top set in pl omaha 8

1 view

matt...@yahoo.com

Apr 9, 2006, 4:16:50 PM4/9/06
Did I play this right?
***** Hand History for Game 3929967459 *****
0/0 Omaha Hi/Lo Game Table (PL) - Sun Apr 09 16:08:44 EDT 2006
Table Table 95240 (No DP) (Real Money) -- Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: PlayingJ ( $33.20)
Seat 2: MrOnline ( $30.95)
Seat 3: ellen40 ( $24.41)
Seat 4: gorman321 ( $25.38)
Seat 5: rapadu ( $24.60)
Seat 6: toondogg ( $24.50)
Seat 7: Rendezvous ( $23.25)
Seat 8: mattb8818 ( $25)
Seat 9: RiverRat31 ( $15.19)
Seat 10: babenih ( $10.95)
ellen40 posts small blind (0.10)
gorman321 posts big blind (0.25)
mattb8818 posts big blind (0.25)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to mattb8818 [ 8h, 5h, Js, Jh ]
rapadu calls (0.25)
toondogg calls (0.25)
Rendezvous calls (0.25)
mattb8818 checks.
RiverRat31 calls (0.25)
babenih folds.
PlayingJ folds.
MrOnline calls (0.25)
ellen40 calls (0.15)
gorman321 checks.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Jc, 4h, 5d ]
ellen40 bets (0.75)
gorman321 folds.
rapadu calls (0.75)
toondogg folds.
Rendezvous calls (0.75)
mattb8818 raises (5.65) to 5.65
RiverRat31 folds.
MrOnline calls (5.65)
ellen40 calls (4.90)
rapadu folds.
Rendezvous calls (4.90)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ Kd ]
ellen40 checks.
Rendezvous checks.
mattb8818 bets (19.10)
mattb8818 is all-In.
MrOnline folds.
ellen40 calls (18.51)
ellen40 is all-In.
Rendezvous folds.
** Dealing River ** : [ Qd ]
Creating Main Pot with $59.37 with ellen40
Creating Side Pot 1 with $0.59 with mattb8818
** Summary **
Main Pot: $59.37 | Side Pot 1: $0.59 | Rake: $3
Board: [ Jc 4h 5d Kd Qd ]

PlayingJ balance $33.20, didn't bet (folded)
MrOnline balance $25.05, lost $5.90 (folded)
ellen40 balance $59.37, bet $24.41, collected $59.37, net +$34.96 [ Ts
3s 9s 2s ] [ a straight, nine to king -- Kd,Qd,Jc,Ts,9s ]
gorman321 balance $25.13, lost $0.25 (folded)
rapadu balance $23.60, lost $1 (folded)
toondogg balance $24.25, lost $0.25 (folded)
Rendezvous balance $17.35, lost $5.90 (folded)
mattb8818 balance $0.59, bet $25, collected $0.59, lost -$24.41 [ 8h 5h
Js Jh ] [ three of a kind, jacks -- Kd,Qd,Js,Jh,Jc ]
RiverRat31 balance $14.94, lost $0.25 (folded)
babenih balance $10.95, didn't bet (folded)

kevin cline

Apr 9, 2006, 5:41:36 PM4/9/06

mattb8...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Did I play this right?

> Dealt to mattb8818 [ 8h, 5h, Js, Jh ]

> ** Dealing Flop ** : [ Jc, 4h, 5d ]

> ** Dealing Turn ** : [ Kd ]
> ellen40 checks.
> Rendezvous checks.
> mattb8818 bets (19.10)
> mattb8818 is all-In.

> ellen40 calls (18.51)
> ellen40 is all-In.

> ** Dealing River ** : [ Qd ]
> Creating Main Pot with $59.37 with ellen40

> ellen40 balance $59.37, bet $24.41, collected $59.37, net +$34.96 [ Ts 3s 9s 2s ]

I think she made a very bad call on the turn. You could have had her
dominated both ways.

You made a good bet. You are winning even if you give her a flush
draw.

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1652135
pokenum -o8 8h 5h js jh - ts 3s 9s 2s -- jc 4h 5d kd
Omaha Hi/Low 8-or-better: 40 enumerated boards containing Jc Kd 5d 4h
cards scoop HIwin HIlos HItie LOwin LOlos LOtie EV
Js Jh 8h 5h 21 28 12 0 0 0 0 0.613
Ts 9s 3s 2s 12 12 28 0 15 0 0 0.388

milesaheadpoker

Apr 9, 2006, 6:23:52 PM4/9/06

I rather play a small pot on that flop.  The turn should have got your opponent
to fold, but you didn't need

1. 2 low cards on the flop
2. You don't have a realistic low draw

If a low card comes on the turn then your opponent is freerolling for a scoop.

Pot Limit o/8 is a much different game than o/8/  You can get smoked overplaying
sets without a low draw or another backup draw on certain types of flops.

