ROVE ATTACKS SOTOMAYOR, CALLS HER A 'SCHOOLMARM,' SAYS SHE'S 'NOT NECESSARILY' SMART

1 view

Jerry Sturdivant

May 30, 2009, 8:44:30 AM5/30/09

During a debate at Radio City Music Hall in New York on Wednesday, host Charlie Rose said Supreme Court nominee Judge Sonia Sotomayor "is very smart." "Not necessarily," former Bush adviser Karl Rove replied. After Rose noted that Sotomayor graduated with honors from Princeton and attended Yale Law School, Rove said, "I know lots of stupid people who went to Ivy League schools."

Rove's claim is ironic considering that in an interview previewing the debate, he cited President Bush's experience at Harvard and Yale to mock claims that Bush is stupid. "The myth was that this guy, who was a Yale history grad and a Harvard MBA, was not smart," Rove told the Chicago Tribune. And on Fox News Wednesday, Rove offered another demeaning and subtly-sexist putdown of Sotomayor. Rove complained to host Greta Van Susteren that Sotomayor pays too much attention to grammar and claimed that she's "sort of a schoolmarm." "I was talking to people about the Second court of appeals. ...What she would do is she would mark them up like she was your English school teacher and -- with your typos and misspellings and other words that she wanted to have changed and send it back to her colleagues. Not exactly the best way to ingratiate yourself with your colleagues," Rove said.

da pickle

May 30, 2009, 2:18:40 PM5/30/09
Jerry, you really should get pure text to fix your cut and paste operations.

It is free:

And you should attribute quotations.  [I can see why you might want to avoid referencing "Think Progress" though.]

On the merits, I would agree that it is not smart to say what Rove said.  Still on subject, the proposed justice has said that she agrees that she made a poor choice of words.  I certainly disagree that Judge Sotomayor should be considered not smart.

Deadmoney Walking

May 30, 2009, 4:57:42 PM5/30/09
you can't criticize Ivy legue graduates unless you are one because the
rest of us weren't smart enough to get in.

MacC...@gmail.com

May 30, 2009, 9:43:12 PM5/30/09
On May 30, 1:57 pm, Deadmoney Walking <tbones...@gmail.com> wrote:
> you can't criticize Ivy legue graduates unless you are one because the
> rest of us weren't smart enough to get in.

*lmao* Not true. Being smart does not get you in. Many more smart
people go elsewhere, I did.

It is typical of the elite (mostly Dems) to say we are not qualified
to judge them. They of course can judge anyone. Funny how they say
being judgmental is bad, and engage in it constantly.

BTW Obamassiah won't release his transcript. Hmm. What does he have to
hide? His association with radicals that helped him to get in? Or the
weak classes he took? Or the grades he received? Only people with
something to hide would behave in this manner. We know this, because
our betters have told us this.

Rove did not say that she was not smart because she went to an Ivy
league school. Her intellect is suspect because of her decisions on
the bench, and more so her commentary outside of the court.

EVERY MINORITY HAS A LOWER BAR TO CLEAR TO ATTEND AN IVY. WOMEN
ESPECIALLY.

bub

May 30, 2009, 10:55:28 PM5/30/09

who said "Thomas was the one in my view engaging in racism, and I not
only mean racism in terms of playing the race card, but racism in
trying to reinforce the stereotypical notion about black women. That
was the sin I don't forgive the guy for and those who were making his
case."

"I think that the only reason Clarence Thomas is on the Court is
because he is black. I don't believe he could have won had he been
white. And the reason is, I think it was a cynical ploy by President
Bush."

anyone? anyone?