WSOP Questions

1 view

STroglen

Feb 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/15/00
Hi, Gang!
Please allow me to ask a couple of WSOP questions. I've never played in a
tournament this size, so I'm not quite sure how it works.
1) Entering a satellite for the $225. If I win that table, now what? Do I go
on to play in the super satellite with my seat paid? Must I win the super in
order to get to the championship round?
2) If I get no further than the satellite, can I at least tell my grandkids
that I did play in the WSOP, or must I get to the championship round to make
that claim?

I've checked out the WSOP web site (about time!!) and it answered many of my
questions, but not these. Thanks for your time, and maybe I'll get a chance to
meet some of you at the WSOP2K.

I love that town!
Scott

John H

Feb 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/15/00
On 15 Feb 2000 12:47:52 GMT, stro...@aol.comfreebeer (STroglen)
wrote:

A satellite and a supersattelite have the same function -- to put a
player into a WSOP event. The difference is that a sattelite is a
single table event while a supersattelite, in the WSOP context,
USUALLY means a multiple table event.

If you enter a single table $225 Satellilte, and win, you will then
have enough tournament entry chips/tokens to enter a $2000 buy-in
tournament.

If you enter a Supersattelite, which are usually held for the big
event, the $10,000 NL Holdem event, you should win enough to put you
in the big one, buy you'll have to beat a lot more players to get
there.

As to Q.2, well, no. a sattelite isn't a WSOP event. But what do your
grandchildren know. You can probably tell them that you cured polio
and they won't know the difference.

John Harkness

Apokerman

Feb 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/15/00
you cant be seruos can you if you never played in a event this big dont start
you'll need more practice

Matt Treasure

Feb 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/15/00
to STroglen
STroglen wrote:

> Hi, Gang!
> Please allow me to ask a couple of WSOP questions. I've never played in a
> tournament this size, so I'm not quite sure how it works.
> 1) Entering a satellite for the $225. If I win that table, now what? Do I go
> on to play in the super satellite with my seat paid? Must I win the super in
> order to get to the championship round?
> 2) If I get no further than the satellite, can I at least tell my grandkids
> that I did play in the WSOP, or must I get to the championship round to make
> that claim?
>
> I've checked out the WSOP web site (about time!!) and it answered many of my
> questions, but not these. Thanks for your time, and maybe I'll get a chance to
> meet some of you at the WSOP2K.
>
> I love that town!
> Scott

A single table satellite is a winner take all event. It is not a way to
gain entry into a super. If you win a satellite you will get tournament
chips called "lammers". These can be used to enter any WSOP event. Each
lammer will have it value on it. The amount to be won in a satellite is
a direct function of the entry fee for that satellite. The number of
players in the satellite, usually 9 or 10, times the entry fee tells
you how much can be won, minus the house cut. Usually these satellites
are related to the following days event. If tomorrows event is $1500
Limit Hold'em ,then the satellites today will be Limit Hold'em and the
entry fee will be in around $165.

A super satellite is actually a full size tournament. The winners get
paid seats in the 10K World Championship. The number of paid seats given
away depends on the number of entrants and rebuys. The only way to get
into a super is to pay the entry fee , which is $200 plus a house fee.

You can gain entry into the Championship in different three ways.

Pay the entry fee of $10,000

Win a single table satellite that will pay $10,000
( the entry fee for this will be around $1175 )

Win a Super Satellite
( entry fee of $200 with unlimited rebuys of $200 for one hour )

Matt Treasure

John H

Feb 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/15/00
On 15 Feb 2000 15:03:40 GMT, apok...@aol.com (Apokerman) wrote:

>you cant be seruos can you if you never played in a event this big dont start
>you'll need more practice

Tell that to Kevin McBride.

