Coping with losing streaks

Rob Oldfield

Oct 1, 2001, 6:52:08 PM10/1/01
So, what’s the best way of coping with a losing streak?

I’ve tried going with the fact that I know I’m better than the opponents,
but that doesn’t stop them outdrawing me at crucial times in three more
tournaments tonight. Is killing the opposition a viable option? How long
can this last?

Rob

Larry W. (Wayno) Phillips

Oct 1, 2001, 7:46:47 PM10/1/01

The time-honored advice for coping with a losing streak
usually goes something like this:
Tighten up; pull in your horns; play only the best hands;
play through it, or else leave the game.
(Another thought might be: DON'T leave the game. Sit there
and let it teach you something. We have to know how
to operate in these circumstances too. We can't just run
away every time something unfavorable happens in the game).
These are the "do's", but the "don'ts" are also important:
Don't (out of anger/frustration) start splashing a lot of money
around; don't offer to raise the stakes; down lower your
starting card standards; don't go on tilt; don't "chase", etc.
Remember, your table image has suffered; other players
are playing more confidently against you- some you may
have previously been intimidating out of their boxer shorts
have new confidence against you; some better players
are using your new-found hesitancy and doubt to make
moves on you, and so on.
Also, how is your game? Are you playing correctly to begin
with? Maybe there's more to it than just 'bad luck'.
Break down your game and see if you're doing stuff wrong.
Taking a break from the game for awhile is another option-
sometimes you have to just get away from it- start fresh
later, etc.
How long can it go on? Um, quite a while. Eventually the
sun does come out again though.

Wayno

Please excuse the poker content.

Steve Carbonara

Oct 2, 2001, 12:04:59 AM10/2/01
Rob Oldfield wrote...

> So, what's the best way of coping with a losing streak?

Learn about your weaknesses, and your opponents stregths. Invest in your
mental game.

<snip>

> How long can this last?

My worst losing streak was from late Feb until BARGE. I bled severly.

Hang in there, if you have a good game it will turn around.

The Baron

Oct 2, 2001, 5:31:00 AM10/2/01
In the following post, r...@oldfield100.freeserve.co.uk says...

Depending on the method, killing them can last between a few
microseconds when you actually do manage to get god to strike them down with
lightening all the way through taking years when you swap the real sour cream
back into their nightly order of potato-skins and try to take them out with
cholesterol.
Personally, if you can get enough game out of your deity of choice to
get the divine lightning, I'd go that route. No ballistics on a bolt out of
the blue.
;-)

Sorry... had to do it... been a VERY long week...

--
J.A. James
(The Bar0n)

Guy McCusker

Oct 2, 2001, 6:52:53 AM10/2/01
"Rob Oldfield" <r...@oldfield100.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> So, what's the best way of coping with a losing streak?

The only thing that works for me is, after calming down for a while
away from the table, to go back to play with the goal of
*playing well* rather than winning money. The money will come if you
play well; but I try not to think about that either. Just think about
playing well.

Guy.

Linda K Sherman

Oct 2, 2001, 1:12:35 PM10/2/01
The Baron wrote:

> In the following post, r...@oldfield100.freeserve.co.uk says...
> > So, what’s the best way of coping with a losing streak?
> >
> > ...Is killing the opposition a viable option? How long
> > can this last?

> Personally, if you can get enough game out of your deity of choice to

> get the divine lightning, I'd go that route.

It doesn't do any good. They're like cockroaches. You kill a few, but
more just come out of nowhere to take their place.
--
Linda K Sherman
To email me, replace ".dimsbam." with '@' in this address:

TallBill

Oct 2, 2001, 2:14:32 PM10/2/01
For me at least, taking the money/fear factor out is important.

In other words, I shouldn't sit down when I've reached the point of
being afraid to lose whatever my buy-in happens to be.

If you can avoid that, your perspective becomes much more like
treating your chips as "ammunition" rather than cash, and you can play
as if you're playing a game of wits, rather than one with significant
financial consequences.

One (among several) ways to do this is to find a game you beat
routinely, and add it to your mix.

So, for example, a guy like me, who's a very mediocre Hold-em player,
can finance his speculative hours at the Hold-em tables by beating up
on the poor fish at the Omaha H/L tables.

Makes it much easier to play, and focus on learning, my game of
choice.

~TallBill

Rob Oldfield

Oct 2, 2001, 6:16:27 PM10/2/01
Thanks for all the advice. But I like this idea best.

How about some system of wiring? On their own the SA, the D6 and a chip are
harmless. Put them together though and.... will 10,000 volts be enough?

North Shore Mike

Oct 2, 2001, 6:25:27 PM10/2/01
On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 00:04:59 -0400, "Steve Carbonara"
<stevec3...@juno.com> wrote:

>> How long can this last?
>
>My worst losing streak was from late Feb until BARGE.

Although I did in fact meet Mr. Carbonara at BARGE, there is
absolutely no truth to the rumour that this meeting was the prime
cause to the end of his losing streak.

North Shore Mike

http://www3.telus.net/northshoremike/northshoremike/
Photos, trip reports, and other lame crap
To reply via e-mail, take out the garbage.

