Republicans react to Obama's victory with assassination threats, hate crimes, and other terrorism

1 view

A Man Beaten by Jacks

Nov 16, 2008, 8:09:47 PM11/16/08
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iEyLuiVkdd-f1RM5wnoR0kF4WbvgD94FHP480

Election spurs 'hundreds' of race threats, crimes

By JESSE WASHINGTON – 1 day ago

Cross burnings. Schoolchildren chanting "Assassinate Obama." Black
figures hung from nooses. Racial epithets scrawled on homes and cars.

Incidents around the country referring to President-elect Barack Obama
are dampening the postelection glow of racial progress and harmony,
highlighting the stubborn racism that remains in America.

From California to Maine, police have documented a range of alleged
crimes, from vandalism and vague threats to at least one physical
attack. Insults and taunts have been delivered by adults, college
students and second-graders.

There have been "hundreds" of incidents since the election, many more
than usual, said Mark Potok, director of the Intelligence Project at
the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate crimes.

One was in Snellville, Ga., where Denene Millner said a boy on the
school bus told her 9-year-old daughter the day after the election: "I
hope Obama gets assassinated." That night, someone trashed her
sister-in-law's front lawn, mangled the Obama lawn signs, and left two
pizza boxes filled with human feces outside the front door, Millner
said.

She described her emotions as a combination of anger and fear.

"I can't say that every white person in Snellville is evil and
anti-Obama and willing to desecrate my property because one or two
idiots did it," said Millner, who is black. "But it definitely makes
you look a little different at the people who you live with, and makes
you wonder what they're capable of and what they're really thinking."

Potok, who is white, said he believes there is "a large subset of
white people in this country who feel that they are losing everything
they know, that the country their forefathers built has somehow been
stolen from them."

Grant Griffin, a 46-year-old white Georgia native, expressed similar
sentiments: "I believe our nation is ruined and has been for several
decades and the election of Obama is merely the culmination of the
change.

"If you had real change it would involve all the members of (Obama's)
church being deported," he said.

Change in whatever form does not come easy, and a black president is
"the most profound change in the field of race this country has
experienced since the Civil War," said William Ferris, senior
associate director of the Center for the Study of the American South
at the University of North Carolina. "It's shaking the foundations on
which the country has existed for centuries."

"Someone once said racism is like cancer," Ferris said. "It's never
totally wiped out, it's in remission."

If so, America's remission lasted until the morning of Nov. 5.

The day after the vote hailed as a sign of a nation changed, black
high school student Barbara Tyler of Marietta, Ga., said she heard
hateful Obama comments from white students, and that teachers cut off
discussion about Obama's victory.

Tyler spoke at a press conference by the Georgia chapter of the NAACP
calling for a town hall meeting to address complaints from across the
state about hostility and resentment. Another student, from a
Covington middle school, said he was suspended for wearing an Obama
shirt to school Nov. 5 after the principal told students not to wear
political paraphernalia.

The student's mother, Eshe Riviears, said the principal told her:
"Whether you like it or not, we're in the South, and there are a lot
of people who are not happy with this decision."

Other incidents include:

_Four North Carolina State University students admitted writing
anti-Obama comments in a tunnel designated for free speech expression,
including one that said: "Let's shoot that (N-word) in the head."
Obama has received more threats than any other president-elect,
authorities say.

_At Standish, Maine, a sign inside the Oak Hill General Store read:
"Osama Obama Shotgun Pool." Customers could sign up to bet $1 on a
date when Obama would be killed. "Stabbing, shooting, roadside bombs,
they all count," the sign said. At the bottom of the marker board was
written "Let's hope someone wins."

_Racist graffiti was found in places including New York's Long Island,
where two dozen cars were spray-painted; Kilgore, Texas, where the
local high school and skate park were defaced; and the Los Angeles
area, where swastikas, racial slurs and "Go Back To Africa" were spray
painted on sidewalks, houses and cars.

_Second- and third-grade students on a school bus in Rexburg, Idaho,
chanted "assassinate Obama," a district official said.

_University of Alabama professor Marsha L. Houston said a poster of
the Obama family was ripped off her office door. A replacement poster
was defaced with a death threat and a racial slur. "It seems the
election brought the racist rats out of the woodwork," Houston said.

_Black figures were hanged by nooses from trees on Mount Desert
Island, Maine, the Bangor Daily News reported. The president of Baylor
University in Waco, Texas said a rope found hanging from a campus tree
was apparently an abandoned swing and not a noose.

_Crosses were burned in yards of Obama supporters in Hardwick, N.J.,
and Apolacan Township, Pa.

_A black teenager in New York City said he was attacked with a bat on
election night by four white men who shouted 'Obama.'

_In the Pittsburgh suburb of Forest Hills, a black man said he found a
note with a racial slur on his car windshield, saying "now that you
voted for Obama, just watch out for your house."

Emotions are often raw after a hard-fought political campaign, but now
those on the losing side have an easy target for their anger.

"The principle is very simple," said BJ Gallagher, a sociologist and
co-author of the diversity book "A Peacock in the Land of Penguins."
"If I can't hurt the person I'm angry at, then I'll vent my anger on a
substitute, i.e., someone of the same race."

"We saw the same thing happen after the 9-11 attacks, as a wave of
anti-Muslim violence swept the country. We saw it happen after the
Rodney King verdict, when Los Angeles blacks erupted in rage at the
injustice perpetrated by 'the white man.'"

