm sure this will be music to the ears of some of the major assholes at
RGP:

"Yesterday, a group of high-profile dignitaries from across the political
spectrum celebrated the launch of the Society for the Management of
Historical Reason (SMHR) in the nation�ソスs capital. The all-day seminar took
place in the headquarters of the American Enterprise Institute (AEI) and
featured speeches by Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, former secretary
of state Madeleine Albright, John Nagl of the Center for a New American
Security (CNAS), former Bush speechwriter David Frum, Obama Special Envoy
Richard Holbrooke, and Iraq surge architect and West Point professor
Frederick Kagan.

In his opening remarks, the new organization�ソスs executive director, Michael
O�ソスHanlon, a longtime fellow at the liberal Brookings Institution, spoke
with urgency about the new entity�ソスs mission. "As Isaiah Berlin, the great
prophet of the Open Society, once said, �ソスAnalogizing is the lifeblood of
historical reason.�ソス We believe this to be true. However, we also know that
in times like these, allowing anyone, anywhere to establish and publicize
parallels between the policies of the U.S. and those pursued by other
nations in the course of history can have far-reaching consequences for
American security. We therefore seek to aid those habitually engaged in
generating historical reasoning (or reporting it to the general public
after a cursory reading of a commissioned think-tank position paper) to
channel their ideas toward only those parallelisms which affirm that the
U.S. and its close ally Israel stand outside the laws of causality that
have governed the fates of other peoples on the earth."

As they were exiting the conference auditorium, participants and observers
were encouraged to sign a pledge that commits them to the guiding
principles of the new think-tank. David Gregory (GE-NBC), Brian Williams
(GE-NBC), John King (Time-Warner-CNN), Guy Raz (NPR), Charles Gibson
(Disney-ABC), Mary-Louise Kelly (NPR), and Michael Gordon (NYT) were seen
chatting amiably among themselves as they awaited their turn to sign up."
http://original.antiwar.com/thomas-harrington/2009/08/18/new-think-tank-seeks/

_____________________________________________________________________�ソス
looking for a better newsgroup-reader? - www.recgroups.com

da pickle

Aug 19, 2009, 9:18:03 AM8/19/09
"risky biz" <risk...@sbcglobal.net> [not his real email] cut and pasted:

[Apparently, risky did not do much research about the "joke" part.]

> I'm sure this will be music to the ears of some of the major assholes at
> RGP:
>

> "Yesterday, a group of high-profile dignitaries from across the political
> spectrum celebrated the launch of the Society for the Management of

> Historical Reason (SMHR) in the nation's capital. The all-day seminar took

> place in the headquarters of the American Enterprise Institute (AEI) and
> featured speeches by Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, former secretary
> of state Madeleine Albright, John Nagl of the Center for a New American
> Security (CNAS), former Bush speechwriter David Frum, Obama Special Envoy
> Richard Holbrooke, and Iraq surge architect and West Point professor
> Frederick Kagan.
>

> In his opening remarks, the new organization's executive director, Michael
> O'Hanlon, a longtime fellow at the liberal Brookings Institution, spoke
> with urgency about the new entity's mission. "As Isaiah Berlin, the great
> prophet of the Open Society, once said, 'Analogizing is the lifeblood of
> historical reason.' We believe this to be true. However, we also know that

> in times like these, allowing anyone, anywhere to establish and publicize
> parallels between the policies of the U.S. and those pursued by other
> nations in the course of history can have far-reaching consequences for
> American security. We therefore seek to aid those habitually engaged in
> generating historical reasoning (or reporting it to the general public
> after a cursory reading of a commissioned think-tank position paper) to
> channel their ideas toward only those parallelisms which affirm that the
> U.S. and its close ally Israel stand outside the laws of causality that
> have governed the fates of other peoples on the earth."
>
> As they were exiting the conference auditorium, participants and observers
> were encouraged to sign a pledge that commits them to the guiding
> principles of the new think-tank. David Gregory (GE-NBC), Brian Williams
> (GE-NBC), John King (Time-Warner-CNN), Guy Raz (NPR), Charles Gibson
> (Disney-ABC), Mary-Louise Kelly (NPR), and Michael Gordon (NYT) were seen
> chatting amiably among themselves as they awaited their turn to sign up."
> http://original.antiwar.com/thomas-harrington/2009/08/18/new-think-tank-seeks/

If you Google:

"society for the management of historical reason (smhr)"

You only get 39 hits. The first is your "source" and the second is your
post.

[This one may show up after I post it.]

The third is "exactly" the same "story" at:

http://macondonewsservice.blogspot.com/2009_08_17_archive.html

There are a couple more apparent duplicates in middle east languages (I
think, not clear) but there is no other source mentioned. I wonder how
"they" have kept this from everyone else?

eleaticus

Aug 19, 2009, 10:24:18 AM8/19/09

"risky biz" <risk...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> I'm sure this will be music to the ears of some of the major assholes at
> RGP:

> In his opening remarks, the new organization's executive director, Michael
> O'Hanlon, a longtime fellow at the liberal Brookings Institution, spoke
> with urgency about the new entity's mission. "As Isaiah Berlin, the great
> prophet of the Open Society, once said, 'Analogizing is the lifeblood of
> historical reason.' We believe this to be true. However, we also know that

> in times like these, allowing anyone, anywhere to establish and publicize
> parallels between the policies of the U.S. and those pursued by other
> nations in the course of history can have far-reaching consequences for
> American security. We therefore seek to aid those habitually engaged in
> generating historical reasoning (or reporting it to the general public
> after a cursory reading of a commissioned think-tank position paper) to
> channel their ideas toward only those parallelisms which affirm that the
> U.S. and its close ally Israel stand outside the laws of causality that
> have governed the fates of other peoples on the earth."

Hunh??!!!

That makes double think look like straight talk.

> As they were exiting the conference auditorium, participants and observers
> were encouraged to sign a pledge that commits them to the guiding
> principles of the new think-tank. David Gregory (GE-NBC), Brian Williams
> (GE-NBC), John King (Time-Warner-CNN), Guy Raz (NPR), Charles Gibson
> (Disney-ABC), Mary-Louise Kelly (NPR), and Michael Gordon (NYT) were seen
> chatting amiably among themselves as they awaited their turn to sign up."

http://original.antiwar.com/thomas-harrington/2009/08/18/new-think-tank-seeks/

eleaticus

Aug 19, 2009, 10:24:57 AM8/19/09

"da pickle" <jcpickels@(nospam)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "risky biz" <risk...@sbcglobal.net> [not his real email] cut and pasted:
>
> [Apparently, risky did not do much research about the "joke" part.]

Really?

I hope so!!

risky biz

Aug 19, 2009, 12:08:42 PM8/19/09

It's a satire of America's neo-cons, you dope, and no joke because it is
highly accurate satire. You bit on that like a hungry marlin.

-------�
* kill-files, watch-lists, favorites, and more.. www.recgroups.com

da pickle

Aug 19, 2009, 12:32:00 PM8/19/09

"risky biz"

> It's a satire of America's neo-cons, you dope, and no joke because it is
> highly accurate satire. You bit on that like a hungry marlin.

Oh ... tee hee