John Harkness

rounder...@yahoo.com

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00

> you cant be seruos can you if you never played in a event this big
dont start
> you'll need more practice

I don't know if it's just me but, I would really apreciate it if you
learned how to speak English before you posted again. A little better
attitude would be nice also.>

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Lee Jones

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00

Matt Treasure wrote:

> A single table satellite is a winner take all event. It is not a way to
> gain entry into a super. If you win a satellite you will get tournament
> chips called "lammers". These can be used to enter any WSOP event. Each
> lammer will have it value on it. The amount to be won in a satellite is
> a direct function of the entry fee for that satellite. The number of
> players in the satellite, usually 9 or 10, times the entry fee tells
> you how much can be won, minus the house cut. Usually these satellites
> are related to the following days event. If tomorrows event is $1500
> Limit Hold'em ,then the satellites today will be Limit Hold'em and the
> entry fee will be in around $165.

Right - but I need to add an important distinction:

If you win a one-table satellite for any event *other* than the $10K no-limit
hold'em,
you're given the "lammers" (though I've never heard them called that at Binions).
The lammers (aka "tournament buy-in chips") are (unofficially) resellable on the
open market. Just stand at the window where they're selling them (for $500 each),
and you can get $490-$495 each.

Also, you can work deals if you get down to 2-3 players at the table. For instance,
suppose
you're playing in a $500 single table satellite ($5K buy-in event => 10 lammers). You
get
down to three people, stacks are about even, somebody is *sure* to say, "How about
we take three chips each, and play for the last one?" You are well within your
rights
to accept, renegotiate, or decline the offer.

If you win a single table satellite for the $10K No limit hold'em (aka "The Big
Dance"),
they give you a certificate for the entry, which is *not* transferrable or
resellable.

The same is true for the super-satellites. If you win a seat in the super ($220
buy-in,
$200 rebuys), then you have a seat, and you can't sell or otherwise transfer it.

The only exception to the rules about the Big Dance one table satellites and the
super satellites: if you win a *second* (third, fourth,...) seat, then they give you
lammers, and you're off to the secondary market (or use them to enter other events,
whatever). O'Neil Longston made about $50K last year (the year before?) winning
super sats.

WI Badger

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
Nice to hear from you Lee.

To John H: Not only did Kevin McBride get to the Big Dance via
the Satellite route, but so did last years winner, Noel
Furlong. By the way, someone told me that Scotty got in
similarly.

John H

Feb 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/18/00

So did Tom McEvoy -- but my McBride was, by all reports, a relatively
inexperienced player, which the initial poster seemed to be. I don't
think that description fits Scotty or Noel Furlong.

John Harkness

Gary Carson

Feb 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/18/00

John H wrote in message <38acbfb7...@nntp.netcom.ca>...

>On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 16:14:01 -0800, WI Badger
><bj608N...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>>To John H: Not only did Kevin McBride get to the Big Dance via
>>the Satellite route, but so did last years winner, Noel
>>Furlong. By the way, someone told me that Scotty got in
>>similarly.

>So did Tom McEvoy -- but my McBride was, by all reports, a relatively
>inexperienced player, which the initial poster seemed to be. I don't
>think that description fits Scotty or Noel Furlong.

My recollection of the hype at the time is that McEvoy was inexperienced at
the time -- at least inexperienced at nolimit. I think he was limit holdem
pro who mostly played at the 10/20 or 20/40 games at Ceaser's at the time.
I think Rod Peate, who finished 2nd at WSOP that year was also an
inexperienced nolimit player who got in via satalitte.

Gary Carson

John H

Feb 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/18/00

But not an inexperienced poker player -- a pro, something McBride
didn't seem to be.

John

TheRobNJD

Feb 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/22/00
if you lost in a satellite couldnt you just enter another one, or simply pay
the entry fee into a tournament anyway?

John H

Feb 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/22/00
On 22 Feb 2000 21:34:50 GMT, ther...@aol.com (TheRobNJD) wrote:

>if you lost in a satellite couldnt you just enter another one, or simply pay
>the entry fee into a tournament anyway?

OF course.

John Harkness