sklansky vs. caro vs. jalib vs. malmuth

wgb

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
As a full time lurker and part time poster to both RGP and 2+2, I'm
constantly amazed at the sheer hatred that seems to be generated by the
opinions offered by the above experts.

One guy hates Caro. The next thinks Sklansky should be shot. One nutcase is
convinced Jalib knows nothing because he lost his ass at the Mirage one
night. Well I for one would like to express my appreciation to all the above
named experts (and all the others; you know who you are) for contributing so
much to the game of poker and for generating so much analysis, debate, and
insight into the game.

Sure opinions on certain points will vary. Caro and Malmuth differ greatly
in their respective approaches, but I've learned tons from both. And I don't
believe any of them profess to have the final word on the game. Besides,
that's what makes poker such a fascinating game. There is more than one way
to skin a cat. I wish the posters would spend more effort discussing
strategy than hurling insults and ad hominem arguments.

Phew. Feels good to get that off my chest.

Jim Geary

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
I thought from the header that this post was going to be about some
kind of battle-royale wrestling match, but was disappointed to see
that it was just some call for civility. For those of you who share
my disappointment I offer you the following fight of fancy:

sklansky vs. caro vs. jalib vs. malmuth

Abdul writes a lisp simulator that enumerates all possible sequences
and generates 4-D Matlab diagrams of the results. He finds that the
most important factor is who gets the bye in (virtual)round 2 when
there are three people left, so he tries to engineer the battle such
that he gets to stand around then. To do so, tho, it is imperative
that Caro be left standing in round 2 as Sklansky and Malmuth cannot
be left alone to wage battle against him at that time. Thinking that
Caro will be a natural ally, he sets upon Malmuth.

Sklansky sees that most of the natural enemies are paired modulo
himself and decides to take a button for a couple rounds and see how
things play out.

Caro decides to open the session with an image play, and immediately
goes after himself.

Malmuth, who must choose between going after Abdul or Caro would
seemingly lean towards attacking the smaller Abdul, but realizes
this is too self-weighting a strategy. The commutative property of
addition tells him it doesn't matter what order he goes after his
enemies, so instead he immediately sets upon the surprised Sklansky.

Pacifist Sklansky, who couldn't see the +EV in going into Vietnam,
was wofully unprepared for this turn of events and is quickly thrown
over the ropes.

Now Abdul and Malmuth find themselves engaged due to their already
adjacent proximity. Sometime in the middle of their slugfest, they
see in their peripheral vision Mike Caro resting in the far corner
laughing to himself. Realizing that whoever should win their battle
will face a rested Caro while they themselves would've just completed
two battles, they immediately agree to detente, and set upon Caro.
Caro tries taking out a two page add in Poker Digest, but it is too
late.

As Abdul Jalib and Malmuth square off solo, the crowd goes crazy.
This is the battle everyone paid to see.
Malmuth opens up with his famed Successful Publishing House hold,
but Abdul escapes with his patented Dissemination of Information
on the Internet manoeuvre. Mason counters that with his I Can
Join the Internet tooplustoo website attack, but Abdul finds a
loophole and counterattacks by posting the word _penis_ to said
site. Mason counters with his Emasculating Abdul's Presence
defence, which causes Abdul to go into his I Can Get Lots of
Smart Guys to Quit Posting gambit. Mason hadn't seen this one
before, and thought it was pure bluff, until all of a sudden
150-pound vegan bowling guru Tom Weideman rides into the arena
on his motorcycle and the crowd goes fuckin nuts. Weideman searches
the archives and thanks to the newly sped-up 2+2 server, is able
to unleash large quantities of math while simultaneously making his
whole head turn red. An embattled Mason is quickly thrown over
the ropes.

The fans are standing, yelling. The arena speakers are blasting
Suicidal Tendecies' "I Was President of the High School Math Club."
Tom and Abdul are loving the limelight.

But scant minutes later, an ever-EV-conscious Abdul suddenly
turns on Tom, hits him over the head with a chair while inquiring
What's the Derivative of X to the (n-k) You Idiot?