"It's as stupid and ineffectual as kicking your dog when you've had a
bad day at the office," Gallagher said. "But it happens a lot."

Associated Press writers Errin Haines, Jerry Harkavy, Jay Reeves,
Johnny Taylor and researcher Rhonda Shafner contributed to this
report.

Deadmoney Walking

Nov 16, 2008, 8:52:56 PM11/16/08
On Nov 16, 8:09 pm, A Man Beaten by Jacks <nob...@fool.foo> wrote:
> http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iEyLuiVkdd-f1RM5wno...

Lot's of elected Republicans in that article.

dsm1

Nov 16, 2008, 8:58:37 PM11/16/08
> Republicans react to Obama's victory ...

I didn't see the word 'Republican' once in the article. How do you
know the threats aren't from bitter Hillary supporters, or from
unregistered voters?

> Insults and taunts have been delivered by adults, college

> students, and second-graders.

Did anybody think to ask these second graders who they voted for?
Maybe they voted for Nader like I did.

Will_gamble

Nov 16, 2008, 9:13:21 PM11/16/08
NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ztUMjvP0iU

-------

A Man Beaten by Jacks

Nov 16, 2008, 9:35:04 PM11/16/08
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 17:58:37 -0800 (PST), dsm1 <ds...@rock.com> wrote:

>> Republicans react to Obama's victory ...
>
>I didn't see the word 'Republican' once in the article. How do you
>know the threats aren't from bitter Hillary supporters, or from
>unregistered voters?

Because I'm not fucking retarded.

Robert Ladd

Nov 17, 2008, 12:20:06 AM11/17/08

"A Man Beaten by Jacks" <nob...@fool.foo> wrote in message

A good many of the "good ole' boys" that feel their world is coming to an
end because a black man has been elected President are just dumbass,
redneck, southern Democrats. Do you know for a fact that ANY of the threats
were issued by Republicans? Do you know for a fact that NONE of the threats
were issued by Democrats? Do you know for a fact that more of the threats
were issued by Republicans rather than Democrats?

I don't feel that you are retarded. You're just exceeding stupid. You
placed a subject on this thread showing your lack of any intelligent
thought.

I'm not a person that killfiles anyone, but I very much doubt I'll open any
of you posts again. You have no intelligent point of reference that would
compel me to read anything else you have to say.

Robert Ladd

risky biz

Nov 17, 2008, 12:54:32 AM11/17/08

Most second-grader's aren't old enough to vote but I'm not familiar with
your personal situation.

Why do you get so excited when someone expresses disapproval of racist
death threats?

----

FangBanger

Nov 17, 2008, 12:59:07 AM11/17/08

I like the line Denzel said to his brother in American gangster .. "the
loudest one is always the weakest "

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
Voltaire

looking for a better newsgroup-reader? - www.recgroups.com

bub

Nov 17, 2008, 1:01:39 AM11/17/08
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 21:35:04 -0500, A Man Beaten by Jacks
<nob...@fool.foo> wrote:

>Because I'm not fucking retarded.

don't sell yourself short..you are plenty retarded

bub

Nov 17, 2008, 1:17:06 AM11/17/08
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 20:09:47 -0500, A Man Beaten by Jacks
<nob...@fool.foo> wrote:

http://digg.com/movies/Death_of_a_President_Bush_Assassination_Movie_Debuts_in_Toronto

http://www.reuters.com/article/sarahPalin/idUSTRE49Q79N20081027
"Sarah Palin effigy hung in Halloween display"

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/p-j-gladnick/2008/10/08/james-carville-hints-riots-if-obama-loses

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/entertainment/17528426/detail.html
'SNL' Palin 'Incest' Skit Angers Viewers

http://www.mcculloughsite.net/stingray/2006/04/18/aclu-defends-student-who-threatened-to-kill-bush.php

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/feisty_nobel_peace_prize_winner_would_love_to_kill_bush/

yeah it's just those evil republicans.damn good thing those
democrat/liberals are so holy....just back from a week or so off so
i'm tired of the copy/paste thing so if you want other examples
,please consult the hired help

Message has been deleted

dsm1

Nov 17, 2008, 6:56:50 AM11/17/08
> Why do you get so excited when someone
> expresses disapproval of racist
> death threats?

Excited? I didn't use one exclamation point in my entire post.

da pickle

Nov 17, 2008, 7:28:21 AM11/17/08
"FangBanger"

> I like the line Denzel said to his brother in American gangster .. "the
> loudest one is always the weakest "

The irony

Will_gamble

Nov 17, 2008, 8:52:39 AM11/17/08

Nice catch

A Man Beaten by Jacks

Nov 17, 2008, 1:19:18 PM11/17/08

Coming from a knuckle-dragging trisomy victim like you, that's a
compliment.

bub

Nov 17, 2008, 7:26:39 PM11/17/08
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 13:19:18 -0500, A Man Beaten by Jacks
<nob...@fool.foo> wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 00:01:39 -0600, bub <b...@plotuss.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 21:35:04 -0500, A Man Beaten by Jacks
>><nob...@fool.foo> wrote:
>>

>>>Because I'm not fucking retarded.
>>
>>don't sell yourself short..you are plenty retarded
>
>Coming from a knuckle-dragging trisomy victim like you, that's a
>compliment.

ohhh, the old "i know you are but what am i" ploy
classic

risky biz

Nov 17, 2008, 10:03:51 PM11/17/08

But you keep stuttering and repeating yourself.

---