Spambot bait: abuse@localhost postmaster@localhost

Snoball369

Oct 2, 2001, 10:42:53 PM10/2/01
If you have to ask what to do,it's time to take a break from the game....I
tried playing through a 3 month losing streak,playing 6days/week...not winning
one session...I now take a break from the game for at least 2 weeks when I
start to lose...A break will give you a calmer attitude when you return.The
fear of losing will not haunt you as much...Take a break,there's more to life
than a poker game,as strange as that sounds....Marty

Steve Carbonara

Oct 3, 2001, 11:33:34 AM10/3/01
North Shore Mike <pinhighTH...@canada.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 00:04:59 -0400, "Steve Carbonara"
> <stevec3...@juno.com> wrote:
>

> >> How long can this last?
> >
> >My worst losing streak was from late Feb until BARGE.
>
> Although I did in fact meet Mr. Carbonara at BARGE, there is
> absolutely no truth to the rumour that this meeting was the prime
> cause to the end of his losing streak.
>

> North Shore Mike

That honor goes to Abdul's lovely wife, Tonda.

During the TOC-like tourney (in which neither of us seemed to be dealt
playable hands) we were lamenting over who would bust out first, and receive
some ancient poker book as the "booby prize". Tonda felt sure it would be
her, and I was quite convinced I could outlast her, before being blinded
off. Alas, during the Omaha round, I flopped a set - only to make a crying
call to David Hubberman's rivered flush. Thus, I was the boob!

Anyway, Tonda really wanted the book, so I gave it to her. In return, she
gave me her place on the 10/20 hold'em waiting list, since they just called
her and she was still in the tourney. After a little begging and pleading
with the floor, I was allowed to be her surrogate.

I cashed in a couple of racks and a stack of green from that game. My first
winning session since, well...you know.

It's been biz as usual, ever since <knock, knock>.

Mike, however, ruined my golf game. I can no longer keep a straight face on
the tee, and have an overwhelming desire to aim my all shots at birds, and
other small animals.

Larry W. (Wayno) Phillips

Oct 3, 2001, 12:33:07 PM10/3/01
On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 11:33:34 -0400, "Steve Carbonara" wrote:

>Mike, however, ruined my golf game. I can no longer keep a straight face on

>the tee--

You ain't seen nuthing yet, Steve.

Sincerely,
Ping

North Shore Mike

Oct 3, 2001, 5:02:11 PM10/3/01
<stevec3...@juno.com> wrote:

>Mike, however, ruined my golf game.

This would imply that there was something there to ruin.

>I can no longer keep a straight face on
>the tee, and have an overwhelming desire to aim my all shots at birds, and
>other small animals.

Well, I guess the birds and small animals are relatively safe now, as
you rarely hit the ball where you're aiming.

;-)

All in good fun. I can't wait for Death March 2002.

David R Huberman

Oct 4, 2001, 3:43:13 AM10/4/01
Steve wrote:
> During the TOC-like tourney (in which neither of us seemed to be dealt
> playable hands) we were lamenting over who would bust out first, and receive
> some ancient poker book as the "booby prize". Tonda felt sure it would be
> her, and I was quite convinced I could outlast her, before being blinded
> off. Alas, during the Omaha round, I flopped a set - only to make a crying
> call to David Hubberman's rivered flush. Thus, I was the boob!

Woo hoo! I sucked out on Carbonara!

/david
suck-out artist, despite what Irish Mike may think about suck-out artists

Steve Carbonara

Oct 4, 2001, 1:57:56 PM10/4/01
Larry W. (Wayno) Phillips wrote...

> >Mike, however, ruined my golf game. I can no longer keep a straight face
on
> >the tee--
>
> You ain't seen nuthing yet, Steve.
>
> Sincerely,
> Ping

I swear, if you "Happy Gilmore" a putt in for a hole-in-one...I'm gonna go
on major tilt!

Steve Carbonara

Oct 4, 2001, 1:59:14 PM10/4/01
North Shore Mike wrote...

> >Mike, however, ruined my golf game.
>
> This would imply that there was something there to ruin.

And just who holed that crutial putt on 18 to take the match for our team?

> All in good fun. I can't wait for Death March 2002.

Ditto :)

Steve Carbonara

Oct 4, 2001, 2:00:26 PM10/4/01
David R Huberman wrote...

> Woo hoo! I sucked out on Carbonara!

And you should be different from everyone else...why?

Larry W. (Wayno) Phillips

Oct 4, 2001, 3:00:22 PM10/4/01
On Thu, 4 Oct 2001 "Steve Carbonara" wrote:

>I swear, if you "Happy Gilmore" a putt in for a hole-in-one...I'm gonna go
>on major tilt!

I only have two games: Happy Gilmore,
and Drunky Gilmore.

Wayno

North Shore Mike

Oct 4, 2001, 5:07:58 PM10/4/01
On Thu, 4 Oct 2001 13:59:14 -0400, "Steve Carbonara"
<stevec3...@juno.com> wrote:

>North Shore Mike wrote...
>
>> >Mike, however, ruined my golf game.
>>
>> This would imply that there was something there to ruin.
>
>And just who holed that crutial putt on 18 to take the match for our team?

Hmmm. I had conveniently forgotten that. You have also reminded me
that I took a double (my only one of the day) on 18.

Must have been the 80 or 90 beers I had the night before, finally
catching up with me.