* New Release: RecPoker.com v2.2 - http://www.recpoker.com

minus200(DELETETHIS)

Apr 9, 2006, 8:08:13 PM4/9/06
just keep in mind that the top set is the most expensive hand in Omaha8

davidwatts

Apr 9, 2006, 8:24:17 PM4/9/06
"minus200(DELETETHIS)" <"minus200(DELETETHIS)"@bellsouth.net> wrote:
: just keep in mind that the top set is the most expensive hand in Omaha8

Top set on the flop is ~40% to improve to a full house.
I'm not sure how likely it is to remain the best hand,
but I'm fairly certain that it's more than 10%, especially
if you bet overpairs out of the hand on the flop.

So there's lots of variance to be suffered from top set in
PLO, but on the whole it's more than profitable.

I think the most expensive hand in O8 is nut lo, btw.

dw

BestofBluff4

Apr 9, 2006, 8:38:28 PM4/9/06

Hey Kevin,
What did you use at the bottom to find out those odds, I'm impressed, but I
think you had a program do it, correct? What program is that?

On Apr 9 2006 5:41 PM, kevin cline wrote:

> mattb8...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Did I play this right?
>
> > Dealt to mattb8818 [ 8h, 5h, Js, Jh ]

> > ** Dealing Flop ** : [ Jc, 4h, 5d ]

> > ** Dealing Turn ** : [ Kd ]
> > ellen40 checks.
> > Rendezvous checks.
> > mattb8818 bets (19.10)
> > mattb8818 is all-In.
> > ellen40 calls (18.51)
> > ellen40 is all-In.

> > ** Dealing River ** : [ Qd ]
> > Creating Main Pot with $59.37 with ellen40
>
> > ellen40 balance $59.37, bet $24.41, collected $59.37, net +$34.96 [ Ts 3s 9s
> > 2s ]
>
> I think she made a very bad call on the turn. You could have had her
> dominated both ways.
>
> You made a good bet. You are winning even if you give her a flush
> draw.
>
> http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1652135
> pokenum -o8 8h 5h js jh - ts 3s 9s 2s -- jc 4h 5d kd
> Omaha Hi/Low 8-or-better: 40 enumerated boards containing Jc Kd 5d 4h
> cards scoop HIwin HIlos HItie LOwin LOlos LOtie EV
> Js Jh 8h 5h 21 28 12 0 0 0 0 0.613
> Ts 9s 3s 2s 12 12 28 0 15 0 0 0.388

Oliver Tse

Apr 9, 2006, 8:52:38 PM4/9/06

No, you didn't play it right.

On the flop, you realistically had a shot only at the high half of the pot.

You would have been in really bad shape against a "wrap" low straight draw such
as A23x.

A236 would have strangled you.

23xx for your opponent wasn't as bad for you, but was bad enough because you
opponent has 20 "outs" for at least half the pot, meaning that your opponent
would win at least half the pot about 70% of the time.  Your opponent wasn't
going anywhere.

Top set with no low draw on a flop with two low cards is a marginaly "drawing"
hand in PLO8.

A better play is to keep the pot small by calling, and FOLD if a 3rd low card
comes on the turn.

You should have waited to make that pot-sized bet on the turn when the King
came.

You opponent would still have the right odds to call on the turn, with 24 outs
to the river.  Your opponent would still be favored to win at least half the pot
(24 cards out of 44 would win at least 1/2 the pot.)

Your Online Poker Community - http://www.recpoker.com

torx

Apr 9, 2006, 10:30:04 PM4/9/06
just click the link ?
> > http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1652135

-Alexander Knopf
http://letsbuypokerstars.com

-----
looking for a better newsgroup-reader? - www.recgroups.com

Bob

Apr 10, 2006, 12:24:57 AM4/10/06
Yes you played it exactly right IF you could get away from it if a bad low wheel
card came on the turn. That is a big if and if you cant get out on a bad turn
then play the hand more passively. Dont listen to the hens here that say top set
is too expensive in plo8, because it can pay off huge pots that scoop and here's
why: when you flop top set of 9's or higher, and then fill up on the turn the
board by definition has not gone low yet, and often the only callers you get are
dominated high hands because by then the pot puts everyone all in (you bring the
max to the table right?). HOWEVER, if the flop had a flush draw AND any two low
cards you MUST play the hand slower like a draw since you are weaker, and
because somebody with the double nut draw will gladly reraise you the pot limit.
So, know yourself and remember that potting the flop is not that big a deal in
Omaha8 and the best players can pot it on one street and wind up folding the
next.

Bob

Apr 10, 2006, 12:37:36 AM4/10/06
Nah, even if he puts the opponent on the best low wrap, A236, here are the
numbers on the flop:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1652748

and turn:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1652747

Basically a coin flip on both streets. So how do you make money in PLo8? I make
it by pushing hard when I have the nuts or when I know my opponent is drawing.