But that's another story....

The above is a totally fictional account and any resemblance to
actual events is purely coincidence. I have good relations with
all the protagonists of this story and trust that this should be
enough to overcome any good natured silliness.

Jim Geary | Can anyone tell I'm supposed to
jaygee at primenet dot com | be working on my thesis right now?
http://www.primenet.com/~jaygee|

baldy

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
hahahahahahahohohohohohohohoho(no tongue)

Heldar

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
Jim, that was pure genius.

Barbara Yoon

Dec 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/12/99
wgb:

> I'm constantly amazed at the sheer hatred that seems to be generated
> by the opinions offered by the above experts. ... ...hates Caro. ...thinks
> Sklansky should be shot. ...convinced Jalib knows nothing... Well I...
> express my appreciation...for contributing so much to the game...and
> for generating so much analysis, debate, and insight... ... Sure opinions
> on certain points will vary. Caro and Malmuth differ greatly... And I don't

> believe any of them profess to have the final word on the game.

Ummm...but it really does seem to me that at least a couple of those that
you mention indeed DO "profess to have the final word on the game."

Kyle

Dec 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/14/99
They do. In almost every book I read it says something along the lines of
"other books say this, ITS WRONG" That doesn't make them people to hate, It
just makes them people with more money than the guy that was wrong.

Barbara Yoon <by...@erols.com> wrote in message

MEEHAN1952

Dec 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/14/99
>Subject: Re: sklansky vs. caro vs. jalib vs. malmuth
>From: "Kyle" kyle_m...@hotmail.com
>Date: Tue, 14 December 1999 02:02 AM EST

Well. I greatly appreciate everyone's expression of thought and opinion, altho
as has been pointed out to me, I'm too internet-naive to distinguish between
commercial opportunism-hucksterism and reality.

But if you want to know *talent*, let's sit down and play. *Big*. Altho
pot-limit and no-limit trials tend to get distorted, becuz if you draw out on
somebody as an underdog for a $150,000 pot, it may take a *year* of 10-25
blinds to overcome it, generally speaking, over a thousand hours or so the
best players are going to get the money.
In a pure world, one *cannot* disagree with BYoon's analysis (e.g., 1.54 to 1)
but if these writers *really* believed in themselves, they would put their
money where their mouth is. But they don't. They're in the publishing
business, or playing 20-40 in some nit joint. I hasten to point out that I do
*not* herein refer to Mike Caro, whom I like and admire, nor other writers in
general except nits who won't put up their own money. My question, simply, is
this: are you a poker player, or a salesman?

Warmest personal regards,

Jim the Nit

Asha34

Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
Jim,
A professional poker player IS a salesman.

Ashley

Andrew Prock

Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
According to MEEHAN1952 <meeha...@aol.com>:

>In a pure world, one *cannot* disagree with BYoon's analysis (e.g., 1.54 to 1)
>but if these writers *really* believed in themselves, they would put their
>money where their mouth is. But they don't. They're in the publishing
>business, or playing 20-40 in some nit joint.

>My question, simply, is this: are you a poker player, or a salesman?

I find this question to be very apt and important, especially in light
of the recent "challenge" issued by Sklansky with respect to authors
posting to twoplustwo. In a game that is measured in money, he who
takes home the biggest bucks is the winner.

(Of course, we could have some long and boring discussion about whether
one could/would/should include publication earnings in the bottom line
of ones poker career, but I think we all agree that that is not really
poker :)

- Andrew

MEEHAN1952

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
Ash...@aol.com wrote:

Well of course you're right. But I'd like to bust 'em all. And will welcome
the opportunity.

And I promise I will not write a book about busting nits, lice and morons.
Where's the challenge in *that*? ...

Do you - *not* the specific "you", Ashley, but the general "you" of RGP'ers
and poker players, have any idea of the skill difference between 300-600
players and 20-40 players.? So beyond the realm of comprehension that the
20-40 authors write books, and *still* can't figure out why they're *so*
unlucky that they can't win at 300-600.

Well. I'm just agreeing with you, so why write more?

Minneapolis Jim